Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy] Beta update 4/27, ch 4 coming soon!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy] DEMO AVAILABLE

#61 Post by minyan »

aimanin wrote:Encountered something quite confusing-
Is it impossible for the game to register the win against Lucy? I'm pretty sure I did win (and the words YOU WON! appeared) but the ensuing conversation seems to assume that Aldrich/Lilie lost. I'm playing from Lilie's POV- if it matters

Ah yes, that battle /should/ be impossible to win, sorry about that xD I'll make sure to fix that up. The first and the last battles are fixed that way, the first one to be won and the last one to be lost. The middle is the only one right now that could go either way, and even then it doesn't affect the plot too much. That'll be implemented more in the second chapter!
ImageImage

Demetis
Regular

#62 Post by Demetis »

Uuuuuhm O.O
Edit: Okay I thought I spotted a problem but that was just me being not awake XD

Other than that....I am TOTALLY shipping Aldrich/Leslie right now I am not even sorry waaaah X'D Demo going good so far ovob -still needs to finish-

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#63 Post by minyan »

Demetis wrote:Uuuuuhm O.O
Edit: Okay I thought I spotted a problem but that was just me being not awake XD

Other than that....I am TOTALLY shipping Aldrich/Leslie right now I am not even sorry waaaah X'D Demo going good so far ovob -still needs to finish-
xDD Alright then!

Haha yeeeaaa I ship them too... I can't wait to do Aldrich's part so I can write more of him vwv
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#64 Post by minyan »

Hello everybody! A great big humongous thank you to everyone who played the demo and gave me feedback. Now that the stressful task of graduating is over with (I've earned my alumni mug!) I have a whole summer to concentrate on projects before I'm off to Japan to start working! I will be implementing the fixes into the demo hopefully very soon, and will release a debugged version before I start working on the extra features.

You guys have been amazing and you're really helping me to make this the best it can be!

So what's next:

-debugged demo
-more side quests
-more world interaction
-item shop sprite
-more character interaction
-more codex entries
-more CG's!
-a brief affection point tutorial

Aaaand once I get all that done for Lilie, I will begin work on Aldrich's part of the story!

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress and I hope you look forward to the things to come. Thanks again!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy] (short hiatus)

#65 Post by minyan »

Hey guys! So I found out that with the job I'm starting in August, it's technically illegal for me to do commission work. And I have a ton of commissions still not finished, and since Arena Circus is a free project and I can still do that while I do the job, I'm putting it on hold until then to finish up my commission work.

I have added lots of extra scenes and dialogue, and I look forwarding to finalizing things and uploading the next demo. Thanks!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Arena Circus [GxB][BxB][GxG][Fantasy]

#66 Post by minyan »

Okay! Commissions are kind of under control. Only a few left. I've started working on the script again, and the finalized version of Lilie's path is nearly done. I'll be posting it up soon.
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by minyan »

I've decided, for multiple reasons, that I'll be taking the battles out of arena circus and making it like a more traditional visual novel.

A few of these are:
one, just to make things easier on me in coding. I love this project but calculating everything is really slowing me down.
two, I'm not a programmer, so the system is really buggy, and far more simplistic than I would like. I'd rather wait until I have a better handle on this kind of thing before trying to implement it.

Anyway, sorry to disappoint! This will be changed in the next update, which will be the completed version of Lilie's POV.
ImageImage

Demetis
Regular

#68 Post by Demetis »

Ooow I am a bit sad to hear that but you decide on what's best for your game >w<b I will still play it nonetheless since the story's pretty cool ovo

I am kinda curious about what will happen to the whole map, items and quest system though?

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#69 Post by Harliqueen »

minyan wrote:I've decided, for multiple reasons, that I'll be taking the battles out of arena circus and making it like a more traditional visual novel.

A few of these are:
one, just to make things easier on me in coding. I love this project but calculating everything is really slowing me down.
two, I'm not a programmer, so the system is really buggy, and far more simplistic than I would like. I'd rather wait until I have a better handle on this kind of thing before trying to implement it.

