Ballad of Lost Adventurers [fantasy][BxG] [GxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Boha
Projects: Ballad of Lost Adventurers

Ballad of Lost Adventurers [fantasy][BxG] [GxG]

#1 Post by Boha »

Storyline:

Noah Anderson, a former soldier working on an experimental virtual immersion system. Hannah, a young herbalist who dreamed of worlds far beyond hers. When the breakthrough Noah's research yields goes wild and throws him to a world outside his own, the binds of their spirits pulls him to a world of swords and magic. However, this world has been waiting for their chosen one to appear and Noah has the misfortune of being misidentified. Stuck in a world where the male population is rounded up to prevent the birth of the savior and keep the rest of the population under the heel of the King, Noah finds himself more popular than he would like. With the help of research team, the less-than-reputable resistance, and a young girl so similar in spirit to him, Noah fights for the chance to find his way back home.

Features:
-Immersive story following the adventures of Noah and his group
-Battle system reminiscent of the days of FF turn based combat
-Numerous routes and options that explore a diverse and exciting world
-Multiple outfits and poses for each sprites
-Diverse soundtrack with a plethora of songs
-Commercial; $15
-1366x768 resolution

Party characters:

Noah Anderson

While attempting to develop a device to create a virtual pocket universe, Noah Anderson accidentally teleports himself to a world of fantasy and magic. Being level-headed and able to see the big picture, Noah's only concern is getting himself back to his own world. Being caught in an epic adventure to find the six Sacred Elemental Crystals to seal away the evil (and power his way home), it is up to Noah to save the day, get out of the “chosen one's” manliness killing garb, and get him back to his own world.
Note: Noah doesn't stay in his "pretty" chosen one outfit forever.

Naera Hassan
(sprite still being designed/created)

Friends since childhood, when Noah acquired his grant for the experiment, Naera volunteered to back him up as an assistant. Naera is loyal to her friends to the end. Unlike Noah and Lora, Naera doesn't know much about theory and has a hard time keeping up with them. Nevertheless, her nimble hands are the ones that put their devices together. When any sort of conflict breaks out, be it epic battles or a disagreement over what is for dinner, Naera turns tail and runs. When she is finally cornered, she is very quick on the take and elegant with her words. Only her feelings for Noah give her the strength to face the dangers before them.

Lora Mizzel

A scientist who has competed against Noah since they first met as fellow soldiers. Unlike Naera, Lora dislikes Noah and all the pain he has brought into her life since they met. A rarely cool, calm, and collected physics graduate student, Lora keeps her eye on the prize and her motivation strong. When things aren't looking positive, she doesn't despair, but digs deep within herself to find a way through. However, she does have a sarcastic streak and a long history of alcoholism that tends to keep others at a distance. Her love of video gaming has driven a wedge between her friends, so she prefers to be alone. While she has always dreamed of living in a fantasy world and longs to explore, she knows that helping Noah and getting everyone home alive has to be her priority.

Hannah

Bio: A young peasant/herbalist who woke up one day to find a young man collapsed in her herb garden. When Noah asks for her help finding his way home, Hannah immediately accepts. Eager for the chance to see her dreams and stories come true, she commits to helping Noah. Nevertheless, as the danger around her increases tenfold, Hannah starts to question if the six Sacred Elemental Crystals and saving the world is worth her life and those of her friends.

Sylleane

A former child assassin who has served for years as the right hand of the rebel leader. Cold and uncaring, Sylleane has little sympathy for her injured party members. While she is a talented healer, she doesn't want to be wasting her time or her skills and resources on healing potions. When the battles start, Sylleane is ready to quickly and, if need be, brutally dispatch her foes. If the others die before that happens... well, they should have dodged better.

Arianna

The blind, illegitimate child of a lord, Arianna spent most of her life locked away in a castle with no friends or companions except for animals. She developed a natural affinity for magic, learning to use wind magic and her animal friends to find her way around the world. When her father was disposed of in a coup, Arianna was forced to flee and discover her place in a world she really doesn't understand. Now living as a monk, Arianna prays for the dream of her world being free again. While they are often at odds about Noah's lack of desire to save the world and Hannah's waning morale, Arianna maintains her faith that the prophecies will come true.

