Calling Cipher [On Hold]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Calling Cipher [Slice of life][Comedy][Romance][GxB]DEMO

#16 Post by Steamgirl »

Rinmaru wrote:From start to the end, one route takes around 7 hours to play. Thus, the hacking bit starts a bit later than the first 10 minutes of the game. I don't plan on changing this :o. It would feel too rushed for a game of that length.
I can totally understand that! But as it currently stands, there aren't many "questions" to pull the reader through. Even a small reminder like

"My mind drifted to what I'd worked on in the summer. It was..."
Teacher: "Are you paying attention?!"

would help bring that question of "What was she up to with the hacking thing?" back in the forefront of the mind.
To a certain extent that was achieved once I'd check her phone and saw the exchange of messages. Which is great! But more is better, imho! :)
Rinmaru wrote:Thank you :)! But like I said, unless you are into light HS romance plots, you have no reason to give it a second chance. That would be torturous as the game is going to be a bit long.
But if you decide to play it again, I'd definitely like to hear your opinions on the completed game :)
I love romance plots of any kind! Many of my favourite anime feature HS romance plots and I've played games like Always Remember Me and Roommates, though admittedly that's at university. I really like the characters and love interests I've come across so far in Cipher. Normally I'd devour that kind of stuff the same day. That's why I'm mildy shocked I didn't come back to it. I like it so much, and yet there's something about the pacing that doesn't hook me like usual. IDK, I thought I'd share it anyway, in case it helps somehow or another. :)

Rinmaru
Regular
Completed: Cardinal Cross
Projects: Cardinal Cross
Tumblr: impqueengames
Deviantart: rinmaru

#17 Post by Rinmaru »

would help bring that question of "What was she up to with the hacking thing?" back in the forefront of the mind.
To a certain extent that was achieved once I'd check her phone and saw the exchange of messages. Which is great! But more is better, imho! :)

True! O_O Maybe I should work on that a bit more.
Maybe add a few more messages too. =D Thanks. I'll definitely think about it.

I love romance plots of any kind! Many of my favourite anime feature HS romance plots and I've played games like Always Remember Me and Roommates, though admittedly that's at university. I really like the characters and love interests I've come across so far in Cipher. Normally I'd devour that kind of stuff the same day. That's why I'm mildy shocked I didn't come back to it. I like it so much, and yet there's something about the pacing that doesn't hook me like usual. IDK, I thought I'd share it anyway, in case it helps somehow or another. :)

=D Alright. I'll definitely think about it. I already have some free days on the loop, so I may just use those days as a reminder.
:mrgreen:

Rika-san
Tumblr: rikapeak

#18 Post by Rika-san »

I have literally played through the demo so many times I love it so far! I'm gonna have to say that my bias would have to be Matt (I have this thing for guys with longish hair for some reason, and he's a complete dork I love him////)
and once again you haven't made a stereotypical heroine that is bland and rushes into every romance path just to get it over with, if anything, Riley would rush into her otome games haha
Plus, I may, or may not have gotten my boyfriend into this.
I can't wait for the full version to come out!!
//patiently waits//

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#19 Post by Steamgirl »

@Rinmaru - Regardless of what you do, I'll definitely give it another go in the future. :)

alylt
Regular
Projects: Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem
Organization: Azalyne Studios
Tumblr: azalynestudios
Deviantart: alylt

#20 Post by alylt »

Hi Rinmaru!

I just saw your thread and wanted to stop by and say how awesome I've found all of your work! I think you are amazingly talented and I hope you keep making more games! (And I think you definitely could start charging for them!)

One of my friends pointed me to your stuff recently, and I was so impressed.

This one seems just as great, I'm really glad you started making Ren'Py games :)

Best of luck with both your projects!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#21 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Oooh, I like the look of the artwork.

Rinmaru
Regular
Completed: Cardinal Cross
Projects: Cardinal Cross
Tumblr: impqueengames
Deviantart: rinmaru

#22 Post by Rinmaru »

@Rika-san
I have literally played through the demo so many times I love it so far! I'm gonna have to say that my bias would have to be Matt (I have this thing for guys with longish hair for some reason, and he's a complete dork I love him////)
and once again you haven't made a stereotypical heroine that is bland and rushes into every romance path just to get it over with, if anything, Riley would rush into her otome games haha
Plus, I may, or may not have gotten my boyfriend into this.
I can't wait for the full version to come out!!
//patiently waits//

Hahaha! Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you liked Riley! <3 I hope to finish the game by September >.<; I'm still at around %40. There are a few things I want to fix too! I hope I won't make you wait for long! :)

@Steamgirl
@Rinmaru - Regardless of what you do, I'll definitely give it another go in the future. :)

Thank you so much! I'll definitely think about your suggestions. I'm in the middle of changing some game play elements and I'll take a look at the plot while I'm working on :). Thank you again for playing and giving me your suggestions!

