Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#16 Post by underbliss »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
underbliss wrote:Alright! Species it is! Finally, an answer to something I've managed to stay vague on for wayyyyy too long!
Well, I'm only speaking from experience as a reader of myths and folktales, and of fantasy fiction. By all means, treat elves differently in your work if you want.
As an aside, I didn't even realize at first that I was calling him Lacey in this thread. He is NOT called that in the game, it's this ridiculous nickname I've been calling him since he was fictionally 'born' that has evidently become second nature to me. Errrr.. Well. It's out of the bag now! ;)
I was wondering about that. Maybe you could make the nickname an in-joke of some kind!
To the elf thing; Of course! I have no vested interest in it one way or the next. I am not naturally inclined to needing to define things like that, so as far as I'm concerned, my elves are a separate 'species' if it ever needs clarification~

Lacey; Yessss. Yep. Yep. Official. Early on, the pc will get the option to give Lacey his nickname, if she's foolish/reckless/inappropriately amused by hostility enough to poke the beast. Will be fun.

ColaCat
Veteran

#17 Post by ColaCat »

Ah! I can't wait to see that dialogue. XD

underbliss
Regular

#18 Post by underbliss »

Oh my gosh GUI nonsense is taking wayyy longer than I thought! When I first started this thread I thought I'd have more GUI pics up in a matter of hours, and I've been working on it, I've been working!

So you would THINK I'd have it all done but noooo :p

Settings Menu:

Choice menu.. does anyone think it's too difficult to read? The contrast and opacity increases on hover (top choice I caught part way through fading, I believe, my method of taking screenshots this time was a bit silly), but maybe not enough, I can tell it's definitely pushing it though.

The textbox as well!
and an epic boat :p

If anyone would like to share opinions on the GUI I'd adore it! Now's the optimal time after all :)

edit: Oh and full size pic of the menu, too, if anyone wanted to get a better look at it.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#19 Post by Mad Harlequin »

The menu font is a bit too gray, I think---as is the game text. I can read it, but I can see how other people might have trouble. I really love the purple backdrop, though!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ColaCat
Veteran

#20 Post by ColaCat »

I agree with Mad Harlequin. While the menu text is readable, the text dialogue is a bit too...dull.

underbliss
Regular

#21 Post by underbliss »

Okay! I'll mess around with the colors. All of the menu buttons light up considerably when hovered over, does that improve things at all?

The text font being dull, I'm not really sure how to tackle, I thought it sort of had to be! Hmm I shall go font hunting~

Thank you, you two!

edit; Aha unless you mean the color more than the font itself, in reference to the main text font, XD

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#22 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I was referring to the color, yes. The font you used might be a little fancy for my taste, but I can still read it.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

ColaCat
Veteran

#23 Post by ColaCat »

As was I. The font is quite nice, actually! It's just the greyness of it all.

underbliss
Regular

#24 Post by underbliss »

Ha, ok!

The dialogue box looking nicer?

I'm going to see if I can dress down the font in the 'menu choices,' compensate some for the fanciness maybe with.. .. I'm not sure yet but I'm gonna mess with it! It seems muter than I'd intended especially on backgrounds with actual color in them.

The settings menu I need to slice up some. The navigator bar at the bottom needs..something, and I'll amp up the brightness on the text while i'm in there!

Thank you again, you guys!

edit; Here is another color!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#25 Post by Rinima »

Gaaaah, I love this art <3 <3
But I did notice one thing, and it's a tiny nitpick:
most of the boys look really similar to me.

Is there a reason for this?
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

ColaCat
Veteran

#26 Post by ColaCat »

That is so much better! It looks great!

underbliss
Regular

#27 Post by underbliss »

Rinima wrote:Gaaaah, I love this art <3 <3
But I did notice one thing, and it's a tiny nitpick:
most of the boys look really similar to me.

Is there a reason for this?
Hi! Thank you, I'm glad you like the art!

Mm, sort of! I'm not sure if you mean their basic aesthetic, like skin tone, general dress style, their hair tone - all of that being similar is intended. Their race, in terms of pigments, is very limited, differences very subtle. Their culture is uniform even more so, it's considered socially..obnoxious to wear anything too bright/colorful.

That said, they should definitely have their own faces, facial features, builds - if those are too similar is definitely something I need to work on changing!

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#28 Post by Rinima »

I think it's more cause of the skin tones ect ect rather than builds. There different enough that I can tell who is who if I was to study it long enough :)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

underbliss
Regular

#29 Post by underbliss »

ColaCat - glad it was looking better!

Rinima - hehe, good!

Annnd a save menu!
Woosh tinkering with the GUI is .. more or less good to go, at least as far as the demo is concerned! Looks like I'll be able to make the end of the month ETA just fine, though if any of you guys are gonna play it, I expect it'll be pretty rough still. I will definitely be seeking heavy crits on it all around, especially the writing. First project, and I expect it'll be hacksawed and rebuilt a few times before it's finished finished.

ColaCat
Veteran

#30 Post by ColaCat »

Oh, I like the big preview on the save menu!

I'll be happy to test out anything that needs testing! :D