Dark Nights [Otome,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery][DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

Dark Nights [Otome,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery][DEMO]

#1 Post by Pinlin »

The game is released! You can download the full version on itch.io: https://pinlin.itch.io/darknights

Development blog: http://darknights-time.weebly.com/
Tumblr: http://darknightsblog.tumblr.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/darknights_off
Discord chat server:https://discord.gg/b7wwHhx

♦ Game info ♦

Commercial or free? It will be free
Release date? 31 October 2019
Screensize: 1280 x 720
Genre: Mystery, fantasy, romance, horror, psychological
Rate: 16+ for violence, blood and suggestive themes

There are 3 different type endings per route.

Romantic End | Normal End | Death End

♦ Features ♦

♦ 4 routes, each with a unique storyline
♦ 16 possible endings, 4 per storyline
♦ At least 10 hours playtime - 60,000 - 70,000 words per storyline. Total 270,608 words
♦ 8+ side characters, vary per route.
♦ 60 CG art/20+ cut scenes
♦ 60 Original background art
♦ 40 Original soundtracks
♦ 29 Achievements
♦ Opening video
♦ Bonus material

♦ Story ♦

The protagonist is student who has no goals in life. She lives in a calm village and grows bored of the environment. Despite her potentials, she doesn’t work to develop them. Suddenly disappearances occur in the village. At the same time the protagonist meets new faces. It is suspected that a new resident is possibly involved in the events. The protagonist chooses one to investigate. From there the plot separates in four different story lines. Along the story she realizes what is important to her and discovers new things about her environment.
The story is told through moving sprites, original background art, unique illustrations and original soundtracks. Despite the title, Dark Night’s world is vibrant with visuals. The story appears to be slice of life, but it quickly gets down to its true color.

♦ Main characters ♦

Miyoko (can be changed):
The heroine (you) in this story. A strong, badass and intelligent daredevil.

Junoru:
Just like his appearance, he is a real gentle man. He always speaks in a polite manner and is kind to the heroine.
On the other hand his expression always carries a little bit of sadness. He is often absent-minded, which makes
the heroine wonder what he is thinking about.

Kurato:
A strange guy who suddenly appear in front of the heroine's house. After a few incidents and misunderstandings, he is labeled
as a stalker. Despite his cheerful personality, the heroine suspect his true intentions are different.

Sachiro:
He is a little shy around new people, but keeps his friendly attitude. He is often seen alone during night. Somehow he
disappears exactly when the murders occur. He may not look harmful, but what is hidden behind this innocent face?

Zeikun:
Blunt and straight forward character. He prefers to be alone and often chases others away. Despite his cold attitude,
he saves the heroine on the verge of death. Since he avoids questions, the heroine thinks he is hiding something.

♦ Side characters ♦

Lioji:
Miyoko's childhood friend. His father works as investigator and he is up to date with latest news.

Ikuya:
Another childhood friend. Almost the opposite of Lioji and often worries about the heroine. Ikuya knows how to lighten the mood.

Rasumi:
Mysterious student from other class.

Roya:
Older brother of Junoru. He is arrogant and doesn't trust people easily.

Kaichi:
Elite class student. He is sensetive about comments on his looks. Normally he is composed, and spends most of his time in the library.

Chain:
Mysterious man that acts suspiciously around you.

Blace:
Transfer student and twinbrother of Jace. His cold attitude makes him disliked by most of his classmates.

Jace:
Transfer student and twinbrother of Blace. Acts friendly on the surface, but is cautious.

♦ Questions for you ♦

1. Which character is your favorite/looks the most interesting and why?
2. What are your overall thoughts of this concept?

♦ Solo project ♦

Story, sprite art, bg art, cg art, GUI and programming are done by myself. Currently, I'm working with a few composers
to create original soundtracks and sound effects. This game will NOT have voice acting. It may change my mind depending on
how much support this project gets.
Feel free to ask questions and please tell me your opinions!

