Ascension:Echoes in the dark [CANCELED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Rinmaru
Regular
Completed: Cardinal Cross
Projects: Cardinal Cross
Tumblr: impqueengames
Deviantart: rinmaru

Re: Ascension:Echoes in the dark [GxB][GxG][RPG][commercial]

#16 Post by Rinmaru »

Wow. This looks really good and your art is amazing! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your game~
I don't care too much about file size. 1-1.5 gb are quite reasonable file sizes I think though it would depend on the host ;p
@kyrie: Thank you sooo much and it's very good to hear. I don't think I can manage to make it a smaller file no matter what I do >.< lol...
I had not seen ascension before so I did google it and played part of chapter one. What a great game, I think your art style is great and I found the story line really good. Echoes in the Dark seems like it will be in the same vein but much longer and I can't wait for it to be released. I run the risk of gushing over this too much.

Regarding game file size, 1.5 gb seems really big but it will be what it will be. I can't see any good coming out of trying to shrink a game to make it fit a pre-conceived size.

I do not know about commercial games but I would suggest reaching out to the makers of Hanako Games and Winter Wolves for advice, they seem like quite reasonable people and I really like their games, Ascension seems to me to be in the same league although you seem to be doing everything yourself. I would also suggest making sure that the game can be purchased using paypal.

My suggestion would be to combine Ascension 1, 2 and 3 into a Ren'Py game and release them in a commercial version as well. Might be too much work though and you might not want to because you have already done that story. I have a selfish motive in that I cannot spend too much time at a game in one sitting and I couldn't find a way to save the game in flash so I would like a game that I could purchase and play in a more relaxed manner.

I am really looking forward to this.

Best Regards
Jim
@Jim: Thank you so much!
My suggestion would be to combine Ascension 1, 2 and 3 into a Ren'Py game and release them in a commercial version as well. Might be too much work though and you might not want to because you have already done that story. I have a selfish motive in that I cannot spend too much time at a game in one sitting and I couldn't find a way to save the game in flash so I would like a game that I could purchase and play in a more relaxed manner.

I actually thought about it and I wish I had the time to turn them all into one game before ETD release. That way the choices you make on ch. 1,2 and 3 would have an effect on ETD. But I don't have time to take care of it T____T! *sigh* I wish I had clones...

Also to everyone: Updated the main page with companions now! :D

JimG
Regular

#17 Post by JimG »

[quote](it's the same world I built in the first 3 games I made. If you are curious, just google "rinmaru ascension.")/quote]

For anyone who hasn't played the first three games, I highly recommend them. I have completed the first and am halfway through the second, and they are fabulous. They are flash games but don't let that stop you, as the first two are superb, I can't comment on the third yet.

Best Regards
Jim

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#18 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I have played two of the visual novels on your site, and am in the process of playing the third one. Your Ascension series is amazing, and I think this game will be the best one; the only problem I have with it, is that it is commercial. No money means no game, and I don't know when/if I will have enough. (I'm broke. T_T) I think people will still pay, even with the large file size. It looks really awesome, with beautiful graphics, an interesting storyline, and lovely music. I know I would rather have a big game then no game at all. XD Keep up the good work!

Doomzilla
Regular
Tumblr: punchysporkk

#19 Post by Doomzilla »

I only recently stumbled upon your games, and instantly I became a huge fan. I played Ascension 1-3 obsessively for days, and thought to myself that I'd love to see you go commercial. And then I saw this thread. XD I am really pleased to see you working on something so ambitious. If you hadn't already created such a major game (not to mention all the elaborate dress up games), I'd be worried that you were taking on too much... but I figure you know your limits at this point.

As far as file size goes, I routinely download games that are over 5GB. I may not be the best person to ask, but it doesn't bother me.

I do agree that you should get editors. Your english isn't terrible, and I can always figure out what you mean, but if people are paying they are going to expect a more polished experience.

I love love love your art. It's beautiful, as always. Very interested in Ethan, since he seems to be a noble and I found them fascinating. I am very much looking forward to seeing this finished eventually. =] Good luck!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#20 Post by jack_norton »

It's a very nice game, some parts of the GUI seems a bit too dark to me but the character design is quite nice. Good luck with it, doing a RPG completely alone is quite a journey! :wink:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#21 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

1- Why does this game look so (abhlksbjk,vj) fantastic. I want it now because I love the customization idea. It's simply brilliant and looks entertaining to be able to dress up and stuff!

2- No problemo, I can wait for the download no matter the size.

