Fate/Apophenia [Nasuverse Fangame][NVL][Fantasy][Action]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Konojolras
Regular
Projects: Fate/Apophenia
Deviantart: colombiantwat

Re: Fate/Apophenia [Nasuverse Fangame][NVL][Fantasy][Action]

#16 Post by Konojolras »

Little update with some art.
Here's the character design for one of our protagonists.
Magus Jane Baskerville
janedesign.jpg

Konojolras
Regular

#17 Post by Konojolras »

Updated with Saber's character sheet
SABERsheet.jpg

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#18 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

After reading the premise of the story I decided to sit for a while and think about it. It is an interesting proposal but I'm having trouble
fitting it into the canon of the series.
I'd like to point a couple aspects that caught my attention. Keep in mind that by no means I'm trying to bash your work. The following points are mostly based on my understanding of the series, and as such might be clouded by my judgement and reasoning.

1- Bringing Saber back on stage takes a lot of trouble: I think this is a given by now, but since saber has yet to fulfill her contract with the world, she is not an heroic spirit yet. However, she is not a counter guardian either. There is no grail to fight for, therefore she shouldn't be summoned on the story at work. This is somewhat workable around though since she ends with doubts about her own wishes at the end of UBW, so is not impossible to give her a reason to be called forward.
Another issue with saber is that her memory should be intact. Ten years passed since the last war, but the current events should be an instant follow up of UBW for her. This can be both good or bad on her character development when dealing with a different Gil to the one she met.

2- There is no reason to not bring Emiya: Archer is a Counter Guardian yes, but he also is on the Throne of Heroes. His status as a counter guardian only means that unlike most heroes in the ToH, he is an active part of the Counter Force. Counter guardians are mindless tools however, and I think they are only allowed to act at will under the Grail War system.

3- Bringing forth the actual heroes and not containers might not be possible:Only Alaya can fully summon an heroic spirit, and as far as I'm aware this comes in the form of Counter Guardians. Releasing several heroes from the ToH might create deeper implications. The worst I can think is tricking Gaia into thinking that there are many more counter guardians than it should. Considering the counter force works both ways, this can bring unfortunate events to say the least.
The Grail Wars manage to get away with this by using containers, but I can't think of a workaround to summon an actual hero with the sole exception of saber.

Edit: A possible work around this could be made depending on the nature of the leak. For what I'm understanding, the leak is a sort of out of control Reality Marble that is engulfing and/or dragging the people and environment inside. This itself sounds like a catastrophic premise, and this alone could trigger the call of counter guardians. However, the leak being locked with the grail war rules might distort this statement by forcing past summoned heroes into Counter Guardians. This can, in theory, bypass the mindless state of Counter Guardians, and justify their full presence in the event.

4- It would be unlikely for the Church to be without acting:Previous to Rin and Waver destroying the Holy Grail, the Church opposed the revival of the device. Knowing how the Church operates, it would not be unlikely for them to take immediate action into the plot at hand. This can happen with more reason seeing how the Association decides to take advantage of the situation rather than solving it.

5- Shirou can have a mayor role without stealing the spotlight: The proposed plot could be critical to Shirou should he appear in the story. He might have grown up in both character and power, but the matter at hand is huge. He might find himself overwhelmed by the events, and even end up locked on becoming Archer in the future if things goes bad for him. It would be a good chance to see him on a supporting role. An interesting thing about inserting Shirou in the plot, is whether he met Ciel or not by then. Since Archer supposedly gets his red overcoat from her, this could be a nice point should the church be given a role in the story.
Note: I cannot find a source for Ciel giving young Emiya his red coat. I casually learned about it through wiki and blogs but cannot tell whether it's true or not. It could either be word of god, very obscure material or not be true at all.

Guh, le wall text. I think that's all that comes to my mind right now. In any case, I suggest you revisit as much source material as possible and get as much feedback as you can find. Good luck.

Konojolras
Regular

#19 Post by Konojolras »

Kuroneko_rg wrote:After reading the premise of the story I decided to sit for a while and think about it. It is an interesting proposal but I'm having trouble
fitting it into the canon of the series.
I'd like to point a couple aspects that caught my attention. Keep in mind that by no means I'm trying to bash your work. The following points are mostly based on my understanding of the series, and as such might be clouded by my judgement and reasoning.
Hello there! I wanted to thank you for your insight, as it has helped us finish tweaking the main setting so that it fits into canon more nicely. If youre interested, here's the revised plot:
During the events of the Fifth Holy Grail War, Ilyasviel von Einzbern, as the embodiment of the Holy Grail, sacrificed herself to close the pathway opened by a corrupted grail. The Greater Grail was destroyed, bringing the ritual of Fuyuki to a conclusion. However, the Grail had been in place for far too long, it held far too much concentrated magical energy; the sudden dismantlement of such a structure, which after 200 years, had almost become a natural part in the mana flow within the region, was bound to fail. The ritual ended, yet the mangled structure slowly begun to regenerate.

