Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Commercial] - 1st DEMO/CONTEST!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
oasis-plus
Projects: Waxwing, Hocus Pocus Prince
Tumblr: hp-prince

Re: Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Comedy][Commercial]

#16 Post by oasis-plus »

This week’s update – a teaser of the Ace CG that will be shown in the demo/prologue. We are also working on implementing character voices for our Kickstarter promo video.

oasis-plus

#17 Post by oasis-plus »

Here’s a sneak peek of our main menu for Hocus Pocus Prince. There is also a second version that has the cursed forms of each boy.

Speaking of cursed forms, we will be having a fun little guessing game soon! If you can correctly guess what the boys will transform into (based on our hints), you may win a free copy of their route!

Please check back for the start of the contest next week!

oasis-plus

#18 Post by oasis-plus »

Hey everybody! In last week’s update, we mentioned that we would be having a contest to win free routes of our game. We’ve decided to hold off on the contest for another week to bring you something even better - our first demo for Hocus Pocus Prince!

The demo will feature the entire prologue (~14k words/1 hour long) and introduces all the main characters. It should be out by this Friday (July 31), so please check back then.

Until then, here are a few more screenshots. You can see that the Occult Club is a big fan of black cats!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#19 Post by AntiquedFae »

Ooh, super excited for the demo!! :D I can't wait to meet the characters!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

oasis-plus

#20 Post by oasis-plus »

AntiquedFae wrote:Ooh, super excited for the demo!! :D I can't wait to meet the characters!
Glad to hear you are looking forward to it! Right now, we are just doing some last minute checks, so the demo should be up later today. :D

oasis-plus

Re: Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Comedy][Commerical] - 1st DEM

#21 Post by oasis-plus »

The first demo for Hocus Pocus Prince is out at
http://oasis-plus.itch.io/hocus-pocus-prince!
This demo (Version 0.5) is for Windows, Mac, and Linux and contains the entire prologue of the game. Later, we will release a second demo that previews the first chapter for each path and includes mobile (Android/iOS) ports.

We appreciate your feedback, so please let us know what you think here, on Tumblr, or by email (oasis.plus13@gmail.com). Here are some optional questions to get you started:
  • What did you like about the demo?
  • What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
  • Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
  • Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
Thanks for your input, and we hope you enjoy Hocus Pocus Prince!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#22 Post by AntiquedFae »

I just finished playing the demo, and I'm very much looking forward to this game! My haphazard notes are pretty hugely embarrassing, but I'll post them here anyway. Hopefully someone at least finds them entertaining.

-Everything is so pretty and shiny and oooh what’s this button do! -cough-

-Violet, you are hilarious

-Lucifer is best Lucifer cat since Disney Cinderella movie in 1950s

-Aww, poor Violet. I feel you.

-Toilet paper!!! I can’t breathe!

Typo: reexamine → re-examine looks less confusing

Typo: ‘my heart just isn’t into it’ into→ in

Typo: “in a creepy Lord Bryon way’ Bryon→ Byron, I think you meant.

(Through the rest of this I was far too absorbed in the story to write down any comments)

-What is this Spanrenchman this person is attempting to speak?

Typo: “...It also symbolizes someone who is manipulative and ruthless to get what they want.” Should be ‘manipulative and ruthless in getting what they want.’

-#666. Naturally.

-Oh right. I’m never that lucky. Indeed.

-I love this game. Oh yes I do.

For the last two questions, I'd be interested in purchasing Orion's route for certain, but I'm also really interested in Vincent. I'm very curious about both of their opinions on Violet. Ace is the character I like the least as far as likeability goes, but I think he's hilarious (at the best of times; infuriating at the worst) and learning more about who he actually is could prove interesting. Basically, I'd possibly be interested in buying them all, but Orion is my first pick. I always go for the anti-social mysterious gothic geeks. But all of the boys are very interesting and unique characters, and I look forward to getting to know them better. And seeing their monster forms, and unravelling the mystery.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

xdzumux
Tumblr: thatbeme

#23 Post by xdzumux »

1. Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile?
I prefer PC.
2. How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)?
I usually play free but there was this one VN that I was really interested in and payed around $10
3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
All in one game.
4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
I like it more if it's all in one go. I don't like the whole play a bunch then stop to buy more. Either it's all free in one go or buy full game. I never liked the idea of the "episodes" route.
5. What did you like about the demo?
First of all, let me just say AMAZING JOB. This is the most visually appealing demo ever. Before I go into specifics, I like the idea that you can name your saved slots. I was so interesting and unique to me.
Story:
I admit I don't exactly know where it would go after the club fair, but I know there is SO MANY opportunities waiting and I am so excited. It was a solid prologue. Solid character impressions. The girl we play as is so interesting and unique to me. I would love to know more about her as we see her interact with the boys. I was really drawn to Vincent in his first impression and I was thrown off so much when he said he didn't like the girl. I'm already emotionally invested in this story. Loved the humor scenes.
Characters:
Love them all honestly. All unique people. The first impressions gave us an impression of who the guys are (their personality and etc.) also a hint at their hidden personality.
Artwork:
BEAUTIFUL. EVERYTHING WAS SO PRETTY. I love the changing facial expressions and the characters are all so breath taking. You did an amazing job. Good menu page and functions. I liked the part where we read the letter from her friend. That was so cool how you showed the actual letter and writing.
Music:
Perfect
6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
After you pick the boy that you wish to pursue, I wasn't sure what the storyline was going to be after. Like I get the idea that it could just be school drama or running into each other, but I was wondering if there was supposed to be a "problem" (other than the girl not having any friends in school).
7. Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
Vincent
8. Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
Nothing I can think of at the moment. But great job!!!!

Elextra
Projects: Ookami Princess

#24 Post by Elextra »

PC since I have a lot of otome games on my tablet already.

For Questions 2-4, please state if you are answering regarding PC or mobile games (or both).
On mobile otome games, the most I've payed for a route is$4.99 and the cheapest $3.99. I don't mind either price (as long as the writing is good)
For PC games, the most I've payed is around $20 - $25 and the least is around $7. Again, I don't mind paying that much if the VN or otome game took a lot of work and it worked out in the end.

3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
I would rather buy character routes separately because usually I only like a couple of guys it has. Like, let's say a VN/otome has 5 romance-able characters. I would probably like 2 or 3. I would still buy the whole game though if it interested me.

4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
If it's an option, then I wouldn't mind it being added for other people but if it's the only option, then no.

ElectraPop

#25 Post by ElectraPop »

As a huge fan of the occult and horror myself, this feels like the sort of otome game I've been dreaming of. :lol:

Both are fine by me, but I do prefer PC.
I've paid up to USD$20 for PC games, and usually when I've bought games on mobile, they have been the common UD$3.99 per route.
Both options are completely fine by me.
Yes, deffinitely! I like to marathon routes when I play otome games so, yes.

Demo questions:

Ah, can I say everything? ---It left a very good first impression on me, plus the game sure looks gorgeous. It does really feel like a very refreshing idea for an otome game, and just I love that the heroine is such a relatable girl with anxiety, socially awkward and yet pasionate on what she likes--plus her character design is very cute. Also, I think boys leave an impression when you meet them, with the interations given in the demo, there is something that actually makes you want to find out more about them, I like that!
6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
Hmm, I think there is always room for improvement in general, I think it depends on the kind of final product you are aiming to make here.
Vincent--I was left with the big question on why does he even dislike the heroine? I'm very curious lol
Can't think of anything yet, but I suppose I expect the game to have a tiny bit of a spooky factor to it maybe?

Anyways, congrats on the release of the demo!! Keep on the good work, I am so looking forward for this game!! :)

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#26 Post by kitsubasa »

I played through the demo a little earlier, and what you've got so far is really cool and polished! : D

What did you like about the demo?

I think the art style and the GUI for the game are nice and appropriate for the plot/tone so far, and I like the character designs for Orion, Vincent, and the protagonist. I enjoy the protagonist's personality a lot, and I related to her trouble convincing people that horror movies and the occult are cool. The menus for the game are well-designed, and I like the fact that you can jump to the scene each CG appears in from the CG page -- neat feature! I imagine it'll be very handy when there's more of the game available. Lastly, I'm intrigued by Orion's taciturn personality and Vincent's dislike of the protag. I definitely want to play both their routes and find out more about them.

What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?

I think Ace's outfit is nice, but his hair is drawn a little strangely -- I think the lower half of it should be in thicker strands, and they could be arranged better around his shoulders (though that might just be my personal opinion!). I also think the demo should have included a little more of the game than it did; not just as a matter of 'I want the full thing now!', but also because when your premise is 'occult girl deals with boys turning into monsters', it feels weird to cut off before we actually see what's happened to them. You've mentioned the first chapter of each path will be available in a second demo later, so this issue will presumably be remedied then, but for now I feel like this demo cut off just before the hook -- which was kind of a bummer! : (

Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?

Orion and Vincent.

Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?

I'd love to see more of Layla and the protag's mum in the full game -- they both seem cool from the little glimpses of them we got at the beginning! I'm also really looking forward to an explanation on why Vincent dislikes the protag.

Overall, I really liked this demo, I was just a little disappointed that it ended without showing what happened to the boys and where the game would be going from there. I'm excited to see more of this project! Orion's chapter 1 is going to be my first port of call once it's available. : D

erinselysion
Tumblr: tchicaikanou

#27 Post by erinselysion »

I played the demo just now and I really enjoyed it!

