Brilliant Shadows [Lesbian][Adventure][Romance] Kickstarted!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

Brilliant Shadows [Lesbian][Adventure][Romance] Kickstarted!

#1 Post by Geckos »

Brilliant Shadows
An Adventure/Romance Visual Novel

Check out our game on Steam Greenlight and give us a thumbs up! :3

When a mage completes their training, they participate in a powerful ritual. Two mages of opposite schools, Necromancy and Light, are bound together eternally, drastically enhancing each other’s power. This ritual leaves a matching mark on the main hand of each half of the pair. It is a sign that the two are eternally united. Veronica Ashmar and Prudence Celeste are two such mages, best friends who swore to be together forever. On the day of the ritual, the two find that their plans will not be so easily followed.

Overall, there is an astounding lack of variety and diversity in the world of mainstream gaming. Gender, race, and sexuality are often not present in modern games or eroticized when they are.

Brilliant Shadows will attempt to break this paradigm by featuring a lesbian protagonist along with a slew of supporting characters that run the gamut in terms of both ethnicity and sexual orientation.

While the focus of Brilliant Shadows is on adventuring through a fantastical world filled with danger and magic, we wanted to incorporate characters that would be reminiscent of the people you interact with everyday.

Veronica Ashmar, aka “Ash”
Ash is a necromancer, a graduate of the Academy, and the best friend of Prudence. With her friend in line for the throne of her kingdom, Ash looks to assume the role of a court mage.

Prudence Celeste, aka “Prude”
Despite the nickname, Prudence is by far the least prudish Paladin at the Academy. She is the sole heir to the Celeste throne, her mother rules as the King. She seeks to assume a role in her mother’s court and eventually assume the role of King when her mother retires.

Hektor Warlock, aka “Hek”
Hek is a graduate turned assistant teacher. For two years he has participated in the ritual in hopes of being paired, only to find himself left alone. He dreams to one day serve in a nation’s army, but without a partner, he knows his abilities will never let him ascend higher than the status of a hedge mage. With this year’s ritual, he may have his last chance to pair.

A very short demo for the game is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
BrilShadsDemo-1.0-win.zip
(33.84 MiB) Downloaded 707 times
BrilShadsDemo-1.0-mac.zip
(31.82 MiB) Downloaded 312 times
BrilShadsDemo-1.0-linux.tar.bz2
(35.1 MiB) Downloaded 453 times
Brilliant Shadows is 32,000 words long, featuring 18 CG (painted shots depicting an important plot point), 20 backgrounds, and 18 sprites and we hope to add at least 4 more CGs, 1 background and perhaps a few sprites, based on how the KS goes! The game will be sold for $3 commercially.

Help support the game and get some fun perks at the Brilliant Shadows Kickstarter!
Attachments
screenie_5.jpg
screenie_4.jpg
screenie_3.jpg
screenie_2.jpg
screenie_1.jpg
Last edited by Geckos on Fri May 15, 2015 1:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image ImageImage

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

Re: Brilliant Shadows [Adventure][Romance] Kickstarted!

#2 Post by kisa »

This looks gorgeous.
Not to give anyone any ideas... But, you could easily get more than $3 for this.
I'll have to check it out once it's all done.
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck

#3 Post by Geckos »

kisa wrote:This looks gorgeous.
Not to give anyone any ideas... But, you could easily get more than $3 for this.
I'll have to check it out once it's all done.
Hee, thank you! :3
I hope to see you around.
Image ImageImage

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Ah, this looks really neat! I'll be checking it out soon! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Geckos
Veteran

#5 Post by Geckos »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Ah, this looks really neat! I'll be checking it out soon! :)
Thank you! I hope to see you around. :3
Image ImageImage

emmychu
Projects: CafeMai [GxG]
Tumblr: tinypanties
Deviantart: emmychu

Re: Brilliant Shadows [Lesbian][Adventure][Romance] Kickstar

#6 Post by emmychu »

I love love love the art and character designs! I played through the demo, can't wait for more. c:

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#7 Post by Laiska »

I'm definitely digging the art style! Will the main romance be between Veronica and Prudence?

Geckos
Veteran

#8 Post by Geckos »

@Emmychu
I'm excited to be getting so much support for the game! Thank you so much. :3

@Laiska
Thank you!
And that is part of the surprise! :3
Image ImageImage

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

#9 Post by Smudgeed »

Beautiful game! Both the art and the GUI. I'm surprised that you've decided to price the game at $3...I would actually be willing to pay more for this game. But, I do enjoy that price as it is very affordable.

I just finished the demo and right off the bat I have to say that I was taken by the game within the first few seconds. I actually became so engrossed that when the demo ended I had hold back a scream. I also love your idea and goal of trying to add more diversity to games, I completely agree with it. I love that you've made that a goal for this game.

Good luck :)

Geckos
Veteran

#10 Post by Geckos »

Smudgeed wrote:Beautiful game! Both the art and the GUI. I'm surprised that you've decided to price the game at $3...I would actually be willing to pay more for this game. But, I do enjoy that price as it is very affordable.

I just finished the demo and right off the bat I have to say that I was taken by the game within the first few seconds. I actually became so engrossed that when the demo ended I had hold back a scream. I also love your idea and goal of trying to add more diversity to games, I completely agree with it. I love that you've made that a goal for this game.

Good luck :)
Thank you! :3
Seeing as this is our first commercial release and the game is only around 2 hours long we figured we'd start with a lower price point and see how it went. For longer games we'll likely try slightly larger numbers.

I'm glad you liked the demo! I know it's terribly short but I figured a little bit of something was better than nothing. I hope that you find the rest of the game as interesting, if you have decided to grab it!

UPDATE
I thought I'd post some of the GUI tweaks that I've implemented. I'm not much for GUI in general but I think I'm getting there slowly!
Attachments
ui_screenie2.jpg
ui_screenie1.jpg
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

#11 Post by Geckos »

The poster is at its sketch stage now!
Uncertain what I'm doing with the logo exactly.
Attachments
poster_8.jpg
Image ImageImage

Geckos
Veteran

#12 Post by Geckos »

I am totally stoked to announce that Brilliant Shadows has been made a Staff Pick on kickstarter! Just a few days left before the campaign is over but it's added full voice acting through stretch goals. :3

Here are some side character concepts as well as a few CG teaser bits!
Attachments
cook5.jpg
kobold 2.jpg
teasers.jpg
Image ImageImage

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#13 Post by noctos »

This... Looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm grabbing the demo right now. I also want to thank you for pushing for more diversity in games - it's sorely needed!

Geckos
Veteran

#14 Post by Geckos »

noctos wrote:This... Looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm grabbing the demo right now. I also want to thank you for pushing for more diversity in games - it's sorely needed!
Thank you! The demo is quite short but the full game will be out in August sometime, with full voice acting! :3
Image ImageImage