Kill The Din

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Kill The Din

#1 Post by Tempus »

______
______
Overview
Kill The Din is a short, linear, poetry-prose hybrid concerning the account of the Hero, and of the Monster who ate more than flesh.

Progress
I'm working by myself so progress isn't very fast but I've made advances on pretty much all fronts:
  • 1/4 of the story
  • Two backgrounds
  • Custom transition
  • Custom UI
  • A music track
  • Some sound effects
  • Altered key-bindings + removed cursor
  • Simple wordless tutorial
  • WIP website
Play the current build
I've attached the current build I have for each desktop platform. The final thing will be subdivided into four parts and the current build (v0.4.1) contains one of those parts (it'll probably be the second). That being said, while this is one of four parts that doesn't necessarily mean it'll constitute a quarter of the writing. I expect part three and maybe four to be longer. I'll update builds as I go.
Attachments
Kill_The_Din-0.4.1-win.zip
(13.74 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
Kill_The_Din-0.4.1-mac.zip
(12.12 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
Kill_The_Din-0.4.1-linux.tar.bz2
(15.84 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by Tempus on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Kill The Din

#2 Post by Godline »

I'm kind of fearing that the first build will actually contain errr... nothing.
How existential of you. :)

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#3 Post by Alte »

It sure is something. :)

The controls are functional. When closing the build (as of 0.3), it fades into darkness.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Tempus »

Thank you both for your comments!
Alte wrote:When closing the build (as of 0.3), it fades into darkness.
Ah yes, that's symbolism.

Rated Z
Regular
Projects: Western Destiny
Deviantart: dennyzartman
Soundcloud: denny-zartman

#5 Post by Rated Z »

Interesting concept! I look forward to following the progress.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#6 Post by Haze »

Well, I played the current build, and I like what you have so far! Your game looks like it'll have a very nice aesthetic, and I'm looking forward to playing the final version.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

paradigmshifty
Regular
Completed: New Pisces, For Ambergris, Void Id, Connection Pools, Apartment Complex, LIFEPLUS+ and more
Deviantart: paradigmshifty
Soundcloud: sleepyagents
itch: sleepyagents

#7 Post by paradigmshifty »

I enjoyed playing the demo on here today - looking forward to the full experience!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#8 Post by YossarianIII »

This is cool.

Your original post kind of reminds me of the promo material for The Stanley Parable (which is a very good thing, in my book).

The build worked smoothly on Mac, and looks super cool when you hold down the skip button.

Good luck!

Image Image

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#9 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Your list of features has me sold! It's great to see something different :D Good luck with it!

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Kill The Din [NaNoRenO2015]

#10 Post by Tempus »

It's been ten days since my last post and I'm here to tell you that things are going very smoothly: things are going very smoothly. I had a few ideas the other night. Also, I expanded the track from the build. My plan (there is no plan this is just a figure of speech Jesus Christ don't take everything so literally) is to have a single piece of music continuously play throughout which develops dynamically with the progression of things. I haven't actually tested this yet because I have a feeling it'll just work first try. Now I don't want to be premature and say this is shaping up to be the best non-visual novel ever. So I won't. Oh, and nevermind I forgot.

Okay, let's see what the audience had to say. Some of you had nice things to say. Actually all of you. I appreciate that but I'm also deeply disappointed in each and every one of you. There's a typo in the first line! (First after the guide that is.) Do I have to do everything around here?! No one has any taste these days, especially me.
YossarianIII wrote:This is cool. Your original post kind of reminds me of the promo material for The Stanley Parable (which is a very good thing, in my book). The build worked smoothly on Mac, and looks super cool when you hold down the skip button.
Thanks! And ah, I never saw the promo material for The Stanley Parable but I have watched an LP (and two analyses!) of the game. Good stuff. Also, this is the worst place to ask it so I'm going to ask it here: is your handle a reference to Catch-22? I accidentally (re-)read the first chapter of that again the other day and was surprised at how it still made me laugh aloud.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Your list of features has me sold! It's great to see something different :D Good luck with it!
Just remember it's NaNoRenO and I may not be able to deliver on the absence of all those things. And thanks!

