Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club[Free][GxB][School][Parody]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cheratomo
Regular
Completed: Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club, Solstice, A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: [Game in Progress], A Year Abroad, Entrepreneur Simulator
Organization: Illus Seed
Tumblr: cheratomo

Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club[Free][GxB][School][Parody]

#1 Post by Cheratomo »

Hello, everyone! I am Cara, also known as Cheratomo. I've been involved with a few VNs in the past, including A Troll's Fairy Tale and Curse of the Caribbean.

We worked on this game for two years, and it's now finished!
The game is now published! Go here to play it! https://illusseed.itch.io/asagao-academ ... boots-club

Check out the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlw6ineiYSA

When things in her life get to be too much to handle, Hana Mizuno transfers to Asagao Academy to start fresh. Once there, she runs into the Normal Boots Club - a group of handsome, competitive gamers, and the most popular guys in school. And they need her to compete in this year's gaming tournament!

Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club is a free fan-made otome game (romance-oriented visual novel from a female perspective) based on the guys of Normal Boots. It is light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek, affectionately parodying visual novel, anime, and video game tropes, while also incorporating a serious story about a girl's journey through romance and friendship.

Hana, the protagonist of Asagao Academy, transfers to the private boarding school after a series of negative experiences at her old school. Upon reaching Asagao Academy, she discovers the Normal Boots Club - a group of attractive, talented competitive gamers - and takes it upon herself to try to join, though her motives may be less than pure. Shy, awkward, quiet, and a wee bit insecure, she has a truly big heart and genuinely cares about the people close to her.

Mai is Hana's loud, boisterous, and spunky roommate. Although she comes from a rich family, she isn't snobby or conceited. She's obsessed with the Normal Boots Club, Jared in particular, and is known to be a bit blunt. Her excessive energy makes her an ace on the school's volleyball team.

Jon is one of the founding members of the Normal Boots Club. He adores bizarre retro games, and after a traumatic incident involving a thousand piece puzzle, began to play them professionally. He loves his pet bird, Jacques, more than life itself. Jon is charismatic, energetic, and animated, and as such is the head of the Drama Club and in charge of casting for this year's play. Everything seems to be going well for him - that is, until he loses something dear...

PBG, one of the founding members of the Normal Boots Club, is an easy-going, caring, and optimistic guy. He doesn't spend much time on his schoolwork, instead choosing to focus on things that are important to him, like Asagao's soccer team and pinball games. Despite his friendliness, he keeps giving Hana strange looks, and then starts skipping class... just what's going on with him?

Jared is a part-time model, and the first person Hana meets at Asagao Academy. His overall perfection and inherent sense of rhythm make him a formidable opponent in dance battles. Naturally, he is the most attractive person in the school and knows it, often coming off as vain, fickle, and shallow. Despite this, Jared truly cares for his friends, and the confidence he projects may not be as solid as it appears.

Satch is an assistant librarian at the school library. He's currently working on a virtual reality machine, and as such specializes in game design and invention. Satch is intellectual, empathetic, mature and well-read. He's disconcertingly good at reading people, and always thinks of others' feelings before his own. This leads him to keep his problems to himself - a habit that might backfire when Normal Boots is targeted...

Shane is a foreign exchange student from England. Quiet, straightforward, and blunt, he draws a weekly comic strip, but has lately been having difficulty with it. He's a natural with trivia competitions, but instead chooses to challenge himself with Nario Cart. Despite how much the club needs Hana's skills, he has been steadfastly against her joining.

Jirard is an avid collector of Itty Bitty Kitty figurines. Passionate, ambitious, and a bit of a perfectionist, he is the resident speed-runner, though his weak spot is any Pokemon game after the first generation. Perhaps as a result of his need to complete, he does well both academically and socially, being one of the most caring, open, and thorough people on campus.

Paul, Nick, and Josh, while members of the Normal Boots Club, are blood bound under Continue?'s banner. They are almost inseparable, typically found competing among themselves and wreaking general havoc by reenacting the '80s and '90s arcade beat-em-ups they love so dearly. Paul decides to run for student council president, but when a strong rival appears, will the pressure of competition be too much?

(P.S. This game is being made with permission from Normal Boots, but is not officially affiliated with them.)

Get the game: https://illusseed.itch.io/asagao-academ ... boots-club
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AsagaoAcademy
I bring this project here for two specific reasons: One, to bring it to your attention, and two, to get your feedback. I really, really want to know what you guys will make of it. While it's obvious this game is designed for the fans of these YouTubers, the team working on it absolutely loves visual novels and specifically otome games. We have every intention of giving this game a meaningful and accessible story, and making it so that even people who have no idea who these guys are can enjoy it. We're making it just as much for the otome community as we are for the Normal Boots fan community.

So what I want to know is: What do you guys think? Would you be willing to play a game with a premise like this? Is there anything you'd be looking for or would want from us in order to feel like it's a quality otome game?
Last edited by Cheratomo on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

daijinahito
Regular
Projects: Siren's Plea & A+ Switch!

Re: Asagao Academy: Normal Boots Club[Free][GxB][School][Par

#2 Post by daijinahito »

"and after a traumatic incident involving a thousand piece puzzle" You had me hooked after that line. I really feel like I need to see this guy's traumatic reactions and what triggers them. What do I think? Sounds surprisingly down to earth, but it has a quirky fun sound to it. Seeing how e-sports are getting more and more popular, I think this is relevant to our now day culture as well. Guys with facial hair? Yes, please! It's very refreshing to see so many guys with facial hair in the cast. Also, I noticed the MC's eyebrows are brown. I'm glad to know she isn't a natural pink headed girl, he he. The only question I have about that is... how does she get away with dying her hair at school? But, all I really care about is a solid story with good scenarios and likable characters. If you can deliver that, I would love to play this through till the end. It's definitely looking promising right now. Good luck!

