[Project thread is now defunct]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yon
Regular
Projects: YDSP
Soundcloud: tetra-yon
itch: v-ual

Re: Yudashi Peril [GxG, Romance Game]

#16 Post by yon »

You bring up some good points. To be honest, writing that scene where Snake beats up Hitomi felt wrong. A lot has changed in my handling of the characters since the demo came out, and I'm sure it doesn't do you any good to just be told this, but it's true.
I also felt weird about how I wrote the relationship with Yui, because I personally feel like they get along better as friends than as lovers, and it's hard to write something that doesn't feel "right", I guess.

As for the teacher route, I can see where you're coming from. In fact, that's why I included her -- I'm 'immoral', too. There's a reason why she's so accepting with the relationship and why she takes it in stride, but you'll have to play the full game for that.

Thanks for taking the time to play it and give me your input!

yon
Regular

#17 Post by yon »

Hey everyone! It's been a little while since I posted anything here, but I'd like to catch you all up on the progress with the game so far.

We've been tweaking the script itself here and there, but mainly I've been trying to get the coding in progress. And so far, it's going pretty well! Here's a look at the files in the game so far:

Each of those chapters contains the minor events you'll run into each time you play the game. Right now I'm working on implementing free time events (when you get to choose where to hang out) and the nightly check-ins (which is more of a UI issue to figure out than anything).

Once those are figured out, I'll add in the route files themselves, and the extra events that come along with each route.

When those are done, I'll start to implement media and graphics. But that's further off in the future, as you may be able to tell.

yon
Regular

#18 Post by yon »

Hey, wow. It's been a while. This is still happening. It's just that, my dev team fell apart thanks to real life issues (abusive relationship, specifically), and I've been trying to recover for over a year. That, in addition to my last computer crashing and me being currently unable to access all my files (And it was so close to alpha!) is a huge roadblock. I'm still working on it, and I've been constantly revamping and reworking the plot and characters, so don't worry that momentum's halted on it.

It does have a much darker tone now, than when we first started, though. Mostly due to the above circumstances shaping the story I wanted to tell.

yon
Regular

#19 Post by yon »

Oh, and by the way, I still really appreciate all the feedback and the people that played what I put out so far! It means a lot to me. Even if some of the fanbase got a little out of hand over on Tumblr, the fact that people like what I'm making is very wonderful. I wouldn't have kept going if I didn't have people like you guys.

EndlessOcean
Organization: MagicalIdolStrawberrySailor

#20 Post by EndlessOcean »

Hello Yon and the rest of the team,

I played the demo yesterday and already took the survey but I'd like to leave some further comments about the game.
I'll use a spoiler tag from here on, just in case.
So first of all I wanted to say that I liked the story so far, it was a bit unpolished but that's understandable given the fact that it was only a demo. It was a very long demo, didn't expect to be able to play the whole route. Most demo's end after 2 or 3 events, I really liked that you people made it possible to play until the end.

The characters were interesting but some things made me cringe.
Yui's route was fine and developed rather smoothly. Although a confession event would've been fun (as noted by some other ppl as well).
Anisha's route felt the most satisfying to me because she actually grows from a distant, but well-meaning, tyrant, to a more relaxed version. Also her 'jumping you in her room' event made me laugh. Poor girl couldn't help herself :P
Snake's route was the least interesting to me, mostly due to fact that my ersonality is the exact opposite of Snake's. I do love pets though but I absolutely disagree with her way of handling things.
Azami's route is actually my favorite. I don't understand why you cut it out from the final (and kept Misato's route in, which I find to be much more disturbing). Playing the clueless younger sister and making Azami embarressed made me laugh a lot. Also I do wonder how the classmates reacted after Azami's confession (not just the kiss that came before). There's no way they could play the second part of as 'practice for a drama'. I could write about my reasining for accepting this but rejecting the teacher/student route, but my post is already long enough.
Misato's route... Where to start. It wasn't Misato herself I disliked, but the whole teacher/student thing felt off (for lack of a better word). I actually felt manipulated and slightly violated. It was like Misato was taking advantage of her authority as a teacher. I did notice that the MC's responses where kinda flirty, MC shouldn't've done that or Misato should've stopped it before it escalated.

On an entirely diffrent note, the whole thing between Misato and MC felt weird on another elevel as well.
The way Misato acted, including her general aloofness and the wishful look at the locket, made me feel as if she went through something similar as the MC during her time as a student. Like Misato had a relationship with a teacher that may or may not have ended well (in case it ended well, she would've still been together so I guess it didn't. In case it ended badly, Misato is altering some of the things that happened to her to make sure it ends well this time). To me it was like she projected all of this on the MC and herself, only with the roles being reversed this time. When she said things like 'Do I make you happy?' and 'it's alright, you're safe here'. It didn't feel like she was talking to the MC but rather to herself. Honestly it felt more like the repetition of a trauma than an actual romance. There are cases where people 'deal' with their trauma by repeating it, only with them as the aggressor. I know this may sound way heavier than it actually is, I might just be reading things into it that aren't there, but this is what it felt like to me and it causes all kinds of alarm bells to go of in my head during my playthrough.
In case you're wondering, I'm not a psychology student, I base my thoughts on books I read and some detectives and games I've seen/played.

I do hope I haven't thoroughly upset (or confused) you. I did really enjoy the game, I just got a bit sidetracked at the end.

yon
Regular

#21 Post by yon »

@ EndlessOcean

Really sorry for the late reply! At the time I made the game, I hadn't thought about ANYTHING like that, but what you've pointed out is VERY accurate and appropriate for the current plans for the game, in that the current game deals much much more with abuse and trauma, and how it affects people like that. I really do appreciate that you put so much thought into your reply! Seriously, I REALLY appreciate it.

I'm not giving up. I haven't been able to recover my files yet, but I think my Comp Sci professor is interested in helping me recover them. Once I have them, I will have a VERY BASIC alpha version of the full game, albeit one that needs its script tweaked and rewritten again.

yon
Regular

#22 Post by yon »

Despite the terrifying thought of trying to come back to this game over 5 years since my last post, I'm still trying to finish this. Going to have to relearn renpy and the language, no doubt, but here's to trying to wrap this up.

Pretty much entirely given up on recovering my old files at this point, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and redo it from scratch.

The story is vastly different now from how it used to be, as is the tone and intent. Here's to hoping you guys like what you see.