After a couple decades had passed, the Magic Association began to become increasingly more desperate to reach Akasha. They turned their eyes to the previous ritual held in Fuyuki - and sought to recreate it. The Magic Association took their own path, straying from the knowledge of the three founding families. With the complete eradication of the Makiri/Matou line after Fifth War and the Tohsaka family head, Rin, refusing to help in any way with the recreation of the ritual, the Magic Association followed their own crooked path. The Association’s mixture of stubbornness and desperation led them to take a dangerous shortcut in their new establishment. Due to lack of planification and information, the site where the mangled grail stood was revisited and used as the centre for the newly established ritual. This reestablished Greater Grail was a source of great instability - forcing it to work like a properly built structure ignited the unstable magical energy engulfing it, resulted in the opening of a leak into Akasha.

The leak led to the creation of a spiritual reality - a massive reality marble - a realm of spirits and magic with no physical manifestation, close to The Root.
This realm, much like Akasha, is a place based on energy and magic, holding no connection to Gaia whatsoever. It is a place brimming with an aura of unfulfilled wishes, hatred and despair. Being influenced by the guidelines of the Grail War, the leak into Akasha serves as a way of summoning Heroic Spirits recorded within the Throne of Heroes. Due not being connected to the world in any direct way, true heroic spirits are summoned rather than emanations, as there is no need to worry for inconsistencies within the world in a spiritual realm. Similarly, the souls of magi are forcibly summoned into this realm to take part as "masters".

-Except there is no Holy Grail to fight for.

There is no point to the summoning. Any human with at least one working magic circuit is eligible for being summoned into this realm. Their soul will escape their body, leaving it in a coma like state. This results in many inexperienced and confused magi trapped in the place. A magus with enough magic circuits and great skill should be good enough to handle themselves and even be able to communicate with the outside world - but those with poor circuits are bound to get their minds twisted by the place, going so far into believing there actually is an omnipotent wishing granting device to fight for.

While Heroic Spirits have no reason to fight each other, magi who find themselves in the realm need to fight for the existence of their soul. Upon the magic association noticing the great swirl of mana at the moment of the summoning of a master, they were able to investigate the potential of the leak in terms of reaching Akasha, and would continue to seek the exploitation of the system.

If a soul - let it be heroic spirit or magus - is to perish within the realm, it will be collected by the faulty grail. The more souls the grail collects, the more power it gains to open a proper route into Akasha. Even if one does not wish to reach Akasha - they will still have to fight in order to survive against the vile attacks of the members of the Magic Association. Besides, if one wishes to escape the realm and return to Gaia, they will have to see the war through to the end.

Our main changes rely on that we changed this from being the UBW aftermath to it being the HF aftermath. Rather than ocurring due to the dismantlement of the grail, the instability is created because of the magic association using a destroyed, faulty grail as a base for their own.

It is easier to bring Saber back this way as she did not find redemption from her self-destructive ideal in this route. Saber will continue to seek the grail and will be able to be summoned - as well as allowing her to have more character development in our story.

We've worked out a way of allowing the actual heroes to be summoned. We've separated the reality marble from Gaia entirely. It will be a spiritual reality placed close to Akasha. Being made out of the same nature as the Throne of Heroes is (A place built upon spirits and magic) this allows us to summon true heroic spirits without any interference with The World.

We will definitely need to ellaborate on the Church's role here. Most of the story will be taking place within the Reality Marble itself, but we will show an active role by the Church in the real world.

Thanks for reading, any more comments will be appreciated!

Konojolras
Regular

#20 Post by Konojolras »

smallergiru.jpg
Here's the character sheet for Gilgamesh.

Konojolras
Regular

#21 Post by Konojolras »

Designs for one of our Casters
Lovely lady
el_cid_and_scheherazade_by_tangwi-d8kxfgo.png
new_schedazknjfskdj_by_tangwi-d8kxnvz.png

Konojolras
Regular

#22 Post by Konojolras »

Update on the GUI and new writing/art samples
mainmenusample.jpg
loadsample.jpg
configsample.jpg
nvlsample.jpg
pausemenusample.jpg

Konojolras
Regular

#23 Post by Konojolras »

Overdue update just to point out this game is still in development, we have written and finished the script for the Prologue which we hope to release as a demo soon.
Have some art for now
cg7.jpg
cg8.jpg
mainladies.jpg
gillll.jpg
together_by_colombiantwat-d8vwbr5.jpg
Our team has grown from two active members into five in the past months so that's nice, but more help is definitely needed, especially in the art and programming section. Well, hope you guys enjoy this little update.

Konojolras
Regular

#24 Post by Konojolras »

Finished sprites for the three main protagonists and evolution of the sprites in the past months
threeprotags.jpg
gilimprovement.jpg
saberimprovement.jpg
janeimprovement.jpg