From the Sugar Plum Kingdom (Political, Fantasy)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yaelso
Projects: From the Sugar Plum Kingdom
Tumblr: yaelso
Deviantart: yaelso
itch: yaelso

Re: From the Sugar Plum Kingdom (Political, Fantasy)

#16 Post by yaelso »

Finally getting around to shoving things together again! I'm short on time these days, but I'm happy that FSPK sat for a bit. I feel like I'm much more capable of getting what I want out of it, to say the least. I plan on updating the thread as usual with a few new assets, but for now I'll just set down a little GUI demo. Also worth noting; few details have changed, as well as Clara's design!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#17 Post by Ghost of Crux »

1) Does the premise sound appealing?
Yes! I really want to see this completed. Political, war-time drama is one of my favourite type of stories, but VNs especially.

2) Is there anything you'd like or hope to see out of the game?
Dilemma A good story. The struggles of war and politics being heavily discussed?

3) Is there anything that pops out to you the most?
A lot of things, actually. First, the premise. Then the GUI! It's so pretty. It's clear and gorgeous and it's real nice lemme tell ya.

I can't wait to see more updates!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

yaelso

#18 Post by yaelso »

Ghost of Crux wrote:1) Does the premise sound appealing?
Yes! I really want to see this completed. Political, war-time drama is one of my favourite type of stories, but VNs especially.

Dilemma A good story. The struggles of war and politics being heavily discussed?

A lot of things, actually. First, the premise. Then the GUI! It's so pretty. It's clear and gorgeous and it's real nice lemme tell ya.

Oh gosh-- thank you so much for looking everything over!! Especially with the GUI; I swear, it's one of the worst things to get hung up on.
I definitely plan on discussing the politics and issues that come hand-in-hand with war, though. I want it to be more immersing than a backdrop, if that makes sense?

yaelso

#19 Post by yaelso »

Just dropping by with another update; among other things, I've reworked a map and some of the new GUI so that things are fluid. Though these are extremely scribble-y, they get the point across for the time being. I plan on finishing up the GUI so that I'll finally leave it alone and then move on to some of the sprites so that I can begin tidying up a demo. I'm not giving times yet for that because I have SATs & school things coming up, but I'd like to say that it shouldn't be all but too long.

ImageImage

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Ghost of Crux »

orionnomajo wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote:1) Does the premise sound appealing?

Oh gosh-- thank you so much for looking everything over!! Especially with the GUI; I swear, it's one of the worst things to get hung up on.
I definitely plan on discussing the politics and issues that come hand-in-hand with war, though. I want it to be more immersing than a backdrop, if that makes sense?
YAYAY
I am ridiculously happy to hear that! It's such a huge part of war, imho-- a lot of decisions in war ARE politics, after all. I'm happy to hear this :'D

also I SWEAR you create some of the most ridiculously gorgeous GUI ever. That quit thing on the front page looks ridiculously pretty. I am so in love, and so in jealous because whoa. The history screen also looks really good-- I especially love the choices in color. Honestly, you get me hyped up with just the GUI alone. It's incredible.
Image Image

yaelso

#21 Post by yaelso »

Ghost of Crux wrote: YAYAY
I am ridiculously happy to hear that! It's such a huge part of war, imho-- a lot of decisions in war ARE politics, after all. I'm happy to hear this :'D

also I SWEAR you create some of the most ridiculously gorgeous GUI ever. That quit thing on the front page looks ridiculously pretty. I am so in love, and so in jealous because whoa. The history screen also looks really good-- I especially love the choices in color. Honestly, you get me hyped up with just the GUI alone. It's incredible.
It is tbh! I'm super glad someone feels the same as well. I get so disappointed when it's skimped out on/choices are made one-dimensional, so I want to try my best to avoid all of that.

Gonna be honest here, I spent a solid twenty ten minutes giggling literally on my desk after reading that-- you have no clue how much that means to me!! I've spent a lot of time nit-picking and redrafting over and over to get things right, so I'm extremely relieved to know it all has come together (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و But man you're too darned sweet yknow! I've been spying on your projects too and I can't wait for them to be posted; the plots all sound right up my alley, and I've been dying to see art like yours in VNs. I'm sending tons of good luck your way!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Ghost of Crux »

orionnomajo wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote: YAYAY

It is tbh! I'm super glad someone feels the same as well. I get so disappointed when it's skimped out on/choices are made one-dimensional, so I want to try my best to avoid all of that.

