Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Commercial] - 1st DEMO/CONTEST!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
oasis-plus
Projects: Waxwing, Hocus Pocus Prince
Tumblr: hp-prince

Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Commercial] - 1st DEMO/CONTEST!

#1 Post by oasis-plus »

otome, romantic comedy, light fantasy/supernatural

Shy Violet never expected black magic to be real. Yes, she loves horror and the paranormal – the scarier, the better! And she’s even started her own Occult Club, though that just creeps her classmates out. But when a popular male student is cursed for real, even Violet doesn’t know what to do.

Now that Prince Not-So-Charming has transformed into a very strange ‘beast,’ it’ll take much more than a kiss to break the spell. Help Violet stop the curse, break out of her shell...and maybe even find new love (or at least new members for the Occult Club).

• PC + mobile ports
  • 3 love interests you can buy separately
  • Unique paths with different curse victims and new ‘beast’ forms
  • 5 CGs, 2 endings, and an unlockable extra chapter included in every path

Download Demo

The current demo (Version 0.5) is for Windows, Mac, and Linux and contains the entire prologue of the game. Later, we will release a second demo that previews the first chapter for each path and includes mobile (Android/iOS) ports.

Our heroine Violet (her name can be customized in the game)...

The three obtainable characters - Vincent, Ace, and Orion. Each of them can be cursed into a different form, which will be revealed later...

And some side characters...

Layla Blair
Violet’s best (and only) friend, who started the Occult Club with her last year. Layla is now studying abroad, and always seems to be getting in (well, more like causing) wacky kinds of trouble.

Dr. Cross
Violet’s single mom. Despite being a busy ER doctor, she has an easygoing attitude and a close relationship with her daughter.

Lucifer
Layla’s grumpy black cat, whom Violet is currently taking care of. Lucifer likes being fed on time and hates everything else.

Click the images to enlarge.

Image Image
Image Image

Click the images to enlarge.

Image Image
Image Image

Oasis Plus is a visual novel group created and founded by Bunpurr and Syncaidia. We focus on bringing you fun and creative visual novel games. We are also working on the fantasy otome game Waxwing.

Check out our social media links for our latest updates.

Tumblr
Twitter

We appreciate all feedback! We also have an optional survey.

1. Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile?

For Questions 2-4, please state if you are answering regarding PC or mobile games (or both).
2. How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)?
3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?

If you played the demo, let us know what you thought. Some optional questions to you get started:

5. What did you like about the demo?
6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
7. Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
8. Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
Last edited by oasis-plus on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Laluune
Regular

Re: Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Comedy][Commercial]

#2 Post by Laluune »

I love the concept and the style is really cute. Your logo is particularly eye-catching :)

1. For me with VNs I guess I prefer PC especially if there is a lot of text. Though generally everything I play is on a console. Your mocks show a landscape design, but at that level of detail it wouldn't really work on many mobile devices (iphone 6 plus sure, haha) and then there's taking on all the different resolutions. Though I think there are programs that do this for you now, I dunno.

2. If it's for mobile I generally expect to pay $3.99 (at most for a single route) I think I've paid up to $8.99 though... that was awhile ago, can't recall what game and it really depends of the length of the routes. I remember being disappointed for the $8.99 one because it turned out very short! I think it was like an hour :\ and it didn't really have any branching arcs I merely tapped through the dialog.

3. You can do it the way Hakuouki did it, you could pay for single routes or buy Premium which has all characters. That way players can get a taste of the story without forking over all the moneys.

4. I think I understand the question. One route divided into multiple? I wouldn't like that. If anything Chapter 1 for free, and a purchase to get to the rest of the route. Otherwise I'm forking out money to progress the story and that doesn't usually feel nice, unless you are doing freemium and it's all put behind time gates or a love gate or something (which I can tolerate to an extent).

E-night
Regular

#3 Post by E-night »

Well, both (an my answer below will cover both), a game like this I could easily see myself playing on my tablet, but also on the PC. Routes seem a more common feature on tablet though.

I don't. For tablet games it seems to be between 24 - 40 dkr (my tablet automatically changes the valuta, so...).

For full otome games not bought on my tablet I usually pay between 10 - 24 of the normal English valuta (dollars? It is embarrissing how little I know about this actually). Edit. If divided into routes I expect the Price of all the routes to reach between 10 -24, not the Price of each individual route to be so expensive.

3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?

I am fine with both approaches espically if it is basically three seperate stories as this. I do recommed selling the routes bundled with a discount and somehow make a prolog or free first chapter so people can get a taste of the individua routes (and characters involved in the routes)

4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?

No. Not if they are a part of the same story. I exepct the story I buy to be finished. (Though I do accept sequels).

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#4 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Oooh, the art is lovely. It's nice to see Oasis Plus with a new title~

For the survey: 1) PC, 2) I usually play free VNs unless there is something very special about it to incline me to spend, 3) All in one, 4) No, I'd rather have them in one bunch.

Honest Critique

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#5 Post by HiddenCreature »

I think it's financially safer to have all your character routes in one purchase. Only reason I can think to make them separate is if they're like episodes, with very distinctive routes and large play times. And even then, you're only making one at a time, they're not all readily available upon release.

I have mixed feelings because I don't know what the actual gameplay is. Is everything pure dialogue, or are there some forms of mini games?

