A Digital Ghost Stroy [Sci-fi][Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Vin Howard
Regular
Projects: A Digital Ghost Story
IRC Nick: Vin_Howard

A Digital Ghost Stroy [Sci-fi][Drama]

#1 Post by Vin Howard »

A semi-kinetic short story about experiencing someone else's past
---
"In the early 21st century, humanity developed a means to convert memories into a digital format. But with this advancement came a startling phenomenon...

"When memories extracted from a recently deceased human were inputted into an AI's code, the AI began acting well outside the designs of its code, even blatantly ignoring them in many instances.

"These 'AI' took on personality of their own and even began showing signs of sentience.

"To this day the nature of this phenomenon is the subject of much debate. Has humanity accomplished the digitization of the human consciousness? Is it a continuation of life for the deceased or is it an entirely new life? Can it even be considered human? Can it even be considered alive?

"One thing is for certain, though: something exists within those digitized memories. And that something has come to be widely referred to by the name of 'ghost.'"

---
In "A Digital Ghost Story," you play the role of a ghost whisperer tasked with the job of awakening a dormant ghost. In the process you learn of the ghost's first experience with love and its tragic end.

About 8.5k words in length, it will contain 3 sprites, 4 BG's (probably), and some branching at the end that will result in 3 endings. ((There is also a chance of some CG, but don't get your hopes up.))

Gameplay will have you directly playing the role of the Ghost Whisperer, answering questions with the responses pre-determined by the asker ((there are a reasonable number of questions like these, but most will only result in some immediate dialogue change)). You will transition between memory and discussing the memory with, at first, your partner and then later with the actual ghost.

---

The project is being done by myself (story idea, writing, "coding" [if you can call it that >_>], and "director") while the sprites are being done by khanachi (http://khanachi.deviantart.com/). We might already have a GUI artist, the backgrounds are a bit up in the air right now, and the game will have cc-licensed music for the soundtrack.

Progress:
Writing: "100%" (Will probably go back and change a few lines of dialogue)
Sprites: 70%~80%
Coding: Lol (Does it run from beginning to end, properly displaying the sprites, changing scenes, and playing music in a way that doesn't glitch? Yes. Does it do so in a way that doesn't cause me to grimace every time I open the code? No...)
BG's: Still a bit up in the air
Music: 90% (Just want to change a song or two and change some timing)

---

Now to show some assets. Because the BG's and UI are still in their placeholder stage, I'll instead show you the sprites. And since I feel like being a big tease, I'll show them off one at a time (saving the Ghost for last).

First off is Rahven. Easy-going and pleasant to be around, he has the ability to converse with anyone.

---

And for those interested, a little background on this project:

I have been interested in being a writing for awhile now, although I have finished very few works (it's mostly notebooks full of unfinished works). I first became interested in writing VN's after playing "Analogue: A Hate Story" and "Hate Plus," and "A Digital Ghost Story" is the direct result. With this project, my first VN, I hope to hone my skills and better understand what goes into the production of a VN. My end goal is to hopefully become a professional writing, either for VN's or for some other form of storytelling.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

Re: A Digital Ghost Stroy [Sci-fi][Drama]

#2 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Hey there, this looks fantastic. I've always thought it would be cool to play some ghost game! Your plot is very well done and nicely thought out, which I think is pretty interesting to play. I really love the sprite and am curious as to what you have in mind for the rest of the characters :)
ImageImage

sempersapiens
Regular

#3 Post by sempersapiens »

Sounds like a really interesting concept! Looking forward to playing it. :)

Vin Howard
Regular

#4 Post by Vin Howard »

Thanks for showing interest; hopefully it can live up to you're expectations :)

I was planning to provide a status update today, but it's late and I'm tired and my attempts at writing said status update turn out bad. So I'll save that for tomorrow ;)

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#5 Post by Snowflower »

I really like this idea! Looking forward to the game!
Rahven looks pretty awesome too!
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Love the art (khnachi <3) and the premise! Seeing as no one has pointed it out... the title is misspelled in the header. It should be story not stroy. Best of luck; I'll be waiting eagerly for updates!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#7 Post by Noire »

It looks pretty sweet so far ^_^

Vin Howard
Regular

#8 Post by Vin Howard »

Sorry for the late update (I scheduled yesterday quite poorly), but here it is now. Me and khanachi are currently in the process of making sure we have all the expressions we need for the game's sprites. This will involve some back and forth over the coming days and will hopefully not take to long.

I unfortunately don't have a new character and sprite to show you guys, or more news to share with you guys, but hopefully progress will accelerate over these next few days :)

Holland
Regular
Projects: Lycoris: Their Journies [WIP], With or Without You [NaNo19]

#9 Post by Holland »

The premise of this is really interesting! Did you get inspiration from GitS? The art is also looking really nice (although the neck seems super long on closer inspection?). I'm definitely looking forward to the game :'3 Good luck!