Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ColaCat
Veteran

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#121 Post by ColaCat »

Well fight or no fight, the game's gonna rock! I think that you have the advantage of not needing it. Whereas some games need that little "something", just to set them apart. You're right about the skip part. I suppose the only other thing I can think of is having it optional (turn on/turn off), but you maybe gain something (relationship points? *shrugs*) if you do them.

Still, like I said, don't stress about it - the game is amazing anyway! (Or at least so far it is >_< )
Just try out a beta with it (if you decide to make it), and get some opinions on how well it adds to the game. At the end of the day, you won't know if it works until you try. ^_^

By the way, I love your avatar. It really reminds me of my sister somehow. :3

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#122 Post by underbliss »

I think what I'll do is .. since I wanted the battles to still feel visual novel-y where you do more than just click a button and get fed a damage number, there's some sort of interaction going on in the scene, so the battles are more..scripted.. that that sort of scripted 'content' would be it's own reward if there is any to be had. Like, ideally, the battles are fun enough (again, for the types who enjoy them!) that it doesn't matter whether or not it's strictly necessary they'd just like to actually play through them~

Thank you so much for your votes of confidence! It means a lot and it's really encouraging! I'm really, really optimistic about this entire thing because I've been learning so much and meeting so many kind, creative people it's already been well worth the investment~

For instance, I can totally sort of draw backgrounds now and I wa salways soooo intimidated by them in the past! >:D

Oh, thank you! Haha, does it? Does she have red /pink hair? That picture is actually a mermaid, you know!

bloodband

#123 Post by bloodband »

Should be noted that I LOVE rpgs, of many different types(Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Dragon Age, etcetcetc)... so my opinion is very skewed haha.

I think it would be awesome personally, but it depends on how it's done. I enjoy turn based and all sorts of battle systems and also enjoy grinding and such! The biggest problem would probably be balancing it to where people wouldn't feel too punished but still giving a reason to grind for people that do want to... if you know what I mean. In Loren the Amazon Princess there became a point where the battles just got annoying and I felt punished for not having everyone leveled more equally, and picking characters I liked over a balanced party. I HAD to have Mesphit in the front row and attempt to use him as a tank in demon form(my back row was my archer and two mages). I don't like being punished for using characters I like, although I do admit the silliness of this.

*ahem* I rambled. Anyways!

If it's more like scripted choices like in Long Live The Queen, I wouldn't like that as much... Although I can understand how this is more accessible to people. So if that happened I could deal with it. I imagine a full battle system would be much more difficult. No matter what I'll enjoy the game anyways!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#124 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:I think what I'll do is .. since I wanted the battles to still feel visual novel-y where you do more than just click a button and get fed a damage number, there's some sort of interaction going on in the scene, so the battles are more..scripted.. that that sort of scripted 'content' would be it's own reward if there is any to be had. Like, ideally, the battles are fun enough (again, for the types who enjoy them!) that it doesn't matter whether or not it's strictly necessary they'd just like to actually play through them~
Since you're thinking of making them more scripted, maybe the battles could serve as an additional vehicle for character customization and interaction. Let's say you want to be a more aggressive fighter. It could score extra approval from a certain character, while more defensive tactics would impress someone else.

I don't know how feasible this is, but it's just an idea.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

underbliss
Regular

#125 Post by underbliss »

pshpsh I welcome and adore rambles~

I am sadly not super familiar with Long Live The Queen though I am trying to figure out how the battle system in that game work...
annnd ok just watched some youtube videos. If what I gleam is correct you dictate forces and such through the stat page and then the game tells you the results of battle and you choose a menu option like you would in dialogue or whatever?

But aside from that, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Dragon Age.. you listed games I loveeee <3 Mmm there's the new harvest moon game coming out in a couple days, isn't it? Story of seasons? Three days!

