The Way We All Go [BxG] [Horror, romance] [Complete]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

The Way We All Go [BxG] [Horror, romance] [Complete]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

Synopsis:
The Way We All Go is a hybrid horror/romance visual novel in which you play as ‘Atcchan’, a teenage boy shorter than the rest of his peers, who is only ever addressed by his childhood nickname.
It’s been two years since he left his hometown; a small, sleepy village with a tiny population. Now, he is finally able to return – but only for three days. How will his old friends react to him, and how will their relationships change…?
For a person who’s always been afraid of change, this is a worrying prospect for our hero… but it is something he will have to overcome if he can ever hope to right his past wrongs and regain the trust of his friends. And a failure to do so can result in some rather unpleasant outcomes…

Features:
-3 girls with a route each
-lots of choices
-200,000 words
-20 endings
-multiple ways to die

Main Characters:

Atcchan: The first person narrator and protagonist. Always goes by his old nickname, even though he doesn't like it very much. Is very short for his age, and has a complex about it. Is shy and easily embarrassed, and is easy to tease. Feels a great deal of guilt about leaving his old home without telling Noelle, and never writing any letters to her.

Jougasaki Amu: Atcchan's childhood friend. A cheerful and boistrous girl who helps out at her dad's café (although she hates this job with a burning passion). Is usually light-hearted and cheerful, never taking anything seriously, and regards making fun of Atcchan as her 'hobby'. Her dream is to move away to the city, as she dislikes living in such a small village, and often feels isolated or cut off from the 'real world'.

Sakata Noelle: Atcchan's childhood friend. A strange girl who often has an expresionless look on her face. Although she sometimes makes odd or deadpan jokes when she's with Atcchan, she's incredibly shy around strangers, to the point of being rendered mute. As she doesn't talk much, often preferring to sit by herself and draw, she finds it hard to make friends.

Side characters:

Onodera Eri: One of Amu's old friends, but the two don't seem to get along very well anymore. Likes to affect elegant mannerisms, and acts like a prim and proper lady - but when she gets flustered or embarrassed, she can sometimes start to talk in a surprisingly crude way. She's bad at being honest with her feelings, and is more anxious than it appears at a glance.

Onodera Tsuzumi: Eri's big sister. Runs a small antiques store in town - but it's a wonder she hasn't gone out of business yet, as she is unceasingly rude and/or apathetic to all her customers, and often ignores them or overcharges them. She is very over-protective of her little sister, and often lavishes her with over-the-top displays of affection, to Eri's great embarrassment.

Screenshots:

Edit: The game has been completed and can be downloaded here
Last edited by ebi-hime on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Re: The Way We All Go [BxG] [Horror, yandere, romance]

#2 Post by Fenrir34 »

The art for this game is so cute :D and I like the plot of the story. But I must say that 200,000 words are a lot :shock: . Did you do it by yourself?

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

Fenrir34 wrote:The art for this game is so cute :D and I like the plot of the story. But I must say that 200,000 words are a lot :shock: . Did you do it by yourself?
Yep, I wrote it all myself n_n''
But since there are different routes in the game... I guess any individual route would only be about 50-60k or so (though some are longer than others), so it would actually be quite a bit shorter just to have one playthrough.
It's nowhere near as long as some visual novels... like Clannad... which is massive XD
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#4 Post by pickle131 »

I'll keep an eye on this~
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#5 Post by curry nochi rice »

does this include gore? I want to see blood splattered all over the screen for the yandere feels.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#6 Post by Fenrir34 »

ebi-hime wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:The art for this game is so cute :D and I like the plot of the story. But I must say that 200,000 words are a lot :shock: . Did you do it by yourself?
Yep, I wrote it all myself n_n''
But since there are different routes in the game... I guess any individual route would only be about 50-60k or so (though some are longer than others), so it would actually be quite a bit shorter just to have one playthrough.
It's nowhere near as long as some visual novels... like Clannad... which is massive XD
Wow, that's a lot of work. I congratulate you :) . And cool, I like it a lot. I'll keep an eye on this.

