You & Me - P4 fangame [P4HeroxYosuke] [Comedy] [BxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CrimsonMoon
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Scented Dream

Re: You & Me - P4 fangame [P4HeroxYosuke] [Comedy] [BxB]

#16 Post by CrimsonMoon »

I've played through it just now and please continue! :'D I enjoy it very much, and I'm sad it's gotta end. :'D

I like how you capture each of their characters. The way they talk, their behaviour, their history. I'm glad that you don't deviate from the original game, and hence, you capture the essence of the characters successfully. I actually laugh throughout the game, which just shows that I really have a fun time playing the game. At first, I thought Soji is the main character, so the prologue is kinda iffy to me, but turns out it's Yosuke, so okay, no wonder he thinks like that. xD I like how confused Yosuke is, you really explain it well. :D

I just notice thought, that you said 'blonde face' instead of 'blonde haired' for Ebihara. I wonder if it's intentional. It sounds a little weird in my opinion.

Good luck with the project! I have to admit I don't play fangames much, but I'll be looking forward to this! You made my day with all those cheesy pick-up lines, lol! xD

PS: If you want a logo for this, I can probably whip up one. Just send details to me in PM, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :D
Updated: 06/05/2015
I make logo, request here (STATUS: CLOSE)
Newbie to making VN.

Cube
Regular
Completed: You and Me | Love is in Bloom
Projects: Ego Holic
Tumblr: qbstudios
itch: qbstudios

#17 Post by Cube »

CrimsonMoon wrote:I've played through it just now and please continue! :'D I enjoy it very much, and I'm sad it's gotta end. :'D

I like how you capture each of their characters. The way they talk, their behaviour, their history. I'm glad that you don't deviate from the original game, and hence, you capture the essence of the characters successfully. I actually laugh throughout the game, which just shows that I really have a fun time playing the game. At first, I thought Soji is the main character, so the prologue is kinda iffy to me, but turns out it's Yosuke, so okay, no wonder he thinks like that. xD I like how confused Yosuke is, you really explain it well. :D

I just notice thought, that you said 'blonde face' instead of 'blonde haired' for Ebihara. I wonder if it's intentional. It sounds a little weird in my opinion.

Good luck with the project! I have to admit I don't play fangames much, but I'll be looking forward to this! You made my day with all those cheesy pick-up lines, lol! xD

PS: If you want a logo for this, I can probably whip up one. Just send details to me in PM, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :D
You got my eternal thanks for this comment as a pm already :3
Feedback like this keeps me going!
ImageImageImage

Cube
Regular

#18 Post by Cube »

UPDATE TIME

Okay, so this project is coming along quite nicely - I've completed the Orpheus route and written 23k words so far, plus the Ishtar route is still missing. I aim for 30k+ words.
This is a lot of work, and since I'm German, I am in need of more proofreaders and beta testers. If you're interested in helping out, shoot me a pm or an ask via tumblr.
ImageImageImage

SNSeed

#19 Post by SNSeed »

I've never even played Persona but I am loving this, made me laugh many times
I am very much looking forward to the finished product, i'm sure it's going to be great

Cube
Regular

#20 Post by Cube »

SNSeed wrote:I've never even played Persona but I am loving this, made me laugh many times
I am very much looking forward to the finished product, i'm sure it's going to be great
*vibrates with excitement* THANK YOU! I hope it wasn't that confusing without knowing Persona 4?
Oh man, now I have to work even harder...
ImageImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#21 Post by noeinan »

I just finished the demo, playing both routes and I had to check all the choices. This is really well done! The writing gets into Yosuke's head, and the characterization is great-- just like playing the original game.

I found myself actually feeling really uncomfortable during the pickup lines, but at the same time not being able to stop laughing. It was a good mix of being in Yosuke's head and having an outside perspective of the humor!
When Chie confessed about liking Yukiko my first thought was "man, it would be really ironic if Kanji ended up the only one of the team in a heterosexual relationship (since this fangame seems to be going off of a cisgender Naoto).

And I love that Yosuke's homophobic comments get addressed by the other characters, especially when Kanji punched him in the face! It was great, because he's a giant asshole about that stuff and no one calls him out on it canonically.
Going to share this, and really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

As a side note, I found one typo:

"I sigh and continue staring at the dull cieling of my room."

Cube
Regular

#22 Post by Cube »

daikiraikimi wrote:I just finished the demo, playing both routes and I had to check all the choices. This is really well done! The writing gets into Yosuke's head, and the characterization is great-- just like playing the original game.

