The Neptune Waves [BxG][Sports][Slice of Life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ivach

The Neptune Waves [BxG][Sports][Slice of Life]

#1 Post by Ivach » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Genre
Sports, Slice of Life, Romance, Friendship, Drama

The Neptune Waves is a visual novel that is inspired by mangas such as Slamdunk! Our aim is to deliver a narrative experience that focuses more on the concept of a sport, which is basketball, and how it plays an influential role in the character’s lives.

Through the format of a visual novel and having elements of interactivity, we want players to feel like they are part of the team. Train with the characters, revel in victories together, conquer challenges together, and overcome losses together. As such, we have a mini basketball gameplay segment, where players get to make meaningful choices in a game, such as to dribble, pass or shoot. Depending on your actions, this may cause certain characters to react in different ways, and also how matches will unfold.

You play as a the protagonist who arrives as a new student at Neptune High, a quiet coastal town high school who are fairly well known for their basketball team. However, he has no intention of joining the basketball team at all. Yet, his mundane high school life is about to get a lot more interesting when his childhood friend Elena asks him to accompany her to join the Neptune Waves. When he accidentally pisses off Claire, the captain of the Neptune Waves, and gets challenged to a 1 on 1 game, how will everything play out?

The Protagonist
Position: Small Forward (SF)
Team: Neptune Waves 2nd String
Year: 1

The main character of the story. He used to be a skillful basketball player, but gave up on the game due to an event that happened during his middle school years. He’s generally friendly and approachable, but can be rather hot headed at times, which often gets him into sticky situations.

Claire Venette
Position: Point Guard (PG)
Team: Neptune Waves 1st String
Year: 3

Claire is the captain of the Neptune Waves. Her lightning speed and dribbles have earned her the title of the “Flash”. Though being extremely skilled, she strongly believes in hard work and effort. She’s often either respected or feared, as people find it hard to approach her very personally. Her thirst for victory may seem feverish to some, but it seems there’s more to it than just a selfish reason.

Elena Hart
Position: Center (C)
Year: 1

Elena is the protagonist’s childhood friend. She started playing basketball at a young age, and being slightly older, introduced the game to him. She’s very nostalgic about the times when she and the protagonist played basketball together. So when the two of them arrived at Neptune High, she was determined to join the Neptune Waves, and to rope the protagonist in with her.

Zack Bradley
Position: Shooting Guard (SG)
Year: 2

Zack carries himself around other people with an air of arrogance and cockiness that is more endearing than it is insulting. He’s extremely confident with his abilities, namely to score 3 pointers on a consistent basis. However, he’s still able to recognize when a player is better than him, and is surprisingly humble about it. His lack of seriousness however often puts him at odds with the captain.

Jace Weston
Position: Center (C)
Year: 3

Jace is the captain’s right hand man, and being with her in the same team for 3 years, he is probably the person who understands her the most. As such, he’s usually the one who diffuses the situation whenever there is a misunderstanding between Claire and the team. He’s extremely intelligent and is one of the top students in Neptune High.

Mia Ostella
Position: Power Forward (PF)

Mia is the younger, and more reserved twin of the Ostella sisters. She’s shy and usually hides behind her elder sister Tia, who does most of the talking for her. They are both extremely close and understand each other very well, allowing them to perform extremely well when on the court together. While not being a player of tremendous skill, she has a keen eye and an amazing knack for passing.

Summer Fields
Position: Shooting Guard (SG)
Team: Neptune Waves 2nd String Bench

Summer is the bench player of the Neptune Waves 2nd String. She wants to be able to play, but she’s just not quite good enough. She has a history of being a delinquent student though she left it all behind when she found the sport of basketball. Despite her lack of skills, she seems to have a strategic mind and accurate analysis of player habits. Could that potential perhaps lead to something more?

Lucas White
Position: Small Forward (SF)
Team: Wildwood Blazes

Lucas is the ace of the Wildwood Blazes team, who are historical and conceptual rivals of the Neptune Waves. During last year’s competition, he had a strong showing and was extremely skilled despite being only a first year. After a chance encounter with the protagonist in a public basketball court, he acknowledges the protagonist as a rival worthy of being taken down.

More info on the other teams and characters will be coming soon!

Basketball mini game. (Choice based)
4 romanceable female characters.
Up to 8 different stats to raise and manage.

Plot Outline: 90%
Script: 0%
Sprites: 45%
GUI: 35%
Backgrounds: 2%
Music: 0%
Programming: 0%

Design/Writer: Ivach
Sprites: Ivach
GUI: Dustin
Backgrounds: jackalico
Music: Looking for Collaborator!
Programming: Looking for Collaborator!

It would be greatly appreciated if you could take some time to answer some of our questions!

Is the game’s genre/premise interesting you and would you play it?
Which character do you like the most and least? Why?
What other aspects of high school/teenage life would like to see explored?
Are the synopsis and character descriptions detailed enough? Or would they benefit from more details?
Do you have any other questions/comments/critiques about the game?

We’re currently looking for a programmer to bring The Neptune Waves to life!

We’re grateful for any feedback or interest in the project. Thanks for reading!

Enigma
Veteran

Re: The Neptune Waves [BxG][Sports][Slice of Life]

#2 Post by Enigma » Tue May 05, 2015 2:43 am

1. The game interests me a lot because I enjoy basketball to a degree, I'm not to fond of watching it on T.V. though.

2. I don't really have a character i dislike, but I like Mia, mainly cause I tend to like the ace player type character in sports media.

3. As for highschool life, I'm fond of people hanging out at fast food restaurants, it makes me really nostalgic for some reason

4. I'm the kind of person who LOVES details so I'm not the best person to ask. I tend to like knowing things from their speech pattern to their exact shoe size, but that might be too much info.

Ivach

#3 Post by Ivach » Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 am

Thank you for the feedback!

1. Well, we hope you'll enjoy it in a Visual Novel format!

2. Thank you!

3. Yeah, we get that feeling. We already have a few scenes planned in the game that takes place in fast food joints.

4. That's totally reasonable! We're currently busy with the script, but we'll definitely look to expand the descriptions and info, and introduce a few more characters.

HeroicRoxas

#4 Post by HeroicRoxas » Thu May 07, 2015 11:06 am

They all have the same face :(

Ivach

#5 Post by Ivach » Sun May 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Hey HeroicRoxas. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah we noticed that as well. They're all designed from the same template, which is probably why. We're going to be reworking the characters so that they will have different poses and body language so they don't look like carbon copies of each other.

Here's some sketches: