Endless Halls [CANCELLED...but not dead.]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Wide Mouth Ink
Regular
Completed: None for now
Projects: Endless Halls
Tumblr: WideMouthInk
Deviantart: WideMouthInk

Endless Halls [CANCELLED...but not dead.]

#1 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

The Game/Visual Novel has been Cancelled
I regret to inform the people who have been attentive of this thread that there will be no game made for this project.
However, if you are still interested in the story and don't mind some comic quirks, then there's a good news for you!

I've been working on the project as a weekly comic.

Currently, the story is still in it's early stages, but future installments will be available on tumblr (and twitter I guess).
I do plan to open a personal site at some point to better archive my work, but these places will do for the time being.

I still want to work on a Ren'Py project at some point, but until I have an idea that isn't too overly ambitious, as was the case with this one, I'll be focusing solely on the comic.

Thank you all for dropping by and at least have taken an interest in my work.
And sorry to disappoint those who were eagerly expecting a full-fledged Visual Novel.
- - -
Introduction Text
"There's a place in the dark, where the sun never shines."

"Where the walls streth out, and lead to the unknown."

"A world where death. Is a welcome salvation."

"This is the place...That we call Home."
- - -
About the Novel
Endless Halls will be a series of stories about the life of a young woman named Mia in the abandoned maze like realm known as "The Halls". Our heroine has lived a life of scavenging for food and water, as well as anything else that will help make her time in the Halls slightly less miserable.

For a long time she has lived by herself. The only thing to keep her company was a picture she drew of her long lost mother.
But soon she meets someone whom she could call friend. A man named Lit, stuck inside a room. The two talk their days away, keeping each other company in this empty place.

However, one fateful day, a monster came and took Lit away. Abandoning her home, with only a small torch in hand, Mia seeks the whereabouts of this monster, in order to get some answers, and perhaps even, revenge.
- - -
Residents
(characters)
Mia
A resident who lives in the most desolate parts of the Halls.
She wanders around in search of a monster, trying to find any clues to it's location.
She's a bit awkward around others as she has little experience interacting with people.
Lit
A friendly resident who lives locked inside of a brightly lit room.
He's great to have conversations with, though doesn't seem
to know much of the goings on outside his shelter.
{ More to come in future updates }
Download Links
Current Novel Progress
---
Concept Art
---
Progress
- Prologue -
Script - 100%
Visual Assets - 30%
- Chapter 1 -
Script - 100%
Visual Assets - 0%
- Chapter 2 -
Script - 0%
Assets - 0%
- Future Chapters to be Noted -
-----
Previous Iterations
Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Windows Ver.
Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Mac Ver.
Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Linux Ver.
Last edited by Wide Mouth Ink on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.

ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

Re: Endless Halls [Choose Your Own Adventure, Cute, Horror]

#2 Post by ZennyZenZen »

I'm not sure, but I think you need to put the line call screen toy1_action02 inside your label toy1_phase2

Code: Select all

label toy1_phase2:

show mia fright dwn
    show toy prep behind mia at center
    with flashout

pause 0.5
call screen toy1_action02

screen toy1_action02:

textbutton "{size=40}RUN{/size}" action Jump("toy1_runfail") align(0.3, 0.5)
    textbutton "{size=40}HIT{/size}" action Jump("toy1_stun") align(0.7, 0.5)

timer 3.0 action Jump("toy1_phase3")

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#3 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

ZennyPai wrote:.
I'm not sure, but I think you need to put the line call screen toy1_action02 inside your label toy1_phase2

label toy1_phase2:

show mia fright dwn
    show toy prep behind mia at center
    with flashout

pause 0.5
call screen toy1_action02

screen toy1_action02:

textbutton "{size=40}RUN{/size}" action Jump("toy1_runfail") align(0.3, 0.5)
    textbutton "{size=40}HIT{/size}" action Jump("toy1_stun") align(0.7, 0.5)

timer 3.0 action Jump("toy1_phase3")
...Oh my god, how embarrassing. I just noticed I did that for the first screen but not the others.

That explains a lot.

Thanks for the help, Zenny.

EDIT: Yup, it's working as intended now.

I'll probably work on a few more of these and some more asset polishing before putting up another build to see if it's a mechanic worth pursuing for this project.

Again, thanks for the help.

ZennyZenZen
Regular

#4 Post by ZennyZenZen »

No problem bro. I like the game. I downloaded the alpha file you provided and played around with it to try to debug what's wrong, and it seems promisingly fun. I look forward to the game.

oh, and your art, simply amazing

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#5 Post by Godline »

And I'd fix the "appart".

Love the art style, keep working on the script though because if that's it, you've got a loooong way to go!

Good luck! :)

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#6 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Small update on the progress of the game.

I've been grinding away with the code of the game, figuring out Ren'Py's functions and the thing's I am able to do with the engine with my current knowledge of the language (which has vastly improved since I last updated.)

Unfortunately, most of the work has only been spent working on the script of the game so I haven't been able to make any visual assets to go with it.

