Project Mitadake [Mystery][Suspense/Horror]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MetaFrosty

Project Mitadake [Mystery][Suspense/Horror]

#1 Post by MetaFrosty » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Name and logo are placeholders for now, shh

Project Mitadake is a kinetic visual novel based on the byond survival RP game Mitadake High. The basic premise for said game is simple: A teacher is murdered within Mitadake High School, triggering the security system and placing the school under lockdown. The culprit is one of the students trapped inside and could strike again at any time. Figuring out the killer's identity is the main goal.
This is essentially how the visual novel will go as well. The aim is to create a story that at least somewhat faithfully captures the feeling of the original game, but it should also be accessible to those who are unfamiliar with it.

This is my pet project that has existed in some form since around 2009, but it was only roughly a year and a half ago that I made the decision to create it as a visual novel. Much of this time has been spent working on and off, with lots of planning and experimenting. I want to do it justice so I can be satisfied with finishing it. There's still a lot to do but it's come a long way since starting it.
I'm mostly working alone, so I'm doing the sprites, backgrounds, story and coding myself. A few people have helped out along the way with concepting and story planning/proof reading, the GUI was created by Hijiri and I'll be looking for someone to compose music later, but other than that I'm handling the bulk of the work.

The story is mostly linear with maybe a choice or two at certain points. The cast is made up of original interpretations of all the students from the original game and will all have their own sprites which will have static poses, blinking eyes, lip flaps and alternate arms (including ones holding weapons).
The resolution will be 1280x720 and I would like to release an android version as well. There will be a map screen to highlight the protagonist's current location in the school, and a character roster that details information about the rest of the characters and will give you access to unlockable extra scenes for each character to allow for extra character development that wouldn't fit into the main story.
I plan to commission an original soundtrack and am contemplating whether to include voice acting, if only for select portions of the story.
Although the creator of Mitadake High has approved a commercial VN adaption, this project will be release for free.

For now I have two characters to show off, but there's a lot more to introduce in later updates. Artwork is not necessarily final, by the way. If anyone ever wants to offer advice on how to improve it or do some redlines I would gladly accept.
This is Zaraki and Yuki.
Zaraki is our protagonist, or at least he is for now. He’s a relatively care-free person who lacks any ambition for the future, being quite comfortable in the life he’s currently living. His iconic goggles are a symbol of his love for his childhood heroes which has remained constant ever since he was little.

Yuki is a friend of his sister (who I'll introduce later). She’s a sweet girl who is very affectionate and protective of her friends. She has an interest in clothing design and cosplay, enjoying the challenges of recreating her favorite outfits.

Also, here is a look at the GUI and character roster screen. The character buttons and information are temporary, of course.
You can follow the devblog here on tumblr.
I would love some advice on how I should go about the whole social media thing, so, what you would like to see in updates or on the blog and whether twitter would be appreciated as well. Any information that I'm missing, forgetting, or you're simply curious about.
I'd also like to know whether the art style is appealing or what I could do to make it better.
Finally, whether voice acting would be a worthwhile endeavor. I think having the entire story voice acted would be out of the question, but would saving it for more impactful scenes be an appealing inclusion?

That's all for now. I'll have more to show another time. Thanks for reading! I am nervous as hell doing this ohgodhelp

ShokumaNatsu
Projects: SHINRAI
itch: prismanga

Re: Project Mitadake [Mystery][Suspense/Horror]

#2 Post by ShokumaNatsu » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:27 am

Oh my god, Mitadake High! <3 While I never played it myself, I watched some of the veeery few Let's Play videos on YouTube about it - the whole game felt kinda fascinating and I was really sad when there was nothing left to watch. Figuring out who the killer was, the increasing number of bloody footprints and splashes on the ground, all those different styles of roleplay and character interpretations... even just watching was very entertaining! :3 Afterwards, I considered playing myself, but I'm quite insecure about my english grammar, so I couldn't bring myself to join... "orz