Good luck ^ ^
ImageImage

Rinmaru
Regular

#22 Post by Rinmaru »

@VocaloidsRCool
I have played two of the visual novels on your site, and am in the process of playing the third one. Your Ascension series is amazing, and I think this game will be the best one

Thank you so much! <3
the only problem I have with it, is that it is commercial. No money means no game, and I don't know when/if I will have enough. (I'm broke. T_T)

Aw! Don't worry about it =) I'm sure you'll earn your own money one day! Besides, the game isn't going anywhere =) You can check it out whenever you are able to! *hugs* Don't give up!!!
I think people will still pay, even with the large file size. It looks really awesome, with beautiful graphics, an interesting storyline, and lovely music. I know I would rather have a big game then no game at all. XD Keep up the good work!

I certainly hope so!!! =) I guess we will see when the game is finished ;D!

@Doomzilla
I only recently stumbled upon your games, and instantly I became a huge fan. I played Ascension 1-3 obsessively for days, and thought to myself that I'd love to see you go commercial. And then I saw this thread. XD I am really pleased to see you working on something so ambitious. If you hadn't already created such a major game (not to mention all the elaborate dress up games), I'd be worried that you were taking on too much... but I figure you know your limits at this point.

Thank you so much!!! Very happy you liked the first three games =D! Honestly, I'm a bit scared but every time I figure something out, like the battle or the inventory, I feel like it might not be that hard afterall!
As far as file size goes, I routinely download games that are over 5GB. I may not be the best person to ask, but it doesn't bother me.

>.< Really good to hear! I'm still doing my best to reduce the file size but it will %100 be bigger than 1gb. =(
I do agree that you should get editors. Your english isn't terrible, and I can always figure out what you mean, but if people are paying they are going to expect a more polished experience.

Absolutely! Aside from all the grammer mistakes, I think the worst problem is "foreign idioms". An idiom that sounds incredibly funny to me, sounds simply weird in English >_>; Need to work on that >.<;
I love love love your art. It's beautiful, as always. Very interested in Ethan, since he seems to be a noble and I found them fascinating. I am very much looking forward to seeing this finished eventually. =] Good luck!

Thank you so much! =)

@jack_norton
It's a very nice game, some parts of the GUI seems a bit too dark to me but the character design is quite nice. Good luck with it, doing a RPG completely alone is quite a journey! :wink:

Oh, wow! Senpai noticed me ;_;! Thank you so much! I'm horrified but I'm hoping to calm down soon T_T!

@LadyOfGatsby
1- Why does this game look so (abhlksbjk,vj) fantastic. I want it now because I love the customization idea. It's simply brilliant and looks entertaining to be able to dress up and stuff!

Hahah! Well the "dress up" part won't be that elaborate but I'll do my best =)! Hoping to put all those years of "dress up" experience into some good use.
2- No problemo, I can wait for the download no matter the size.

Yaaay! =D Really makes me happy!
Good luck ^ ^

Thank you so much <3!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#23 Post by sasquatchii »

1.Wow, what an ambitious game!! I'm blown away. The art looks quite nice, and kudos to you for being able to figure out how to implement all of the features you wanted in the game! I will definitely be purchasing this when it comes out.

2. I'm not sure, as I'm only just starting to work on my first VN. I think the important question is- does it make the game run slowly or lag? If not, then you're golden. If it affects game play in any way then it would probably frustrate players, and you would most definitely need to come up with a solution.

3. You definitely don't have to start a company! If you want you can just put it out there, and I'm pretty sure people will still buy it. But if you're planning on making more commercial games in the future it might be nice to come up with a "company" name and logo and whatnot to slap on all the games you create.

4- I'd like to know more about the story/setting/characters!! You hooked me with the gorgeous art and awesome features in the description, but I feel like the story description- the heart and soul of the game, isn't discussed much.
ImageImage

mistactor

#24 Post by mistactor »

1. What do you think so far?
This looks amazing! If nobody had told me, I would never have guessed that this was a visual novel created by one person from the character creation screenshots. Massive respect. You seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the worldbuilding aspect as well, so my advice is just not to get too caught up in that at the expense of neglecting the story.

2- I'm having trouble with the game file size. No matter what I do, (saving for web via photoshop, using zips, packaging, stomping on the files) the files won't shrink and the game will probably end up being...around 1gb. T_____T...So my question is...Is it okay? Like...Is it the most terrible thing ever, the worst mistake of anyone can ever do on a visual novel, that people would rather paying me to stop making games if I make it more than...1 gb? like...1,5 gb? maybe...
I agree with Rainbow, the size is certainly not a problem as long as you offer other options, like downloading it in parts, to make things easier.

3- To the people that did/doing commercial games; Do I have to start a company to sell my game online? Can I do it as an actual person or is it better to do it as a company even if I'm only 1 person?
No idea, sorry...

