Sacred Fire [RPG, historic fiction, romance, mystery, war] - EARLY ACCESS, FREE DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
poetic
Regular
Projects: Sacred Fire
Organization: poetic

Re: Sacred Fire [RPG, GxB, BxG, fantasy, romance, mystery, w

#16 Post by poetic »

Thank you for all your appreciation. It's been a dream project of mine for a long time, I am happy you like it :)

About the various poses and expression, yes, Etain is supposed to look though and in control of her emotions in that video. That being said, of course, as an artist I realize there is always room to grow. There are however several poses where the facial expressions are quite visible, see example.

Sacred Fire is a Role-Play Your Own Adventure Game where you need to master your emotions and outsmart your opponents.
Develop your inner strength in this tactical choice-driven tale of war and romance inspired by Caledonia.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord
Join the email newsletter

poetic
Regular

#17 Post by poetic »

Hello, everyone, it's been too long, but the good news is Sacred Fire is alive and well!

This is our new teaser showing gameplay, visuals and storytelling, voiced by Doug Cockle, the voice of the Witcher:

Steam Greenlight Concepts: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =800757379
If you like what you see, up-vote us! Every vote counts! We are already #1 Most Popular This Week, your up-vote can help us to get the coveted 5-star rating. Thank you!

Check out our new website: http://www.SacredFireGame.com
Subscribe and be the first in line to get Early Bird discounts when we launch a Kickstarter campaign in March 2017!

Thank you!
Sacred Fire is a Role-Play Your Own Adventure Game where you need to master your emotions and outsmart your opponents.
Develop your inner strength in this tactical choice-driven tale of war and romance inspired by Caledonia.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#18 Post by Zelan »

Wow.

WOW.

I'm honestly just speechless by this. Your game looks practically flawless.

poetic
Regular

#19 Post by poetic »

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot!

There is a whole blog post about how we ended up with Doug Cockle, the voice of the Witcher in our game teaser: https://www.sacredfiregame.com/2016/12/ ... lt-teaser/

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

poetic
Regular

Re: Sacred Fire [RPG, fantasy, romance, mystery, war] NEW VI

#20 Post by poetic »

Please help me decide: should I create an entirely new post from scratch for Sacred Fire as it is now in 2016, or should I maintain this thread that started in 2014 and contains the original screenshots and information? Does the original content add value, to see how the game progressed, or is this thread in the current state confusing to fresh eyes? Thank you for your feedback.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Zelan »

I think keeping this thread is fine, especially since it's not overly long. c: It also shows that a lot of work has been put into this game.

poetic
Regular

#22 Post by poetic »

Thank you, ok, so I will keep this thread for now. Feel free to let me know if you feel the thread could use some cleaning up.

Sacred Fire is set in ancient Caledonia, so the main enemies are Romans, here is a first look at how they look, from a duel with a Centurion:

In Sacred Fire you can engage in combat or avoid it and seek non-lethal ways how to reach your goals and solve conflicts.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

poetic
Regular

#23 Post by poetic »

Some eye candy for the weekend:

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

poetic
Regular

#24 Post by poetic »

I thought it would be good to explain why we do a lot of things differently than other VNs (or RPG for that matter).

We are basically rethinking the Choice & Consequence mechanic in the genre.
We use a numeric personality model to make the player's interaction with the story tactical. Choices, and their consequences, are the core elements of Sacred Fire:

- You have to earn the right to make a tough call.
- Ideas shape your character as much as actions.
- You always know the consequences of a choice.
- You have to earn the right to change the story.

The combat in Sacred Fire blends powerful storytelling moments, personality tests, and turn-based tactical moves into one flow. Each turn the player chooses one of four goals of your attack or defense: survive, provoke, intimidate and gain renown. However, a wide variety of different actions result from these four goals based on by how much you overshoot the probability check. If the goal is to survive, you will defend and attack in the most efficient manner, affecting hit points only. To provoke, you can taunt the opponent, parry like you were sparring with a child, or play nasty and hit a sensitive place.

To intimidate, you can split objects in half, shoot an warning arrow, or take a hit without nudging. To gain renown, you will intentionally dodge in the last possible moment, block arrows without dodging, or pull off a devastating attack.

- You have to control your emotions to perform optimally in combat.
- Equipment doesn’t win a fight. It only sets the stage.
- Letting the opponent attack you from behind is a valid tactic.
- You can win the game without killing.

You can read more about the straegy/politics/relationship aspects of the game on our Steam Greenlight Concept page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =800757379

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

poetic
Regular

#25 Post by poetic »

I feel like the lists of design decision above need to be explained better to make sense.

Choice Making

You have to earn the right to make a tough call

If a story choice you want to make is out-of-character or simply tough for the personality you’ve developed, you need to pass a probability check. To boost your chances you can use willpower points.
As a reward, making a tough choice develops your personality and helps you level up.

