g0d_m0d3 [SHELVED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

g0d_m0d3 [SHELVED]

#1 Post by Alcor »

Hello! I'm Alcor, the artist/writer/programmer who was working on this project.

g0d_m0d3 is indefinitely shelved. I have removed all the screenshots and assets from this post, but if you're curious about how this project once looked, please feel free to look in the below galleries:

2016 Redone Sprites: https://imgur.com/a/YoLH6

2015 Character Cards: http://imgur.com/a/pM9Kn
2015 Backgrounds/CGs: http://imgur.com/a/SuWoD

Thanks for your interest!

Synopsis

All things exist. Some are just more real than others...

Rosette was a normal girl living a normal life--until she was invited into a secret world accessible only through dreaming.

This is a world of games, created by a mysterious individual known only as 'g0d_m0d3.' This world is open only to selected gamers, each of whom play with and against each other during the night and live their real lives during the day.

While gamers play a variety of games here, the premiere game is a sort of card battle. Each gamer receives a card when they first enter this world, and each card allows the gamer to summon a special entity. Many gamers choose to battle their card against others' cards, each vying for the title of the greatest gamer. For some reason, Rosette's card is blank, but this does not stop her from meeting and befriending other gamers.

However, each gamer appears to have their own agenda... an agenda Rosette may or may not share. Who is truly a friend, and who will become a foe? Who is g0d_m0d3, and why does this world exist?

When gamers start to disappear, and when the gamers realize one night that they cannot wake from this dream world... what will Rosette do?
Last edited by Alcor on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

Re: g0d_m0d3 [SciFiFantasy?][GxB][Non-Commercial]

#2 Post by Smudgeed »

Two weeks to finish? Yikes. I think your plan is very smart though. Also, congratulations on your first game! And welcome.

What do you think of the art? Do you find the characters attractive?
New to digital art? Guess I have to go chuck myself into a trash can. Your characters look great, and I do find them quiet appealing. I like the way you've colored them actually. To me, they have this sort of colored pencil look.

Are you interested by the plot? How about by the characters?
This plot seems like something I've seen before but that doesn't mean I don't think it would come out well. The characters also don't have a lot of information here so I can't really say anything about that.

Best of luck with this project! I'll be keeping an eye on it :)

Juno
Regular

#3 Post by Juno »

I love your art style! And the colouring is fantastic. It looks very professional.
Yeah, I like the plot idea. I love stories that essentially push a group of people together that would normally not have known each other and you mentioned that they play by night and live their lives normally by day. I figure this would give people playing an opportunity to interact outside of the game, whether they know who one another actually is (or if they try to figure it out). It leaves a lot of room for things to happen.

I don't know much about the characters, but I do like the character designs. When you say they fight "for dominance" in the world, what does that mean exactly, though? What sort of reward is given to the top player? Do they essentially get to "rule" the world and create new facets of it, or do they just get some kind of title? I assume it has to be pretty high stakes for people to want to fight one another for it.

I also like the idea of entities who are essentially bonded to one person. What are these entities like? Do they have human personalities? Do players typically befriend their entities? Or do some people treat their entities poorly and essentially subjugate them by having power over them? Will their be a secret romance route with your unknown entity that you may or may not get?

Don't feel like you have to answer any of these questions, these are just things that pop into my head. I'm sure answering some of those questions might give away spoilers anyway, but I just thought I'd let you know what I was thinking while reading it.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Hmmm. Sounds a bit like a mix between Fate/Stay night and Persona!

The character designs look very nice, but you'll want to beware of giraffe-neck. (I'm not much of a visual artist, so feel free to do what you want with that suggestion.)

I would love to know a little more about the characters. What are their motivations? Why do they play the game?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Enigma
Veteran

#5 Post by Enigma »

I love the coloring on all the characters. The game looks really interesting. For some reason the story is giving me some Log Horizon vibes. I'd also second for more information on the characters

Alcor
Veteran

#6 Post by Alcor »

Now that my school projects are done, I finally have the time to reply ^_^;
Also, the original post is now updated with new descriptions/images!
Smudgeed wrote:Two weeks to finish? Yikes. I think your plan is very smart though. Also, congratulations on your first game! And welcome.

