Hearts Under Blades [BxG, BxB][Samurai][Kickstarter][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ammeh
Regular

Re: Hearts Under Blades [BxG, BxB][Samurai][Fantasy]

#31 Post by Ammeh »

ArtistMeli wrote:
Ammeh wrote:This looks super-shiny and I'm really excited about it--I love intrigue, and the idea of being able to build both romantic and political relationships has me absolutely giddy. I backed the Kickstarter, but I'm extremely surprised that there are only 37 backers after 10 days. (It looks like you'll make the main goal, but I'm very invested in the female PC stretch goal. ;)) The Kickstarter page looks polished and at the very least gets me excited about the game, so I'm wondering if there just aren't many people finding out about it. Have you been doing much to advertise the Kickstarter specifically?
Thanks so much for your support! I have been advertising as much as I know how, through facebook, twitter, deviantart, and tumblr, and we even had a booth at a con for our launch weekend, but I have just about exhausted my outlets. If you have any suggestions, I would certainly be open to them!
It seems like most of those outlets would only get people who were already following you. Maybe reach out to other communities (forums, imageboards, etc) where people who might be interested in aspects of the game congregate? (I assume you've already hit the major VN communities, but what about Japan-focused or BxB-focused ones?)

Also, it's minor, but you could edit the topic of this thread to put Kickstarter in the title so it's visible without opening the thread, like some of the other threads have. :)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Hearts Under Blades [BxG, BxB][Samurai][Fantasy][Demo]

#32 Post by try10 »

I've just finished the demo and I was really impressed. I have waited for a long time to find a good game with Samurai and supernatural. Everything looks professional and the art is stunning. I wish we could choose to play as a female in the future too, if you have the time and resources. I wish you the best of luck with this project! :D

ArtistMeli
Completed: Destiny Revival: Sailor Moon Classic, Sailor Moon R+, Codename Sailor V
Projects: Hearts Under Blades
Organization: Leading Scientists Games

#33 Post by ArtistMeli »

Thanks so much for your support! I have been advertising as much as I know how, through facebook, twitter, deviantart, and tumblr, and we even had a booth at a con for our launch weekend, but I have just about exhausted my outlets. If you have any suggestions, I would certainly be open to them!
It seems like most of those outlets would only get people who were already following you. Maybe reach out to other communities (forums, imageboards, etc) where people who might be interested in aspects of the game congregate? (I assume you've already hit the major VN communities, but what about Japan-focused or BxB-focused ones?)

Also, it's minor, but you could edit the topic of this thread to put Kickstarter in the title so it's visible without opening the thread, like some of the other threads have. :)[/quote]

That's true, and that's been part of the difficulty for me. I did reach out on DeviantArt to the different game developer and VN groups, and that seems to have helped, but it's still a fairly limited venue. I'm actually the person on the team who's played the least number of VNs, so marketing has been pretty tough for me. ^_^; I'll start doing some looking now, but in the meantime, are there specific communities you would recommend going to?

I will try to get our OP to add Kickstarter in the topic asap, as well.

ArtistMeli
Completed: Destiny Revival: Sailor Moon Classic, Sailor Moon R+, Codename Sailor V

#34 Post by ArtistMeli »

try10 wrote:I've just finished the demo and I was really impressed. I have waited for a long time to find a good game with Samurai and supernatural. Everything looks professional and the art is stunning. I wish we could choose to play as a female in the future too, if you have the time and resources. I wish you the best of luck with this project! :D
Thanks so much! Even if we don't reach the stretch goal for the female character in the Kickstarter, we plan to continue fundraising through other venues, so hopefully we will be able to include her eventually!

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#35 Post by Fungii »

Would I be allowed to liveblog the demo on my when I play it? Usually when I blog about something long enough I get a few people asking what game it is and I could hopefully throw a few people your KS's way.

ArtistMeli

#36 Post by ArtistMeli »

Fungii wrote:Would I be allowed to liveblog the demo on my when I play it? Usually when I blog about something long enough I get a few people asking what game it is and I could hopefully throw a few people your KS's way.
Absolutely, I would love it if you did! Thanks so much. ^_^ Anyone can feel free to post up reviews, live blogs, let's plays, or whatever you like about our demo.

Ammeh
Regular

#37 Post by Ammeh »

ArtistMeli wrote: I'll start doing some looking now, but in the meantime, are there specific communities you would recommend going to?
If you can get a banner ad together in the next few days, Project Wonderful might be a good option. As I understand it, they're a 3rd party site that does banner ads for a variety of websites (mostly webcomics), and you can put up a banner ad on a specific site directly through them by bidding on a slot. I can PM you some suggestions for specific sites.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#38 Post by Fungii »

I'd suggest making an even jazzier promotion post for your tumblr as well.
Basically like a mini version of what you have up on the KS, but as a photoset with screencaps and the character lineup. That'll get a lot more attention than just a link post to your KS.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Hearts Under Blades [BxG, BxB][Samurai][Kickstarter][Dem

#39 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I'm finally almost finished writing up my comments! It's taken ages, but I hope you can forgive me! I've worked on this while juggling my everyday responsibilities.

If all goes well, you can expect the link to Google Docs to appear in this post within the next hour or two. :) (Google Docs keeps crashing on me, though. I guess it's because the document is so full of comments . . .)

EDIT 09/14: Almost there! Please stop crashing, Google Docs. :cry:
Last edited by Mad Harlequin on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by philip »

Just downloaded the demo, and went through it. I like the story, the characters, the artwork . . . everything about it. I saved all the choices as I went through the first time, and when I had finished, went back several times, making different choices, to further explore the direction that the story might go. I have no specific criticisms, and will eagerly await further progress!

Excuse me now, I'm off to the Kickstarter to make my contribution. I do hope that there will be a lot of others that will contribute generously to help this effort reach your goals!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I finally did it . . . :shock:

I finished with my feedback---or at least as much of it as I could successfully extract. The scene just before the end of the demo wasn't within the script included with the game files. I can go back and mess with that later if you'd like, but I hope that the comments and suggestions I've provided are enough to help you with the rest. For now, I need a break!

Note: There are extra spaces between sentences for some reason. I didn't notice them when I started, but later on they came to my attention. I don't know if they're intentional, but I've tried to correct as many as possible. I will gladly go back to the script later and hunt for more if it helps you.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12W8 ... BxNHk/edit
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

maricon

#42 Post by maricon »

How's the progress?
I played the demo, and it was very fun :) So I'm interested in how things are going for you guys.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Well, I've just thrown some money at you guys. :)

It's not much, but I wish you the best!
— Mark Twain

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#44 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

I finished the demo and love what I see of your game! I do have one question however.

Your kickstarter declares that it exists to fund "the first chapter." To me this implies that the finished game will not contain a complete story but will only have the first part. Is this accurate?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:Your Kickstarter declares that it exists to fund "the first chapter." To me this implies that the finished game will not contain a complete story but will only have the first part. Is this accurate?
That's a very good point! I don't know how I missed this. I need to read more carefully next time.
— Mark Twain