This is what I was thinking.. (I'm sorry, ahead of time, and again please take this with a grain of salt since IDK about any of this yet)

^ I was imagining 'scripted' more like that, where instead of it displaying only HIT! SUCCESS! -10HP! it had something vaguely more.. dynamic. Appropriate? Cause the thing is the game hasn't been set up unless I go even farther into RPG territory for grinding so battles weren't gonna be super common and could be more of a theatric event even so...
Or in that case, less appropriate >.>

Mad Harlequin - Yes that's a fine idea! The thing I need to be wary of though is that I don't put TOO much weight on anything in battles if it becomes an optional thing~

It's certainly a fun idea to play around with! I have this other project I'm not ~really~ working on, I only use it to tool around mostly so it ends up getting primarily used for testing, that has a very simple battle script going not totally unlike the above so I know it's easily within my means, it's all just plugging in variables like you do with regular menu choices in that way.
So it's just... Balance! Enjoyment! Purpose!

bloodband

#126 Post by bloodband »

Ah I think I misinterpreted what you meant by "scripted". When I think of that, I think of Long Live The Queen although that is really in the most brutal way possible and also I can't read lol. Basically less a battle system and more, you are placed in a situation and you need the correct stats to survive. Some are avoidable, and while I think you can beat them as long as you pass the certain stats they determine future events. Like you are attacked, if you don't have enough of "this" "that" or "stuff" stat then you completely fail and die. Oops I went on a tangent again.

Anyways, seeing your example I understand now ^^; It wouldn't be like LLTQ at all haha.

Yes, Story of Seasons! I feel like I'm dying from lack of HM games. It's been sooo long, so excited. D;

Oh goodness that example hahaha~
I really like the sound of that though! I feel like if it's going to be optional, or more scripted it should affect things even if you lose. Like choosing certain actions and performing them properly gave you... small boost to the secret stat points or as mentioned previously some approval with characters. That way even if you lose the battle, you don't get all the possible rewards from it but you'd still get *something*? I don't know if it's possible just kind of throwing random ideas out.
As long as winning battles wouldn't directly affect endings or anything I don't think there should be a problem...

The idea looks so cute though even if it ends up just being optional fun with no stat/story bonuses I'd enjoy them a lot.

ColaCat
Veteran

#127 Post by ColaCat »

I'll second that! That idea looks good. And since it's more like a choice type of fight I think replay-ability etc. will be better. Like bloodband said, maybe having the hidden stats changed depending on what you pick would be a good idea. For example, being really forward in your attacks (just charging in there with brute force) might earn you more respect from Lacey. Nothing big enough to completely skew the system (aka. you have to pick the right one otherwise you can't get him or whatever.) but just an added boost.
*shrugs*

I'm still too busy pining over Rune Factory 4 >_< I'm kinda glad I didn't spend a pretty penny on a 3ds last year though. I was going to buy it so I could get the game. Thankfully I've saved myself a lot of heartache!
Last edited by ColaCat on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#128 Post by Mad Harlequin »

underbliss wrote:
Mad Harlequin - Yes that's a fine idea! The thing I need to be wary of though is that I don't put TOO much weight on anything in battles if it becomes an optional thing~ !
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of there being too many points involved if the battles are optional. I imagined them as a way to get a few bonuses for your character.
ColaCat wrote:I'll second that! That idea looks good. And since it's more like a choice type of fight I think replay-ability etc. will be better. Like bloodband said, maybe having the hidden stats changed depending on what you pick would be a good idea. For example, being really forward in your attacks (just charging in there with brute force) might earn you more respect from Lacey. Nothing big enough to completely skew the system (aka. you have to pick the right on otherwise you can't get him or whatever.) but just an added boost.
This is essentially what I mean.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#129 Post by AntiquedFae »

Initially my reaction to the RPG battle system idea was a strong, "nononono" (after how many years of trying to play RPGs because I wanted to get the storyline, I now almost instantly go insane if I have to grind at all) but as I went through the responses and got more information on how you are intending to implement it...that actually sounds quite cool. I think the idea of using a battle system to bolster and possibly flaunt your character's skills a bit sounds ingenious. I think a battle system that focuses on using your stats is so fun and way more meaningful. Why have none of the games I've come across done this yet? Like you gave an example of, choosing to be manipulative, choosing to be patient and wait for an opening, choosing to be cautious and stop your health from going down or focusing on defense, or essentially being a bloodthirsty maniac, and that being specified in the choice menu. Like instead of options that have strange mythic names full of seemingly unrelated adjectives, the choices could be something like "Try to hide your presence in the brush and wait for an opening to inflict a fatal wound." or "Openly taunt the enemy to make them reckless." or "Step back and observe the enemy, building a mental profile of their strengths and weaknesses, then evaluate the best way to dispose of them." or just good old "Slice them nose to navel. Also skewer them on a stake if there is time to erect one."
...Yep, this looks to be way too much fun. If you aren't able to program in a battle system though I will be just as happy without one.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#130 Post by Mad Harlequin »