Anyway, sorry to disappoint! This will be changed in the next update, which will be the completed version of Lilie's POV.
Sometimes you have to do things like that, but I'd rather you take out something if it means you get to finish the story, as the characters and story are what got me hooked in the first place! :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by minyan »

Demetis wrote:Ooow I am a bit sad to hear that but you decide on what's best for your game >w<b I will still play it nonetheless since the story's pretty cool ovo

I am kinda curious about what will happen to the whole map, items and quest system though?
That will stay the same! I can program that really easily and I enjoy it having that sort of adventure-y feel to it. ^^
Harliqueen wrote:
minyan wrote:I've decided, for multiple reasons, that I'll be taking the battles out of arena circus and making it like a more traditional visual novel.

A few of these are:

Sometimes you have to do things like that, but I'd rather you take out something if it means you get to finish the story, as the characters and story are what got me hooked in the first place! :D
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that :D
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#71 Post by minyan »

Update:

I've been working on changing up the battle system to a more traditional visual novel style format. I'm about halfway finished, but the battle's are now going to have a lot more CG's, so I'll be getting started on those.

As for the story, it's pretty complete, right now I just want to add in more conversation opportunities with characters to get to know them better, and finish the CG's for the events I've written in.

With work going on now, I'm going to aim for Lilie's complete first chapter to be done by January. My hope is that the first chapter will have enough content to be a mini VN all in itself! I'm thinking it'll be about two hours in terms of completion, depending on how much extra stuff you do outside of the main story. I am going to need to redo a lot of the GUI because of the new changes, but I'm going to save that for when the rest of it is complete.

I'm also thinking about re-doing quite a lot of the art, but that's not until much later.

After lilie's side of this first chapter is finished I'll be taking a break on this project to work on another VN, which won't have chapters and be much shorter in the long run than Arena Circus. I hope you guys will take a look at that too! Then I'll come back and do Aldrich's, and that's also probably when I'll work on re-doing the assets.
ImageImage

Demetis
Regular

#72 Post by Demetis »

minyan wrote:Update:

I've been working on changing up the battle system to a more traditional visual novel style format. I'm about halfway finished, but the battle's are now going to have a lot more CG's, so I'll be getting started on those.

As for the story, it's pretty complete, right now I just want to add in more conversation opportunities with characters to get to know them better, and finish the CG's for the events I've written in.
Wah, looks like you got a lot of art stuffs infront of you XD Good luck working on them >w<b
Will you be releasing another demo after you have completed Lilie's first chapter then? ovo

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#73 Post by minyan »

Demetis wrote:
minyan wrote:Update:

Wah, looks like you got a lot of art stuffs infront of you XD Good luck working on them >w<b
Will you be releasing another demo after you have completed Lilie's first chapter then? ovo
Thank! Yea, I'm both looking forward to it and dreading it xD
I will be releasing another demo! The art will probably be a mess, but the events and conversations will be all sparkly clean xD I'm really thinking about looking for a background artist... it's just not my thing man. and I want them to look nice. OTL
ImageImage

Wide Mouth Ink
Regular
Completed: None for now
Projects: Endless Halls
Tumblr: WideMouthInk
Deviantart: WideMouthInk

#74 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Came back to see if this got updated. Glad it did.

I see both of us came across some development issues concerning the game part of our projects.
I don't mind that it gets cut, or altered in this case. The characters and lore hooked me in just fine.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#75 Post by minyan »

Wide Mouth Ink wrote:Came back to see if this got updated. Glad it did.

I see both of us came across some development issues concerning the game part of our projects.
I don't mind that it gets cut, or altered in this case. The characters and lore hooked me in just fine.
I'm glad to hear it! Yes, I've been keeping up with your thread too! Or at least I was when I had easier access to internet xD Thanks for the continued interest!
ImageImage