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#3 Post by Inksword »

I really like the idea of a gamer focused VN, though personally real-life celebrities are not my cup of tea at all. I can DEFINITELY see it being other people's thing though, but you might want to check up on the legalities on using the names/likenesses of all these people? Especially if you're using their persona/show names as IDK if those would fall under trademark or not :o

Cheratomo
Regular

#4 Post by Cheratomo »

Inksword wrote:I really like the idea of a gamer focused VN, though personally real-life celebrities are not my cup of tea at all. I can DEFINITELY see it being other people's thing though, but you might want to check up on the legalities on using the names/likenesses of all these people? Especially if you're using their persona/show names as IDK if those would fall under trademark or not :o
Don't worry - we've had their permission from the get-go. They're even on-board with doing some voice acting for us if we hit that stretch goal! (I would never make a game based off of real people if they weren't 100% okay with it. Ever.)
So would you say the real-life celebrity thing would deter you, even if the characters are their own entities? (The characters are based on these guys, but have evolved into full entities in their own right.)

Cheratomo
Regular

#5 Post by Cheratomo »

daijinahito wrote:"and after a traumatic incident involving a thousand piece puzzle" You had me hooked after that line. I really feel like I need to see this guy's traumatic reactions and what triggers them. What do I think? Sounds surprisingly down to earth, but it has a quirky fun sound to it. Seeing how e-sports are getting more and more popular, I think this is relevant to our now day culture as well. Guys with facial hair? Yes, please! It's very refreshing to see so many guys with facial hair in the cast. Also, I noticed the MC's eyebrows are brown. I'm glad to know she isn't a natural pink headed girl, he he. The only question I have about that is... how does she get away with dying her hair at school? But, all I really care about is a solid story with good scenarios and likable characters. If you can deliver that, I would love to play this through till the end. It's definitely looking promising right now. Good luck!
Yay! Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope you'll like it when we're done with it. ^-^ However, the MC is actually a natural pink-headed girl... but that's not something that goes unnoticed in the game. In fact, it's relevant to the plot. Pink-headed characters have their own sort of connotations in this world...

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

As a VN fan and a NB fan, this cracks me up X3. I could definitely see it appealing to VNs fans who aren't NB fans though. A free VN that has this level of polish is pretty rare so I imagine a good chunk of GxB players will at least give it a chance whether or not they know about NB. If someone does pass it up I'd guess it'd be for a reason other than it being based on the NB guys, like they don't like VNs with school settings or parody VNs.

As for making a quality otome game, I'm not sure what to say since different people want different things. Sorry >.>. I personally like entertaining/enjoyable MCs, a good amount of choices to make, and variety in the different endings (as in, more than just romance endings being possible).

Well, anyways I wish you good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your team ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Cheratomo
Regular

#7 Post by Cheratomo »

Googaboga wrote:As a VN fan and a NB fan, this cracks me up X3. I could definitely see it appealing to VNs fans who aren't NB fans though. A free VN that has this level of polish is pretty rare so I imagine a good chunk of GxB players will at least give it a chance whether or not they know about NB. If someone does pass it up I'd guess it'd be for a reason other than it being based on the NB guys, like they don't like VNs with school settings or parody VNs.

As for making a quality otome game, I'm not sure what to say since different people want different things. Sorry >.>. I personally like entertaining/enjoyable MCs, a good amount of choices to make, and variety in the different endings (as in, more than just romance endings being possible).

Well, anyways I wish you good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your team ^^.
Oh, thank you! We're doing most of the things you suggested. There are only two "true" endings in the game currently, but what happens with other things at the end will vary depending on your choices and will affect the ending as well - it just won't affect which version of the romance ending you get, if that makes sense. x3 We're hoping to make it well-polished. I kind of hope that it will serve as a good introduction to otome games for people who haven't played them, or only know of Hatoful Boyfriend and don't take them as seriously. x3

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#8 Post by Dylan_Bain »

OHH MAH GASH i am gonna get this i LOVE pbg and jontrons vids i have always wanted to meet them. This is probably the closest i will get!
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

completelyaddicted21

#9 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

this game looks amazing! I don't really know the normal boots but the premise is really interesting. I like how its based on real people hahah! This definitely isn't the first gaming inspired otome, but Im really excited to see the character development in the main protagonist as the story progresses. One of the reasons why I enjoy playing leads that are shy is because their character and personality develops immensely and at the end of the VN they become strong and confident, so I hope this one is like that too! Best of luck to the development of this game, I'll be following it closely!

mysticichigo
Regular

#10 Post by mysticichigo »

I've been super excited for this since I saw it had a TV Tropes page.

chiharuchi
Regular

#11 Post by chiharuchi »

The game is amazing. I would take a meteor over it-
The references omalord. Animal Interception. xD
That being said, sorry for the rushed review but what in da heck was missing with Hana in True ending-
The weird, crazy and obsessive one. Even in her diary she said something wasn't right and it indicated that.. The good ending was all a dream? It was too good to be true but it said twuu ending but but I gotta know plsssss

Cheratomo
Regular

#12 Post by Cheratomo »

chiharuchi wrote:The game is amazing. I would take a meteor over it-
The references omalord. Animal Interception. xD
That being said, sorry for the rushed review but what in da heck was missing with Hana in True ending-
The weird, crazy and obsessive one. Even in her diary she said something wasn't right and it indicated that.. The good ending was all a dream? It was too good to be true but it said twuu ending but but I gotta know plsssss
Thanks for saying this! :D To answer your question...
We've since updated that end to make more sense for players - it's the "Jacques True Ending" rather than the overall game's True Ending. The game doesn't have a True End xD