Dark Nights [Otome,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery][DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

Re: Dark Nights [Otome,GxB,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery]

#106 Post by Pinlin »

Happy halloween everyone! A small doodle of the main cast as Riding Bluehood & The small bad Wolf

Left to right:
​Kurato as dad - Zeikun as hunter - Heroine as riding hood - Sachiro as wolf - Junoru as grandpa
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Akemi-Takashi
Regular
Deviantart: Akemi-Takashi

#107 Post by Akemi-Takashi »

Oh my gosh! That drawing is so adorable XD
Free to do anything related to English grammar such as proofreading or scripts! ;)

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained." (Proverb)

Pinlin
Regular

#108 Post by Pinlin »

It has been a while I posted an update. Here is a preview of interface and first few minutes of the prologue.

I want to replace the main menu background, because the current one looks too simple to my taste. I haven’t figured out how to customize a box where you can set the player’s name. If anyone is experienced with that code, please contact me or post a reply.

Preview credits:
Background art, character art, interface and script by Pinlin
Music by Suwa, Nyanfood
Main menu theme by Wytesong
Sound effects from various resources

Please let me know what you think!
Here a doodle of Sachiro. Late for valentine, but today is white day :3c
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#109 Post by Rinima »

Oh it's looking really good! That CG right at the end is super pretty!
Music by Nyanfood
How in the holy hell did you get Nyanfood for music?!?
Seriously that just makes me more excited to play!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Pinlin
Regular

#110 Post by Pinlin »

Rinima wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am Oh it's looking really good! That CG right at the end is super pretty!
Music by Nyanfood
How in the holy hell did you get Nyanfood for music?!?
Seriously that just makes me more excited to play!
Thank you, I'm glad you like the art! I'm friends with Nyanfood for years. Aside from soundtracks, she composed and wrote the opening song. You will see that after I'm done with the animation!
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Pinlin
Regular

#111 Post by Pinlin »

Tumblr asks and doodle replies.

Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

#112 Post by crystalscm »

Oh my! Your drawings are as great as always, Pinlin!
Honestly though, I'd kill for Blace / Jace to have a route, even if they were the two-in-one type of route or if they happened to be the darkest routes in the game. I think I actually like routes on the darker side, actually (though I like my romance too!)
But that's me, and I guess my voice hardly matters with so many other people, I guess... Speaking of, where's the popularity poll? I didn't catch it, but then again, I may be behind (or too ahead?) on the times.

I love Junoru's face-palm though... and is that a blush I see?
Anyway, it's been kind of a long time since I last commented here, but it's good to see the game going through, even if it's just trudging along slowly!

Pinlin
Regular

#113 Post by Pinlin »

crystalscm wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 am Oh my! Your drawings are as great as always, Pinlin!
Honestly though, I'd kill for Blace / Jace to have a route, even if they were the two-in-one type of route or if they happened to be the darkest routes in the game. I think I actually like routes on the darker side, actually (though I like my romance too!)
But that's me, and I guess my voice hardly matters with so many other people, I guess... Speaking of, where's the popularity poll? I didn't catch it, but then again, I may be behind (or too ahead?) on the times.

I love Junoru's face-palm though... and is that a blush I see?
Anyway, it's been kind of a long time since I last commented here, but it's good to see the game going through, even if it's just trudging along slowly!
I'm glad you enjoy my art!
IF Blace and Jace were to have a route, it would be two in one. Originally they were only involved with each other, but after I placed them in Dark Night's world, they have interactions with Junoru and Kurato. I think many characters have dark routes. After all this game is called DARK nights -- sorry, this pun.
It is not quantity that matters, but the quality of votes. It is my pleasure to create work for people that enjoy. Although, the popularity is obvious when a character wins by many votes. This poll was created when I launched the website, so it is around 2 years old counting votes from then to now I'm writing this post. I only wanted to know if the characters look interesting. Note that this poll doesn't count in the final evaluation. I will create another one after the demo (for the main characters only) and full release.