From what I recall of the demo, Queen at Arms is doing something similar, though the battle choices affect troop morale and respect more than anything related to the MC's strength, defense, speed, etc.
— Mark Twain

underbliss
Regular

#131 Post by underbliss »

bloodband - pff I'm super excited for story of seasons 8D I probably don't need the distraction right now but psh I can time manage! ~

Yesss I think if implementing it goes all smoothly and turns out how I want to, there will either be a setting in the options that lets you skip battles automatically , or, more likely, a setting in options that will ask if you want to be prompted and if you do then before each semi-battle sequence you will be asked if you want to skip it and if you do, you will be asked if you want your performance to be 'good average or bad', which will leave the nuanced 'bonuses' to those who actually play through them earning them more tailored outcomes, small bonuses, whatever is applicable~ as has been suggested~

Cat - Ugh :( Is it possible to buy a ds from the states and have it shipped to you? I mean, I've heard of people here doing that to get Japanese games that are region locked or whatever, but I have no idea how difficult or perilous or expensive that'd be :/ Are they making plans to release it ~eventually~ where you're at, at least?

AntiquedFae - Aw man, really? I'm surprised you haven't! It's all pretty classic RPG in my book... like, sometimes you pick who you want to fight and that determines, (obviously >.>), who lives or dies, or if you want to use some shady poison in a duel, which makes the battle easy but has this moral cost that bites you in the butt later, etc.
Either way though no matter how 'rpg'ish Ebon Light gets I intend to make sure that people who just want to enjoy the story, and are nothing but annoyed by battles, or any semblance of grinding, and button mashing random repetition in all its forms, are able to get by happily!
I'm glad for the most part it went from terrible to interesting sounding for you, though! XD

Mad Harlequin -- Ooo that's awesome!

Somewhat related (just cause that reminded me however inaccurately of mass effect's 'galactic readiness'), I've noticed the majority of both my tumblr followers and my favorite visual novel projects are Bioware fans <3 I get this urge to start chanting 'one of us' sometimes~

ColaCat
Veteran

#132 Post by ColaCat »

That sounds like a good idea! I think out of all the suggestions that is probably the most frustration free. I probably would even end up trying the battle if it was presented like "here, do this if you want to or not".

Well you can get a 3ds (they cost an arm and a leg though), but the game company went bust apparently. The people that tried to translate it after for people in the eu have only made it available for download (you still have to pay, obviously). While I don't object to downloading games, I kinda wanted a physical copy - instead of one that you're essentially renting (they have been very sneaky about the details). To be honest though I reckon it's all going to be a flash in the pan - 3ds will be replaced by something else soon. It's just annoying they make it so you can't play games in a normal on! :/

>_< I immediately got "We're all in this together" in my head.

underbliss
Regular

#133 Post by underbliss »

Cat - ohhhh I getcha. I used to feel that way too, but somewhere along the line I hopped ship and moved in complete reverse ( I think it may be mmo's that conditioned me, but I'm not sure...) and now I prefer digital games for some forsaken reason x.x

ALSO remember ages and ages ago when I was showing pictures of the MC and you said her arm looked too far out and I couldn't figure out what was wrong? Well, hah, I think I finally saw what you did x.x. I mean it'd only been like, two months, no big deal PFFT
I was thinking you thought her arm looked too thick - like, meaty - but it actually looked like it was floating out of the socket or that shoulder went out too far or something? Idk but I've been fixing that.. I gotta start making proper anatomy guides for this stuff from the get go I draw sooo backwards with anatomy fixing as one of the last parts of my process which is ridiculousssss

