Tokyo Dark [Adventure][Detective][Kickstarter]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SE_Toby

Tokyo Dark [Adventure][Detective][Kickstarter]

#1 Post by SE_Toby »

Post commented out until the demo is posted. - PyTom

Hi folks,

I think I'm posting this in the correct sub-forum, but I do apologize if I got it wrong. I work for Square Enix Collective - we're currently helping an indie dev team called Cherry Mochi go through Kickstarter with their adventure game/visual novel Tokyo Dark. The Kickstarter has gone really well so far and has just broken a 110k stretch goal to add Japanese voice actors.

I remember some people who previously really liked the look of Tokyo Dark mentioned they hang around these forums, so I figured I'd drop by, say hi and give you a heads up, as well as answer any questions you might have. As mentioned before, I'm only helping the team with the campaign and am no a dev myself, but I've spent a lot of time with the game/pitch. If there's enough interest I may also hopefully be able to get the actual dev team to spare some free time and drop by here too...

I've taken the below from the KS pitch and have tried to include the aspects of the game that I feel might be most interesting to you. If you want to find out more, I'd certainly recommend checking out the full pitch on Kickstarter.
Tokyo Dark is a 2D point & click adventure game. A twisting detective story featuring a multitude of choices, non-linear puzzle-solving, and a deep branching narrative exploring the darker underbelly of Tokyo.
Against the neon lights of Tokyo follow Detective Itō into the shadows....
Our inspiration for Tokyo Dark comes from many adventure, mystery and horror games of the past. Tokyo Dark blends the cinematic storytelling of Heavy Rain and Shenmue with 2D side scrolling point and click adventure games like Clocktower and The Blackwell Legacy, wrapped up in a beautiful anime art style.

We're also inspired by visual and kinetic novels such as Higurashi When They Cry and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. Tokyo Dark features dialogue choices and character interactions that affect your stats and change the outcome of the story. But unlike a visual novel you’ll control Detective Itō directly as you explore Tokyo, trying to balance your professional duty, personal life and sanity.

Features:
  • Branching story with 10 different endings
  • 4 to 6 hours per path
  • Multiple solutions to each puzzle
  • Player decisions influence social stats, which affect your interactions with others
  • Your choices have consequences to both your sanity and the people around you. How far will you go to solve the case?
A fusion of Western Point & click adventure games and Japanese visual novels.
In Tokyo Dark you'll find a diverse cast of characters, all with their own hidden agendas.
We've used real locations from around Tokyo as the inspiration for our 3D artwork to make Tokyo Dark's sidescrolling environments authentic and detailed.
Our multicultural team and experience of life in Japan gives us a unique cultural and design insight. Our approach to developing Tokyo Dark is to take the most interesting elements of Japanese design, style and interactive narrative and combine them with western game mechanics to create something new.
Apologies for the long post - as mentioned above, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the game if you'd prefer to discuss it here rather than in the KS comments.

For me personally the consequences of your actions are my favorite part. This update explains it really well. I know I'll be having problems with the Neurosis stat...

Neurosis [Repeating the same action more than once, speaking to characters after conversations have finished, randomly interacting with objects]
  • If Detective Itō becomes highly neurotic her sanity decreases faster and is harder to regain.
Personally, it'd also be quite interesting to hear what hardcore visual novels fans such as yourselves think of such genre-crossing games!

Thanks for reading! :)

Mikaren
Regular

Re: Tokyo Dark [Adventure][Detective][Kickstarter]

#2 Post by Mikaren »

Oh gosh!!! this look awesome >.<
\and look at that feature this game has!
hohooooohohohohohohohohohhoho just awesome
i'l keep an eye on this

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#3 Post by Rinima »

1. This looks awesome!

2. Hate to be the buzz-kill, but you need a demo to link to Kickstarter on here >.<
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

SE_Toby

#4 Post by SE_Toby »

Rinima wrote:1. This looks awesome!

2. Hate to be the buzz-kill, but you need a demo to link to Kickstarter on here >.<
Ah dang sorry about that :( I had a read through the sticky before posting to try and keep to the forum rules but it didn't mention a demo in the top post so I thought it was ok.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Rinima »

SE_Toby wrote:
Rinima wrote:1. This looks awesome!

Ah dang sorry about that :( I had a read through the sticky before posting to try and keep to the forum rules but it didn't mention a demo in the top post so I thought it was ok.
13.) Crowdfunding
Do not link to crowdfunding campaigns (including kickstarter or indiegogo campaigns) for visual novels or games unless those campaigns include a link to a nontrivial playable demo or a completed game by substantially the same team.
Sorry >.<

SE_Toby

#6 Post by SE_Toby »

Hum, silly me - should have checked the overall rules as well. Apologies for that. I'll ask the dev team is they are planning a demo anytime soon and can repost this topic if/when they do produce one.

If a moderator wants to delete/lock this topic in the meantime, I do apologize about the fuss and hope to be back at some point in the future :)

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#7 Post by HiddenCreature »

Very impressive. I love games that touch on psychological aspects. You don't see too many of those.

Since I'm trying to develop a game myself, may I ask you a question? How did this game produce such effective marketing? From what I've read, marketing is usually the deciding factor in kickstarters that do/don't reach their goals, and this game went well beyond their goal. Is it as simple as paying for advertisement, or contacting the right people?

Thank you

SE_Toby

#8 Post by SE_Toby »

HiddenCreature wrote: Since I'm trying to develop a game myself, may I ask you a question? How did this game produce such effective marketing? From what I've read, marketing is usually the deciding factor in kickstarters that do/don't reach their goals, and this game went well beyond their goal. Is it as simple as paying for advertisement, or contacting the right people?

