Lunescara (Fantasy Otome - OPEN AGAIN)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
FrozenApple66
Regular
Projects: Lunescara (Hiatus) The Cottage (NaNo16)
Organization: Pink Squirrel Games

Lunescara (Fantasy Otome - OPEN AGAIN)

#1 Post by FrozenApple66 »

PRODUCTION IS OPENING ON THIS PROJECT AGAIN SOON!!!

Recruitment Thread HERE
FullCast.jpg
CGPV.jpg
Attachments
TitleIdea.png
Last edited by FrozenApple66 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 26 times in total.

FrozenApple66
Regular

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy Otome)

#2 Post by FrozenApple66 »

5/24 - Added additional question, updated statistics for writing

5/25 - Added writing sample

5/29 - Added textbox concept art

8/10 - Updated story arc planning and added additional question

10/17 - WIP screen design added with base-color sprites New Moon Arc will be added to the game.

11/01 - Added Menu Sketches and Updated sprite collection

11/02 - Thread Updates complete

11/04 - Recruitment Thread made

6/08 - A lot of art revamping and GUI revamping, prepping for reopening of recruitment
6/10 - Recruitment open early, more art updated

6/11 - Audio Update https://soundcloud.com/user-816663463/l ... itment-611
Last edited by FrozenApple66 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:57 am, edited 12 times in total.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#3 Post by Alcor »

1. What do you think of the character/logo designs?
The pattern in the logo is cute :D
I'm really enjoying the characters' costume designs. I'm especially fond of Sonya's dress, Vladimir's coat, and Klaus' and Midnight's tops.

2. Do you have a favorite character based upon design?
Definitely Midnight! I think black hair combined with blue eyes is stunning. I also have a weak spot for long-haired guys...

3. Though only a synopsis (more information will be put out later) is released what do you think of the story idea?
Hmmm, I'd have to know more to say. I do like the idea of the Faction points leading the main storyline, with Romance points filling in the details--it will likely make the game quite enjoyable in replays :)

4. What do you want to see from this game? More romance focus? More focus on the political battles within Lunescara? Or a balance? Or something else entirely?
I personally value story over pure romance, and would like to know more about the world the story takes place in. I think it'll be up to you to find the perfect balance, though~

It's nice to see that you have some nice progress on your project and that you have some tangible goals set. Here's wishing you the best of luck with your project!

FrozenApple66
Regular

#4 Post by FrozenApple66 »

ALCOR_etc wrote:1. What do you think of the character/logo designs?
The pattern in the logo is cute :D
I'm really enjoying the characters' costume designs. I'm especially fond of Sonya's dress, Vladimir's coat, and Klaus' and Midnight's tops.

Definitely Midnight! I think black hair combined with blue eyes is stunning. I also have a weak spot for long-haired guys...

3. Though only a synopsis (more information will be put out later) is released what do you think of the story idea?
Hmmm, I'd have to know more to say. I do like the idea of the Faction points leading the main storyline, with Romance points filling in the details--it will likely make the game quite enjoyable in replays :)

4. What do you want to see from this game? More romance focus? More focus on the political battles within Lunescara? Or a balance? Or something else entirely?
I personally value story over pure romance, and would like to know more about the world the story takes place in. I think it'll be up to you to find the perfect balance, though~

It's nice to see that you have some nice progress on your project and that you have some tangible goals set. Here's wishing you the best of luck with your project!
Thanks so much! Haha, yes, long haired men~! To be honest, Sebastian and Midnight are really fun to draw for me because they are both long haired~

I'll try to fill in more for the story, but I don't want to give away too much... Perhaps I will put something in the writing thread.

