Sacred Fire [RPG, historic fiction, romance, mystery, war] - EARLY ACCESS, FREE DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
poetic
Regular
Projects: Sacred Fire
Organization: poetic

Sacred Fire [RPG, historic fiction, romance, mystery, war] - EARLY ACCESS, FREE DEMO

#1 Post by poetic »

Hey there,

Sacred Fire is a text-based RPG full of choice and blood pumping action. As a refugee hunted by Roman forces trying to conquer Caledonia in 130 A.D., all you know is the fight. Dive deep into tactical dice-rolling and challenging choice-making for a chance at something more.

grab the free demo on Steam or GoG

Create a character and find your way trough the story:

Find out more on Steam or GoG
Last edited by poetic on Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:33 am, edited 16 times in total.

Cith
Regular

Re: Sacred Fire [RPG, GxB, BxG, fantasy, romance, mystery, w

#2 Post by Cith »

This is the sort of game I insta-buy.

Can't wait till it's released.

poetic
Regular

#3 Post by poetic »

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot.

My fellow indies told me the VN community is very welcoming and supportive, and they were right. I realize my game is different in many aspect from most VNs, but I hope that what unites us all is the passion for good storytelling and interesting characters :)

bellice
Veteran

#4 Post by bellice »

I'm not interested, since it lacks support for homosexual characters, but I gotta say, the art is wonderful and I wish you the best of luck. I can already tell that his game will be quite the seller.

nefferinthia
Regular

#5 Post by nefferinthia »

Wow, this looks amazing. I'm always on the lookut for games (rpgs in particular) with lots of choices and customisation where you can actually affect the storyline in significant ways. I'll definitely be watching this thread.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

This looks amazing! Can't wait for more updates :) Romance, warfare and intrigue is always a win-win for me.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

poetic
Regular

#7 Post by poetic »

@bellice: thank you for your kind words, it means a lot. I'll be happy if I break even and can make more games with many diverse settings and themes in this format.

@Harumi: thank you, I've been working on this for so long, it's easy for me to lose perspective, so it means a lot. Yes: nuanced self-expression, subtle choices, changing NPCs and influencing story events are key to Sacred Fire. Currently I have 5 different endings in mind for the main conflict, but each character relation can take various paths as well. I also hope to add multiple origin stories.

Equipment and appearance customization is important, as NPCs react to the beauty and menace of your appearance. Another aspect is you grow attached to your items, so if you make a lot of positive memories while wearing an item, you grow fond of it and it becomes your favorite, boosting your mood and confidence whenever you wear it. You can also craft and enhance any item to boost it's beauty, menace or prestige. These 3 aspects of your equipment that act as a multiplier to all renown gained, expressing your visual memorability.

One more customization example:

@Hazel-Bun: thank you, I sure hope you won't have to wait too long! The plan is currently to build a following for a Kickstarter campaign. The campaign result will basically decide how much story content in all themes I can explore.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#8 Post by jack_norton »

Welcome, I hope it does well for you :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

poetic
Regular

#9 Post by poetic »

Thank you! The feedback and reactions are positive so far, I even have an article up already on Gaming on Linux. No idea how that happened, but a few hundred people saw it already. I have to get used to how huge the internet is :)

A very nice member of this forum also notified me, that there is a thread on RPG Watch forums about my game. Seems like I have to go clear some things up over there.

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#10 Post by fantasygeeki »

I have to say that I really appreciate the effort that went into the initial presentation of your work in progress thread alone! I'm looking forward to seeing this project evolve over time.

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#11 Post by ameliori »

I just got to say... this wip game is so inspiring to me. It made me feel that the VN/RPG game is pretty limitless! Just look at that attention to detail! Great great work! It's astounding you did this all by yourself. Did you use any gaming engine or did you code it from scratch?

Thanks so much for this and all the best of luck!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#12 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I've never gotten into RPGs, but I do like the look of the artwork.

poetic
Regular

#13 Post by poetic »

Thank you all for your kind words, it really means a lot. I've been working on this game for a long time in isolation, so seeing people appreciate my work is very motivating. Location art is by: http://www.rene-aigner.de/ and music is by: http://seanbeeson.com/, the rest is me. The game is build in Unity, it was the only one to support all the target platforms back then.
Sacred Fire is a Role-Play Your Own Adventure Game where you need to master your emotions and outsmart your opponents.
Develop your inner strength in this tactical choice-driven tale of war and romance inspired by Caledonia.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord
Join the email newsletter

cladinpink
Regular

#14 Post by cladinpink »

The art is absolutely gorgeous, and the setting sounds interesting as well. This will definitely be on my to-buy list next year, though I agree with bellice that it's too bad that there will only be straight romances to pursue. Still, this is a purchase I'll look forward to make :)

Lora
Regular
Projects: High Fog

#15 Post by Lora »

Everything looks extremely polished - the website, the teaser videos, and the in-game artwork. I really admire your dedication as a one-man team! I can see a game like this getting a lot of attention when it comes out!

If I had any critique (besides, yes, the straight-only romance), it would be that the faces in-game don't seem extremely expressive, and that the characters are mostly emoting through their body language. I kept trying to decide if it bothered me or not while watching the videos, but I thought about it long enough to mention it, I guess! Though, most of it is Etain, I think (I think that's the lady), and it sounds as though that's kind of her thing. Oh well, take from that what you will! Maybe I just want her to have a BIT more presence - right now she sort of has that "glazed default face" thing going on :P

Other than that, though, the gameplay elements you've posted (with the corresponding GUI) seem very fun and interesting! I definitely would like to play it.