@alylt
I just saw your thread and wanted to stop by and say how awesome I've found all of your work! I think you are amazingly talented and I hope you keep making more games! (And I think you definitely could start charging for them!)
One of my friends pointed me to your stuff recently, and I was so impressed.
This one seems just as great, I'm really glad you started making Ren'Py games :)
Best of luck with both your projects!

Thank you so much! I still can't find the courage to sell my games, but I'm hoping to improve with Calling Cipher and Ascension ETD to be able to make price worthy games. (Is that even a word? O_O)
Unlike my previous programs, Ren'py gives me a lot of freedom in creating games, so I'm really grateful to the Anon who suggested I give it a try!

p.s: I've also been playing Seven Kingdom demo for the past few days, but I should talk about it in it's own thread. :P

@Lesleigh63
Oooh, I like the look of the artwork.

Thank you so much! It's by PrinceOfRedroses! =)
He is a very talented and a very kind person. Please do check out his DA gallery! :)

frozen_still

#23 Post by frozen_still »

I have really enjoyed playing the demo so far! It has a lot of good elements to play around with. I just wanted to throw up here in the forums what I noticed/had questions about so far. Since Kai is really into gaming it would seem you need a better gaming score to achieve more affection points or dialogue options probably? Is it possible for you to include/or if you have already included gaming during Riley's PC time? I have noticed it is harder to rack up those kind of points if story events occur/always needing to sacrifice time with friends to achieve this end.

The only other thing I noticed was if you wanted to capitalize Dad in one of Taylor's text boxes when she tells you she is going to meet you right after taekwondo during the first day.

Overall I am really excited for when the full game is out!

Kaylinh
Deviantart: aurea-sidera

#24 Post by Kaylinh »

Hello~

I'm actually playing the demo, and so far I love it!!!
Beautiful art, nice music, and the GUI looks nice too! The CG looks fabulous too, even if they're just sketches for now!
I love the game references (I spotted swtor and Mass Effect haha)!
I've always loved your personality system, Rinmaru! I really like the mc ^^
I can't wait to see the full version!

Gambatte, do your best! :)

octopuss

#25 Post by octopuss »

Are you still working on this? I'm so excited and I nearly can't wait anymore ahahah

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#26 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hey, are you still working on this project?
Btw, loved the art and the MC and the plot, gahh i love everything about this game :mrgreen:
All the best! (eagerly waiting for an update on the game) :)

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#27 Post by infel »

Unicorn_Magic wrote:Hey, are you still working on this project?
Btw, loved the art and the MC and the plot, gahh i love everything about this game :mrgreen:
All the best! (eagerly waiting for an update on the game) :)

This is also at octopuss. Yes she is still with this game. Actually she just posted about her game on her dev blog giving an update XD. But yeah it's still happening :)
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#28 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

infel wrote:This is also at octopuss. Yes she is still with this game. Actually she just posted about her game on her dev blog giving an update XD. But yeah it's still happening :)

Thank you so much for telling me about this! :D I just checked her dev blog and I'm glad to know it's still happening :!:

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#29 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I liked the we get to choose the personality of the main character. But the most important thing is OMG, WE CAN DATE A TEACHER! HOLY SHOT MY WISHES FINALLY CAME TRUE! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU~

Ok, sorry about that hahah, I just have a huge crush on handsome teachers. 8)

phoenyx

#30 Post by phoenyx »

Rinmaru wrote:Thank you so much! I still can't find the courage to sell my games, but I'm hoping to improve with Calling Cipher and Ascension ETD to be able to make price worthy games. (Is that even a word? O_O)
Your demos are already price worthy in my view. I have spent -way- too much money on the iphone/android app choices (specifically with a game in it called Crown and the Flame). I suggest you try something like what they do, though not as much as they do it (you can spend a fortune if you get all the bells and whistles in that game -.-)- Chapter 1 can be free (it could basically be your demos) but to get to chapter 2, you need to spend some trites for something that is essential to getting there, and people have to buy the trites for real dollars. And the same can go for further chapters.

Now while we're talking about Calling Cipher, there are certain musical pieces that I'd really like to get my hands on (I asked you about 2 specific musical pieces in an ask page you have set up)- any chance of the person/people who made it selling the tunes on itunes or something -.-?