Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ColaCat
Veteran

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#151 Post by ColaCat »

*Decides to team up with AtiquedFae* Yeah!

Amberbaum
Regular

#152 Post by Amberbaum »

AntiquedFae wrote:I'm still here too, and you're not getting rid of me either! ;P It's just way too awesome of a game for you to be free of us.
Yup! *stops lurking around and comes out of her corner* I'm really glad that you decided to make Ebon Light. Playing your demo got me overwhelmed by a huge nostalgia flash, from my Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate days (I still play them). Which made me a little bit ecstatic. "Oh, this looks so good. That menu~.That realistic art-style~~~ And it gives of this mature vibe too. This will be really good. :D"

After playing Sword Daughter I know now that a lot of people limit themselves with the mindset to make typical otome/anime styled VNs. It's not a bad thing to do, I play a lot of anime styled otome games but there could a much bigger variety.

SpookyBjorn
Projects: Tales of Amaria
Tumblr: xspookybjorn
Deviantart: Spookybjorn

#153 Post by SpookyBjorn »

Fantastic art style, story sounds interesting and I love that you can customize your player!

GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

#154 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

* Heavily choice driven, many, many choices.
* Customizable protagonist. (Appearance, name, personality!)
I'm sold. Choices and character creation are my favorite aspects of games, and the fact that your art is gorgeous just sealed the deal. Can't wait to play it! :D

JinTonic
Regular

#155 Post by JinTonic »

Is there a demo of this beautiful game??
The art looks so realistic and the majority of characters look so pretty(except for the blond elf... I'm sorry for being so upfront but in my opinion he's not attractive)... I think your art style is one of the best I've seen on this website. I'm looking forward to seeing this project develop further. Gorgeous work! :shock: :D

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#156 Post by underbliss »

Ahh Cola and Antiqued <3 Why I would ever want to be free of you I don't know!

Amberbaum- ahhh I'm glad you enjoyed the demo and I have a good friend who's favorite game ever is Baldur's Gate, she made me play it when we were young and it's probably one of the first RPG's I ever played, and I'm quite tickled you got any sort of nostalgia vibes in that direction off my game!

Spooky- Thank you! I'm really glad I was able to get that in the game!

GreyLady- Hehe >:D Thank you! I can't wait till it's released!

JinTonic - There is a demo, yes! It was very rushed (I released it purely to keep to my word on timing, something I've since learned to shut my mouth about because especially with a first project NOTHING happens as fast as you think it will :| ) so I would recommend holding off on playing it for a little while longer. I'm currently rewriting a lot of the demo content and it looks like the 'proper' demo will be significantly different not just in it's polish but story content.
I'm glad you think (most) of them are attractive, and no reason to apologize at all! I welcome opinions and I'm neither surprised nor disappointed that some think Duliae is unattractive! I am tweaking his face a liiiitttle bit more but he looks mostly as I intended, so no worries at all! The link is here, if you still want to play the old one!

~~

To that end, I need some proof readers who are good at sniping typos and errors for the 'proper' demo which I want to release very soon, if anyone is willing please shoot me a pm, email at underbliss@gmail.com , or post! It's been quite awhile and people get busy so I'd like to make sure any offers I look to taking up are recent!

I attached a screenshot.. the quickmenu isn't gone it's only toggled now so you can hide or show it as you please depending on your preferences. I've also added grayed out menu options that will say something like (Insufficient Cunning) so you know a cunning option is *there*, you just don't have enough of that stat, but I'm not sure if that's more or less obnoxious than letting the special options pop up as happy surprises?
The 'special' unlocked options get a little image next to them so you know that they're unlocked because of your stats...

Like that and...

This!

Any thoughts?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 6.27.04 PM.png

bloodband

#157 Post by bloodband »

Ahhh! : D

I am basically reading inept so I'm definitely not helpful for that. ; ;

For the locked choices I really like it that way! I like that it doesn't show the dialogue so in possible future playthroughs it would be something completely new and would give you a way to plan for it at the same time. Personally I'd much prefer it the way you have it now, compared to the option of it just NOT being shown at all if you don't meet the requirements. It makes it feel less tedious I guess?

I'm very excited to see the updated demo!! *o*

ColaCat
Veteran

#158 Post by ColaCat »

Ooh! I agree, I really like the locked ones that way! It does make you feel like you know what you have to do to achieve something, rather than just shooting in the dark.

And is that a reference to Van Gogh, by any chance?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#159 Post by papillon »

There's a slight possibility of people being confused when they see that lock icon and thinking that the choice is STILL locked. The 'lock' symbol is more commonly used for lock than for unlock, and the fact that it's open is slightly hard to see at a glance.

Maybe if you rotate the lock image slightly? That could break some of the instinctive association and make it more likely that people will notice it's UNlocked.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#160 Post by AntiquedFae »

Ah, so excited for the fuller version of a demo! :D

I've done proofreading on a few games now, so if you need someone I would be overjoyed to help you with proofreading! I love proofreading so much, it's actually a little strange at times.

And I agree with papillon on the lock symbol for when something is unlocked; maybe a different symbol would be better, even something just like a small circular light beside the choice might be more clear. I love the idea though!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#161 Post by underbliss »

bloodband and Cat - Awesome! I'm glad it's coming off as promising over frustrating!
and Cat... whatever reference there might've been went over my head but I'm totally curious.

papillion - Oh man I was worried about that... thank you for the great idea I think that helped a lot...?

And here's the simpler 'light' kinda idea Antiqued suggested?
If I went with something like that I'd try to make it prettier just mockin' it up.

And Antiqued - I'd be super grateful and happy to have you proof!

Thanks for the feedback you guys!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#162 Post by AntiquedFae »

Fantastic! I can't wait to get started. c:

As for the unlocked option presentation...hmm, I love the way the lock looks so much, but I think it might still be confusing. Especially since when the option is locked, it doesn't have a lock beside it. But even then, I wonder if the difference would be too subtle for most people to notice. Though the words would appear, so maybe that would be enough to be clear? I think I'd need to see them side-by-side to decide.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

ColaCat
Veteran

#163 Post by ColaCat »

Hmm, I'm okay with the little lock (tilted is better than straight) so I'll stay out of that one...

Ah! In the intriguing screenshot the name Vanya Goffil reminded me a lot of Van Gogh. I didn't know if it was a subtle reference. ^_^

mysticichigo
Regular

#165 Post by mysticichigo »

Dark fantasy stories are my favorite, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.