(And don't think for a moment I didn't see someone snuck [this is a word, spellcheck! OH! now spellcheck isn't a word either?! Do you deny your own existence?!] a tag into my thread title. A person's thread is their castle. I'm deeply incensed but I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I'm not falling apart and you can't prove I am. Are you a doctor? No? Yes? Training to be one? Quit now. Medicine is a very depressing field.)

Good luck everyone especially me!

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#11 Post by YossarianIII »

Tempus wrote:Thanks! And ah, I never saw the promo material for The Stanley Parable but I have watched an LP (and two analyses!) of the game. Good stuff. Also, this is the worst place to ask it so I'm going to ask it here: is your handle a reference to Catch-22? I accidentally (re-)read the first chapter of that again the other day and was surprised at how it still made me laugh aloud.
Yes and no... Yossarian was a Catch-22 reference at one point, but like a band name, the word has ceased to mean what it originally meant to me (kind of like how I don't picture a pair of flaming lips when I read about the Flaming Lips).

Back in the days when I was a teenager (before I had status and before I had a pager), you could find Yossarian playing some WWII online FPS. I wasn't very good and was mostly just trying not to die, so Yossarian seemed like the perfect username.

But since then, I've just been too lazy to come up with new online personas...

To say something more on topic, when I mentioned the promo material for the Stanley Parable, I was talking specifically about
the stuff about the game they put in the Museum Ending, which you might've seen if you watched a video. That's probably my favorite ending -- after the Broom Closet Ending, of course. :D
Keep it up!

Image Image

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Tempus »

I've updated the OP with some more info about the project. There's some actual writing now as well as an explanation of the form I'm using (or attempting to use). I haven't updated the build so if you've already downloaded don't do so again! Also, here's some things the project won't be: Lovecraftian horror, hero's journey bullshit, a comedy.
YossarianIII wrote:Yes and no... Yossarian was a Catch-22 reference at one point, but like a band name, the word has ceased to mean what it originally meant to me (kind of like how I don't picture a pair of flaming lips when I read about the Flaming Lips). Back in the days when I was a teenager (before I had status and before I had a pager), you could find Yossarian playing some WWII online FPS. I wasn't very good and was mostly just trying not to die, so Yossarian seemed like the perfect username.
Well, I learned of the existence of another song! And ah yes, online personas are tiresome. Perhaps the most tedious part about being anonymous online is deciding what to be onymous as. (And I'm familiar with both those Stanley Parable endings!)

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Kill The Din [Poetry][NaNoRenO2015]

#13 Post by Tempus »

I updated the builds attached to the OP from 0.3 to 0.4 but I cbf editing the mammoth post itself right now. Changes include:
  • Text that (sort of) forms something vaguely coherent that will appear in the final thing. There's now four verses instead of one and the test verse has been removed. I'm unhappy with a couple of lines since I don't think they communicate what was intended but whatever. I'll edit them later.
  • 100% genuinely annoying square text box things and justified formatting for the text therein. Guaranteed to be illegible or your money back.
  • A more embellished version of the music.
  • One whole sound effect. (It's more than you deserve really but I'm generous.)
  • I changed the way the VN/game/thing loops—the ending now goes back to the start (but doesn't restart the music).
  • Less thorough testing than last time.
  • Incremented version number.
Last edited by Tempus on Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alte
The Great Organizer

Re: Kill The Din [Poetry][NaNoRenO2015]

#14 Post by Alte »

Neat, an update! :)
  • 100% genuinely annoying square text box things and justified formatting for the text therein. Guaranteed to be illegible or your money back.
The font of the capital M resembles closely to N, at least to me.
  • A more embellished version of the music.
Hmm, I hear harp and strings in the background. So soothing.
  • One whole sound effect. (It's more than you deserve really but I'm generous.)
Awesome, an indication is a meaningful sign.
  • I change the way the VN/game/thing loops—the ending now goes back to the start (but doesn't restart the music).
Auto-advance continues as an everlasting loop of the present forever. The sound restarts nicely!

Alte
The Great Organizer

#15 Post by Alte »

Regarding to 0.4.1, the transitions are smooth and nicely done.

Water colors fading through like a sliding door yet I'm staring at a layer of four panel walls with a fragmented tale.