Best Friends Forever [GxB/GxG][Fantasy/School-Life] DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

Re: Best Friends Forever [Otome/GxB/GxG][Fantasy/School-Life

#16 Post by Evy »

I really like this concept! I'm a sucker for themes of friendship. The current assets look super nice and I'm excited to see a female protagonist that's more on the rowdy side.

blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]
Organization: Blackcross & Taylor
Tumblr: blackcross-taylor
itch: blackcrosstaylor

#17 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

It’s been a little while since I last posted, but progress is moving along steadily.

There are only two backgrounds left (of the initial 51) to be produced which, to be honest, just feels surreal. Although it was bound to happen, this moment just felt so far away when I first contacted exitmothership regarding commissions back in February 2015.

He’s been an absolute pleasure to work with these last two years, and I can’t recommend his work highly enough, so please check out his page on deviant art if you get the chance. I've attached a few of his latest backgrounds below.

As for the sprites, the boys are currently being lined by Ayachin, so I hope to have their bios posted in the next couple of weeks, and then we are getting very close to the demo being completed. More news on that as the deadline approaches, but I think it will be released sometime near the end of May.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
infirmary.jpg
Cafe.jpg
attic.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImage

blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]

#18 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Just a quick note to say the boys' bios are finally up! Ayachin is currently finishing off their alternative outfits, before she plans to move on to the CGs for the demo.

Now there is a bit more to see on the main post, I'd love to hear some feedback, if anyone has any, regarding the characters, plot etc.

As ever, thanks for reading

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#19 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Coding for the demo is going well and there is one background left to be completed. We've also got MakeFox on board designing a new logo and making improvements to the GUI, among other things.

Below are a couple of finished backgrounds and screenshots from the coding. As you can see, the girls are settling into to a nice first day back at the Abbey after the summer holidays ^_^

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
screenshot1.jpg
Music Room.jpg
Study Hall 1 Day.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#20 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

I am so, so excited to be able to post Demo 1 for Best Friends Forever.

Mac http://bit.ly/2qLLTmq

Windows http://bit.ly/2rPYYcr

This demo covers the first two days back at school and should equate to about twenty minutes of play time, depending on reading speed. The GUI is still a work in progress, but all other assets are near enough finalised, so please let me know what you think, specifically…

What did you think of the premise?
What did you think of the writing/art?
Was there anything in the writing/graphics/music/sound-effects you found poorly depicted or jarring?
Which character(s) did you like/dislike and why?
Are you looking forward to playing more?

Now the first demo is available, I’ll probably wait a week or so and then begin posting up the final character profiles.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
promo1.png

blackcross12
Regular

Re: Best Friends Forever [GxB/GxG][Fantasy/School-Life] DEMO

#21 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Okay, so the demo’s been out a little while now, so I thought it was time to reveal the last five characters (spoilers and all!).

I’ll keep them here for now and update the main post once they’re all finished.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Attachments
Ghosts.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#22 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Okay, so the last of the characters have been added to the main post and I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks coding the sprites into the second demo.

Demo 2 is due for release around the end of the July and covers the first two weeks of the school term (out of a total of sixteen, which takes the game up to the winter holidays). You’ll have a chance to join a club, study (or not) and have a few encounters with all the characters. The play time is will be about one to one and two hours depending on reading speed/replaying of the routes.

Ayachin is busy on the next batch of CGs now, so I’ll post a few of them here once they are done.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#23 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

A little break since the last post. We have been working hard on the game, and I'm pleased to say that the second demo will be posted by Friday 7th July, a few weeks earlier than expected.

Until then, ayachin has been working on the many, many CGs for the project (early estimates show there will be 90 in total). I've attached a couple of the new ones (one finished, one sketched) below.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
CG7.png
CG5.png

blackcross12
Regular

#24 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

I’m so happy to present Demo 2 of ‘Best Friends Forever’ (even if it is a little later than planned due me having to reduce the original file size from half a gig >_<)

Windows: http://bit.ly/2u7DFIh

Mac: http://bit.ly/2tXJ4kD

This demo is much longer than Demo 1 and covers the first two weeks of school (as opposed to the first two days in the Demo 1). Being longer, it gives a better grounding for the story as well as an example of the standard gameplay and many more encounters with the characters.

I’m not sure how long it will take to play, but the stats are as follows:

The game contains 2,106 dialogue blocks, containing 28,675 words and 152,697 characters, for an average of 13.6 words and 73 characters per block.

The game contains 33 menus, 800 images, and 17 screens.

So considering the number of choices you can make, there is a bit of replay value there, too, for anyone who wants to get all the encounters/conversations. ^_^

Feedback would be very welcome, specifically…

How did you feel the story handled the themes it presented?

Which character did you like the most/least and why?

Were there any parts you found jarring/confusing/just plain rubbish?

Were there any parts you particularly enjoyed or struck a chord with you?

Okay, well, I don’t have much more to add here. Now this demo is released, I’ll be spending the next few months finishing off writing/coding the character routes while ayachin works on the CGs. It’s too early yet to give a release date, but I’ll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
CG 8.jpg
CG7.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#25 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Now the second (and final) demo is posted for BFF, I've been continuing work and indulging in coding some of the more fun scenes later on in the game.

Here's a scene from Kara and Melody's friendship route (tsk tsk, Kara!), and the Abbey's Halloween party.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
werewolvesofGainsford.png
indaclub.png

blackcross12
Regular

#26 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Just a couple of CGs to share. It wasn't my intention, but it seems Rex is today's featured boy. ^_^

If anyone has any preference for which of Melody's potential romances I post next, please let me know.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
surprise.jpg
raining.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#27 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Just the usual progress update. I’ve got the last batch of sprites from ayachin and have been coding them in.

I thought I was done once the main sprites were finished, but I felt there were too many scenes where ‘grey’ sprites filled in for characters, so I found a little room in the budget for everyone that has more than one line of dialogue. Now it feels like a real school. ^_^

Below are screenshots featuring (in order of top down, left to right) Louisa - Lucas and Oliver - Natalie, Saanvi, and Penelope – and Hugh.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
Louisa.jpg
LucasandOliver.jpg
NatandSanandPen.jpg
Hugh.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#28 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

I've just received another batch of CGs from ayachin (thanks, aya! ^_^), so today's featured boy from Melody's potential romances is... Bradley!

I have a real soft-spot for Bradley for reasons made clearer in his route.

As for general progress, coding is slowly coming along - I'm not really focusing much on it right now, since I know there are still many (many) CGs left to finish (about 66 at current estimates) and I've been working on my other games.

At the moment, I'm looking at a Summer 2018 release date, so I'll probably step up work on BFF early next year.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
CG 181.png
CG16.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#29 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

It's that time again! Today's featured boy is Marcus. Of all the potential pairings, I always felt Marcus and Melody suited each other the best. ^_^

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, the Student Council shot from left to right goes: Melody, Marcus, Angus, Sebastian, Priti, Julie, Louisa and Oskar.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
CG 19.jpg
CG15.png

blackcross12
Regular

#30 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

It's been a while since the last post, so I felt it was time for an update. Work is progressing slowly on the CGs etc. but we're still on schedule for a Summer 2018 release. No featured boy this time, but I do have some CGs of Melody chilling with her friends, Kara and Susan.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
Kara.jpg
CG 28.jpg