Jate
Regular
Deviantart: Jate8D

#6 Post by Jate »

I love the artwork! And the gui is adorable.

I prefer PC, but I play more commerical games on mobile for the reason listed below.

Mobile wise 1 ~ 5 bucks. I really don't play a lot of commercial VNs on PC as they tend to be much more expensive than their mobile counterparts, but I'd say around 10.

I like the idea of buying them separately, as that way I get what I'm paying for if I don't go for every route. In your game's case, I wouldn't be interested in Ace, and would only want to play the other two, so having the option of not paying for him would be nice.

Personally, I only buy a story if I'm getting a full story, so this option wouldn't interest me. The exception is if the first part is free and you pay to unlock the rest, as a sort of demo. But paying for multiple segments is not something I'd go for.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#7 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Oh commercial otome? Count me in!

Both really. I enjoy the flexibility of mobile for my I-Phone, but am lacking non-Japanese titles for my PC.

For visual novels, I haven't spent over $15 (English title) for a PC without add ons like the soundtrack, art books, etc. For mobile per route, $3.99-$8.99. For a whole set, $30ish. This $30ish or so is very rare unless I trust the company (NTT Solmare basically), or it's a pretty huge deal like when Hakuouki got a mobile port.

SEPARATELY please. I cannot stress this enough for mobile releases. I do not like the pay as you go system of the "free" to plays, and am very very wary of buying all character routes if I've never played something, and I often don't enjoy all of the options so would rather not purchase that one if I can. Buying bundles is good but I usually only do that if I've played the free prologue, enjoyed what I brought, and want to further support the company. PC games I expect a demo or I rarely purchase. I'm also not a big spender when it comes to games though %95 of my game purchases are PC based for similar reasons to above.

Does this mean free to play but you have to wait? Or, buy gems, etc.? If so, this doesn't interest me but expect some complaints if a "free" version isn't out on mobile from some.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

oasis-plus

#8 Post by oasis-plus »

Thank you for all the feedback!
Regarding our questions and based on the replies, we have decided to sell the game by character path. This way, you can pick and choose which paths you wish to play.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

Think about how to portray the main character. Should she come across as a blank slate? Should she be a individual with a distinct personality? Should the reader be able to define her through actions? I think all three options can be interesting.
Laluune wrote: 3. You can do it the way Hakuouki did it, you could pay for single routes or buy Premium which has all characters. That way players can get a taste of the story without forking over all the moneys.
That story is sold on Google Play as a complete package, or as individual routes. As a customer who sometimes purchases mobile games, I appreciate being able to choose how much content I want.

Fujihime
Regular
Projects: Purrfectly Ever After
Tumblr: purrfectlyeverafter

#10 Post by Fujihime »

Mobile!

For Questions 2-4, please state if you are answering regarding PC or mobile games (or both).
Mobile - USD3.99 for main story and depends if I like the story or not to buy the epilogues.

It really depends but I'm used to paying per character route cuz I tend to favour a certain character from a game.

I prefer to read everything comfortably without disrupting the flow of the story.

The concept and drawings all look cute! Ganbatte!
An otome game about a burglar cat who wish to become human to earn an honest living.
Kickstarter | Steam Greenlight | Tumblr

SNSeed

#11 Post by SNSeed »

1. Always PC, I never bother with mobile otome games

2. I am happy to pay 10-15 dollars for a PC visual novel/otome. If it's any higher than that, I expect it to take quite some time to finish.
3. I would rather have them all. I don't always do everyone's paths but I like the option to do them all if I am interested or just really like the game.
4. No, I wouldn't.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#12 Post by AntiquedFae »

Just dropping by to say...oh my goodness if ever there was an otome game made for me then this would be it! I love the MC so, so much and can't wait to see how she's written. I'm thinking I will relate very well to her...
The plot sounds intriguing as well, and I like the very slight hinted at horror element with the beast forms, while still being an otome. I'm looking forward to trying this out and discovering more about the story. It looks really cute and quirky!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

rmt_2011
Regular
Projects: Lacrimosa ~ Nightmare Terror, Deceptive Dreams
Deviantart: Pie-inator

#13 Post by rmt_2011 »

This seems pretty interesting

PC
For PC I paid from $10-30 (technically $60 but that's because it was a 2 game bundle) before but it really depends on the story length and quality
The only mobile otome I ever bought was the Hakuoki premium but that's only because I love the game too much. I usually avoid mobile games
I really don't like separate routes. I would rather pay more and have an entire game since a lot of the time all the routes together uncover the story fully
Although I don't like it when routes are sold separately, it's best if it's the entire route and not parts of it that is sold. It would frustrate me when I get stopped half way through a route

oasis-plus

#14 Post by oasis-plus »

Thank you once again to everyone who is providing us feedback, it is very helpful!

We are working on putting together a Kickstarter in order to implement more original content and rewards for HPP. A demo and video will be put up together with the KS.

Hungry for some CGs? Have a cupcake that’s out of this world! Teaser for Orion’s intro in Hocus Pocus Prince, which will be in our upcoming demo.

oasis-plus

#15 Post by oasis-plus »

We had a question earlier about the gameplay. Though most of Hocus Pocus Prince is a normal visual novel, we're also planning some small minigames.

Here is a preview of the detective minigame in Vincent’s route. Search locations and question suspects to find the culprit behind the curse!