Yumi's Reckless Abandon (Otome, Slice of Life, Drama)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Tiffke

Yumi's Reckless Abandon (Otome, Slice of Life, Drama)

#1 Post by Tiffke »

Plot
All her life, Yumi is known as a cat lover of a few words, and that didn't change.

Now as she enters high school, she contemplates on the concept of change. She wonders what would happen if she decided to revamp her image, but shakes off that idea as she believes not a single soul will care anyway. She decides not to change this time around, but since it's crucial to accept and overcome change in high school, she'll most likely end up encountering many opportunities to renovate her image.

Characters

Yumi Miyu
The protagonist of the game. She has an affinity for cats, which was mostly influenced from her grandfather. She gets troubled whenever she overhears people talking about her unchanged image, and the fact she can see fine and dandy in those overly long bangs of hers.

Jardin Demask
One of Yumi's classmates. A kind person who can attract a crowd due to his friendly demeanor. He loves plants and animals, so Yumi can get along easily with him.

Will Spiegel
A sophomore Yumi encountered in the school hallways. A student council vice-president-to-be with an eccentric and perky personality. He enjoys helping people and strives to do good deeds. Sometimes Yumi gets dragged into his shenanigans, but sees him as a fun person to be around with.

Den Cadena
Yumi's classmate in math and PE. He can be described as a butt monkey, since people would always ridicule him for his seemingly outlandish behavior and peculiar appearance. The constant teasing made him go bonkers each time, but he tries to let it slide. He admires Will like a hero, and would diregards Will's personal space whenever he's around. (to Will's dismay).

Kohaku Hasami
A sophomore Yumi met in the school cafeteria. A lone wolf with a cold exterior. His hobby is making art. He always tries to push people away so he can be alone. Nobody questions him, so that should satisfy him. Though, does it really satisfy this lone wolf, who might have felt a little lonely? Why does he go out his way to push others away from him, anyway?

Features
- 4 main love interests
- 9 endings in all (two for every main route, one from a special route)
- 20+ CGs and a truckload of mini CGs!
- Animation cutscenes
- 1280 x 720 resolution
- Lots of silly puns and metaphors (I'm sorry! :lol: )
- But best of all, it's free!

Progress

Outline - 90% (In the process of finalizing everything.)
Script - 5%
CGs - 2%
BG art - 5%
Music - Royalty free music
GUI - 80%
Misc - 0%

Oh, and some feedback and critique would be very helpful. :)
You can ask some questions regarding the game if you want.

Preview
Attachments
preview1.png
preview2.png
preview3.png
somesketchesofthesupportingcharas.png
Last edited by Tiffke on Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

Re: Yumi's Reckless Abandon (Otome, Slice of Life, Drama)

#2 Post by Boniae »

Ooh, this looks really interesting! I love the art style so much and the characters seem to have a lot of depth.
I also really like drama, so I'm intrigued to see how this story goes. Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

Whimsical Conductor
Projects: Alice and Cursed Wonderland, Like She Had Wings

#3 Post by Whimsical Conductor »

Your game has some very colourful art! It's really cute. I especially like Yumi's character design. The bangs are a nice touch. And her hairstyle is really nice.

Somehow the art reminds me a bit of Starry Sky, though slightly more cartoon-ish and with a bolder colouring style. And Will looks a lot like Homare from Starry Sky in Summer. The pose for his sprite looks a bit awkward to me though.

I'd also try getting a proofreader too. There are some small errors in the summary and the screenshots, mostly to do with iffy tense changes and all that junk. Nothing major, but it would clean up the game a lot.

Looking forward to seeing more updates for this game! It looks uber cute.

Tiffke

#4 Post by Tiffke »

Boniae wrote:Ooh, this looks really interesting! I love the art style so much and the characters seem to have a lot of depth.
I also really like drama, so I'm intrigued to see how this story goes. Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try my best make the drama interesting.
Last edited by Tiffke on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiffke

#5 Post by Tiffke »

Whimsical Conductor wrote:Your game has some very colourful art! It's really cute. I especially like Yumi's character design. The bangs are a nice touch. And her hairstyle is really nice.

Somehow the art reminds me a bit of Starry Sky, though slightly more cartoon-ish and with a bolder colouring style. And Will looks a lot like Homare from Starry Sky in Summer. The pose for his sprite looks a bit awkward to me though.

I'd also try getting a proofreader too. There are some small errors in the summary and the screenshots, mostly to do with iffy tense changes and all that junk. Nothing major, but it would clean up the game a lot.

Looking forward to seeing more updates for this game! It looks uber cute.
Yeah, I got to admit Will's sprite a tad strange. I was thinking of changing it, so thanks for pointing that out. I also reread the summarry I wrote, and I feel kind of embarrased for those errors I made. (I also realized I used the word change a lot, so I'll rewrite it so it doesn't sound strange...) Yeah, I really do need a proofwriter. :?