FrozenApple66
Regular

#5 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Below is a writing sample from the first scene of Act 1 in Lunescara:

Cora- Ahhh!
-I scream loudly as I tumble from the bed, smacking my head hard on the chilly wooden floor as I land.
Cora- Urgh…
-The morning sun only makes my throbbing head hurt worse and I stagger over to the large window, drawing the heavy curtains shut.
-Leaning against their sweet scented velvet I close my eyes and think…
Cora- That dream again…
-The dream of the past.
-The dream of a memory: my sister’s death.
-Five years ago, a great plague swept through the land of Lunescara and its Islands killing many human and blessed alike.
-My sister, the chosen Oracle of our generation, was one of the victims.
-In a panic, my family decided to proclaim that Elaine was me and I was she. It would keep our family in good standing with the Blessed.
-But at what cost?
Cora- I don’t know if I can do this, lie and make up prophecies in front of all those monsters…
-But what choice do I have? To be caught impersonating an Oracle is high treason, my entire family would be executed.
-For the past five years I have been drilled on who Elaine was:
-What was Elaine’s favorite color?
-What was Elaine’s favorite food?
-How did she take her tea?
-What were her bad habits?
-Elaine, Elaine, Elaine, Elaine….
-Sometimes I feel like Cora Glaisen really did die.
-Perhaps she did, the moment my parents put Elaine under a headstone bearing my name.
-I can’t turn back… I will be eighteen today. Or well, Elaine will be.
-By this time, a few days from now I will be in the Royal Palace of Lunescara attempting to name the next King.
-It’s my Final Day.
-At sunset I will board the boat to take me away.
-knock, knock, knock-
Cora- Hmm…?
-A small series of knocks comes from the wall beside my bed. A familiar knock.
Cora- Danny?
-I hurry over and press a small panel barely visible through the gaudy wall paper. A hidden door slides open.
Daniel- Cora!
-A blur of brown and purple pops out and envelopes me in a huge bear hug.
Daniel- I’ve missed you! I’m sorry it took me so long to get back.
Cora- Shh, we don’t want the servants to hear you.
Daniel- Right, sorry. Hee, hee.
-This is Daniel Caruthers, he used to be my neighbor when I was a child.
-After Elaine was named the Oracle, his family was given the ‘honor’ of serving the Blessed in Lunescara.
-My family moved to the Oracle’s Manor on the hill above town.
-Once my sister died, I was locked away to begin my private education on becoming Elaine.
-Mother and Father told the locals that I had not taken my sister’s death well and they did not with to further aggravate my own health by having me run amuck outside.
=As for Daniel’s family…
-They moved into the Royal Palace and are presumedly very well cared for. Daniel’s clothes do look very nice if I say so myself.
-You don’t see silk out here on the North Isle. It’s too cold up here except in the summer and early fall for things like that.
Cora- I’m surprised they let you get away. Aren’t all the servants going crazy getting ready for my arrival?
-The sarcasm lays thick on my tongue but Daniel laughs anyway.
Daniel- I was charged with being personal attendant to the Prince’s Liaison attending the Oracle’s Festival.
Daniel- And you know me, I wouldn’t miss making a visit out here for the world.
Cora- Hee… Guess I’m really lucky then.
-Despite being a servant in the Royal Palace, Daniel always manages to visit me once a month.
-I don’t know how he slips off the main island… or gets into the Manor…
-But like clockwork he would visit on the first Sunday of every month.
-He fills me in on the gossip about the various islands, things happening in the Palace, the Princes…
-Most of all, he treats me like I’m still Cora. He is the only person outside of my family who knows the truth.
-And he is still the only one to call me by my true name. He is my best friend.
-And for that I will forever be grateful.
Daniel- Hey, Cora.
Cora- Hm?
Daniel- You know, it doesn’t have to end like this.
Cora- What do you mean?
Daniel- Maybe there’s another way out for you… If…
-He rocks back on his heels, hair in his face as though struggling to find the right words to say.
Cora- Well, spit it out. What do you mean?
Daniel- Ah… What if there was a way for you to save yourself from this fate?
Daniel- What if I knew of some people who could help you?
Cora- Some people? You don’t mean…
-Another knock interrupts us, causing us both to jump.
-Quick as a flash, Daniel murmurs a good bye and disappears through the hidden door again.
-In another moment, it too disappears, replaced with a blank wall covered in tacky blue and gold wallpaper.
-My door flies open just as I sit down on my rumpled bed, trying to look like I just got up.
-A flurry of servants, flanked by my parents file into the room.