And I never played the games Clannad except a fan made versions. Have played Summer Hour Glass and that is long to. But you're game, in this community, is quite one of the long ones. I'm just really impressed you did it by yourself.

Anyway, good luck and I hope to see this soon :)

ebi-hime
Veteran

#7 Post by ebi-hime »

curry nochi rice wrote:does this include gore? I want to see blood splattered all over the screen for the yandere feels.
There will be some blood splattered across the screen at certain points, with fitting sound effects! This all depends on what ending you get though. If you manage to avoid upsetting any of the girls too much, you might not run across any of the violent or gory scenes.
Fenrir34 wrote: Wow, that's a lot of work. I congratulate you :) . And cool, I like it a lot. I'll keep an eye on this.

And I never played the games Clannad except a fan made versions. Have played Summer Hour Glass and that is long to. But you're game, in this community, is quite one of the long ones. I'm just really impressed you did it by yourself.

Anyway, good luck and I hope to see this soon :)
Thank you! I will do my best >w<
I am a little worried about making something so long, because often stories that get too overly bloated can end up with a lot of unecessary 'filler' that doesn't move the story forwards... I am trying hard to avoid this, ahaha... n_n''

ebi-hime
Veteran

#8 Post by ebi-hime »

I just added the character sprites for the side characters.
Finally, all the character sprites are done!~

Sayashiro
Regular
Projects: Freak-Quency, Cafe Memoria, Amplitude, Spring Breeze, Escape from Puzzlegate, Project Aivisu, All the Pretty Flowers

#9 Post by Sayashiro »

This looks awesome so far! Love the artwork. I look forward to playing this game when it is done.
/ Sayaka Mashiro / Voice-Over Artist / Casting Director /
l Website l http://sayashiro.wix.com/sayakamashiro l

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#10 Post by Kinjo »

This looks really good! I'll check it out when it's finished!

ebi-hime
Veteran

#11 Post by ebi-hime »

Thank you for the comments!
I will try my best :'D

And I think the art is cute too n_n I am very grateful to the artist, since I can't draw at all. I was surprised she was able to create something so adorable from the very rough and messy sketches I sent her XD

ebi-hime
Veteran

#12 Post by ebi-hime »

Added a small update.

As of now, the whole script has been finished. Now, it needs to be edited - which may take a month or so. The whole story is around 198k words, and there are 3 routes and 17 endings. I am also worried it might be a little too hard to get to any of the 'good' endings - you need to make a lot of very specific choices, and if you get minor things wrong you can get kicked into a bad ending without much warning of where you went wrong. However, since it is a 'yandere' game, if it was too easy to go through the story and never trigger any bad events, it wouldn't live up to its promises of at least minimal gore and violence... It is tricky for me to work out just how difficult this VN should be...
I was thinking about including a full walkthrough of the VN in a word file alongside the download of the game, so if people don't want to get stuck for ages only getting bad endings, they can just look at that. Do people think that is a good idea?

I also uploaded an image of the GUI (though I might make more tweaks to it later... It's perfectly functional, but I don't know if it looks nice enough.....)

I also need the CG art to be finished, which might take a little while. There aren't going to be many CGs (I think, at this point, only about 5 or 6), so I hope the quality of writing can make up for it. I'll post an example of the CGs soon.

I am going to work my hardest to make a visual novel that people can enjoy >_<

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#13 Post by tiya_nofurita »

The art is just so cute....but yandere is justice :>
is this gonna be second Higurashi? lol :p
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

#14 Post by plaster »

*twiddles thumbs impatiently*

I must say, though, 198k is an impressive/intimidating amount of words. It's like 2½ novels for the price of one!

suzuaki
Regular
Completed: Violet White Hill

#15 Post by suzuaki »

i really love the characters!! ^ ^ the story also seems interesting. good luck!
(┓^ω^)┛))ヨイサヨイサ♪(┓^ω^)┛))

completed work : Violet White Hill [GxB/G VN][Mystery/Comedy/Romance/Voiced]
Find me on : devianArt | SoundCloud | YouTube