(UPDATED)Sugarberry's first project: The Night Circus! [GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sugarberry
Regular
Projects: The Night Circus (closed), Catnip+(closed), My Monstrous Heart (new)
Organization: Spearmint Spectre Studios
IRC Nick: SpearmintSpectre
Tumblr: spearmintspectrestudios

(UPDATED)Sugarberry's first project: The Night Circus! [GxB]

#1 Post by sugarberry »

Hello everyone! The Night Circus will be the first game produced by Sugarberry (all art and character bios so far here http://sugarberryotome.tumblr.com/) . It's a story about a strange circus from which the member's can't leave once they join, with a female MC and 6 LIs.

I've worked to make the cast as diverse and accurate as possible, so as to create an inclusive and broad spectrum of people and personalities.

However.....things haven't been going very well for Sugarberry, and I'm getting rather discouraged. I've gotten only little hiccups of feedback from both the tumblr, DeviantART and twitter communities about the character backstories and designs, and I'm wondering if anyone is even interested q v q?

Is the art bad?

The characters?

Please do offer any feedback you can <3. Thanks a bunch.

-Sugarberry.

Here are some of the character designs so far <3! Thank you to those who've replied q w q <3
Attachments
Matthios<br /><br />——<br /><br />Age???<br /><br />Star Sign: Capricorn<br /><br />Circus Role: Ringleader<br /><br />Height: 6’3<br /><br />Matthios is a secretive and sometimes rather aloof man who always has a mirthful grin on his face. He is outwardly kind and playful, mainly to circus patrons, but can he can also be incredibly vile and cruel, especially to the more rebellious circus performers.<br /><br />Matthios also harbors incredible intelligence and surprising strength, especially for someone with such a lanky appearance.<br /><br />He delights in Evangeline’s performing skill and admires her long pretty hair. It reminds him of someone he once knew. <br /><br />As Matthios becomes fonder and fonder of Evangeline, he begins to appear around the circus more often instead of tucked away in his tent. He becomes rather insistent that she not talk to any of the other performers and always is near when they approach her. He may even stand directly behind her when they get too close, staring down the offender.<br /><br />Matthios claims to have run this circus for hundreds of years, but his story doesn’t quite fit his appearance, and there’s always a thick, sickly-sweet smelling fog emitting from his tent, but, well…<br /><br />He doesn’t take very kindly to trespassers.
Matthios

——

Age???

Star Sign: Capricorn

Circus Role: Ringleader

Height: 6’3

Matthios is a secretive and sometimes rather aloof man who always has a mirthful grin on his face. He is outwardly kind and playful, mainly to circus patrons, but can he can also be incredibly vile and cruel, especially to the more rebellious circus performers.

Matthios also harbors incredible intelligence and surprising strength, especially for someone with such a lanky appearance.

He delights in Evangeline’s performing skill and admires her long pretty hair. It reminds him of someone he once knew.

As Matthios becomes fonder and fonder of Evangeline, he begins to appear around the circus more often instead of tucked away in his tent. He becomes rather insistent that she not talk to any of the other performers and always is near when they approach her. He may even stand directly behind her when they get too close, staring down the offender.

Matthios claims to have run this circus for hundreds of years, but his story doesn’t quite fit his appearance, and there’s always a thick, sickly-sweet smelling fog emitting from his tent, but, well…

He doesn’t take very kindly to trespassers.
Yun<br /><br />—<br /><br />Age: 18<br /><br />Star Sign: Taurus<br /><br />Circus Role: Fire Eater<br /><br />Height: 6’4<br /><br />Yun is very stern and mature. He acts like an eldest brother of sorts toward the performers, and frequently settles fights amongst them. He is incredibly strong, and often helps the others prepare for their acts. <br /><br />Yun is immediately protective of Evangeline, especially around ringleader Matthios, lion-tamer Dante and Aiden, his fellow Freakshow member to whom he is most strict of all towards.<br /><br />Though Yun has been a circus member for a very long time, he confides to Evangeline that he’s secretly grown to miss life outside of the tents and rings and wishes to leave and return home at some point.<br /><br />Yun can be found practicing his act just outside of his tent and more often than not, scolding Aiden for his antics behind the scenes of the Freakshow ring.
Yun

Star Sign: Taurus

Circus Role: Fire Eater

Height: 6’4

Yun is very stern and mature. He acts like an eldest brother of sorts toward the performers, and frequently settles fights amongst them. He is incredibly strong, and often helps the others prepare for their acts.

Yun is immediately protective of Evangeline, especially around ringleader Matthios, lion-tamer Dante and Aiden, his fellow Freakshow member to whom he is most strict of all towards.

Though Yun has been a circus member for a very long time, he confides to Evangeline that he’s secretly grown to miss life outside of the tents and rings and wishes to leave and return home at some point.

