Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy] Beta update 4/27, ch 4 coming soon!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Oktolio
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked
Projects: Paint My World Anew, LoveLime!
Organization: https://gourmetvisual.itch.io/
Deviantart: Oktolio

Re: Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy]

#91 Post by Oktolio »

First off - I really fancy the idea for story. Harlequins and whatnot...nice! But, those Rings...seem really painful. Poor Lilie, hopefully the needle-like power-up doesn't hurt. I liked that I could choose my name AND a nickname. I would add some "custom" options, though. (Also I've found in one place the name isn't the player's, but the canon one. You'd want to check the script :)

2. I'd want them to have banter similiar to Dragon Age. Depending on friendship/romance points new topics would unlock, or by doing certain quests/progressing in main storyline.
3.Aldrich :D He seems like a lovable dork with an unexpected serious side. At first he hit me off as a tiny bit annoying, though. Ooh, and I like his flirty comments. So cute. Based on snippets of the characters bio, aside from Aldrich I like concept of Leslie and Lucy (aren't these female names? :D).
4. Please increase saving slots. As a person who saves A LOT, only 3 pages is a crime :D Also the positioning of sprites. If Lilie and Aldrich are talking to each other, why aren't they positioned face to face, but back to back? It disintegrates "the flow" imo. And another aspect that was bugging me: why are there normal sprites and little heads that move their mouths (and maybe eyes but I seem to have forgotten)? Why not implement the animation to normal sprites? Otherwise it's too much going on screen.
5. The GUI was fine and suited the game. The only thing I'd ask for is making the icons bigger and maybe different colour (I mean the little files, cog and the arrow :) At first I couldn't tell them apart, or maybe I'm blind haha)
6. It was too short to tell. But I sort of enjoed the part where Aldrich insisted on a nickname for Lilie. Too bad she refused to give him one ;)
7. Make them do silly impromptu stuff that Lilie would normally refuse to do but for some reason she can't and must follow Aldrich's antics. Playing truth or dare is good too. Or playing pranks on other Ringmasters!
8. It was fairly decent. Nothing too fancy. I'd recommend working on vocabulary, so you have a wider range of words you can describe the situation; sometimes it begged to be expanded, but poof! Here we go to another scene.
9. I got the two CGs! I think. The one with Natalia and Siegfried and Lilie activating her power, right?
10. Whoops I didn't notice whether I did or not ;o; But I think I did.
11. I loved the theme song! Very pleasant to listen to.
12. I don't know why you're ashamed of your BG personally I found them cute and matching to the story. I've read the sprites are being re-designed, no? Don't change too much Aldrich's sprite - for me his character is already well-captured! Oh and the battles - though I would've lost if not for the special attack ahaha - really great, can't wait for more options to crush my enemies :D

All in all, keep up the good work! It's very ambitious and great project! :)
In Progress: Paint My World Anew, Breadbox
Finished: Heartbaked

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#92 Post by minyan »

Oktolio wrote:First off - I really fancy the idea for story. Harlequins and whatnot...nice! But, those Rings...seem really painful. Poor Lilie, hopefully the needle-like power-up doesn't hurt. I liked that I could choose my name AND a nickname. I would add some "custom" options, though. (Also I've found in one place the name isn't the player's, but the canon one. You'd want to check the script :)

2. I'd want them to have banter similiar to Dragon Age. Depending on friendship/romance points new topics would unlock, or by doing certain quests/progressing in main storyline.
3.Aldrich :D He seems like a lovable dork with an unexpected serious side. At first he hit me off as a tiny bit annoying, though. Ooh, and I like his flirty comments. So cute. Based on snippets of the characters bio, aside from Aldrich I like concept of Leslie and Lucy (aren't these female names? :D).
4. Please increase saving slots. As a person who saves A LOT, only 3 pages is a crime :D Also the positioning of sprites. If Lilie and Aldrich are talking to each other, why aren't they positioned face to face, but back to back? It disintegrates "the flow" imo. And another aspect that was bugging me: why are there normal sprites and little heads that move their mouths (and maybe eyes but I seem to have forgotten)? Why not implement the animation to normal sprites? Otherwise it's too much going on screen.
5. The GUI was fine and suited the game. The only thing I'd ask for is making the icons bigger and maybe different colour (I mean the little files, cog and the arrow :) At first I couldn't tell them apart, or maybe I'm blind haha)
6. It was too short to tell. But I sort of enjoed the part where Aldrich insisted on a nickname for Lilie. Too bad she refused to give him one ;)
7. Make them do silly impromptu stuff that Lilie would normally refuse to do but for some reason she can't and must follow Aldrich's antics. Playing truth or dare is good too. Or playing pranks on other Ringmasters!
8. It was fairly decent. Nothing too fancy. I'd recommend working on vocabulary, so you have a wider range of words you can describe the situation; sometimes it begged to be expanded, but poof! Here we go to another scene.
9. I got the two CGs! I think. The one with Natalia and Siegfried and Lilie activating her power, right?
10. Whoops I didn't notice whether I did or not ;o; But I think I did.
11. I loved the theme song! Very pleasant to listen to.
12. I don't know why you're ashamed of your BG personally I found them cute and matching to the story. I've read the sprites are being re-designed, no? Don't change too much Aldrich's sprite - for me his character is already well-captured! Oh and the battles - though I would've lost if not for the special attack ahaha - really great, can't wait for more options to crush my enemies :D