Gonna be honest here, I spent a solid twenty ten minutes giggling literally on my desk after reading that-- you have no clue how much that means to me!! I've spent a lot of time nit-picking and redrafting over and over to get things right, so I'm extremely relieved to know it all has come together (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و But man you're too darned sweet yknow! I've been spying on your projects too and I can't wait for them to be posted; the plots all sound right up my alley, and I've been dying to see art like yours in VNs. I'm sending tons of good luck your way!
It helps that your art promises to compliment the plot very nicely?? I absolutely adore your art style, but in conjunction with the political and fantasy aspect your plot seems to have?????? What is this gift upon the world.
//wwinks because I'm a huge fan of your art

THAT IS GOOD... Because I really am in awe with the GUI you've made so far, okay. I just saw your sketches for Clara, too, and I just adore how much the sprites, art and GUI come together so beautifully. Also I love your character concept for North (?) so I hope that it'll get finished sometime in the future :'D
Thank you!! :'DD Same goes to you! Lots of luck, and I hope I get to see all your projects finished! I'll be lurking around.
Image Image

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#23 Post by rock_an9el »

Heck yes!!! I am also a fan of fairy tale retellings, it's just exciting to see how some stories can be changed and interpreted in different ways. I love the fact that the theme is going to be a political one. I don't know, i just really find this premise interesting!

For romance to be something secondary, not something the story revolves around. But since the premise itself sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind if romance took over.

GUI <3 Oh gosh, it's so darn pretty and detailed, like, how did you do that? I'm a total noob when it comes to drafting the GUI (I try to make the designs for it which makes our artist want to pull her hair out xD ). And the art also caught my attention! It's really pretty and a bit different to what I'm used to, what makes me like it even more!

4) Lastly, are there any further questions or critiques? Any tips would be appreciated!
No questions, I'm just wishing you luck with the project because it must be quite hard to do everything alone! The only tip I have is to not consider your project as a job because then you'll be forcing yourself into finishing it, which can lower the quality of your game a lot.

Good luck with finishing this game once again! Can't wait to play it :D

EDIT: I just thought of this, maybe you could update the first post with all the updates of art you've made? It's progress and people don't have to search through the thread to find the art :)
Image Image Image

yaelso

#24 Post by yaelso »

I can't sit down and do a proper update quite yet, but this is one of the roughs for the revised logo!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#25 Post by Zelan »

i must say i'm a fan

that logo is beautiful holy eff

yaelso

#26 Post by yaelso »

rock_an9el wrote: 3) Is there anything that pops out to you the most?
GUI <3 Oh gosh, it's so darn pretty and detailed, like, how did you do that? I'm a total noob when it comes to drafting the GUI (I try to make the designs for it which makes our artist want to pull her hair out xD ). And the art also caught my attention! It's really pretty and a bit different to what I'm used to, what makes me like it even more!

4) Lastly, are there any further questions or critiques? Any tips would be appreciated!
No questions, I'm just wishing you luck with the project because it must be quite hard to do everything alone! The only tip I have is to not consider your project as a job because then you'll be forcing yourself into finishing it, which can lower the quality of your game a lot.

EDIT: I just thought of this, maybe you could update the first post with all the updates of art you've made? It's progress and people don't have to search through the thread to find the art :)
Tysm!! My design process is actually really wonky I'll admit lmao

Normally I try to define my projects by a general theme and collect similar inspiration-- signs, patterns, engravings, etc. From there, I mix and match ideas by blocking them out as they'd appear in game!

(;´∀`) I know it's probably a little silly, but that last bit has really stuck with me. I'm pretty sure a ten-ton load of guilt dropped clean from my back when I first read it? But either way, I plan on adding the updates like you mentioned! It'll take some fiddling around because the shots are a little clunky, but it's a great idea.

quilleth

#27 Post by quilleth »

HECK YES!! I love fairytale retellings and I LOVE The Nutcracker!
From what I've read in the original post and your replies to comments, I can't think of anything to add except that I'm really interested in how you'll develop the characters and the characters' relationships with Clara and each other.
First, it looks like the artwork is going to be very pretty! It looks like it will all be cohesive aesthetically, which I think is great. Second, frigging Nutcracker inspired VN game!! I'm glad I went looking for more games because this sounds like it will be right up my alley!
No advice specifically on making the game (I'm trying to learn Renpy...very, veeery slowly) but don't forget to take time to take care of yourself!