Yun can be found practicing his act just outside of his tent and more often than not, scolding Aiden for his antics behind the scenes of the Freakshow ring.
Grason<br /><br />——<br /><br />Age: 15<br /><br />Star Sign: Libra<br /><br />Circus Role: Clown<br /><br />Height: 5’6<br /><br />Grason is a very quiet and shy performer who dislikes being touched and is frequently bumping into things, likely due to the excessive amount of curly hair that drapes over half of his face. Grason frequently mutters about how much he hates his hair, and that he could’ve sworn it was a different color in the past….truth be told, he doesn’t really remember ever changing it.<br /><br />Evangeline is immediately attracted to his cute appearance and short stature, however he finds being called cute rather insulting and gets rather depressed when it happens, and soon gently asks Evangeline to stop. He prefers “handsome”, really…<br /><br />At first, he doesn’t really seem to have much of an attitude toward Evangeline or any of the performers for that matter. He’s soon drawn toward her kindness, intelligence, and willingness to understand what he is and isn’t comfortable with. <br /><br />Grason doesn’t much care for being part of the circus, though he feels compelled to stay. He always seems very wary of Matthios, and tries to keep his distance, and always seems to leave oddly moments before the Ringleader shows up.
Grason

——

Star Sign: Libra

Circus Role: Clown

Height: 5’6

Grason is a very quiet and shy performer who dislikes being touched and is frequently bumping into things, likely due to the excessive amount of curly hair that drapes over half of his face. Grason frequently mutters about how much he hates his hair, and that he could’ve sworn it was a different color in the past….truth be told, he doesn’t really remember ever changing it.

Evangeline is immediately attracted to his cute appearance and short stature, however he finds being called cute rather insulting and gets rather depressed when it happens, and soon gently asks Evangeline to stop. He prefers “handsome”, really…

At first, he doesn’t really seem to have much of an attitude toward Evangeline or any of the performers for that matter. He’s soon drawn toward her kindness, intelligence, and willingness to understand what he is and isn’t comfortable with.

Grason doesn’t much care for being part of the circus, though he feels compelled to stay. He always seems very wary of Matthios, and tries to keep his distance, and always seems to leave oddly moments before the Ringleader shows up.
Ion<br /><br />——<br /><br />Age: 17<br /><br />Star Sign: Gemini<br /><br />Circus Role: Fortune teller<br /><br />Height: 6’0<br /><br />Ion is a kind, intelligent and helpful performer, albeit a little skittish and timid.  Romani born and raised, he’s grown to miss his family in the years he’s spent in the circus. In fact…he can’t quite recall how many years he’s been here. All he knows is that he’s been fortunetelling for the circus for a very long time.<br /><br />When Evangeline first is brought into the circus, he prefers to quietly watch her routines and keep to himself. When he is approached, however, he begins to open up towards her and the other performers.<br /><br />Ion admires Evangeline’s bright spirit and optimistic attitude toward life, and soon drifts toward her like a moth to a flame. He is cautious of her feelings and tries his best to make sure she is as comfortable with him as possible.<br /><br />Ion quite enjoys being part of the circus, even though he mostly stays tucked away in his tent, filled with gently glowing lanterns.
Ion

——

Star Sign: Gemini

Circus Role: Fortune teller

Height: 6’0

Ion is a kind, intelligent and helpful performer, albeit a little skittish and timid. Romani born and raised, he’s grown to miss his family in the years he’s spent in the circus. In fact…he can’t quite recall how many years he’s been here. All he knows is that he’s been fortunetelling for the circus for a very long time.

When Evangeline first is brought into the circus, he prefers to quietly watch her routines and keep to himself. When he is approached, however, he begins to open up towards her and the other performers.

Ion admires Evangeline’s bright spirit and optimistic attitude toward life, and soon drifts toward her like a moth to a flame. He is cautious of her feelings and tries his best to make sure she is as comfortable with him as possible.

Ion quite enjoys being part of the circus, even though he mostly stays tucked away in his tent, filled with gently glowing lanterns.
Last edited by sugarberry on Sat May 31, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CatyCats
Regular

Re: Sugarberry's first project: The Night Circus!

#2 Post by CatyCats »

I've read your whole story and it's interesting!
Your art isn't bad, it's quit special, colorful and wonderful (trust me, I've seen ...)
But for me the art doesn't really matter anymore. (of course it hasn't to be too ugly) If the story is good, romantic,funny and sad I would definitely play it! ( First I didn't like the Fantasia of AzureTwilight her art but the story is damn good! So I keep replaying it :D and I got to like her art as wel!) And some art are sooo good, but the story isn't so I only played it once and removed it from my computer.
The characters... all unique and match their appearances! The leader is quit interesting :D and the little guy is adorable..ehem...handsome.
So don't worry! I'll play it as long the story is good and romantic.
Tip: you should post it on Lemma (all those arts and story :D , if you'd like!) And I'm glad you put it on lemmasoft or else....I would never found this out!!!

Lyyli
Regular

Re: Sugarberry's first project: The Night Circus!

#3 Post by Lyyli »

The title caught my attention right away since I find circus settings really interesting. Your art is actually quite colorful and pretty! It does stand out in a good way.

And I agree with CatyCats, you should definitely update your post with all art and info you have so far on your project! Also update the title with GxB so people can know what audience the game is for :)

Will the protoganist be visible?

I'll keep an eye on this project~ Good luck!
Meep.

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Re: (UPDATED)Sugarberry's first project: The Night Circus! [

#4 Post by Sleipnir56 »

This seems pretty cool. It feels like Matthios is a but of an antagonist since the characters you have are a but afraid of him. I like the back stories you gave for them as well, but Matthios sounds the most interesting. I wanna know why he's over 200 years old and if he's magic. I do admit that my fav character is the fortune teller. I like his sprite and he seems really kind. The art looks really color and cute. It would do well for a circus story. I kind of want to know a bit more about the plot and main character, though I know some about her because of the characters back story. I'll be looking forward to know more about this project and will keep with it. Am excited to see the rest of the cast as well. Good luck :)