Ideas shape your character as much as actions

Inner monologue give the player’s character the ability to interpret and comment on what’s happening in the story. What are your thoughts on failure, injustice, or brutality in a scene? What is the motive behind your choice to help someone?
It’s your interpretation and motives that affect your character’s empathy, create guilt or strengthen your ideals.

You always know the consequences of a choice

We never mislead the player into a wrong choice. Our goal is to create an experience where the player always has a smart option out of a tough spot. Notice a trap, sense an ambush, spot a hidden blade, make a leap of faith. You just need to have the will to make the extra effort to actually use it.

You have to earn the right to change the story

You do not start out as a leader; you have to compete for influence within the group of potential rivals or allies. NPCs don’t just get angry if they don’t agree with your choices. They have their own agendas and will try to undermine your choices.

Combat

You have to control your emotions to perform optimally in combat

Fear weakens your attacks. Anger makes you ignore your defense. Save your willpower points; you will need them to help you keep your cool. This way you can intimidate, provoke, and wear out your opponent.

Equipment doesn’t win a fight. It only sets the stage

Collecting and crafting beautiful items is important, but not only for the protection they provide. Items such as armor also affect how comfortable and confident you feel, and how memorable, attractive, and menacing you appear to NPCs.
But what wins a fight is using your willpower to overcome fear. Use these willpower points to boost your chances of keeping your cool, to ignore pain, and to regain self-control when you go beyond your physical ability.

Letting the opponent attack you from behind is a valid tactic

We’ve all seen the scene. The hero stands still, the opponents circle him, and the hero dodges in the last moment. It’s good storytelling, but horrible tactics.
What makes this a valid tactic in Sacred Fire is that IF you pull it off, a display of confidence and skill like that intimidates your opponents and affects their performance. Furthermore, showing control and courage like that will earn you the respect of NPCs.

You can win the game without killing

All fights have context within the story, and a winning condition other than defeating the opponent. In some, if you can gain enough respect through displays of skill, your opponent will give up, or you can intimidate them into fleeing. In others all you have to do is survive until help arrives. Combat in Sacred Fire is all about the tactical choices that you make.

The game AI recognizes if you choose not to land a decisive hit, or if you do not use lethal-force in combat at all. All NPCs you fight have complex agendas and their own survival is high on their list. They will rarely fight till their last breath.
The writing also gives options how to avoid, prevent or end a fight before it gets out of control.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Zelan »

Man... this choice system is so in-depth. I really can't wait to try it out. ^_^ This seems like the sort of game that I would play multiple times with characters of different personalities (like maybe try a run where I don't kill anyone, another where I kill everyone, maybe one where I follow a particular character, etc.).

poetic
Regular

#27 Post by poetic »

Thank you!

Using lethal or non-lethal force will certainly lead to a very different feeling in the game. But the replyability in Sacred Fire goes beyond that. We have spent years prototyping and iterating the rule set and the story, so we now have 5 different ways how to solve, or gain an upper hand in every situation. This is also reflected in character creation where you pick 2 of 5 elite traits representing a different approach to solving conflict and gaining influence in the society, be it trough force, intellect, relationships based on looks, empathy or useful skills.

The story also allows for multiple play troughs, as it has 2 very different endings and NPCs who can live or die. That allows for a very different experience. The story flows swiftly as there is no running around or grinding as in other RPGs, so it allows for multiple play troughs.
Last edited by poetic on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishlist on Steam
Join our Discord

kenibatz
Completed: Natalie, Nobody Understands MIA
Tumblr: kenibatz
Deviantart: kenibatz
itch: kenibatz

#28 Post by kenibatz »

I like it when projects made with Ren'Py go beyond the standard. Really impressive work based on the video and screenshots. A "labor of love" if I ever saw one. Best of luck! I'm bookmarking your page. :)

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#29 Post by wyverngem »

:) I look forward to the demo in March then.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#30 Post by xavimat »

Impressive. Looking forward to seeing it done!

One of the points I love in the concept is: You'll know what your decisions imply.
I hate when a VN asks me to decide, and the options it gives to me seem totally off-topic with the plot (like "where do you want to go? Park? Mall?", and meeting different NPC according to the place, but without previous hint that the NPC liked that place, simply he/she was incidentally there).
Your idea is really complex and seems clear to understand for a new player.
Please help me decide: should I create an entirely new post from scratch for Sacred Fire as it is now in 2016, or should I maintain this thread
As others said, it's fine to keep this thread, but it's important to edit the first post, so the new people who come see at a glance the current state of the project and doesn't need to dig in the thread. To avoid a first post too long, sometimes I've seen people who add links in the first post to the other posts where the info is elaborated.

BTW, Andrej, your brother showed me the teaser. I didn't know you were in this forum too! :D
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)