New to digital art? Guess I have to go chuck myself into a trash can. Your characters look great, and I do find them quiet appealing. I like the way you've colored them actually. To me, they have this sort of colored pencil look.

This plot seems like something I've seen before but that doesn't mean I don't think it would come out well. The characters also don't have a lot of information here so I can't really say anything about that.

Best of luck with this project! I'll be keeping an eye on it :)
Thanks for commenting! It's interesting that you think they look liked colored pencil work, because I do almost all of my traditional art with colored pencil--I guess I draw digitally the same way I do traditionally. I'll definitely explore different styles later. Also, thanks for the welcome :D
Juno wrote:I love your art style! And the colouring is fantastic. It looks very professional.

Yeah, I like the plot idea. I love stories that essentially push a group of people together that would normally not have known each other and you mentioned that they play by night and live their lives normally by day. I figure this would give people playing an opportunity to interact outside of the game, whether they know who one another actually is (or if they try to figure it out). It leaves a lot of room for things to happen.

I don't know much about the characters, but I do like the character designs. When you say they fight "for dominance" in the world, what does that mean exactly, though? What sort of reward is given to the top player? Do they essentially get to "rule" the world and create new facets of it, or do they just get some kind of title? I assume it has to be pretty high stakes for people to want to fight one another for it.

I also like the idea of entities who are essentially bonded to one person. What are these entities like? Do they have human personalities? Do players typically befriend their entities? Or do some people treat their entities poorly and essentially subjugate them by having power over them? Will their be a secret romance route with your unknown entity that you may or may not get?

Don't feel like you have to answer any of these questions, these are just things that pop into my head. I'm sure answering some of those questions might give away spoilers anyway, but I just thought I'd let you know what I was thinking while reading it.
Those are some excellent questions, and a lot of them I hadn't thought about before--those questions really helped me think about the idea further. I think I have a somewhat-better understanding of my idea now. I don't think I can answer the questions specifically now, but I've updated the synopsis/character profiles a bit; hopefully the finished game will answer everything else. Thank you for the comment! ^_^
Mad Harlequin wrote:Hmmm. Sounds a bit like a mix between Fate/Stay night and Persona!

The character designs look very nice, but you'll want to beware of giraffe-neck. (I'm not much of a visual artist, so feel free to do what you want with that suggestion.)

I would love to know a little more about the characters. What are their motivations? Why do they play the game?
Oh whoops, you're certainly right! The necks are really ridiculously long! I don't think it's something I'll fix in the character sprites, but I'll definitely pay more attention to anatomy in the CGs/future projects... thanks for pointing that out! I'm not familiar with Fate/Stay night or Persona, but I'll look into those when I have time :)

EDIT: I actually did end up fixing them, and I think the sprites look a lot better now. Thanks again~
Enigma wrote:I love the coloring on all the characters. The game looks really interesting. For some reason the story is giving me some Log Horizon vibes. I'd also second for more information on the characters
Thanks for the comment! I'm not familiar with Log Horizon either, but I'll look into that.

Alcor
Veteran

#7 Post by Alcor »

A quick update: more screenshots/assets/character sprites have been added to the main post.

Also attached some incomplete CGs. I have no idea how many CGs I'll end up needing, so right now I'm just drawing scenes as I think of them--probably not the best way to progress, though. Script is maybe 1% done, maybe not even that... ^_^;

FrozenApple66
Regular
Projects: Lunescara (Hiatus) The Cottage (NaNo16)
Organization: Pink Squirrel Games

#8 Post by FrozenApple66 »

I shall post proper thoughts for this in an edit later. But, I just wanted to say that I love the character color palates. They pop and I love it!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: g0d_m0d3 [SciFiFantasy?][GxB/G][Non-Commercial]

#9 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Your characters convey heaps of personality.