4- Again, if you have suggestions, ideas etc...shoot :D!
It's not really a suggestion, but do you have any information that you can release about the characters? Brief bios for each would be help pique people's interest further. Also, quick question: how much will the story be affected by the classes? You mentioned different starting points, so obviously different options are unlocked, but will they all converge into the same storyline at some point or will there still be large differences? Keeping a good variation between each route will increase the replay value.

Lastly, good luck! It looks like a lot of work, but I'll be really looking forward to seeing a finished product! ^^

Rinmaru
Regular

#25 Post by Rinmaru »

@sasquatchii
1.Wow, what an ambitious game!! I'm blown away. The art looks quite nice, and kudos to you for being able to figure out how to implement all of the features you wanted in the game! I will definitely be purchasing this when it comes out.

Thank you so much! =D

2. I'm not sure, as I'm only just starting to work on my first VN. I think the important question is- does it make the game run slowly or lag? If not, then you're golden. If it affects game play in any way then it would probably frustrate players, and you would most definitely need to come up with a solution.

I don't think there is lag for now. But I will be really careful! O_O Thank you!

3. You definitely don't have to start a company! If you want you can just put it out there, and I'm pretty sure people will still buy it. But if you're planning on making more commercial games in the future it might be nice to come up with a "company" name and logo and whatnot to slap on all the games you create.

Probably! I don't plan on legally starting up a company just yet, but I will work on a logo and a name for maybe building a...trade mark.(?) I don't know if it made any sense.

4- I'd like to know more about the story/setting/characters!! You hooked me with the gorgeous art and awesome features in the description, but I feel like the story description- the heart and soul of the game, isn't discussed much.

Absolutely! I will talk to my editor and write a better synopsis asap. >.<
Thank you so much for replying! :D

@mistactor
This looks amazing! If nobody had told me, I would never have guessed that this was a visual novel created by one person from the character creation screenshots. Massive respect. You seem to have put quite a bit of thought into the worldbuilding aspect as well, so my advice is just not to get too caught up in that at the expense of neglecting the story.

Thank you so much! Yes, I'll be careful not to get too caught up in details and leave the story shallow and empty. =)

I agree with Rainbow, the size is certainly not a problem as long as you offer other options, like downloading it in parts, to make things easier.

Okay, yes. Hm...I still don't know how I'm going to publish it, but i'll try to make sure the downloading process will be as easy as possible.
No idea, sorry...

Haha, that's okay! =)

It's not really a suggestion, but do you have any information that you can release about the characters? Brief bios for each would be help pique people's interest further. Also, quick question: how much will the story be affected by the classes? You mentioned different starting points, so obviously different options are unlocked, but will they all converge into the same storyline at some point or will there still be large differences? Keeping a good variation between each route will increase the replay value.

Hmmm...I actually want leave the character personalities a surprise, but maybe I could add some of their quotes with their picture. That might give a small insight without spoiling it completely?
And hmm...It will eventually converge into the same storyline but some choices will be class related. Aka, helping a wounded man on the street will be availble only if you are a mage or an alchemist. Eventually helping that man might change some things in the story line. (But classes are mainly there for combat =P.)
This will also be the same for races and character history.
Evey little thing you choose about your character will eventually change some things in the storyline, but they won't change the outcome of the game completely. The choices you make in the game will change the outcome.
Though races will have a visible effect on companion interactions and character history will have some different quest and dialog choices.

Also adding a small CG teaser of Reno here.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#26 Post by Hazel-Bun »

He looks very good! Can't wait for this :D
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#27 Post by Fenrir34 »

Oh, this game looks good. I'll definitely pay for it when it comes out. I like how we can design our character and choose their race, no to mentions choosing body size and all that. I'll go for either Arryn or Ehtna =) though all the character are interesting to me. Anyway, I wish you luck with this game and hope to see come out :)

Rinmaru
Regular

#28 Post by Rinmaru »

@Hazel-Bun
He looks very good! Can't wait for this

Thank you so much :)!

@Fenrir34
Oh, this game looks good. I'll definitely pay for it when it comes out. I like how we can design our character and choose their race, no to mentions choosing body size and all that. I'll go for either Arryn or Ehtna =) though all the character are interesting to me. Anyway, I wish you luck with this game and hope to see come out :)

Makes me really happy to hear :) Thank you so much!

Here is a tiny "Thief" mini-game and some backgrounds example!

I'm still working on the start of the thief route so there is no different settings for now. I'll add more teasers once I start working on another setting :)!

Erikka
Regular

#29 Post by Erikka »

The project looks very good! I don't have enough patience to wait untill 2015 or even 2016 but I definitely will wait!))
Pity you want to make your first game commercial but I also can understand your reasons.
Good luck with the project! I will check on it from time to time as I'm really fascinated by your characters))
Is there a chance the game will include sexual content?)

Erikka
Regular

#30 Post by Erikka »

Btw, Ethan and Nathaniel are the best :)