On the top are the main options. "Other" indicates side characters that may caught your interest more than the main. Below you could fill in if you picked ''other''.
Roya is actually placed 2nd with 18 votes. Some people wrote his name wrong and the system counted that as separated answer. Blace and Jace share 4th place with 14 votes. The poll is still up for those that are interested to check out. http://darknights-time.weebly.com/

Yes, that is a blush. You got the subtle hint ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) The project goes slow, but steady. At the moment I'm working on the opening video. As a beginner, I need to learn everything. Watching tutorials eats my time.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Pinlin
Regular

#114 Post by Pinlin »

The trailer is up! I'd be happy to receive your feedback on our video ^_^

Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Akemi-Takashi
Regular

#115 Post by Akemi-Takashi »

Oh my, I love the trailer ~ <3
When I saw the graphics at 0:53, I was like, "Wow! Aesthetics!"
I'm just curious about some things. With the trailer, what kinds of things are you trying to portray about your game? What kind of mood are you trying to set?
All in all, though, keep up the great work!
Free to do anything related to English grammar such as proofreading or scripts! ;)

Pinlin
Regular

#116 Post by Pinlin »

Akemi-Takashi wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 pm Oh my, I love the trailer ~ <3
I'm just curious about some things. With the trailer, what kinds of things are you trying to portray about your game? What kind of mood are you trying to set?
The backgrounds are all used in the game. The advantage of being animator and artist is I can create my own assets.
I thought of these questions before I made the video. I want to lead the viewer through Dark Night's world, the aesthetics and plot. In the first half the scenes look bright. In the second half everything goes darker. I want to leave a hint of mystery. I hope these notes are visible in the video.

Thank you, the development goes smooth so far!
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Akemi-Takashi
Regular

#117 Post by Akemi-Takashi »

Pinlin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Akemi-Takashi wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:25 pm Oh my, I love the trailer ~ <3
The backgrounds are all used in the game. The advantage of being animator and artist is I can create my own assets.
I thought of these questions before I made the video. I want to lead the viewer through Dark Night's world, the aesthetics and plot. In the first half the scenes look bright. In the second half everything goes darker. I want to leave a hint of mystery. I hope these notes are visible in the video.

Thank you, the development goes smooth so far!
The hints of mystery and slight suspense is projected quite well with the visuals ^_^ I was wondering if that was your intention, so kudos to you :D
I guess I was just iffy because I needed to understand the song and for it to grow on me a bit more haha. I mean, the music's wonderful! I just needed to connect with it a bit more, partially because I don't know what the lyrics mean XD

Pinlin
Regular

#118 Post by Pinlin »

Akemi-Takashi wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm The hints of mystery and slight suspense is projected quite well with the visuals ^_^ I was wondering if that was your intention, so kudos to you :D
I guess I was just iffy because I needed to understand the song and for it to grow on me a bit more haha. I mean, the music's wonderful! I just needed to connect with it a bit more, partially because I don't know what the lyrics mean XD
After posting, I realized some things can be done better. I'll use the improved version in the demo. I added the English lyrics in the description, but I will post it here to make it easier:

「 English Lyrics」

In these walls, their hands can never reach us.
Past these doors, their words can never hurt us.

It's not your breathing,
it's not your heartbeat sounding step by step
Unlocking all the secrets in me.

It's not your screaming,
It's not you telling me to stay strong.
You weren't wrong but it takes more just to keep me sane.

Do you think it's a game?
Do you think I'll be played?
Are you looking to fall?
Are you looking to fade?

Soon the knight takes pawn,
and the rook takes the knight.
Time to send out your queen
if you're asking to fight.

Why aren't you scared of heights?
If you climb then you will fall.
How can you bear to understand?

The doors that guard my truth,
you open in my name.
Cruel prophet of my fate, I know
I'm just another secret, you're no
Cinderella waiting to be saved,
You're why my heart's no longer mine.
---------------------------------------------------

I hope this makes the message clear! The composer originally sang the song in English, but I thought Japanese sounds more cool lol.
I think to gather all songs done for Dark Nights and post it at once.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#119 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I'm so glad you're still working on this Pinlin.

Pinlin
Regular

#120 Post by Pinlin »

Lesleigh63 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 pm I'm so glad you're still working on this Pinlin.
My passion won't burn out. Once I have my eyes set on it, it will not escape from my sight!

Recetly I recruit 6 editors and 3 proof readers. They went through the script and found many errors. I have to edit the script again.
Other than that, the process goes smooth. It is just time consuming to triple check everything.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project: