Dark Nights [Otome,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery][DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kistnerelizabeth
Regular

Re: Dark Nights [Otome,GxB,Fantasy,Romance,Mystery]

#76 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

You art style is amazing, especially for a free game! :)
I love mystery and anime style. I look forward to seeing more updates from you. You're doing great for it being your first game. :)

Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

#77 Post by Pinlin »

chiharuchi wrote:Ahhn. =q= I found a new game to follow~ I'm looking forward to it, creators. > u <
I'm glad to hear your excitement >q<
kistnerelizabeth wrote:You art style is amazing, especially for a free game! :)
I love mystery and anime style. I look forward to seeing more updates from you. You're doing great for it being your first game. :)
It was a long run developing my art skills to match the story :'D I finally reached the point that I'm able to draw any scene I want.
I apologize for the lack of updates on Lemmasoft. I'm still more active on tumblr. At the moment I'm working on last few CG art for the demo and trailer.
This sounds silly, but sometimes I wish not to improve so fast. When I'm done with the 25th CG, the first one already looks outdated lol XD

Characters are Kurato (brown haired) and Blace (blue haired). From hand wrestling fail (2016) to an actual fight (2017).
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

chiharuchi
Regular

#78 Post by chiharuchi »

Wooowww looks amaziinng.;;;;;;;; How do you improve so fast?

Pinlin
Regular

#79 Post by Pinlin »

chiharuchi wrote:Wooowww looks amaziinng.;;;;;;;; How do you improve so fast?
Thank you for the praise! I assume you're talking about improvement in artwork? I knew myself that I wasn't good at drawing. Everything I tried didn't look as
I pictured in my head. Often I compare myself to artists I admire (this is unhealthy), but it pushed me to work harder. I listen to critique and kept trying new stuff.
I have clear set goals, but I'm also curious to explore unknown fields. Rather than imitation, I tried to figure things out myself. It's a slow way to improve, but better in a long run. So far my personal experiences. You can find most tips by other artists c;
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

#80 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Wow, amazing improvement! I love that your style, btw. It is very...glowy, for lack of a better word. Will you still use the former CG? It could easily be a for a scene that leads to the actual fistfight depicted in the new version. I really like the way you shade your characters. It's all so colourful! Very nice. Looks like a great project to follow. =)

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#81 Post by runeraccoon »

Dropping a comment here to be notified of the updates because this looks real amazing. Tackling all the art assets is a big challenge, but you've done an awesome job. Like, really awesome job! I have to say that your improvement looks really really good as well. The pose is more natural, the expressions more on point, the necessary details are added while the unnecessary ones are lessened, the shading and reflective light becomes really good, and the dynamic angle! Good Lord, please chill, you're too awesome! *_* With a cleaner lineart, you'd make an expensive game just from the looks of it, I swear. (Oh who am I kidding, it already looks like an expensive game Q_Q)

Yeah so, anyway, keep us posted here about your updates. <3

Pinlin
Regular

#82 Post by Pinlin »

Cirrocumulus-Cloud wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm Wow, amazing improvement! I love that your style, btw. It is very...glowy, for lack of a better word. Will you still use the former CG? It could easily be a for a scene that leads to the actual fistfight depicted in the new version. I really like the way you shade your characters. It's all so colourful! Very nice. Looks like a great project to follow. =)
Thank you so much for the praises! I put my heart and soul into improving my skills. My style changed a lot through years, as I continue seeking for something better.
I like to add some glow, but not too much that would burn your eyes. My old art has a lot of black/dark parts as my eyes are sensetive to saturation. I slowly learned
to use more colors, yet still pleasant to look at. At some point I wondered if my style is too bright for a dark plot lol. I take care of background art as well. I think these look more omnious than the characters:

About all old art, I might re-use them after some editing. I like to keep the style consistent, especially anatomy. In case I don't use, I will post old artworks as bonus anyway. I've redrawn over 17 CGs and scapped 5 because the style was old or poor quality. Thank you for following!

runeraccoon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:17 pm Dropping a comment here to be notified of the updates because this looks real amazing. Tackling all the art assets is a big challenge, but you've done an awesome job. Like, really awesome job! I have to say that your improvement looks really really good as well. The pose is more natural, the expressions more on point, the necessary details are added while the unnecessary ones are lessened, the shading and reflective light becomes really good, and the dynamic angle! Good Lord, please chill, you're too awesome! *_* With a cleaner lineart, you'd make an expensive game just from the looks of it, I swear. (Oh who am I kidding, it already looks like an expensive game Q_Q)

Yeah so, anyway, keep us posted here about your updates. <3
Your comment heavily encourages me to update more here Q___Q Thank you for the support!! Compared to art and writing, programming is a piece of cake. Coming from a newbie who has never programmed in life. Thank you, I'm really glad you like my new style. I put a lot effort and thought to come up with something appealing and efficient to draw. Another comparison, it's like before and after class LOL:

A sketch as thanks for support and following. Zeikun is the most voted maincharacter back in 2016. I will make a new update after a demo.

I do everything to put out high quality, even though it's a free game. I wish everyone to enjoy my work. This is the first game I'm working on, and I feel bad for asking
for money on my first try. I have never published my writing, it's embarrassing if it can be done a lot better xD" I'll keep you up with more updates!
Last edited by Pinlin on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Harmonywish
Regular

#83 Post by Harmonywish »

Wow! That improvement is stunning! I still love the 2015 CG, but there is obvious improvement in the 2016 one <3 Pretty (Hot? Handsome?) Zeikun *w*!

runeraccoon
Veteran

#84 Post by runeraccoon »

Whoa, that 2016 version looks way too good... //cries

Also I can understand about Zei-kun, it's hard to say no to long-haired red hair with braid. Seriously.

Pinlin
Regular

#85 Post by Pinlin »

runeraccoon wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm Whoa, that 2016 version looks way too good... //cries

Also I can understand about Zei-kun, it's hard to say no to long-haired red hair with braid. Seriously.
I'm glad you like it!

I barely ever draw long haired male characters. For once I tried designing it, and his popularity took me by surprise. Guess looks do count or it's his personality.
Harmonywish wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:17 pm Wow! That improvement is stunning! I still love the 2015 CG, but there is obvious improvement in the 2016 one <3 Pretty (Hot? Handsome?) Zeikun *w*!
Thank you for liking both! Even though my old art is embarrassing, I don't hate it. I made conscious choices at the time I drew. //chough cough// copy-pasted existing background art //cough cough//

I'm glad to know Zeikun is liked +_+!

I made this doodle as thanks for followers on Dark Night's tumblr. I haven't drawn Kaichi's adult form lately and I want to throw him in spotlights.
He is voted second as most favorite side character after Chain! You can still vote on DN's mainpage: http://darknights-time.weebly.com/
I will do a poll for side and maincharacters seperately after full release.

Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

runeraccoon
Veteran

#86 Post by runeraccoon »

That looks really good! *_*

And I can't wait to get to know them, through the game~ <3 Never realized you had tumblr, which is silly. I'll check it out to look around~

chiharuchi
Regular

#87 Post by chiharuchi »

Tbh I prefer short haired boys though I surely won't leave out any boys, long haired or not. Huehue. cannot waaait~ You're an amazing artist. ^ u ^

Pinlin
Regular

#88 Post by Pinlin »

runeraccoon wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm That looks really good! *_*

And I can't wait to get to know them, through the game~ <3 Never realized you had tumblr, which is silly. I'll check it out to look around~
I'm glad you like it! <3

I made a tumblr to keep track of doodles and small updates. I thought it's a good platform to use for small things, and for people to follow.
chiharuchi wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 am Tbh I prefer short haired boys though I surely won't leave out any boys, long haired or not. Huehue. cannot waaait~ You're an amazing artist. ^ u ^
From an artistic perspective, I tried to vary designs and make each character recognizable. Each has their own clothing style +_+b I'm happy to know you're interested in all boys!

After changing resolution, I had to change all CG art too. From 1200x900 to 1280x720 for a modern look and better composition. Another reason this project takes so long, I had to redraw, rewrite and edit almost everything. I put most effort in quality.

I've improved my art skills more than necessary lol. I'm such a greedy improvement freak.
Here a painting of Jace, one of the sidecharacters. Originally, I wanted to go for a painted style, but it's far too time consuming and rare in visual novels.
For a promotional illustration, I can take out any style I have up in my sleeves. I should draw more of the maincast to boost their popularity xD

Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

runeraccoon
Veteran

#89 Post by runeraccoon »

Whoa! Jace looks so intense and too cool. It's unbelieveable how I've become more shocked for the quality than before.

Also, I'd agree with you, the new resolution looks really good, composition wise.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#90 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Nice to see this is still being worked on.

Love your art Pinlin. That music illustration is gorgeous.