Thank you
I can only tell you what I/we have noticed from my own experience, having worked with four previous successful Kickstarters: Moon Hunters, Black the Fall, Goetia, Halycon 6 and now Tokyo Dark as well. It's entirely possible that other people might have had other experiences or found different methods to be more effective and I'm happy to let myself be taught something new. :)

I think the answer isn't quite as straight forward as just dumping a load of money on advertisements. Rather, in my mind the most important thing you need before entering Kickstarter is a solid foundation - that is to say an active and engaged following. Very few Kickstarters that went on to be incredibly well funded just popped up out of nowhere and got funded instantly. The vast majority of them either had an existing (example Exploding Kittens) or atleast a dormant (Bloodstained) fanbase.

So, my advice would be: even now, while you're still ages away from entering crowdfunding, set up dedicated social channels and start gathering and engaging people who are interested in your project and would back it. This may initially be very piecemeal work and a bit of a slog, but it can eventually snowball, making it easier. At the same time, set up an email newsletter that your followers can subscribe to and that you can use to update them as well as eventually alert them to the crowdfunding launch.

These people will also be able to provide you essential feedback so that you can restructure your game or pitch prior to the KS campaign. The lesson to be learned here is: Stay true to your vision but listen to what people want. If there's a feature your community hates but you insist on keeping it in, chances are you'll be cutting yourself off from a lot of funds raised when potential backers complain about the same issue and keep their money. At the same time, giving in to every demand fans make will break you and leave your game a mess. So be savvy about how you grow your community and be willing to listen to them.

Another few reasons for having a pre-existing community are Momentum and Perception. If you already have an engaged following, the moment your Kickstarter goes live, most of those people will jump onto it. They don't need convincing. They've been following you for weeks/months. Even if they alone might not be enough to get you your full funding, they can get the ball rolling and when other people who frequent crowdfunding sites see how quickly your campaign is accumulating money, they're a lot more likely to jump in on it. People are far more likely to jump onto a crowdfunding campaign if it appears to definitely be getting funded rather than one that looks like it's limping along.

With regards to press - we've found that the big press sites most likely won't bother to write anything about your Kickstarter campaign (even when the press release comes from Square Enix) - and tbh - that's OK. The majority of people who frequent such sites (IGN etc.) wouldn't consider investing a dime in crowdfunding anyway. What you want to target is the smaller sites, particularly those dedicated to crowdfunding, as they're also far more interested in spreading good news for crowdfunding. Their readership is also a lot more receptive to such ideas of course. Equally, I think forums like this are a great place to meet like-minded people who will most certainly be interested in what you have to offer. It can also be quite a good tactic to get in touch with successful devs who have previously created games very similar to yours or from whom you take inspiration. These people often have a great following and just might be willing to share your message if they like what they see.

In terms of ads for marketing, I admit I have little experience here. The one thing I would mention is that occasionally when I see website ads for a Kickstarter and check the campaign out, the needle doesn't seem to really move very much at all, even when I monitor them over a period of time. Facebook advertising is another tough one. We've put money behind posts on Facebook and I don't think it's gotten us very far but it requires a bit more experimentation with targeting before judgement can be reached here.

One thing I would mention about social media: Facebook is a terrible 'free' marketing tool simply because it's not free. Thanks to Facebook's algorithm, only around 5% of your followers will ever see your news posts, unless you put money behind them to boost them. Thus Facebook can be very expensive for relatively little return. I firmly believe Twitter is a much better platform in that regard but again, you run the risk of missing people who aren't currently online. Which is why the newsletter is so important. :)

tl;dr?

- Grow your own community
- Build a newsletter mailing list
- Don't expect to make your Kickstarter a success by dumping a load of money on advertising if you don't have an existing fanbase/know for a fact that people would actually be interested in supporting your product.

Hope that helps :)

HiddenCreature
Regular

#9 Post by HiddenCreature »

Wow, that was tremendous help, thank you. :)

My original plan was to contact who I could for advertising, and see how well the kickstarter would fare. I thought it was too soon to consider developing a fan base.

Thanks again for your advice, I'm definitely going to apply it.

I look forward to buying this game, too. Really looks unique.

And keep your eyes peeled for my game, Vampires: The New Birth ;) I'm busting my butt to make sure it's a success, and with your advice, my chances just improved.

Thanks again

SE_Toby

#10 Post by SE_Toby »

No worries, glad I could help! :) Good luck for Vampires: The New Birth - I'll keep an eye out for it!

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#11 Post by Razz »

Was gonna back soon but seeing how charismatic your responses are on here I ran over to back right away, haha.

I'm am a little surprised your game is $15. It looks like you guys have a lot going for you gameplay wise.

Well anyways I hope your campaign reaches sky high with funding!

HiddenCreature
Regular

#12 Post by HiddenCreature »

Razz wrote:
I'm am a little surprised your game is $15. It looks like you guys have a lot going for you gameplay wise.
Shh! You'll make them change their minds. Lol!

SE_Toby

#13 Post by SE_Toby »

Just to round off the discussion here, I've chatted with the dev team with regards to a demo but they've decided that with the potential for further improvements to the game's art and animations, having an outdated demo floating around the internet could cause confusion when the final product gets released.

That being said, I'll make sure to tell them to drop by here once the full game is released :)

HiddenCreature
Regular

#14 Post by HiddenCreature »

Thanks for the update

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Rinima »

Shame there'll be no demo.
Just saying I've backed anyway, despite no demo~ Look forward to playing!