Tell a Demon [Dark Fantasy][Vampires][commercial] Released!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

Tell a Demon [Dark Fantasy][Vampires][commercial] Released!

#1 Post by ketskari »

Sun Labyrinth is currently working on the commercial visual novel Tell A Demon,
a fantasy story with elements of horror set in the 1920s style city-state of Asher.
It is executed with hand-painted textures and digital painting.
Official Website
The story has three points of view (Julius, Kalevel, and Tell), each with their own story that intertwines with the other characters' depending on player choices. Some romantic options are available. However, Tell a Demon is not a dating sim. The player guides plot and character development that might include romance, depending on the character, rather than choosing a romantic route.
Characters updated when I get to a point in development in which I have non-spoilery screenshots of them. Markaius, the Empress's Shadow, Tetrine and a few other characters from Asher will also make their appearances. Although Tell a Demon is a standalone story (you won't have to read the previous story to understand what's going on), it chronologically takes place about six months after the events of Asher. (All of which is fortunate because Asher needs to be remade. ;)

Some questions:
1) If you saw the old demo and art, what do you think of the new look?
2) Which character(s) are you most interested in playing and why?
3) Is there anything you're unclear about with regards to the story, or that you would like to learn more about before playing a demo?
Thanks!

Some more screenshots below. Text and images in screenshots may not be final. Dream sequences and similar types of scenes shift in art style.
Attachments
screenshot0031-jpg.jpg
screenshot0030-jpg.jpg
screenshot0026-jpg.jpg
Last edited by ketskari on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 23 times in total.

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

Re: Tell a Demon (Asher City Series) [Urban Fantasy][Vampire

#2 Post by blankd »

This looks extremely nice and with a medium that isn't seen too often! The bit about Vampires seems like it could go either way since there is a much more range of what they are and there isn't much about the characters to go off of but the visuals are certainly make this worth paying attention to.

As an aside the only thing that would really be a turnoff from the story is probably the vampire element because they are used so often and have new and somewhat shallow meaning now. If there's anything more you can divulge about that element it may put some worries to rest but I understand if you don't want to reveal anything this early on.

ketskari
Veteran

#3 Post by ketskari »

@ blankd - Thank you! I'll be sure to update with more information on the characters when I decide what to put here about them. :)

As for vampires, Asher had vampires, too, although they are called demons in both stories. There's no sparkly immortal dead nor some eternal love thing going on here. Vampirism in Asher remains a curse more or less. The demons of Asher are varied and Tell a Demon explores the folklore roots of the vampire myth. In Asher, the story was framed with bits of poetry related to the world. In TAD, the story is framed by a cautionary fairy tale about a demon. Once I have one of those illustrations done I'll post a sample.

Anyway, I didn't put "vampire" in the tag at all for Asher for the same reasons you mentioned, actually, but thought I'd try it this time. Probably better to take it down? Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Last edited by ketskari on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Glad you guys finally made a thread for this :) The vampire tag intrigued me but, always do what you think is best for marketing reasons. Can't wait to learn more about this world ^^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#5 Post by Shio_Fuu »

I'm so excited to see a continuation to Asher! Your traditional art is fantastic!
Speaking about vampires, Asher didn't feel like a simple vampire story at all, it was much more complex than that. But I think most people nowadays associate them with angsty sparkly teens from TV. Someone likes it, someone doesn't - you decide whichever way you want to promote it!

I have two questions: how long is the game and what is its estimated price?
Image Image Image

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#6 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Yes! More of Asher! I'm also happy to see that Julius, Markaius, and Kalevel will be making returns.

The art is fantastic! (Have you made illustration books before? It looks professionally done!) It's great to see traditionally painted work in a visual novel. I'm cool with vampires because I like horror elements in stories.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this!

Honest Critique

ketskari
Veteran

#7 Post by ketskari »

@Hazel-Bun - Thanks! That's good to know. I think I'll leave it for a bit. At least the vampire bit is explained on the first page, which helps.

@Shio_Fuu - Thank you! Yes, I'll wait a bit before I decide on whether how much I want to advertise the vampire aspect. The feedback so far is very useful. :)

(Updated 12/15/2014):
How long is Tell a Demon?
Longer than Asher. Can't estimate time yet. Demo runs longer than text estimate due to occasional pauses between the text for animation.

Estimate price?
Update 11/19/2015: The old price I listed here reflected a much shorter rendition of Tell a Demon. New price TBA. :)

@ Green Glasses Girl - Thanks! I have a BFA in Studio Art: Illustration, although I haven't made work for any published illustrated books before. It's taken a long time for me to learn traditional media, so I'm glad all the practice is paying off and that it looks professional. :)
Last edited by ketskari on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naqlada
Regular
Projects: Plenty awesome ones. Search my posts or just ask, won't bite...

#8 Post by naqlada »

Looks like you are stepping up your skill. It's good to see! Hopefully, Tell will get some help?

Cafechan
Regular
Completed: algormortis
Projects: The Duenkhy, Lights on Stillwater Hill

#9 Post by Cafechan »

Wow, I love the aesthetic! The design of the main character is very pleasant. I look forward to this. It sounds quite interesting!!

victorita9
Regular

#10 Post by victorita9 »

I am so happy there is another game in this universe! I loved the first game. Will this one be as creepy?

ketskari
Veteran

#11 Post by ketskari »

@naqlada - Thanks! I think Tell is on her own, unfortunately, unless perhaps she can find a weapon... ;)

@Cafechan - Thank you!

@victorita9 - It's great to hear that! Thanks. And I hope so; I have plans for added creepiness. x)

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#12 Post by blankd »

ketskari wrote:@ blankd - Thank you! I'll be sure to update with more information on the characters when I decide what to put here about them. :)

As for vampires, Asher had vampires, too, although they are called demons in both stories. There's no sparkly immortal dead nor some eternal love thing going on here. Vampirism in Asher remains a curse more or less. The demons of Asher are varied and Tell a Demon explores the folklore roots of the vampire myth. In Asher, the story was framed with bits of poetry related to the world. In TAD, the story is framed by a fairytale about a demon and the three sisters who try to defeat him. Once I have one of those illustrations done I'll post a sample.

Anyway, I didn't put "vampire" in the tag at all for Asher for the same reasons you mentioned, actually, but thought I'd try it this time. Probably better to take it down? Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing this one finished. 8P

Kay

#13 Post by Kay »

Oh, oh, oh, you're doing a new thing! I'm so excited XD Even though Tetrine isn't appearing here, I'll help out any way I can. I can't wait to delve deeper into the folklore for Asher. In colour this time, too ... This is gonna be great <3
Image credit to Murry Lancashire.

ketskari
Veteran

#14 Post by ketskari »

@Kay - thank you!! :)

Small update--actually, a few scenes taking place in the past are black and white, and you can influence the future with choices made in the past.

Update 11/18/2015: There are several scenes taking place in the past that the player can influence, but the new screenshots I have right now are a tad too spoilery to show. ;)
Last edited by ketskari on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#15 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Hey there, I love the art in here and this seems like it won't be just any typical vampire story which I'm looking forward too ^ ^
ImageImage