Anyway!
Just reading about your plans for this project and looking at the artworks got me quite excited, so I really look forward to seeing more of it! <3
Zaraki and Yuki look good, I like your drawing style! (Already very curious about your artwork for the Creepy Red Haired Boy, he was my favorite xD) Including a map sounds like a nice idea too, those things are always interesting. ^__^
About social media stuff: Personally, I'm always interested in character introductions or screenshots. Plain old text-only updates about your progress are perfectly fine too, though! Even if there isn't too much to show or tell, it's always nice to see some activity. I'm certainly no expert, but I think it's really important to stay on people's radar! That said, Twitter would definitely be appreciated. ^__^

MetaFrosty

#3 Post by MetaFrosty » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Thank you! I'm happy that somebody knew it. If it's any consolation, your grammar seems far better than a lot of the native english speakers people who used to play.

Since you're interested, I'll oblige. I hope I meet your expectations.
Here are Zero and Keiichi, The Blue Haired Boy and The Creepy Red Haired Boy.
Zero is a stoic person who is very devoted to his studies. As a friend of Zaraki’s, he’s often chastised for spending his free time working. His lofty ambitions drives his desire to succeed, however.

Meanwhile, Keiichi is a loner who will be found skulking around in the background while other more outgoing people will take center stage. He finds few reasons to talk to people, instead silently watching them from a distance.

Also to show today is a look at how I'm making backgrounds.

Because I'm absolutely awful at drawing and colouring backgrounds, I decided to use 3D for the job. I've been through a lot of trial and error in figuring out exactly how to do them and I've still got plenty more to do, I'm sure.
But what I've ended up with right now is scenes built in Unreal and rendered with a filter to give it this effect. It's not perfect and I need to do a lot more work, probably including post-render editing, but so far I like the results.

I'll see about making a twitter account for next time, even if the only thing I can think of using it for is to tweet out notifications about updates.

MetaFrosty

#4 Post by MetaFrosty » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 am

I didn't update this thread for my last tumblr post, oops. I have been working though, just not showing much of it off.
Most of what I've gotten done lately is script work and art studies. I’ll probably end up redrawing all these sprites over again before the project is complete, I can already see things wrong with them that I could improve, after all. Still, they’re what I’ve got for now and will work for the time being.

I haven’t really gone into much detail regarding how the story will work and while I want to keep the details a surprise, I will say that it will be split into different parts with different protagonists for each. So far, I’ve completed the first draft for the first two parts and the third is in progress, with minor parts of the later ones done.
I’m only barely more than a quarter of the way of this third part though yet it’s already 2/3 as long as the second part and half as long as the first. Ideally I would want each part to be similar in length, so that’s going to be a tricky challenge when I come to the second draft.

Anyway, three characters to show off today.
Shiki Yagami, the long, pink haired girl. She’s Zaraki’s doting older sister and is well known around the school. She and Yuki are as close as sisters. She’ll look for the best in everyone at the worst of times.

Ruko Etsu and Miki Suzuki, the black haired boy and the brown haired girl.

Ruko is a reserved guy who will usually stand back and let others take charge, coldly judging them all the while. His patience is thin, refusing to put up with nonsense, usually leaving the moment something starts to bother him. A certain excitable girl is the only one who’s managed to bury her way into his heart.

Miki is the youngest of the cast but manages to be among the more responsible. She cares deeply for her older brother and best friend Tomoe (Both of whom we’ll meet later). She’ll earnestly try to reach a peaceful conclusion to most situations, but if you make her snap you might regret it.
Ruko Etsu and Miki Suzuki, the black haired boy and the brown haired girl.

Some more scenes for backgrounds as well. First is the tea room.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/31032e1e7591 ... 2_1280.png
The classroom. There's eight of these but they'll probably all use the same image, there's no real difference between them.
http://36.media.tumblr.com/43f1d332fc49 ... 2_1280.jpg
And the nurse's office. I'll probably do more with it because it looks very bare as is, even though it’s pretty accurate to the ingame office.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/0731f81240fe ... 3_1280.jpg
I'll try not to be so long with the next update, but I'm quite focused on the script right now so I shouldn't promise anything. I can make smaller stopgap updates just showing off background scenes and if I get asked a question if I've got nothing else to show, if that would be preferable to nothing.