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#10 Post by noctos »

Looks intriguing! I'll answer your questions:

What do you think of the art?
First off, I want to say I absolutely adore the main menu artwork. I think the composition and perspective works really well. I also enjoy the variety of color in the art. I'm especially fond of the "card" concept. The lines are crisp and the colors fit well.

I do second the comment about long necks, though. It might be a stylistic choice, but I don't think studying the anatomy a little would hurt.

What do you think of the concept?
The characters are what interests me the most! I like their design, but the personalities seem both dynamic and engaging as well. I'm particularly curious about that certain ??? character ;;

Miscellaneous questions..
Would a romantic game still be romantic without romantic (i.e. kiss) CGs?
- What do you mean with this? Will there be romantic scenes, just no CGs to complement them? I think it could still count as a romantic game, but it depends on the main focus, really. If the main focus of the story is romance and love, not having any CGs including that aspect could pose a challenge.

wererat42
Regular

#11 Post by wererat42 »

This actually has more of a No Game No Life aesthetic than any of the other titles other people have mentioned.

Alcor
Veteran

#12 Post by Alcor »

FrozenApple66 wrote:I shall post proper thoughts for this in an edit later. But, I just wanted to say that I love the character color palates. They pop and I love it!
Thanks! I tried to make them as colorful as possible without going full rainbow. ^_^
Lesleigh63 wrote:Your characters convey heaps of personality.
Thanks, and glad you think so! I was worried about them falling into common stereotypes (the smart-ass serious black-haired guy with glasses, for instance).
noctos wrote:What do you think of the art?
First off, I want to say I absolutely adore the main menu artwork. I think the composition and perspective works really well. I also enjoy the variety of color in the art. I'm especially fond of the "card" concept. The lines are crisp and the colors fit well.

I do second the comment about long necks, though. It might be a stylistic choice, but I don't think studying the anatomy a little would hurt.

The characters are what interests me the most! I like their design, but the personalities seem both dynamic and engaging as well. I'm particularly curious about that certain ??? character ;;

Miscellaneous questions..
- What do you mean with this? Will there be romantic scenes, just no CGs to complement them? I think it could still count as a romantic game, but it depends on the main focus, really. If the main focus of the story is romance and love, not having any CGs including that aspect could pose a challenge.
Thank you for answering my questions, it helps me better plan the story :)

I went and shortened the necks once, but I agree, they're still too long! >_<; Glad you like the colors/card-people, though!

Hmmm, I was thinking that I will still write romantic scenes (accompanied by CGs), but perhaps no kiss scenes/CGs (because I'm pretty bad at writing/drawing those, haha). I've seen some comments on other sites where readers wished a VN/date sim contained kiss scenes, though. While I don't think g0d_m0d3 is an otome or at all romance-focused, I'd hate to disappoint readers who play for the romance aspect.
wererat42 wrote:This actually has more of a No Game No Life aesthetic than any of the other titles other people have mentioned.
I think so, too XD

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#13 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hello~ Are you still working on this? Btw I love the plot, this kind of plot gives me some mysterious vibes :P Excited for the game. Keep it up and all the best! :mrgreen:

GrizelyBear
Regular

#14 Post by GrizelyBear »

Oh my gosh, this looks absolutely interesting! :D Are you still working on this? I do hope you are ;w;

Anyway, I'll go ahead and answer the questions!

What do you think of the art?
I do find the characters attractive! They're super cute to be honest, and I love the clothes design! The CGs are interesting to me, and I do think the backgrounds don't seem that off.

Yes, I do. I'd like to see how they interact each other and find out their real agenda in the game. And I definitely want to know who "g0d_m0d3" is. Also, to answer your second question, I have a thing for true endings so I like that idea. :)

Yep! I don't care much for those CGs, though they're admittedly a plus. Still, I believe that romance doesn't necessarily equate to such physical intimacies!

How important is a CG gallery to you? How about a music room/ending list/bonus features section?

Kinda important, but I don't mind if a game doesn't have one. I like bonus sections, especially side stories or after-ending scenarios. <3

If you are still working on this, I'd like to say good luck~<3 I'll be looking forward to this.