Endless Halls [CANCELLED...but not dead.]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Wide Mouth Ink
Regular
Completed: None for now
Projects: Endless Halls
Tumblr: WideMouthInk
Deviantart: WideMouthInk

Re: Endless Halls [CYOA, Cute, Horror]

#16 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

So, update.

Unfortunately, an April release for the demo is a no go.
However, since I expect to have a lot of free time after the end of this week, a demo might be available soon.
I also scrapped the prototype concept and went ahead to started working on the script and assets for the full game.
Have a preview image of the intro.
Until next update.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#17 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

*Bump*

Update with a new character and "Residents" teaser.

As for progress, the game Is currently an unfinished kinetic novel with place holder assets and effects. So still a ways to go before a presentable demo can be shown.

Although, since I'm here, I'm curious.

Can anyone that's following this project tell me any nuisances that are commonly found in horror VNs? So far the only one I've tried is "Y;N" and that "Gopher Day" one about the TV Clown that can be found in the Ren'Py Website.

Y;N had this QTE that you had to quickly click on the warping item to get away from the monsters before the short timer ran out.

The other game's main aspect was to try and solve this incredibly vague puzzle to actually get anywhere. (I refused to look for a walkthrough of it and just dropped it.)

Basically, I wanna know what other nuisances people have found in this format that they would rather not get to re-experience in another game. Point 'N Click games count too, since I think it's inevitable to incorporate elements of that in some segments of a VN that requires you to look for things and/or solve puzzles.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#18 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Sorry to double post, but it's the only way to make sure people see this project isn't dead.

Due to some family matters, production on the game had to be put on hold. The game is still coming along, albeit at a snails pace.
Unfortunately, it seems I'm going to have to make some cuts to the original ideas for the game if this project is ever going to see the light of day.

I'm not gonna say when there might be release, as it seems something always comes up to hinder progress. I will however try to keep this thread updated.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#19 Post by YossarianIII »

Wide Mouth Ink wrote:Sorry to double post, but it's the only way to make sure people see this project isn't dead.
I'm not a forum rules expert, but judging by the amount of other projects that do monthly or weekly updates, I think you're A-OK to double-post after a reasonable amount of time. Glad to hear this isn't dead! :)

Wide Mouth Ink wrote:Can anyone that's following this project tell me any nuisances that are commonly found in horror VNs? So far the only one I've tried is "Y;N" and that "Gopher Day" one about the TV Clown that can be found in the Ren'Py Website.

Y;N had this QTE that you had to quickly click on the warping item to get away from the monsters before the short timer ran out.

The other game's main aspect was to try and solve this incredibly vague puzzle to actually get anywhere. (I refused to look for a walkthrough of it and just dropped it.)
Vague puzzles can be turnoff for me, too. I don't mind games with complicated or difficult puzzles, but if the main premise isn't clear, it can be annoying.

I know QTEs are considered a scourge of modern game design, but I actually don't mind them. The Walking Dead is the best horror VN I've played, and it's full of them. The QTEs are never difficult -- just strategically placed to increase the player's heart rate. While not a VN, Resident Evil 4 also had some fairly unobtrusive QTEs in a horror setting.

IMO, the main bad uses of QTEs are when they're A) Excessive, B) Pointlessly placed, or C) difficult to do (particularly if they force you to re-play sections of the game). Other players might take a harder line against QTEs, though, so I'm not sure how typical my view is...

Image Image

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#20 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

I promised some semblance of an update.

So here's ...

A rat.

Don't ask why, just enjoy it.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#21 Post by minyan »

I quite enjoy the rat!

Sorry to hear about all the delays, but I'm glad you're not giving up completely! We'll wait for as long as you need obviously so take your time and just create whatever will be most comfortable for ya. ^^
ImageImage

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#22 Post by Parataxis »

Wow! The art for this is so cool! I love the way your color pallet and art style almost seem cut out of paper! It gives this a super cool look. I'm not generally a Horror fan, but I simply must keep and eye on this!

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#23 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Mia's room (may be subject to change), and placeholder torch light.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#24 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

So I feel like I owe some form of a big update after a long wait since this project started.
While the project itself is nowhere near completion. I should at least upload what has been worked on.

Current Novel Progress

I would like to hear the feedback, even for an early build so as to better improve the quality of the project.

Currently, the file is only available for Windows users. I'll see if I can update this post with a version for the other OSs at a later time.

Now, the game has little to no interactivity. And that is because I decided to take this into a more Kinetic Novel approach
and simply focus on the story and presentation of Endless Halls, rather than stress myself working on something
that requires at least a small team.

That said, since I have tried to make my original idea for the game a reality for the last few months prior to the project above, I feel like I should also show what HAD been worked on, before the new direction.

Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Windows Ver.
Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Mac Ver.
Endless Halls - Dungeon Point'n'Click Crawler - Linux Ver.

Despite the above not being what the final product will be like, I can safetly say it was a great learning experience for better understanding how to code a semi complex game.
Though, I will probably use a more simplified version of the above code on any future projects the could benefit from it.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

Re: Endless Halls [KN][Cute, Horror, Dark Fantasy]

#25 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

For anyone that's still interested in the game. I've been streamin work on the placeholder assets for the project to implement and at least have a base for the full story.

https://picarto.tv/widemouthstream

Be sure to check my DA and Tumblr pages to see when I am doing these streams.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#26 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

EH Alpha Prologue

Trying out a new method to see if it speeds up production...and it does!

There are now placeholder sketches in place of final, polished sprites and decor seen in previous builds.
But now the Prologue is complete, and available for viewing pleasure. In the form of a video.

This will be a nice taste for the overall tone for the rest of the story.
Still much more to go, but confident I'll be able to bring something great once it's done.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#27 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Edit the first page and added in some concept art. Expect the final sprites to have a similar change...though most likely not as well rendered.

I also added a Progress chart.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#28 Post by minyan »

I love that piece of concept art with the lighter. Glad to see you're still making progress!
ImageImage

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

#29 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

New and improved hallway background. The first one is during the nightly hours of the Halls and the second is the daily hours.

Also, here's a concept for how some of the creatures in the Halls might look like. As well as a higher class resident.
This is mostly just ideas running through my head, and has nothing to do with the story for Mia.

I would like to note that the synopsis for this story has already completed since December of last year. The script for the majority of it is still a work in progress, but it's being worked on, much like the new assets.

I'll try to keep this place up to date with any concept art or asset I feel I can show without spoiling too much.

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular

Re: Endless Halls [CANCELLED...but not dead.]

#30 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Well, it's been a good run...

EDIT:
And I completely forgot to note that you should read the first page for more information on the current plans for the project.

Just click here, or go directly to the first page.