♦ Update Log ♦
31 October 2019:Game release.
12 July 2019: Update game info.
14 April 2018: Added trailer.
21 March 2018: Edited progress. The demo is playable and we are working on the opening video. Last ingredient for the release!
10 March 2018: Preview video and edited progress
8 October 2017: Update previews and edited progress.
14 June 2017: Update previews and changed resolution to HD.
29 April 2016: I haven't updated this post for nearly a year.
From now on I will drop any new content in this post as well as the site. As a beginner, I totally underestimated
the workload of making a VN. I apologize for keeping you wait while making updates that it will be finished soon.
On the other hand, I'm grateful to all old and new supports for the feedback and support. Your words drive me
on to continue and I will keep my promises.
5 August 2015: Thank you so much for the support everyone!
It's been a long road but we are close to finish this project. I have replaced the screenshots because I changed
my art style during the months. Also updated the progress and game info. Please follow my blog for more recent updates.
1- 7 September 2014: I apologize for lack of updates for a while. The project is still ongoing, I made an official site.
Please follow me here! http://darknights-time.weebly.com/
- Added some background and GUI preview
- Updated progress
Last edited by Pinlin on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am, edited 32 times in total.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Zauria

Re: Dark Nights [Otome,GxB,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery]

#2 Post by Zauria »

I am actually really interested in Chain ^_^ sadly he is a side character :( He looks dark and cool, that type of guys have always been my type :D
2. You would play the game if it has some horror art? (as mentioned, just 16+ soft horror)
OMG! I LOVE HORROR! YES! DEFINITELY!

Pinlin! Your art is awesome! It's so pretty!

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

#3 Post by Mimi_Melody »

1. Well I'm interested in Junoru the most, that type of nice & kind guy but you know nothing about ;) I'm hoping to find out more about his background in the game XD (Aaaand guys in uniforms are hot~)
2. Sure why not? If it's scary then I'll choose some time in the morning with lights to play.
Notes: Wow, the art looks awesome!!! I'm so happy that you make this for FREE *cries* Everything looks beautiful, the BGs and even the GUI! Really looking forward to the full game and good luck! <3
Ps. Chain somehow reminds me of Clear from Dramatical Murder (the guy with mask and all)

letheria

#4 Post by letheria »

Everything looks perfect so far. Not to mention it's also free. I totally support you ; w ;)/

1. It's hard to tell at the moment so I can say I like them all. You did a wonderful job at designing.
2. There's no reason for me to say no. Horror element can make the game more interesting.

Good luck with this project. I'll keep an eye on this c :

shiho14
Regular

#5 Post by shiho14 »

Nice art!

Chain got my attention instantly. Why do I always fall for side characters T_T Aside from him, I like Junoru. I like the quiet types because they seem so mysterious that you want to get to know them better.

2. You would play the game if it has some horror art? (as mentioned, just 16+ soft horror)
Definitely! I love horror games so I really think it's awesome I get to play an otome horror game ^_^

Wow! your art is really amazing and I'm really happy this is Free! Can I hug you right now? Would you like some cookie? :D

Omniknight
Veteran

#6 Post by Omniknight »

I SINCERELY suggest you get another person (Whether it be a programmer or a musician) to work with you...

Becuz solo projects rarely get finished and, this is one of the few WIP projects I REALLY look forward to playing. I might even suggest a collab if our studio settles down a bit :D

chickenhearted
Regular
Projects: Romancin Dudes(GxB)
Organization: chickandnugget
Tumblr: chickandnugget

#7 Post by chickenhearted »

I really, really like your art. Like, really.

Probably Kurato. Because I like his... color scheme haha
Idk, I just like his character design. He's cute.

Yep, I think I'd be more compelled to play it if it did.

Pinlin
Regular

#8 Post by Pinlin »

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, it courages me to work faster and harder *_*
The game is free because I LOVE otome games and I'd like to share my story/world with everyone xD I'm really glad you guys like my artstyle, whereof I was a little worried about that it's not good enough lolz (I'd like to make art which can compared to those commercial ones xD)

I see Chain got the most fans lol~ Besides him there will be more badass characters, like the guy in my avatar.
I know these characters are popular but I don't often see such characters on the forums o_o

I didn't know so many people like horror o__o I never posted any horror artwork before, because I thought people would dislike it.
Omniknight wrote:I SINCERELY suggest you get another person (Whether it be a programmer or a musician) to work with you...

Becuz solo projects rarely get finished and, this is one of the few WIP projects I REALLY look forward to playing. I might even suggest a collab if our studio settles down a bit :D
I'm glad to hear your excitement and I promise I won't let this project down. I'm someone who won't let it go once I got my eyes on it, especially something I love to do.
To be honest I'm not very good at collabs when it comes to big projects. So far I tried a few times to work with people, but usually I'm the one who end up disappointed XD""
Till now I haven't had any trouble even not with programming haha (I'm a complete newbie XD)
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#9 Post by Chasing Summer »

1. Sachiro, Chain (iwhy can’t I date u!? D:) and --- Okay, I like them all. I’m an indecisive person. *insert pouty face*
2. Sure, I don’t mind horror. I really like horror, but only when it has quality and doesn’t feel forced.