TLDR: Working on stuff! Some technical issues but it's all ok nothing pretty yet to show but it's getting there <3

Too Long Did Read:

ANYWAY its been awhile since I've updated! My tablet died.. two days ago, which is awfullll, but not that awful. I have.. had.. two, so I have another, I've moved over my art files and it's now less efficient but at least I can still draw so it's ok, just a small hiccup~
I have been rewriting the script, plugging in variables (ironed out what and how those variables were going to work), sorting out how to draw backgrounds stilllllll... got a character page functionally working. I was drawing the little buttons for it but those died. See, my second tablet is really mad I haven't been using it so it decided to crash and ridiculously erase all the buttons I was working on that one night. Tsk tsk so moody so much angst
If anyone is keen on seeing the actual variables I'm using (Ie: Nice/Wicked) I'll post 'em.

Sooo... as I think I've not posted them here...

Mietwen and Gawloyes sketches~
Gawloyes is the de facto king of Gha'alia. Being a society ruled by notions of power and military supremacy the leader of their military ('Forces') wields more sway than the actual king. He is Vadeyn, Ernol and Haron's grandfather -- but, you know, dude's like 300 years old he's got a lotta kids.
Mietwen is his wife, and though Gawloyes is intimidating and somewhat horrifying all on his own, she takes the cake. Gawloyes' attraction to her came after watching her assassinate for the first time, and though she has lost any official place in the Forces despite at one time holding great promise, like her husband, she is the 'de facto' ~queen of assassins~ in role rather than name.

They are super super fun characters~

I was working on finishing up clothes, and the love interests in general.. they're all coming along super agreeably (by this I mean the slightly concerning little inner dialouge I have with whatever character I'm drawing consisting mostly of threats to their fictional bodies if they don't 'let me' draw them properly), except.. Duli!
Such a butthead

I'm winning, though, I think, his face just isn't... quite right. I had this war with Lacey and I won and Lacey didn't START OUT with scars so this dude better listen quick.
If anyone has any ideas what's going on with his face (like anatomy errors) I'd be glad to hear it... I think it's the alignment of his eyes/mouth/nose or something.. hm.

SO enough ramble updating, will post better updates when I have better updates!
Hope whoever's reading this is well <3

ColaCat
Veteran

#134 Post by ColaCat »

^_^ Hopefully I'll switch too! There are such well reviewed games like that out there, it seems a shame to never be able to try them. :/

Oooh, yay! I wasn't just seeing things! I should probably become a better art critic, then you would be able to fix these things sooner! >_<
Good luck on the anatomy, by the way. Even if your...uh...technique in the anatomy process is different, it gets good results!

Shame about your tablet. And the lost art. >_< I think I would have really, really, had to let loose after something like that. XD

O_O So good!

As for what's wrong with it, *broken art critic glasses on*, I think it like the head is too big. Like, the body seems too far over to the left, and not the right size. The face matches up with itself, but not with the body, which is probably why the face looks like it's wrong. Also maybe the left eye is a bit big.
*takes off broken art critic glasses*

^_^ Probably best to get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to look at it though, unless you want to fix it in a month's time! XD

Also, I am well thank you! I hope whoever is reading this is well. ^_^

underbliss
Regular

#135 Post by underbliss »

:O I'll play with resizing the head, that might be it! I think I was messing with the size ofh is head for awhile too I wonder if I pushed it too far :O :O

Eee I was messing with the right eye when maybe it was the left all aloooong will mess with the things you've said and let you know if you fixed my issues >:D
Aha no I don't think it was your description I think it was a combination of my own sort of camouflages I created to trick myself.. the reason you're supposed to do anatomy at the core is so that everything else doesn't trickle down the mistakes you made from the beginning, cuz then you have to redraw clothes and etcetc and between the clothes and whatever was stuck in my head I just wasn't seeing it :|

I didn't lose too much, and that tablet was in a dire state and had been for quite awhile.. I think if it was perfectly 'healthy', up and died, and I lost anything significant, I'd of been very very upset (and I already was pretty upset), but I thankfully had a second cause if I didn't have a means to draw at all I'd be going a bit nuts I think...

Thanks for the help <3!