Evangeline [Psychological Horror]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
allurious
Regular

Evangeline [Psychological Horror]

#1 Post by allurious »

A psychological horror visual novel.

I didn't finish for NaNoReNo, but I want to see this through to completion because I've had a lot of fun working on it so far, so it's going to be a (much bigger) finished game! Inspirations come from Silent Hill & Corpse Party with a gothic twist. Evangeline will be a fully voice-acted visual novel with puzzles and mysteries to solve, leading the player through an unsettling story of guilt, denial and retribution.

u̷n̷c̸o̵v̸e̴r̴ ̴t̶h̴e̶ ̷p̶l̴o̴t̷

Set in the Victorian era, Evangeline puts you in the very tiny, polished shoes of five-year-old Magdalene (or Magda, for short). Living in a secluded, grand mansion estate with her mother, father and servants as an only child, Magda always has a lot of time on her hands to entertain herself. Her mother, unattentive. Her father, always working. Everywhere in their estate is fair game - except the ornate red door at the end of the second floor landing.

"You mustn't go in there, Magdalene," Her mother scolded one day, catching the young girl with her hand on the doorknob and an intrepid gleam in her eye. "Be a good girl. Leave locked doors be."

Never getting on particularly well with her mother, one day a tantrum directed at her ends up with them tearing her beloved teddy-bear, Francis, clean in half. When the dust settles and the girl retreats to her room with her now-destroyed friend for life, a rusty key falls out of Francis' empty back cavity... the first of many secrets the house will reveal.

c̸h̸a̷r̵a̴c̶t̷e̸r̸s̸

magdalene farley
the protagonist of the story. a small five year old girl, the only daughter of a fairly affluent family profiting from the cusp of industrialisation.

evangeline farley
o̷̧n̴̶ly̵̡ ̶͟t̸̨h̶̸e̴ ̡f͜o͜r͝g͡oţt̢e͠͡n̡ ǫ͠͡n̶͞e̡s̛̕ ̷̕r͠e̕҉̸m̴͟e͏m͢b͢ȩ̀r

francis the bear
magdalene's well-loved teddy bear. there's something about his button eyes.

jasmine ashdown
the family's nanny. utterly devoted to her work.

simon & francesca farley
magdalene's parents. francesca, a housewife and simon, a machinery overseer.

p̷r̵o̵g̷r̶e̵s̸s̵

plot - 70%
character sprites - 10%
backgrounds - 10%
music - 0%
GUI - 25%
Last edited by allurious on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Evangeline [Psychological Horror] [NaNoReNo 2015]

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Oh wow, psych/horror game, count me in. The logo and story/setting has me intrigued! Best of luck on finishing this!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

rainbowcascade
Regular

#3 Post by rainbowcascade »

I love horror games so I wish you the best of luck!

I'm not gonna lie though, I can tell by looking at the title picture that you mainly worked on light fluffy things. The image made me think this is going to be a really cute game with horror elements. I think it's the bow and ribbon.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#4 Post by Laiska »

Ooh another cool horror game. The little girl + horror angle makes me think of Ib. Looking forward to this!

allurious
Regular

#5 Post by allurious »

Well, the sprites are going to be cute-ish, so you're not wrong! Corpse Party was pretty cute-sy (apart from the gore on the wall) so I'm sorta headed in that direction. Also, thanks for all the neat comments and support, everyone! <3

Here's a rough sketch for the main protag sprite (Magda). Will do a clean/less shitty version tonight!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#6 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

That is a shitty sketch? She looks perfect as is if you were going for a painterly vibe. She looks so adorable~ Definitely hoping yours will be finished. =o Good luck!
ImageImageImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

allurious wrote:Will do a clean/less shitty version tonight!
Oh, pshaw. She's adorable!

I'm keeping my eye on this. The Victorian Era matches so well with horror, doesn't it?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

allurious
Regular

#8 Post by allurious »

Aaand main protagonist! Will do expressions etc. tomorrow. (: <3

GrizelyBear
Regular

#9 Post by GrizelyBear »

Ooh, there are not enough horror VNs in my opinion, so this sounds absolutely great! owo/

Magda looks adorable, and I really think horror stories unfolding in the eyes of a young child is always interesting...

Good luck, and I'll be looking forward to this! <3

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#10 Post by YossarianIII »

Hey, this looks pretty awesome. I haven't played many horror VNs yet, but since you say Silent Hill is an influence here, I'm totally on board.

The finished version of Magda is adorable and the logo is great, too. Definitely hoping to be able to play this one at the end of the month!

(For what it's worth, I think that if you ever wanted to do a future project in the style of your "shitty" Magda sketch, you totally could. Maybe it looks messy or unfinished to you, but to me -- and I think to some of the previous posters -- it looks like you were intentionally going for an impressionistic vibe.)

Image Image

allurious
Regular

#11 Post by allurious »

Getting UI stuff down! It's my first time programming imagemaps, so hey, I've learned something already. (:

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

QAQ Awesome stuff!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#13 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Horror! And Psychological at that too! So excited! (I've been in such a horror mood lately! :lol:)

Good luck!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#14 Post by Harliqueen »

That character is stunning, the colouring really goes with the feeling the logo and GUI gives!

Horror is not normally something I go for (easily scared, lol), but this looks really good so think I will have to check it out once it's done :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#15 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Awesome art is awesome! Love the GUI, the logo and the sprites, they totally match each other well.
The plot is interesting and eerily creepy already, also poor teddy :"(
This will be on my 'must play' list when it's completed! Good luck!