True Friends [Friendship|Thriller|Psych][Update 04.09.2014]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PitchySoldier
Projects: True Friends

True Friends [Friendship|Thriller|Psych][Update 04.09.2014]

#1 Post by PitchySoldier »

When you born, you have no option to choose.
You cannot choose the place where you are born.
You cannot choose your parents.
But...
You can choose your friends.
Your true friends.
Title True Friends (Visual Novel)
Genre Friendship, Thriller, Psychology
Story
A boy whose name is Robin, lives in a peaceful town. His friends also live with him and when the summer comes, one of them encourage them to explore around. They found an old abandoned house and after a chat between them, they enter in. In this way what began as an innocent pastime it began to be a hard time to Robin and his relationship with his friends.
And if all is not what it seems?
And if all Robin believes to know become unknown?
Are they his true friends?
Setting
True Friends settles down in an old abandoned house in a town, it is found by five teenagers that decide to explore it for curiosity, according to one of them is a courage test. In this house, they go through for certain situations that make them to choose for a certain options which will mark the rest of their adventure, specially the main character. Here it will showed who of the four guys is the true friend who you can trust and ask help whenever you need. This game will be dividided in five phases. In each one it will be treated some topics like trust or secrets between this group of friends. The main character, Robin, has the opportunity to choose the best option to go out of the house."

Main Characters
Robin
He is 17 years old.
He is the main character, he is a friendly boy who moves to this town two years ago. He is for sure, a good friend, he always trust in his friends and looks totally normal. Also he is always helping them in whatever they need.
He likes dogs, comics and playing videogames with Cedric and Phoenix.
He moves to the town because his parents divorced two years ago and her mother decide to move with her son to a peaceful town for avoid problems.

Yvetta
She is 17 years old.
She is one of the main characters, she is a very clever girl maybe a little stubborn, she is a very confident person who likes pass the time with Robin also she help the rest of her friends with their studies.
She really likes TV series like Game of Thrones or Teen Wolf, but she is not a freak of it either. She likes colorful outfits cause she thinks it is better than dark colors.
She is a very judgmental person.

Bianca
She is 18 years old.
She is one of the main characters, she is a sweet girl who met Robin before the rest of their friends. She is very cute and she is always to help them with whatever they need. She is funny and adorable when she wants. Also she is the best friend of Robin.
She met Robin three years ago by a social website and she gets really excited when Robin came to her town too.
She could be a very insecure person and kinda creepy with her friends.

Phoenix
He is 18 years old.
He is one of the main characters, he is a very funny boy who likes to make jokes and make any situation less tense. Though he can make it worse. He moves to the town one year ago but he is very friendly with any of his friends.
He moves to this town because he had some problems in his old high-school and he prefers to change his environment.
He could be very stupid when he wants.

Cedric
He is 17 years old.
He is one of the main characters, he is a calm boy who likes to listening music and reading old books from the library. Also he likes comics. He is very sweet and kind with his friends and that´s why all of them are comfortable with him though if he doesn´t talk a lot.
He get along with Yvetta and Robin better than Phoenix and Bianca, he is a good observer and his fashion sense is very good too.

Some sprites

Team
For now, we are only two people.
Sprites, Concept art, CG, Backgrounds, Programming: Me
CG, Backgrounds: Lian
Screenwriter: Chris
GUI : Dusk
Voice actor for Robin: Anairis Quinones
Voice actor for Bianca: Cayla Martin
Voice actor for Yvetta: Sakura Hughes
Voice actor for Cedric: Christopher Brummet
Voice actor for Phoenix: Patrick Seymour

Anyway this is our blog for the game this one

Progress
Story: 100%
Script: 20%
Character Design: 100%
Sprites: 70%
CG: 5%
Background: 30%
Music: 100%
Programming: 25%
GUI: 5%
Voice acting: 0%

Demo
The demo will be released at the end of this month. Between the 25 to 30!

Notes
The whole game contains other things that could trigger the player so for now... if you don´t want to be spoiled don´t check the spoiler.
Gore, homophobic mention, bullying
I´d would be apreaciate your colaboration if you answer these questions:

• What do you think of the game from now?
    What do you think about the characters? Moreover the main character, Robin.
    What do you think of the cover? Should we change it?
    Should the game have some voice actings?
    Did you check the sprite I put in the Progress part? Do you like the style?
    Any opinions or critics
We are looking for some artist who can do the background, voice actors and maybe a better logo.... <3 In any case I´ll ask for it in another part of the forum!

