New Moon Café [BL] [Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Chuuchi

New Moon Café [BL] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by Chuuchi »

TUMBLR || DEVIANTART || (website pending)

New Moon Café is a small solo BL project in a traditional visual-novel format (where your choices change the outcome of the story) . It follows the stories of Nemu’s, creatures which are the manifestation of human dreams / desires. They wander the earth in search of the one human who's dream they were created from. At the center of it all is New Moon Café, which seems to draw all manner of creatures and humans~( ; v ; I don't want to give away too much of the story here haha).

The game is divided into short story ARCS, each of which will be released separately, with one over-arching common metaplot storyline. More arcs may possibly be added as we go o v o// This topic is made specifically for The Nightingale Arc (which will be released first to test the waters)

With the help of some extremely generous (currently secret) peeps, the project will also hopefully feature an OST, full voicing, and all original sounds ♥ The goal is to create a BL game with substance and fallible, real characters (but still yummy graphics) that is FREE and available to everyone. While I like harem games, the goal of the game isn't to try to pair Clovis with everyone (lol).

(Not disclosing the release date yet ; v ; because I'm really busy with work atm and this is a solo project;;; )

Type: Relationship Simulation, Visual Novel
Platform: PC / Mac / Linux (using Renpy)
Resolution: 1280 x 720 (Widescreen)
Genre: Slice of Life, Fantasy, Drama
Rating: R18

Gameplay: Traditional VN with options
Possible Endings: 5 + Metaplot Bonus

METAPLOT CHARACTERS
While these characters aren't playable, the choices you make in each arc will affect their storyline and potentially unlock special scenes.
Image Image

NIGHTINGALE ARC CHARACTERS
Clovis is the playable main character - however the POV may switch to either Hyde or Ephy in the second part.
ImageImage

SCREENSHOTS
(Click for full size)
ImageImage

PROGRESS
Outline: 80%
Script: 20%
Programming: 10%
Sprites: 10% (it was 90%, but I decided to redo everything for widescreen;;; )
GUI: 20%
CG: 0%
Background: 20%
Music / Voicing: TBD
You can follow the Tumblr for the most recent updates

QUESTIONS
(Also sorry, but Hyde's design is being tweaked atm lolol)
1) Would you want an option in the game to turn off any +18 nsfw content?
2) Any comments/critiques/etc? Does the premise sound like something you'd be interested in? ; v ;
3) Specific thoughts on the GUI so far?

I'm also a complete newb at this. Never made a game before XD So I'm learning a lot haha. Any advice is also welcome
Last edited by Chuuchi on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

Armee
Veteran

Re: New Moon Café [BL] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by Armee »

Yes, it would expand the audience :D
2) Don't have anything else, feel free to comment / critique
The art is very lovable so is the story, I'm looking forward for this :D

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#3 Post by fioricca »

Oh my gosh, welcome to LSF and it's exciting to see your project here! :D Everything is looking simply gorgeous and really interesting. I'm also happy to hear that it's going to be widescreen!! I can't wait to see what comes out of this, and all the best!!

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#4 Post by Reikun »

Hey!! Welcome to LSF! It's nice to see you here :) (I follow on tumblr)

- I don't mind 18+ content but I'm sure an option to turn it off won't hurt. But realistically you'd probably have to create 2 separate downloads when you're done (one with and one without 18+ content) because if the switch is just in-game you can't really stop minors from seeing the 18+ parts.
2) Any comments/critiques/etc? Does the premise sound like something you'd be interested in? ; v ;
- I can't make any assessment on the plot/premise yet since things are still a bit ~mysterious~ haha. But the graphics look lovely and WOW so if this going to be voiced does the VA have to sing Ephy's parts? (MY MAIN CONCERN)

Anyway! Don't be afraid to take things slow and it's okay to get frustrated sometimes (just never give up)! If this is a story you're really invested in I trust you'll get it done. Good luck! I'll be following along ^___^
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

ixWishing
Veteran

#5 Post by ixWishing »

asdfghjkl; Hurray, Cafe visual novels! ;v;
The graphics & story outline are super amazing, and I can't wait till it's finished! ^^

Uh, sure. I probably won't turn off any NSFW content, but it would be nice for the minors! Like what Reikun said, you probably will have have to create 2 separate downloads!

Art is super gorgeous! I love all the characters names! Are you Chinese by any chance? (Or just Asian in general?) Not to sound racist or to offend you or anything, but since I'm Chinese, I immediately took a liking to the names, Lu Xiong and Xiao Bao! They sound quite lovely and well fitting for the characters! (Like just saying their names out and thinking, "Ah the name suits him very well")
In addition to this, they're the only two who have Asian names! This is really intriguing me, so can you tell me what their names mean? I feel like there's some sort of connection as to why you chose that name for them! c: (I'm horrible at Chinese since I'm an ABC xD haha)

...Orrr I might be reading into this too deeply xD;;
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Demetis
Regular

#6 Post by Demetis »

Yes yes yes and another yes for BL *v*
The art is gorgeous and the story looks interesting too >w< -stalks you on both dA and tumblr- XD

I personally wouldn't turn it off but I know some people who aren't compfortable with such content so yes >w<
The fact that it's not the game's goal to pair Clovis up with everyone sounds REALLY good to me XD I am looking forward to see it >w<

LucaMadison
Regular
Projects: Heart of Thorns.
Organization: Ichigo no Kokoro Productions.

#7 Post by LucaMadison »

Great work! I am sure it will be a great game! I love all the art. ^^And it's BL! *---* Luck for your project!
Image Image Image Image Image

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#8 Post by pickle131 »

I personally would. I'm a fan of visual novels, but a lot of the time NSFW content will discourage me from playing one.

Yes!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#9 Post by noeinan »

I think it would be a good inclusion. No need to have two separate download, imo, because if a minor really wants to see the explicit content they will just download the NSFW one. But putting an option in there will help out people who don't actually want to see it! :D (Like folks who only want the romance.)

Oh! Or if they're playing the game in public. That was a discussion that happened on the Winter Wolves forums (indie developer who uses RenPy) because originally some of the characters had very revealing outfits, and it made people embarrassed to play in public or show the game to friends.

Personally, I love the premise. Supernatural cafe/bar type stuff gives a mood that I really like. (For instance, I loved the anime Bartender!) Also, the connection to dreams seems like it could be interesting. :3

I was wondering how old is Xiao Bao supposed to look? His description says he's trapped in the body of a "young child" but he doesn't look very young to me? Though, since he's really an immortal and much older, I don't think you'll run into people being morally outraged. Though, if he looked younger some folks might encounter some squick. (But shota lovers wouldn't mind.)

I actually think that the colors and themes you chose for the GUI fit very well with your character art. It's all gorgeous anyhow!

tooaya
Regular

#10 Post by tooaya »

I remember seeing this on DA. Full voiced BL...I'll be looking forward to seeing how that goes XD

- I personally don't mind either way, but sure.

- everything looks really nice so far. The screenshots are kind of small for me to say much. I hope you guys can pull this through!

- The little bit that's up there is nice. I'm used to seeing dark text area with white text, but I guess white works fine for your art-style. The auto button is also missing, not sure if you guys are going to add that function.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#11 Post by Fenrir34 »

This looks like a cool game. The story is unique and the art is really pretty as well. I'm excited to play this, especially since it's BxB

1.If you want to you could, but I think you don't need it. Girls really love Yaoi and they'd love BxB scenes. But like I said, it's your choice really.

2.Not much to critique on. The characters are interesting though, and I'm excited to see how this game goes in ARCS. I do hope that they're is some romance though.

3.Gui looks really nice as well. Besides that all I have to say is good luck and I'm happy to see another BL game.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#12 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Sounds really cool. 18+ doesn't bother me but you'd widen your audience base if you gave an option for the explicit stuff not to be seen. Will be interesting to see how this looks when it's finished. Artwork would draw me in and the story would keep me playing.

Chuuchi

#13 Post by Chuuchi »

O-Ooooh Q V Q You guys ajfsdkjsdlkfj thank you so much for all the amazing comments////////
Wowww It makes me super happy♥ And really excitedd to get cracking on this thing keke♥ You guys are the best ; v ; I really appreciate all the really thought-out feedback
daikiraikimi wrote: I was wondering how old is Xiao Bao supposed to look? His description says he's trapped in the body of a "young child" but he doesn't look very young to me? Though, since he's really an immortal and much older, I don't think you'll run into people being morally outraged. Though, if he looked younger some folks might encounter some squick. (But shota lovers wouldn't mind.)
Oh! ; v ; Yes, it's a bit hard to tell Xiao Bao's age with the blindfold in that pic hehe.
Xiao Bao's full ref is actually like THIS. So he looks about 15 - 17.
There are no explicit scenes with Xiao Bao XDDDDDD asdjfkljdafl The relationship between Lu Xiong and Xiao Bao isn't quite like that. It's mostly a secret right now * v *//, but on the surface it seems pretty master and favored child/servant♥
Thank you for the comments ajfsdkjasdlkf ; v ; ♥
ixWishing wrote: Art is super gorgeous! I love all the characters names! Are you Chinese by any chance? (Or just Asian in general?) Not to sound racist or to offend you or anything, but since I'm Chinese, I immediately took a liking to the names, Lu Xiong and Xiao Bao! They sound quite lovely and well fitting for the characters! (Like just saying their names out and thinking, "Ah the name suits him very well")
In addition to this, they're the only two who have Asian names! This is really intriguing me, so can you tell me what their names mean? I feel like there's some sort of connection as to why you chose that name for them! c: (I'm horrible at Chinese since I'm an ABC xD haha)

Eheee not at all darling * v *// Yes, there names are actually pretty significant! ♥ And I spent such a long time choosing it - so I'm super happy someone noticed.