People might already have commented on this, but I will say it again, you have very pretty art!

I hope the story and music is equally good. You’re also handling a pretty big project by yourself – which is impressive. I am definitely going to follow your progress in this thread. Good luck!
new account: sonnenblumen

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by try10 »

GORGEOUS ART STYLE! I think I'm in love! :D

1. I like Chain. I really wish he was romanceable... :(
2. I enjoy playing horror games and I'm sure this one will be awesome. ;) WE NEED MORE HORROR GAMES WITH HOT, CREEPY AND MYSTERIOUS GUYS and good plot! :oops:

I wish you luck in finishing this project! :)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#11 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Bookmarked instantly! Goodness, all this quality otome coming to the fourms is making me one happy chickadee ^^

Zeikun. I like his design best and he has that wildcard/bad boy factor about him that I love.

Yes I would. I'm not a fan of horror, at all, but, as long as it's soft core and not the focus I think I'll be good.

Art's lovely like everyone's said, and you're doing a good job on the GUI aspects thought the title's font is a little hard on the eyes. No worries seeing as I have no eye for design when it comes to those things lol

One thing I'd advise is to get a solid editor beside you. A lot of your sentences are choppy and or in need of revisions for technical aspects. I suspect English might not be your native language? If so, that's even more reason to do so. I can sympathize with having a lot to do and people flaking out constantly. I'm that flaky person a lot of the times orz;;; Just take things slow and don't get too burnt out.

Happily awaiting updates!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

snowflakes
Regular
Projects: Improve my art
Deviantart: vychi

#12 Post by snowflakes »

First of all, I'm speechless. WOW. Dat Artwork maaaan. Love all the sprites and those CG. You're very talented! I also like the history, considering that it's focused in the Otome part. I'm looking forward to this project the most, I think :'D Keep this project, please, and request help if you need it. Good luck and support for you and your amazing project !!
Chain, but he's not a obtanaible one, so I think I choose Kurato. He seems very misterious and I like his sprite *¬*
-please consider to do a route for Chain pleaseeeeeeeeeeee *fangirl scream*-
Obviously. I Love horror and Otome genres, so this could be the game of the year for me xD.
Lots of love to you and your project ^-^

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#13 Post by pickle131 »

Hm....Sachiro I think. He just looks so adorable haha! But I also really like Junoru.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as it fit with the storyline.
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Pinlin
Regular

#14 Post by Pinlin »

Hazel-Bun wrote: One thing I'd advise is to get a solid editor beside you. A lot of your sentences are choppy and or in need of revisions for technical aspects. I suspect English might not be your native language? If so, that's even more reason to do so. I can sympathize with having a lot to do and people flaking out constantly. I'm that flaky person a lot of the times orz;;; Just take things slow and don't get too burnt out.

Happily awaiting updates!
Sorry, it's a rough draft and I just wrote that popped up on my mind ^_^''
Yes, I ask one of my friends to review the story for grammar/spelling errors. Besides I need proof readers/beta testers too xD (not asking it right now, but later)
snowflakes wrote:First of all, I'm speechless. WOW. Dat Artwork maaaan. Love all the sprites and those CG. You're very talented! I also like the history, considering that it's focused in the Otome part. I'm looking forward to this project the most, I think :'D Keep this project, please, and request help if you need it. Good luck and support for you and your amazing project !!
Chain, but he's not a obtanaible one, so I think I choose Kurato. He seems very misterious and I like his sprite *¬*
-please consider to do a route for Chain pleaseeeeeeeeeeee *fangirl scream*-
Obviously. I Love horror and Otome genres, so this could be the game of the year for me xD.
Lots of love to you and your project ^-^
eeee thank you so much! ;u; Originally I wanted to sketch everything, but end up spending hours on art lolz.
I noticed a lot people like Chain, maybe I'll make side stories as bonus feature :3
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

CatyCats
Regular

#15 Post by CatyCats »

Cool! I found you!!!
1) That's a TOUGH question! They're all handsome... But if I have to pick one then it'll be Zeikun. He sounds mysterious and cold-attitude like. I wonder what his story his.
2) As long there's some romance in it, I don't mind if there's action,horror,fantasy,... that just makes it more exiting! I kinda don't like it if its just romance-romance games >.< (kinda boring).
But I do love horror!!!!!! and fantasy! :D