WAS ~The Hourglass of Lepidoptera~ [Kickstarter][ADV]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
nekoman

WAS ~The Hourglass of Lepidoptera~ [Kickstarter][ADV]

#1 Post by nekoman »

INFO:

This is going to be the first game I develop with Ren'py. The game is actually a port of an existing game made with another engine and translated in English so I don't know if this is the correct section of the forum.
Anyway a short demo is coming soon, and I would love to hear some of your suggestions about it.

The Kickstarter started today!

You can check for more info, download the demo, and if you want fund it from the URL below:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... o-the-west

Also, I want to thank the community for the help I had from when I started developing with Ren'py.

Thank you very much!!
Last edited by nekoman on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: WAS ~The Hourglass of Lepidoptera~ [ADV][Kickstarter]

#2 Post by PyTom »

I think this is a reasonable section of the forum to post in. Since the game has been released already, I think we can waive the demo requirement.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

nekoman

#3 Post by nekoman »

PyTom wrote:I think this is a reasonable section of the forum to post in. Since the game has been released already, I think we can waive the demo requirement.
Hold on, a very short demo is coming very very soon. It's almost ready, we are only fixing part of the translation.
I hope I can get the text fixed for tomorrow.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

That's quite a successful Kickstarter... after just one day, over $10K has been pledged. You may benefit by updating soon.

It looks like the story will have something to say about the city of Tottori and its 20th century history. These seem like interesting topics, and I'm hoping the story has a sense of place and time. It sounds vaguely similar to Tears 9, 10, which was a rather bleak story about social problems and Korea's recent past.

I noticed the story of WAS is described as a "Dystopian Drama ADV," and the statement, "Though WAS might appear to be a bishoujo game, we wish to present a brand-new interpretation of the concept." I have no problem with taking the story seriously, and emphasizing drama and realism. That said... I also saw that "dakimakura add ons" will be offered to backers. Do you think this might go against the intention of your story? If the player is expected to see the characters and heroines as respectable people struggling through life, then is it a good idea to offer merchandise that emphasizes their attractiveness?

One last thing -- use whichever game / visual novel engine works for you. There's probably no way to ensure the final product will work with 100% of computers.

nekoman

#5 Post by nekoman »

Thank you for funding it gekiganwing!

The game has been tested on several machines, anyway it's made with renpy so every machine that can run a renpy game should run it. On my ancient Centrino notebook the particles on title menu were pretty slow, but the game was playable.

Story is not so serious as you think, so I think that goods like dakimakura would be fine.
Anyway our goals are basically to pay the licensing fee to use the voices outside Japan (right now we can't), and to make it full voiced (right now voices are only during event scenes). Then if there is still someone supporting the game after that, it will be the turn of the Android port, that will require to pay AGAIN licensing fees, since our is valid only for Windows.
After that there are dakimakuras and such, but it's truly a long way until that.

For everything else about the game, I have just sent the short demo and the guys of sekai project will update the kickstarter very soon.

nekoman

Re: WAS ~The Hourglass of Lepidoptera~ [Kickstarter][ADV][DE

#6 Post by nekoman »

The short demo is available now.
Last edited by nekoman on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

Can you please make the demo available for the other platforms?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

nekoman

#8 Post by nekoman »

PyTom wrote:Can you please make the demo available for the other platforms?
It would be a bit meaningless since it's planned only the version for Windows and *maybe* the Android one.
The reason is that every new platform requires to pay new licensing fees to the Voice actor studios, and the actresses working with us are pretty expansive ^^;