I found myself actually feeling really uncomfortable during the pickup lines, but at the same time not being able to stop laughing. It was a good mix of being in Yosuke's head and having an outside perspective of the humor!
When Chie confessed about liking Yukiko my first thought was "man, it would be really ironic if Kanji ended up the only one of the team in a heterosexual relationship (since this fangame seems to be going off of a cisgender Naoto).

And I love that Yosuke's homophobic comments get addressed by the other characters, especially when Kanji punched him in the face! It was great, because he's a giant asshole about that stuff and no one calls him out on it canonically.
Going to share this, and really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

As a side note, I found one typo:

"I sigh and continue staring at the dull cieling of my room."
(I'm still uncomfortable and embarrassed when I re-read those pick-up lines. You're not alone.)

After a short period of screaming in my head and waving my arms to express my excitement over this comment, I thought about cisgender Naoto. And actually, I'm still not sure how to address that topic. The game tip-toes around it, and the IT members call Naoto a 'she'. Naoto doesn't correct them - Maybe that's where this is coming from.
Tbh, I picture Naoto genderfluid. Maybe not caring about pronouns, but caring about the way nobody takes her seriously as a detective in a male-dominated field when she 'comes out' as (solely) female.

AND YES, KANJI HITTING YOSUKE is actually a big chunk of wish-fullfillment *hehe* Because I am NOT OKAY that nobody EVER (regardless of adaption - games, anime, whathaveyou) calls him out on his homophic comments. Seriously, we have, like what? 4 games (soon 5), 2 animes, 2 manga, and no one ever says something. Ugh. /rant over. A typical situation of "your fave is problematic", I guess.
I'm feeling flattered that the game was interesting enough to check all the choices! Thanks you so much for playing and leaving a comment!

(Spelling. My achilles heel. I 'hired' a few more proofreaders so this won't happen again.)
ImageImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by noeinan »

Cube wrote: After a short period of screaming in my head and waving my arms to express my excitement over this comment, I thought about cisgender Naoto. And actually, I'm still not sure how to address that topic. The game tip-toes around it, and the IT members call Naoto a 'she'. Naoto doesn't correct them - Maybe that's where this is coming from.
Tbh, I picture Naoto genderfluid. Maybe not caring about pronouns, but caring about the way nobody takes her seriously as a detective in a male-dominated field when she 'comes out' as (solely) female.
I'm feeling flattered that the game was interesting enough to check all the choices! Thanks you so much for playing and leaving a comment!
No problem, it was really fun and I'm looking forward to playing the rest of it! (Started sending the link to all of my P4 friends, haha.)

Regarding Naoto...
I always pictured Naoto as neutral gendered, but I think that may be bias because I am neutrois myself, lol. Because of that, some of the game content really bothered me (like you making them dress up in underwear for a dungeon, or having Naoto wear a female uniform...) But then in the epilogue picture, Naoto is wearing more feminine clothes by choice, so I was sort of okay with it...

I like the first line from Yosuke about how it's uncomfortable calling Naoto "she/her" but he'll do it because that's what they want. It sends a good message about respecting pronouns-- and I think that's why I interpreted it as "Naoto is cisgender in this game" since it seemed like they were insisting on the pronoun change.

Cube
Regular

#24 Post by Cube »

@daikiraikimi:

(Oh god, I hope you don't bother them ^^" I have it on tumblr, too, if you want to share.)

Yeah, I tried my way around it by calling the matter out like that.
Don't they refer to Naoto as female ingame? When they rescued Naoto, especially Rise called her a 'she' and IT BOTHERED ME GREATLY. *sigh*
Hm, would it be good to elaborate the topic ingame or at least address it once again? Or maybe leave it like this?
ImageImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by noeinan »

Haha, naw, they'd be happy to see the game, it's no bother. :)
Yeah, they did. It bothered me, too.
Well, I don't think Naoto is much of a centerpiece in this game (seems they are going to be in recovery for quite a bit at least.) I don't think it needs to be pushed, unless that's something that you want to delve into more. Addressing the pronouns at the beginning to make it known that is what they want, and it's about respect, does the trick without derailing too much, I feel.

Cube
Regular

#26 Post by Cube »

GOOD NEWS, party people!

The script is finally complete. Not completely edited, but I've written ~33k words so far.

I gathered a group of Beta testers, who will get the beta version on Nov 01. I plan to release the full game at the end of the year.
ImageImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#27 Post by noeinan »

Yay, so exciting! I'm looking forward to it!

Cube
Regular

#28 Post by Cube »

UPDATE

The full version of the game will be released on Dec 24th, 2015!

And since I'm doing a countdown:

ImageImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by noeinan »

Yaaaaay! :D

Cube