Seven Kingdoms [GxB/G] [Fantasy, Politics, Rom] (Greenlit)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: ~(DEMO!)~ Seven Kingdoms [GxB/G] [Fantasy, Rom, Politics

#76 Post by AntiquedFae »

Haha, alright that makes me feel much better about the nerdy MCs tend to have a lot of trouble with the horse challenge. I just did another playthrough with more emphasis on my self defense, courage and nature and still failed terribly. I'm looking very forward to story mode!

There are a lot of things to balance early on in this game, I agree. It is tricky, as as soon as I focus on other stats that I missed last time I suddenly fail an event because of different stats this time. It's one of the downsides to having a game with a lot of different stats. I really like those sorts of games, but then I often find myself a tad overwhelmed. XD

Also, I feel like I need to know; is there any way to not fail at the Matchmaker the first week? :lol:
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

wererat42
Regular

#77 Post by wererat42 »

Just finished Week 1 and it seems like things are very, very skewed against an intellectual lady. Failed practically every skill check at the matchmaker and many other checks before I even got the option to improve skills. Maybe I've been passing other skill checks and the game just isn't letting me know. That might be something to consider - letting the player know when they pass a skill check - it's good to know what you're lacking, and when you need a certain skill, but if you're putting too much time into improving an overdeveloped skill, it doesn't really help.

So far Ana is my favorite character, followed by Hamin I guess. Though I ended up declining his invitation hoping I would be able to improve my woefully inadequate delegate enough to survive.

Sort of a pity Sayra is not a romance option. Dark, quiet, mysterious beauties have a certain appeal, but she hasn't had enough appearances so far for me to really form a solid opinion.

Also a small detail - why does Jiyel, an asian-themed nation, have characters with distinctly European names? Result of marriage alliances?

ColaCat
Veteran

#78 Post by ColaCat »

Cool, finally got his date. And
saved myself at the end!
Ah, few. Well, that's one good thing at least. If you need help proofreading or anything like that let me know - I'm more than happy to help a project like this!

Can't wait for the next update!

alylt
Regular
Projects: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem
Organization: Azalyne Studios
Tumblr: azalynestudios
Deviantart: alylt

#79 Post by alylt »

Hi AntiquedFae, Wererat and ColaCat~

First off public service announcement:
There's no way not to fail the matchmaker the first week! It's the story reason behind needing to work on your stats!

Intellectual characters do have only one related check in the horse challenge and two in the self-introduction, but the game isn't skewed against them as much as it's skewed against
characters who don't build relationships
But this doesn't allow the freedom of play I initially wanted, which is why there are now going to be story-mode!

Which leads me to public service announcement 2:
The game rewards you for building relationships!

Here's some tips for people who want to play little geniuses though:
Make sure to spread some of your stats around, it's possible to put a lot of points into intelligence, you will never need more than 100! Also are you hosting the history lecture? Your type of character is the only one who can do it well!
I've put a big update in the second post talking about the state of the demo and the upcoming features. I've already included one that addresses your concerns Wererat :) Yes! I'm adding a happy success noise because people are thinking they are failing way more than they are.

There are two reasons behind the names chosen for Jiyel.
) 1. There has been a lot of intermixing for generations and 2) I didn't want to pick one Asian culture and base it off of that since it's been influenced by many and intermixing names from a bunch of different real countries and languages seemed to be saying that they were all interchangeable, which they aren't. Which may seem contradictory, but there you go. So I gave them 'fantasy' names rather than names that are routed anywhere in the real world. Which is true for all the countries in the game, not just Jiyel. (Some names are less fantasyish than others of course, but it wasn't the intent to give them real world equivalents.)

Lyyli
Regular

#80 Post by Lyyli »

I love seeing new posts about this game as I'm following it really closely <3 Now that Dragon Age Inquisition is out this is one of few games I'm really keeping an eye on.
I'm looking forward to the changes, they will definitely make things a little easier.
And now to your questions~

What is your favorite background so far?
Ambitous Widow. It's really fun to play as a young, good widow but having most believe you had something to do with your husbands death, also how most people respond and give you their condolences.

I still like hearing about your favorite characters~
I admit I really have a hard time disliking anyone.
Well, I still really like Emmet like oh my gosh so adorable I want to know more about him does he even have an ounce of bad in his body?
Penelope is so cute and kind I just want to hug her and hang out with her all day. And her brother Lisle is always allowed to join! It feels like you can't separate them from each other, I kinda like that though.

Have you noticed the effects of the personality options yet?
If you mean if people around you notice and mention it from time to time then yes!
Meep.

ColaCat
Veteran

#81 Post by ColaCat »

Good to know!

Talking about the different countries, I noticed that for the political MC (I think it's Corval (?) ) you used the English flag (white with red cross) was this deliberate? Just saying in case you didn't know/it wasn't meant to be like that.

alylt
Regular

#82 Post by alylt »

Thanks again Lyyli and Colacat :)

As for Corval flag, it's supposed to be orange stripes, not red! I'll tint it to make it more obvious :) Thanks for the heads up!