For "Xiao Bao", he's actually called "小白" ("xiao bai" or "little white") though cafe regulars tend to call him "小寶" ("xiao bao" aka "little treasure") or to tease him, they call him "小籠包" / "小包" (also pronounced "xiao bao" meaning little steamed bun kakaka). That last nickname is also super significant if you happen to know chinese ; v ; it's a pun for something else too aaah adjfskljsdflk but I don't want to give it away yet. I've taken to calling him Xiao Bao ; v ; but I should really correct his character card with "Xiao Bai"

Lu Xiong is "鲁雄" . The "Xiong" directly translated can mean grand / powerful ; v ; There is also a Lu Xiong from a famous story (which has some relevance to his character here kakaka), but yes, those are spoilersssss * V * Sonottelling keke ♥

The names will make a lot more sense once you take a peek into their shared storyline! ♥
fioricca wrote:
ajdflkjlk waaah I'm so happy to get a comment from youuu afdjlkajfdlkjsdaf Q V Q thank youuuuuu. I am also following lemon project super closely!!
tooaya wrote:
asdfjkljadlf uwaaaa Toooo Q V Q //// I-I really really look up to your art! And your amazing dexterity with different styles hrnnn asdjflkjasflk Thank you for visiting my little game page u v u /// And thank you so much for the support!

I noticed that the trend now seems to be dark bg with white text? I'm wondering what your preference is..? I haven't decided myself yet which I like better either to be honest haha. (And my text boxes are pretty simple I find, compared to what a lot of otome games are releasing nowadays XD). Ah, and I completely forgot about the auto adsjfklja lmao! I will try to code that in as well * v *

OH! I've also linked the screenshot images to larger ones if you'd like to take a peek! ♥♥
Fenrir34 wrote:2.Not much to critique on. The characters are interesting though, and I'm excited to see how this game goes in ARCS. I do hope that they're is some romance though.
There is definitely pleeeenty of romance ; v ; It's one of the major drivers in the story ekee ♥

ixWishing
Veteran

#14 Post by ixWishing »

Chuuchi wrote:
ixWishing wrote: Art is super gorgeous! I love all the characters names! Are you Chinese by any chance? (Or just Asian in general?) Not to sound racist or to offend you or anything, but since I'm Chinese, I immediately took a liking to the names, Lu Xiong and Xiao Bao! They sound quite lovely and well fitting for the characters! (Like just saying their names out and thinking, "Ah the name suits him very well")

Eheee not at all darling * v *// Yes, there names are actually pretty significant! ♥ And I spent such a long time choosing it - so I'm super happy someone noticed.

For "Xiao Bao", he's actually called "小白" ("xiao bai" or "little white") though cafe regulars tend to call him "小寶" ("xiao bao" aka "little treasure") or to tease him, they call him "小籠包" / "小包" (also pronounced "xiao bao" meaning little steamed bun kakaka). That last nickname is also super significant if you happen to know chinese ; v ; it's a pun for something else too aaah adjfskljsdflk but I don't want to give it away yet. I've taken to calling him Xiao Bao ; v ; but I should really correct his character card with "Xiao Bai"

Lu Xiong is "鲁雄" . The "Xiong" directly translated can mean grand / powerful ; v ; There is also a Lu Xiong from a famous story (which has some relevance to his character here kakaka), but yes, those are spoilersssss * V * Sonottelling keke ♥

The names will make a lot more sense once you take a peek into their shared storyline! ♥
Ahaha, with Asian names, they usually tend to have a meaning behind their names~ ^^
Oh! Now that you mention it, "Xiao Bao" does sound like "Small bread/bun" xD
For the pun, are you directing it to "小包"? If so, I'll try asking my older sister or mom what the pun is (Haha, I can't resist spoilers;;)

Hmm, there's a Lu Xiong from a famous story? Welp, time to go googling or asking my parents on this! xD
/orz your story is too dang tempting to NOT search this up!

On a side note, are you Cantonese or Mando speaker? or some other Chinese dialect speaker? ;v; I'm a Canto speaker!
Sorry I'm really curious, and I'm sorry if this offends you or annoys you ;o;!
- Everlasting Dreams ;

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#15 Post by noeinan »

Chuuchi wrote:
Xiao Bao's full ref is actually like THIS. So he looks about 15 - 17.
There are no explicit scenes with Xiao Bao XDDDDDD asdjfkljdafl The relationship between Lu Xiong and Xiao Bao isn't quite like that. It's mostly a secret right now * v *//, but on the surface it seems pretty master and favored child/servant♥
Thank you for the comments ajfsdkjasdlkf ; v ; ♥
I'm looking forward to it! That said, if he's 15-17 in appearance, perhaps "young child" isn't the best descriptor... When I hear young child I think someone under 10 years old. If he's 15-17 he's more like a teenager? Or, if you just said "child" that would also be less confusing because technically anyone under 18 is a child.