All in all, keep up the good work! It's very ambitious and great project! :)
Dragon Age banter would definitely be a fun addition. Someone else mentioned the back to back thing, and I hadn't even thought about it at the time I was doing it. It's an easy change and since you're not the first person to say that I think I will change it. All in all thank you for all the feedback! You made some excellent points and I'll definitely be implementing a lot of them.

Aldrich's redesign was already finished, so no worries there xD

And question- what do you mean by 'custom' options for the name?
ImageImage

Oktolio
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked
Projects: Paint My World Anew, LoveLime!
Organization: https://gourmetvisual.itch.io/
Deviantart: Oktolio

#93 Post by Oktolio »

By custom nicknames I meant the one you as an author give us, the players, to choose from. I think it would say a lot about Lilie like whether she's humourous, serious etc. :) (and Aldrich would comment on that and others or something!)
In Progress: Paint My World Anew, Breadbox
Finished: Heartbaked

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#94 Post by minyan »

Oktolio wrote:By custom nicknames I meant the one you as an author give us, the players, to choose from. I think it would say a lot about Lilie like whether she's humourous, serious etc. :) (and Aldrich would comment on that and others or something!)
Ahh I see! That would be interesting. Thanks for the ideas! :)
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#95 Post by minyan »

Hey guys!

My wonderful team:
Writers: Minyan, Averxy, Windchimes
Editors: Valtiene,
Proofreader: Valtiene
Programmer: Minyan, namastaii
Tester: Oktolio

Thank you for everyone who offered their help!

So things are going great, we have the entire story outlined and in the process of being written. The new sprites are almost done, as you can see from the first post. There are now 7 available endings, and 6 chapters. The battle system has been completely redone, so look forward to the demo coming out soon!

We also have a wip tumblr: http://arenacircusdev.tumblr.com if you'd like to check it out!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#96 Post by minyan »

The demo will be up soon! Here are some screenshots:
battlescreenshot.png
freeroamscreenshot.png
bagscreenshot.png
There's a new battle system, a new free roam system, more conversations, and just tons to look forward to so keep an eye on the thread!
ImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#97 Post by Harliqueen »

Omg, this looks amazing! Things are really coming on a pace now.

Can't wait to try the new demo :D I loved it all before, but think I will be stalking this thread even more afterwards!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#98 Post by minyan »

Harliqueen wrote:Omg, this looks amazing! Things are really coming on a pace now.

Can't wait to try the new demo :D I loved it all before, but think I will be stalking this thread even more afterwards!
Thanks!! I hope you love the new one even more :D
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#99 Post by minyan »

We've found a great composer, EQ!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#100 Post by minyan »

We found a new editor, Seigetsu!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#101 Post by minyan »

New start screen:
Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 5.52.30 AM.png
So pumped you guys. The scenes are coming along great, day 3 is aaaaalmost done. As for the assets, just two more backgrounds, one more CG, and a few more clothing items. Then chapter one is compleeeete!

And I can give you guys the demo you deserved in the first place. <3

Hoping to finish it before NaNoRenO because I have a different project going for that, but... we'll see xD

Also I just noticed this is the 100th reply! yay!
ImageImage

Demetis
Regular

#102 Post by Demetis »

Aaaah things seem to be moving along really fast and smoothly! >w< Dropping by to say I'm excited for the new demo as well!
Plus, all the new assets look awesome!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#103 Post by minyan »

Demetis wrote:Aaaah things seem to be moving along really fast and smoothly! >w< Dropping by to say I'm excited for the new demo as well!
Plus, all the new assets look awesome!
Thanks! I am so much happier with them, though I think I've redone the start screen like ten times since that last post xD
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#104 Post by minyan »

DEMO COMING SOOON~~~<33

It's being tested even as we speak! ...I speak! Type. Actually by the time someone reads this maybe not. Uh...

But point is, get pumped! I want to show you all the new cgs so bad but I will be patient. ; ;
ImageImage

Harmonywish
Regular

#105 Post by Harmonywish »

Wow! How pretty! *w* Loving everything! I want to see the scenes so bad~