Whimsical Conductor
Projects: Alice and Cursed Wonderland, Like She Had Wings

#6 Post by Whimsical Conductor »

Yeah, I got to admit Will's sprite a tad strange. I was thinking of changing it, so thanks for pointing that out. I also reread the summarry I wrote, and I feel kind of embarrased for those errors I made. (I also realized I used the word change a lot, so I'll rewrite it so it doesn't sound strange...) Yeah, I really do need a proofwriter.
No problem. I've got to say though, I really like Den's sprite. I think he's my favourite out of the romance-ables.

Don't feel embarrassed. Grammar is a butt sometimes lol. I'm sure lots of people would be willing to proofread for you, especially because the project looks really neat. I wouldn't mind either once you get further in your script and if I'm not too swamped with work.

Tiffke

#7 Post by Tiffke »

Whimsical Conductor wrote:
Yeah, I got to admit Will's sprite a tad strange. I was thinking of changing it, so thanks for pointing that out. I also reread the summarry I wrote, and I feel kind of embarrased for those errors I made. (I also realized I used the word change a lot, so I'll rewrite it so it doesn't sound strange...) Yeah, I really do need a proofwriter.
No problem. I've got to say though, I really like Den's sprite. I think he's my favourite out of the romance-ables.

Don't feel embarrassed. Grammar is a butt sometimes lol. I'm sure lots of people would be willing to proofread for you, especially because the project looks really neat. I wouldn't mind either once you get further in your script and if I'm not too swamped with work.
I'm glad you like Den! And yeah, grammar is a butt. :? It's really nice of you to offer to proofread.

Tiffke

#8 Post by Tiffke »

Ok, I changed Will's sprite so that right hand wont stick out so awkwardly. I lineart my art traditionally, so I was lazy at the time, and I didn't fix my mistakes easily. At the time I was drawing his sprite, I wanted to make some sort of 'unique' pose, but that didn't fare too well :| . So there you have it. A less awkward looking Will sprite.
Attachments
Untitled.png

Tiffke

#9 Post by Tiffke »

It's been a while since I last updated... and I was figuring out a lot of stuff, trying to finalize some scenarios for my visual novel during that time period, trying to code, etc. ...BUT! Since I'll get out of school soon, I'll be able to have lots of time to work on my visual novel! As of now, I'm still trying rewrite the scenarios I was planning, as well as adding new ones. But now I have a very strong idea of what sort of direction I want my vn to head to as opposed to earlier times. When my summer vacation starts, I'll try to update frequently! At least once a week or biweekly...or maybe every other day if I'm making really good progress.

Also I deleted the old preview images and added in new ones! Note that everything shown in the preview images is not final, including the gui.

FrozenApple66
Regular
Projects: Lunescara (Hiatus) The Cottage (NaNo16)
Organization: Pink Squirrel Games

#10 Post by FrozenApple66 »

I have to say, I really love the way that your art looks so soft. It's very appealing and soothing to look at. :)

Tiffke

#11 Post by Tiffke »

FrozenApple66 wrote:I have to say, I really love the way that your art looks so soft. It's very appealing and soothing to look at. :)
Thank you so much!! That means a lot to me! :D

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#12 Post by neuropsy »

Tiffke wrote: - Lots of silly puns and metaphors (I'm sorry! :lol: )
I'm sold.

Seriously though, although I am a university student (a rising senior at that *sigh*), the concept of changing my image still affects me. I'm a rather timid person in real life, but behind that shell is someone who's straight from Cloudcuckooland. I think my image pretty much remained stagnant throughout high school. Given this, I'm interested to see how you develop Yumi's story. :)

I love the bangs covering her eyes design, and how the ribbon vaguely resembles cat ears. All of the guys seem like people I'd get along really well with, and usually I'm able to pinpoint one person I want to pursue! Now I have to play all the paths. Dang it, you. :p

I look forward to playing this game! <3

Tiffke

#13 Post by Tiffke »

neuropsy wrote:
Tiffke wrote: - Lots of silly puns and metaphors (I'm sorry! :lol: )
I'm sold.

Seriously though, although I am a university student (a rising senior at that *sigh*), the concept of changing my image still affects me. I'm a rather timid person in real life, but behind that shell is someone who's straight from Cloudcuckooland. I think my image pretty much remained stagnant throughout high school. Given this, I'm interested to see how you develop Yumi's story. :)

I love the bangs covering her eyes design, and how the ribbon vaguely resembles cat ears. All of the guys seem like people I'd get along really well with, and usually I'm able to pinpoint one person I want to pursue! Now I have to play all the paths. Dang it, you. :p

I look forward to playing this game! <3
Thank you so much for the comment! :) I'm really glad you like Yumi's design, and I'm glad that you can't really determine which you guy you would want to pursue first. :lol:

ValentinaSparkles

#14 Post by ValentinaSparkles »

This art is very pretty, well done. Hope to see more of it soon :)

Tiffke

#15 Post by Tiffke »

ValentinaSparkles wrote:This art is very pretty, well done. Hope to see more of it soon :)
Thanks so much! Really gives me confidence for my art style! And I will try to post more art assets soon!