FrozenApple66
Regular

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy, Supernatural, Drama Otome)

#6 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Textbox Concept art:
TextBoxConcept.png

JJupiterJump
Regular

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy, Supernatural, Drama Otome)

#7 Post by JJupiterJump »

I think they're cute! (I love the noses, I want to squeeze them I don't know why)

Klaus, I love characters with animal ears! (I know, I know)

I think it sounds interesting. From what I can gather humans are treated badly, right? Probably seen as lesser from what I can gather, and I've always found protagonists who come from a race (like elves in DA) seen as lesser to be interesting, not sure why. The small dialogue snippets for the characters also makes me thing we will choose the king, and he isn't a set person which could be good depending on how you handle it I think.

I'd be interested in magic. The name itself makes me thing of magic during the night (I don't know why) and the sort of monster/people aspect makes me want to see at least some focus on magic within the game. A focus on the workings of the world would be nice too, I mean like how everything is run, physically and in a political sense! Magical fantasy settings are my favourite, and I always like a focus on the workings of the world.

5. How important is an 'happy end' to you as a player? Or are you comfortable with more gray endings where nothing is perfectly solved?

I'd like a happy end with a character (such as an epilogue where they stay together) but the rest of the problems in the world don't have to be solved (or vice versa) for example Elaine being with x character for years in love, but the racism, and other political aspects are still bad.

I'm loving that textbox by the way! It's beautiful!

FrozenApple66
Regular

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy GxB ADDING NEW ARC/OBTAINABLES)

#8 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Sorry for my absense! However, this project is far from dead! :D I have added a second major story arc and 3 new ROMANCABLE characters! Their sprites are coming soon, along with other updates.

FrozenApple66
Regular

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy GxB ADDING NEW ARC/OBTAINABLES)

#9 Post by FrozenApple66 »

New sprite line art for Daniel and Sebastian!!!
Attachments
Sebastian.jpg
Daniel.jpg

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Lunescara (Fantasy GxB NEW ART)

#10 Post by Harliqueen »

I like them! I really love the way you've incorporated the moon into the GUI.

Sebastian is ranking up there, especially with the line art of his sprite :D

I think it sounds really interesting. I love the twist of it being Cora that is going, not her sister.

I'm always pleased if there's more romance, but focus on any aspect sounds brilliant!

5. How important is an 'happy end' to you as a player? Or are you comfortable with more gray endings where nothing is perfectly solved?
I admit, I am a sucker for happy endings. After investing time in something, I like it to end well and resolved.

Really looking forward to this! :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

FrozenApple66
Regular

#11 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Thanks so much for your comment! I like Sebastian too... Lol I like all of them. Hope to have line art finished for obtainables tonight.

FrozenApple66
Regular

#12 Post by FrozenApple66 »

New sprite line art: Midnight & Vladimir
Attachments
Vladimer.jpg
Midnight.jpg

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#13 Post by Ran08 »

I read the snippet of introduction... and I think it's quite interesting! :) I really like the art, too. The logo, well, it's simple yet nice enough.

Anyway, I think I'd be interested in the idea of having two arcs. Do you know the VN Memoirs of an Angel? It sort of has something like that, where the protag could either stay in the castle or leave. :) I'm okay with seeing something like that here, too.

Good luck on the project, and I hope you contine updating us regarding the progress! :)

FrozenApple66
Regular

#14 Post by FrozenApple66 »

As of right now, I have two main paths that the story takes, however, I'm not sure there will be a full second arc. I feel like I bit off a bit more than I can chew at that stage. Hopefully it will be added, but since I am just now getting out re-done art I'm not sure it will be in the final product.

However, I will be re-doing the logo too. I think it is too simple. :(

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad that you like the art! :D

FrozenApple66
Regular

#15 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Last obtainable sprite: Klaus!
Attachments
Klaus.jpg