Story: 50,000 of an unknown amount
Sprites: 50%
BG: Just getting started
CG: Waiting on BG
Music: 90%
Last edited by Boha on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

MusicAO
Regular

Re: Ballad of Lost Adventurers [fantasy][BxG]

#2 Post by MusicAO »

Very interesting story and great graphics - looking forward to the release.

DeletedUser160413

#3 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

Woah I like this. It looks really cool and interesting. The art looks splendid (Sylleane's sprite looks amazing), but the story and characters seem very intriguing aswell. I'll definitely keep an eye on this :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

This looks pretty cool. The art style is nice, very nice. The idea has a lot of potential, too. :)

Boha

#5 Post by Boha »

Thanks, everyone! We won't disappoint with the story.

Is there any character/character design that appeals the most to anyone?

Also, the writer and I were discussing types of magic to have. We both agreed on 6 types of magic, but we were having a disagreement on the types. Is it better to stay with the simple, easily recognizable names (Water, fire, wind, ect) or go with more unique types (Heart, electrical, shadowstep)?

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#6 Post by Chasing Summer »

Naera, Sylleane and Arianna are super pretty! The others, as well, but I suppose they are the ones who I find most appealing.

Having unique types of magic would be cool, but keeping it simple doesn’t hurt either.
new account: sonnenblumen

Boha

#7 Post by Boha »

Updates!

Writing: Our writer is happy to announce that he's cleared the first dungeon/act of the story. He's now moving on to the several of the side quests and subplots between the first and second dungeons.

Sprite art: The sprite art is moving along at a very nice pace. Lora is the next sprite that will be finished up. If you want to see how things are coming along and support our artist, Geckos, you should check out her tumblr! Not only can you check out her amazing art, you might see some game stuff (including minor characters not mentioned) that isn't shown here.

Programming: We are going to be hiring a programmer to do the battle system. Our writer crashed out when he discovered that he was a poor coder. If anyone is interested in helping us out, please let me know.

And speaking of the battle system...

This week's question comes to you from our writer. Even though the story is BxG, we were considering certain sections and quests coming from the POV of the rest of the cast. Would there be any interest in having possible GxG sections or should things be kept purely BxG and from the POV of Noah?

Anyway, please continue to support us as we continue on our route.

Boha

#8 Post by Boha »

Boha wrote:Would there be any interest in having possible GxG sections or should things be kept purely BxG and from the POV of Noah?
I hear you all silent and clear! No yuri for this game.

Boha

#9 Post by Boha »

Since there was a thread about it, I'm going to pitch it one more time. Is there any interest in having sections that go away from Noah's point of view and follow either Hannah or Lora? This would add an element of yuri to the game.

I'll be doing another progress report in a couple days.

Angie
Regular

Re: Ballad of Lost Adventurers [fantasy][BxG] [GxG]?

#10 Post by Angie »

Interesting story. I really like Lora's design (I guess I've got a thing for redheads).

And having sections from another point of view usually goes well. I'd certainly like that.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

JimG
Regular

#11 Post by JimG »

For sure do a GXG route. I see you are talking about the point of view being from either Lora or Hannah, that will be a tough decision, at least it seems that way looking at the outline, being 45,000 words in you probably have a much clearer picture than I :D

Anyways, I am looking forward to this game.

Best Regards
Jim

PS as of now you have two votes for GXG and as far as I can see none for BXG :lol:

bellice
Veteran

#12 Post by bellice »

I'm all for GxG, obviously. I don't care much for any other type of romance.

By the way, love the art.

cladinpink
Regular

#13 Post by cladinpink »

A different perspective would add some additional depth to the story, plus it would mean a GxG route, so I'm all for it!
Especially if it ends up being Lora :)

Before I forget! I like the look of the art, and the plot has potential. I'll keep my eye on this!

wererat42
Regular

#14 Post by wererat42 »

You have another vote for GxG routes. Looks like it's going to be a cool game.

TomCaterwall

#15 Post by TomCaterwall »

Heres another vote for GxG.

Alot of RPG projects seem to do 2 versions; maybe do a GxG version along with the BxG? I'd much prefer a full GxG game personally.