HIGH FOG [paranormal, campy horror, wacky teens, romance??]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: HIGH FOG [paranormal, campy horror, wacky teens, romance

#16 Post by AntiquedFae »

Okay, this looks just awesome. Words cannot express my love for dark humour, and campiness is just too much fun. The art style is amazing to me! I also agree that while the photo backgrounds do work, the cartoon backgrounds just push it into asdfghjkl; awesome amazingness territory. Or at least I think it does, anyways. ^^;
Regardless, I can't wait for this!! Fun fun! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#17 Post by Ran08 »

Oh my gosh, this is so cuuuute~
I like the art, and the names are quite amusing. :) Goodluck on this project!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#18 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Your painted backgrounds look much better than using the photos. That last pic of yours looks really good. Good luck with it.

Broodelin
Regular
Completed: A Harder Battle
Projects: Too many to list

#19 Post by Broodelin »

I'm super excited for this game! It combines everything I love - camp, cute artwork, and wackiness! :D

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#20 Post by SundownKid »

The backgrounds are a lot better. The sprite style also has a nice American cartoon style to it without being overly cartoony.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#21 Post by pickle131 »

I absolutely love the unique art style so far!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Lora
Regular
Projects: High Fog

#22 Post by Lora »

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments!! They are a joy to read :D I'm glad that the character/background arts are meshing well.

Here's another background I've been working on, extra long so that it can pan a bit: (I don't think most of the backgrounds will be quite so detailed!)
Attachments
cyroom_am.png

Angie
Regular

#23 Post by Angie »

This CG and new backgrounds looks great! Wow, even though I liked the 'old' backgrounds, this new ones fits so nicely~ It's nice to see how this game is evolving.
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#24 Post by Cafechan »

What fun characters!! I love the setting, and I'm actually very excited for many bad endings. Morbid as it sounds, I love getting to see "what might have been" when it comes to unhappy scenarios in games, heh!

Holly is such a cutie. I love the repetition of rounded shape language in her design. Aster's pose is killing me. He's already such a dork… it's great. Everyone's names got me laughing.

I LOVE the tiny character sprites!! That's such a neat way to show who's with you!

To me, when it comes to photo backgrounds, it does you well to filter them (Photoshop has a couple that I think work very well). Otherwise they clash a little awkwardly with the character images… But the cartoon background you did with the forest looks FANTASTIC, so I'm a big fan of that… I know what a hassle it is to do backgrounds though!

The text balloon format of the dialogue boxes is very neat.

Also, the test CG is gorgeous!! Such a great atmosphere… love the angle of the characters. The entire game has a really neat atmosphere! As someone else said, I LOVE campy horror. I feel like the cute art mixed with the spooky settings conveys that really well. I'll be keeping an eye on this!

Lora
Regular
Projects: High Fog

#25 Post by Lora »

Angie wrote:This CG and new backgrounds looks great! Wow, even though I liked the 'old' backgrounds, this new ones fits so nicely~ It's nice to see how this game is evolving.
Thank you Angie! :D I'm so glad you think so! Thanks for the continued interest in the project too!!
Cafechan wrote:What fun characters!! I love the setting, and I'm actually very excited for many bad endings. Morbid as it sounds, I love getting to see "what might have been" when it comes to unhappy scenarios in games, heh!

Holly is such a cutie. I love the repetition of rounded shape language in her design. Aster's pose is killing me. He's already such a dork… it's great. Everyone's names got me laughing.

I LOVE the tiny character sprites!! That's such a neat way to show who's with you!

To me, when it comes to photo backgrounds, it does you well to filter them (Photoshop has a couple that I think work very well). Otherwise they clash a little awkwardly with the character images… But the cartoon background you did with the forest looks FANTASTIC, so I'm a big fan of that… I know what a hassle it is to do backgrounds though!

The text balloon format of the dialogue boxes is very neat.

Also, the test CG is gorgeous!! Such a great atmosphere… love the angle of the characters. The entire game has a really neat atmosphere! As someone else said, I LOVE campy horror. I feel like the cute art mixed with the spooky settings conveys that really well. I'll be keeping an eye on this!
Ahhhhhh thanks so much Cafechan!! I feel the same way about bad endings, hehe - my only concern at this point is that I won't have the time/resources to dedicate to doing as many of them as I want to do :)

Weighing in on the photo backgrounds, I suppose I've just become too adept at spotting a photoshop filter (since I've misused them many times as a kid) that for me I can't even use them without invoking the same response, haha. But since the cartoon bgs have gone over so well, I would like to do more of them!

Buuuuut as you've said they ARE a bit of a hassle, and VNs are already a ton of work, so I might experiment with techniques to speed up the process (maybe no lineart on things unless they're in the immediate foreground, like in the CG) hmmmm

Thanks so much for the feedback!! :D