Naomi [#JamForLeelah2015][Kinetic][Trans Protag]V1.1 Online!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Bto3
Regular
Completed: Naomi, VC: Simple Answers, Out of Sync
Projects: Vibrant Color, Out of Sync
Organization: Paper Star Studios
IRC Nick: B3_/Bto3
Tumblr: paperstarstudios
itch: Bto3

Re: Naomi [#JamForLeelah2015][Kinetic][Transgender Protag]

#16 Post by Bto3 »

daikiraikimi wrote:
Bto3 wrote:I'm not sure how educational NAOMI will be since I took this more from an emotional standpoint than an educational one, but emotion based stories have their own benefits too, don't they? :D
Aaand suddenly I have the urge to make a "So You Want To Be An Ally" game...
I'm not quite sure how to take that?

I mean yeah, that kind of game could be fun and largely beneficial...

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#17 Post by noeinan »

Bto3 wrote:I'm not quite sure how to take that?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, you just brought up that this wasn't an educational game and I thought "Oh, you *could* make an educational game. That's a good idea."

Bto3
Regular

#18 Post by Bto3 »

daikiraikimi wrote:
Bto3 wrote:I'm not quite sure how to take that?

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, you just brought up that this wasn't an educational game and I thought "Oh, you *could* make an educational game. That's a good idea."
Oh! Alrighty! I'm not the greatest at understanding intent through text, I'll admit! Most certainly, it would be a good idea!

And now, an update!

Code: Select all

Ren'Py 6.18.3.761 lint report, generated at: Mon Feb 16 00:37:16 2015

Statistics:

The game contains 204 dialogue blocks, containing 2,938 words and 15,874
characters, for an average of 14.4 words and 78 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 40 images, and 15 screens.
I'm uploading tonight! I have plans to add in a couple of cgs, find a bathroom background, and perhaps reformat the sprites a bit in the future, but for version 1.0, it's done! It's done, done, done!

Bto3
Regular

Re: Naomi [#JamForLeelah2015][Kinetic][Trans Protag]V1.1 Onl

#19 Post by Bto3 »

It's online! Edited the original post with a download link, but it's also available here!

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Applegate »

I think that was a strong piece of writing. The attention to detail in changing up the clothes was good, which is why I'd say I'm a bit bummed the hoodie sprite was used when pajamas were worn, but that's really not a big thing.

I actually know someone who's super anxious, so that was a nice touch.

EDIT: Also, Haiden's initial reaction to Naomi's confession is pretty much a carbon copy of my own reaction. I liked that, but it probably makes me a terrible person.

Bto3
Regular

#21 Post by Bto3 »

Applegate wrote:I think that was a strong piece of writing. The attention to detail in changing up the clothes was good, which is why I'd say I'm a bit bummed the hoodie sprite was used when pajamas were worn, but that's really not a big thing.

I actually know someone who's super anxious, so that was a nice touch.

EDIT: Also, Haiden's initial reaction to Naomi's confession is pretty much a carbon copy of my own reaction. I liked that, but it probably makes me a terrible person.
Thank you very much! :D I'm glad to hear it!

My budget for this was $0 and I ended up going pretty well over that for the sprites, haha. That, plus the time-crunch, I didn't want to get more than I had to have. However, I do have plans to update the game at a later date, and I'll be sure to let Tomo know I need a pajama sprite for Naomi!

I know several people with severe anxiety myself, and while none of them throw up from it (usually), anxiety always goes straight to my stomach! I try to write anxiety in different ways for different characters since it hits everyone in different ways, though I think Naomi is my first character to have QUITE that severe of a reaction.

Honestly, I think most people ask incredibly inappropriate questions when they're incredibly unfamiliar with the concept of being trans. So with Haiden, I wanted to portray him being ABSOLUTELY clueless, but quite willing to learn. He genuinely didn't know better, but he didn't get defensive about it and he listened to what Naomi had to say. IMO, realizing/accepting that an inappropriate question was asked and learning from it matters a lot.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Applegate »

Yeah, inappropriate questions galore when faced with a new situation. The exchange went something like,

"I have to tell you something. I'm... actually a girl."
"You're a girl."
"Yes."
"... With a dick."
"... Yes."
"... But no va─"
"YES."

I liked the touch of Naomi being afraid of watching her own body when she's undressing. The friend from the above exchange explained that "mirrors are the enemy", and they deeply hated being confronted with the way they look. It definitely made me think, "Hey, this is pretty well-written". The fear of coming out to parents is also something I can... quite understand. My friend was deathly afraid to tell their parents, but thankfully we live in a community that's pretty cool about things and the entire situation was rebutted with a mother's simple, "I already suspected it, but wanted to wait for you to tell us about it."

So yeah, though it was short, I think it was well-written and I quite look forward to more. I'd say instead of updating this project, you should start a new one, because dwelling on what you already made gets in the way of what you can still make.

I also think you should make a thread in the completed games section to get more exposure. :-)

Bto3
Regular

#23 Post by Bto3 »

Applegate wrote: I liked the touch of Naomi being afraid of watching her own body when she's undressing. The friend from the above exchange explained that "mirrors are the enemy", and they deeply hated being confronted with the way they look. It definitely made me think, "Hey, this is pretty well-written". The fear of coming out to parents is also something I can... quite understand. My friend was deathly afraid to tell their parents, but thankfully we live in a community that's pretty cool about things and the entire situation was rebutted with a mother's simple, "I already suspected it, but wanted to wait for you to tell us about it."

So yeah, though it was short, I think it was well-written and I quite look forward to more. I'd say instead of updating this project, you should start a new one, because dwelling on what you already made gets in the way of what you can still make.

I also think you should make a thread in the completed games section to get more exposure. :-)
Due to her body dysphoria, I've gone back and forth about whether or not I want to leave the bathroom scenes as being black screens. We'll see though.

I'm really happy to hear that it went well for your friend! I hear so many bad stories, it gives me a little hope to hear about the good ones.

Thank you very much! Any updates I have planned are very minor, and updating a couple of sprites that I can recycle later won't do any harm. Besides that, there's two CGs I want and that's it. I know myself well enough to not mess with it any further than that, haha. I do have an idea for NaNoRenO involving Haiden though~

I think I'll go do that! Thank you so much for the feedback!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#24 Post by Morhighan »

Bto3 wrote: Due to her body dysphoria, I've gone back and forth about whether or not I want to leave the bathroom scenes as being black screens. We'll see though.
I think this could make for an intimate experience with the character's inner monologue and, if executed correctly, could really give an accurate feeling of wanting to avoid looking at oneself.

I just wanted to pop in and say...yay Kinetic, Yay #JamforLeelah, Yay Trans Protag! You have me sold.
Not to mention the cute designs and art!

Right now I'm dealing with a trans side-character in my game. It's set in Japan so I have to do extra research into how it's dealt with over there. I'm also going back and forth with it just because it's set in the future, so I'd hope the issues would be solved by then. So, know that feel on the research bit.

Best of luck!