ColaCat
Veteran

#83 Post by ColaCat »

No problem. I'd wondered why you'd used it. The fact that it was meant to be orange explains a lot. :)

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#84 Post by AntiquedFae »

Thanks for explaining so much! That definitely makes sense about the matchmaker. I really like the idea of having some sort of indication when you succeed. I'm glad you're adding that in! I haven't tried hosting any events yet (introvert, ahoy!) so I will have to give the history lecture a try!
I just wanted to let you know I found a glitch that I was wondering about my first two playthroughs, in case anyone hadn't pointed it out yet: in the Jiyel background when it asks if you do best preparing ahead of time or you work best last minute/high pressure and it affects your spontaneous---methodical personality bar, the selections work the opposite way that they should: selecting working best high stakes last minute increases your methodical, while selecting preparing ahead of time increases your spontaneity. I think this is backwards.

And I am so excited~ for the next update~ -dances badly-
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

alylt
Regular

#85 Post by alylt »

Ooo, good catch AntiquedFae. Fixed! Thanks a bunch!

Phoenix

#86 Post by Phoenix »

I really, really enjoyed this! I have to admit I wasn't sure if it'd be my sort of thing - I'm not always terribly fond of stat-raising games as I usually find stat-raising becomes tedious quite quickly, but not so here! I liked that stats were raised during social activities as well as whatever random activity you spent your free time doing.

What is your favorite background so far?
Ambitious Widow! This was the first background I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed scheming and manipulating my way through my first week (sadly, the Matchmaker wasn't as fond of my character as I was). I think I've played through all the available backgrounds except the Minor Lady with a Scholarly Bent - I did manage to unlock one of the 'hidden' backgrounds when I was creating my first character - Player of the Game or something, I think it was? There weren't any backgrounds I didn't enjoy, even the Princess one, which I was a little iffy about because, psh, who wants to be meek and proper. ;)

I still like hearing about your favorite characters~
Okay, well, Grand Duke Woodly was definitely one of my favourite characters - while I'm sure my characters won't be getting the upper hand on him any time soon, I was pleased that you have a couple of opportunities in the demo to show him you might be worthy of his notice after all (my ambitious widow was disappointed to learn that he was married, but then, there was that rumour about certain Grand Dukes and their views on faith and fidelity). Prince Jarrod was also an instant favourite, and I love how he tactfully broaches the whole 'dead husband' matter with the ambitious widow, haha.

I did also like characters who are actually ~nice~ - Prince Hamin and Prince Zarad were both fun (are they the only two who can save you when your horse bolts?), and Prince Lisle intrigues me (moreso after Grand Duke Woodly's cryptic comment), while Princess Penelope was very sweet. Even my less altruistic characters found themselves being (genuinely) pleasant to her. I also liked Princesses Ana and Jaslen (tbh I basically liked everyone).

As a side-note, I hope there will be plenty of chances to show up Lord Blain, not that he seems like he needs much help in the matter. :D

Have you noticed the effects of the personality options yet?
Yes, I was very impressed about the amount of reactivity for the background and personality! I'm excited about being able to follow up the various background-specific letters you receive.

ColaCat
Veteran

#87 Post by ColaCat »

One thing I was actually wondering about Prince Lisle was
whether or not he was gay, as none of the options I pick increase his love meter - and it would explain the cryptic comment.

kyrie

#88 Post by kyrie »

I don't know if anyone's reported this but I chose to join Ana's team for the race but I get the message that I won't be part of a team so I'll be attending as an observer.

Also I invited Ana to my musicale and scored highly she said 'If I must endure stone sitting and polite claps claps to see you smile, I will.' Need to get rid of the extra claps xD

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#89 Post by Ferdokki »

That's ok, alylt! I totally understand the commercial aspect of your development, and I totally support your reasons for choosing to develop this way.
Lol, I was mainly asking because this game just looked so IMMENSELY AWESOME, so it seemed shocking if you were to give it all away for free.
Maybe you could market this on Steam or Diaspora. Based on comments so far, it seems like people REALLY like this game, so I'm sure you could market this to lots of people via those platforms. =)

And wow, the thing about your demo is cool! =D Thanks for planning to provide a comprehensive-ish demo, that's super awesome of you! =D

alylt
Regular

#90 Post by alylt »

Hi Phoenix thanks so much for the feedback <3

Thanks for the report Kyrie! Should be fixed now :) (The claps claps is just how Ana talks though haha, she's both not a native speaker of the common tongue and beats to the path of her own drum.)

Hi Ferdorkki! People have already asked me to try and get it up on steam so it's easy for international players, and I'm definitely going to try once we are further along in development~ I've never looked into Diaspora before, so thanks for the tip.

Thanks again you guys, you are awesome!

I'm making good progress on the new demo update, so it should be ready soon!