I did decided to make some changes with some of the designs for certain characters.
I can at least show a sample of the protagonist of the story.

Her name's Mia...and that's pretty much all you get to know.

I can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can manage to work on a presentable demo in the coming month (of march).

Okay, so I ran into a small problem today when trying to write the actual story of the game and making a placeholder exploration menu.

It a simple set of choices that would disappear once a player chose them, and then send them back to the original menu, and give them the "item(s)" that they found once they had done so.
I already read a renpy document that explained how to do this by simply putting a 'if X = False' after the menu choice and then marking it as True. Made sense to me.

Though, for some strange reason, Ren'Py isn't recognizing that command. What's even stranger is that for that particular set of code, it seems to suddenly keep giving me a syntax error on the 'menu:' itself.

My question is simple...

The hell is Ren'Py's problem?

Am I not doing the trick correctly?

EDIT: Apparently, the problem lies with the "if X = False" itself.

OKay, so how am I supposed to make a menu item disappear without making long and unnecessary strings of "if X" and "else's"?

EDIT2: GOT IT!!

ZennyZenZen
Regular

#7 Post by ZennyZenZen »

Looking forward to it bro :)

Keep it up.

Pooki
Tumblr: linkedhorizon

#8 Post by Pooki »

The style is really unique! There are way too few horror VNs out there so I really want to see more of your project. It looks promising so far!

(The main theme is pretty good btw q_q)

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#9 Post by YossarianIII »

Agreed with Pooki and ZennyPai, the style is great and the main theme music is fantastic.

I will wait to try any demos until closer to completion, since I'm not so great at the nuts and bolts of Renpy myself, but I'm intrigued by the main post and will definitely be following this one.

Image Image

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

Re: Endless Halls [CYOA, Exploration, Cute, Horror]

#10 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

!!UPDATE!!

So, game is going to take longer than originally anticipated. However, I've been working on a smaller prototype which has the same mechanics and features I plan to implement into the full game.

Ignore the placeholder Ren'Py default font, as I am focusing more on the functions of the game rather than its presentation.

Luckily, most of that is over and done (thanks to the help of some fellow lemmasoft users and rigorous hours of trial and error). What's left is to make more visual assets and some scenes so I can set up a proper demo.

I'm hoping I'll be able to release it on the planned month of March, but it's possible I might have to move the release date to April, if anything happens. That is unless you guys don't mind an extremely small and simple mechanics based demo with barely any content. And considering what I have so far, that would make for a pretty boring game, even by demo standards.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#11 Post by minyan »

Oh wow, this sounds so cool. ._. Can't wait to see more! I love the art and the premise sounds fantastic. I can picture myself playing this many times and not just because I'll probably die five minutes in. Good luck with it!

I don't mind waiting until April if it means more content in the demo. :3
ImageImage

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#12 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

!!!UPDATE!!!
So, bad news, there won't be a demo in march. Good news, the possibility of an April demo/prototype build is looking more and more plausible.

Most of the main functions of the game are done. I just need to finish making a working inventory and make some more scenes and events to have a fully playable thing.

So, since we're at that point. I should share a bit more about the game, eh?

Story
"There's a world in the dark, where sunlight never falls."

"Where the horizon is fiction, and the walls ever rise."

"Where neighbors are brothers, or devils in disguise."

"This is the home, whom we call 'The Halls'."

--- --- ---
The Halls are an immeasurable maze made of hundreds upon thousands of hallways and doors. In these halls live 'residents' who
live out their lives in the comfort of small rooms.

Unfortunately, most residents are too busy searching for food to actually enjoy any such leisure.

Resources are scarce and residents are forced to leave the safety of their rooms in search of sustenance and other goods.
However, leaving their rooms means putting themselves in the hands of the creatures that lurk in the dark corners of the halls.
Of course, the creatures of the halls are the least of a residents worry...
as the real fear in their hearts, is coming back to find their home had been taken from them.

Characters
Mia
A young woman who had been scavenging the halls since an early age.

She's managed to survive the dangers in the halls for so long, but, eventually, she will fall victim to it as many residents have.

A meek creature who had barely any human interaction outside of her late mother. All she truly knows is how to find many uses to a single tool, that she likes buttons and fireflies, and that she prefers to keep her scavenge hunts short and not stay in the halls for long.

She abhors child-like things. Specifically, Dolls.

8oni
Regular
Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni

Re: Endless Halls [CYOA, Cute, Horror]

#13 Post by 8oni »

This is interesting. I like the art. And I love horror theme. I look forward to see the complete game :)

Thirteen
Regular
Completed: A Walk in the Woods
Projects: Unamed Game
Tumblr: houseflesh

#14 Post by Thirteen »

This looks really great. I'm super looking forward to the completed game!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#15 Post by AntiquedFae »

Been watching this since the first post but have somehow failed to comment at all on it. (ERGH! Must stop doing that!) It looks more and more darkly fascinating, and the world seems sort of...hypnotic. I'm so insanely excited for the demo now. I love the idea of the world and the gameplay it will entail. Seriously, so cool!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.