[Update 08.08.2014]
-Add two concept arts
-Add the main blog of the game
[Update 17.08.2014]
-Add screens
-Add background
[Update 04.09.2014]
-Add members of the team
-Add sprites
-Reupdate the work already done
-Add a date of the Demo
Last edited by PitchySoldier on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: True Friends [Friendship|Thriller|Psych]

#2 Post by Rinima »

PitchySoldier wrote: What do you think of the game from now?
Any opinions or critics[/b][/list]

We are looking for some artist who can do the background, voice actors and maybe a better logo.... <3 In any case I´ll ask for it in another part of the forum!
I think it looks interesting. More than interesting, I'll admit, I'm intrigued. It probably doesn't help that I'm a sucker for 'stuck in the mansion' type stories *coughHetaOnicough*
He seems well rounded and likeable, so good.
Naw, seems to fit well.
If it did, I would certainly been auditioning for helping XD
I did look, and it looks good. Seems appropriate for the story.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing more on this :)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Coldreaver

#3 Post by Coldreaver »

Hey PitchySoldier :)

What do you think of the game from now?
I'm interested in good psychological conflicts, so I am looking forward to it!

I think, Robin smells like a stereotype nice-guy protagonist without any character depth. If it's like that, I probably won't like him. (He has no special traits and is just a nice guy and trusts his friends.) But I hope that I am totally wrong :D

Hm I don't know. Just let it be there for a moment. When you look again at it after 2-3 weeks and you don't like it anymore, you can change it. I am personally fine with it right now.

Voice acting is really hard. Most of the time the voice acting is just crappy. I would just leave it. Personally, I really don't need it.

Yes I checked. I like the pictures you put in your OP a little bit more. (especially Bianca, she is so damn cute!) Perhaps you should just put a sprite with Bianca in there, then I would totally fall for it. xD
Ok, serious again. I think, the sprite is good. Is this also a character in the game? :)

Any opinions or critics
A lot of scenes with Bianca! I like her! :D

cosmic latte
Projects: Notturno, Project Lovingly
Organization: Iridescence VNs

#4 Post by cosmic latte »

I'm really interested in how each friendship will be explored and portrayed psychologically, so I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Hmm, while I do like Yvetta and Biana, Robin seems like the typical protagonist. Like Coldreaver said, I hope we see some character depth or development.
It looks good. Though I would suggest saving it as a .png file so the picture doesn't look too pixelly.
Sure. I personally don't mind if a game has voice acting or not.
I do like the style! Particularly the character and fashion design.
Any opinions or critics
Good luck with your game! :)

Llunet1
Regular
Projects: Reminiscence, Blood
Deviantart: llunet1

#5 Post by Llunet1 »

It seems pretty cool~ I've never seen a game like it! So, that'll be interesting :)
I like him so far, Hahah. I love his design, and he seems like an interesting, fun character.
I think the cover is fine. :) I like it. However, maybe a couple of adjustments are needed to it. I can't really make out the hands, and it took me a while to realize what they were. Add some shading around it and make it pop a bit more, and then it's perfect :)
Honestly, I tend to mute my computer when I play a VN. Or I just mute the music. I can't really explain why... I just don't like having the music on.
So, I would need to actually have it not-on-mute to hear the voice over.
However, I would be really interested in having a voice over, as I've never played a VN with one. (They're usually not free, which I totally understand)
I did. Um... I guess I like the style XD It's not really eye-catching to me. But, I think it would be just fine :)
Any opinions or critics
Is this going to be a free game?
And... I've never done voice acting before but it seems fun. I'm not sure if I'll have time to help, but if you really need someone, you can contact me.
I'm more reachable at http://www.llunet1.deviantart.com though. (I don't exactly check this everyday...)
I'm female, btw. :)

Oh. And I can help you with backgrounds... but I take commissions for them ^^; So if this will be a free game, that's probably not an option for you. //also I don't have a paypal so that makes it even harder Hahah... I need a paypal...

PitchySoldier

#6 Post by PitchySoldier »

[Update 08.08.2014]

OMG you guys are so kind! I was very nervous because this is my first project!!

@Rinima Awww I hope you won't get upset at the game!
@Coldreaver Ahaha, in fact I hope that Robin and Bianca surprised the player with their character development!
@cosmic latte Like Coldreaver said about the sprite, the character won't be in the game but he is one of my OC's but I hope to surprise you too with the main character!
@Llunet1 I take your comment and I'll try to make some things more than that cover! Anyway thank you for offering your services ;; but I'll put a message in the recruiment section!

PitchySoldier

Re: True Friends [Friendship|Thriller|Psych][Update 17.08.20

#7 Post by PitchySoldier »

Well, the last updates have some prototypes of SPRITES and BACKGROUNDS. I'm such a newbie in visual novels and maybe this is too big for two people. So that's why I'm going to make a post in the recruitment part. I hope I'll have some good luck.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

PitchySoldier wrote:@Rinima Awww I hope you won't get upset at the game!
Does that mean you've heard of HetaOni?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

PitchySoldier

Re: True Friends [Friendship|Thriller|Psych][Update 04.09.20

#9 Post by PitchySoldier »

Update!!
@Rinima Does that mean you've heard of HetaOni?
Yeah!! I really like Hetalia but I played the Ao Oni not the HetaOni