I like them both equally, but I usually prefer longer games on PC, and play shorter ones on mobile. I'd say it depends on how long the team wants to make the game. I don't like to put a game (or book) down until the plot-point I'm at is resolved.

For 2-4, both.
For mobile, I've paid up to $27 (the Hakuoki mobile port) but for specific routes, $5-$7. For PC games I've paid up to $40 before, but it depends on if I think the features/the work going into them are worth the price. If something looks really really good and I want it, I'd pay more.

For PC I'd rather it be a bundle for all character routes, but for mobile I'd say separately. Usually I play one route, my friends play the others, and if each others' impressions seem good, we buy the other ones eventually.

I can't say that I'd definitely use the feature, but I definitely think it'd be a useful feature to implement, yes. As long as the option to buy the whole route for a higher price than the individual parts was there too.

If you played the demo, let us know what you thought. Some optional questions to you get started:

I liked that I got a good glimpse at what Violet is like! I was surprised at how relate-able her feelings were to my own. I have social anxiety so I understood what she felt like a lot. Her dialogue felt really realistic and it didn't break the atmosphere at all.

The transitions made the game lag to the point it wasn't doing anything at all. I'm not sure if that's just because my computer is old and clunky, or if that's an actual issue with the game, though. No other Ren'py game has done that before though. I turned the transitions off and it worked fine afterwards.

I think all of them, actually. I'm most attracted to Orion, but I'd like to see how Violet and Vincent and Ace resolve the rocky impressions they have of each other. Since I already mentioned I have social anxiety, though, I'm sure Violet won't be enjoying much of their interactions at the beginning. She has my sympathy!

I'd like to see what Layla looks like, in a photo CG or a sprite or something. I'm glad Violet has at least one good friend by her side.

Ringmaster

#28 Post by Ringmaster »

1. Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile?
I prefer to play on PC for visual novel games and will be answering further questions from a PC standpoint.

2. How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)?
Probably around $10-15. If it's a very long game (like Dandelion levels of long), probably no more than $35.

3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
I would much rather have them all in one game.

4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
I would prefer that all routes be released at the same time. If individual routes are sold separately, I tend to prefer games that provide the first chapter free as a sort of demo and then sell the rest of the route altogether.

5. What did you like about the demo?
Violet is a very relatable and endearing character, the art is lovely all-around, and the GUI is really well-designed. The story is really refreshing for an otome game. As someone who is a little familiar with occult stuff, I can tell that you definitely did your research and I appreciate that. When Violet pulled the Devil and Death tarot cards and panicked about how to explain them to a newcomer, I was like YES FRIEND I KNOW THAT STRUGGLE :'D .Sometimes when games include occult concepts, things are misrepresented or straight up incorrect, so it's really cool to find a game where you actually took the time to research it from a practical, modern standpoint. ­It was funny reading Ace's lines, knowing French (“wait did you just call me a pig?!??”). I think it's a really fun character detail that he uses and mixes phrases from several different languages. All of the character introductions were great and left a clear impression of their personalities.

6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
This is a relatively small detail, but I actually would've liked Violet's mother to show more facial expressions. Her lines were pretty sardonic and funny, but she just smiled normally the whole time which felt kind of weird.

7. Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
Orion, mostly. I'm also pretty interested in Vincent because he's a cutie but why does he hate me??? what did we ever do to him?? I'm not really interested in Ace due to his arrogance, but would play his route anyway in hopes of seeing him get some level of comeuppance.

8. Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
I expect that it will be great and I'm really looking forward to it!

bloodband

#29 Post by bloodband »

I've been watching this for a while as I super duper love monsters(especially humans turned monster and vice versa) and have been intrigued by the premise. Most things I'm wondering about would probably be answered in the full demo(namely what their cursed forms are) but I fully understand it's being kept secret for the guessing game that's going to happen. I also have to say I am completely stumped as to what their cursed forms would be. Whether it would be based on their appearance, their personalities... I can't tell!

Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile?
PC 100%. I don't have a phone that can play games on it.

How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)?
For games that are digital only, I'd say up to 20$. This is so very dependent upon how much story/how long the game is, how many different routes there are, whether it's pure VN or not... Games that have added features like a built in battle system, mini-games or something like that I don't mind paying extra for. Probably around 30-35$ for much longer games with more routes and features.

Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
I would much rather buy all in one. It might be because I have never played mobile otome games, but buying separate routes doesn't appeal to me. Even if I don't like all the guys I still enjoy playing all the routes as I feel it's the only way to get the full story and see everything the creators intended for the characters.

Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
I don't even understand what this means. If it's like buying routes or chapters separately? Then no. If I am going to buy something I want to be able to buy the whole thing at once and enjoy it all at once.

What did you like about the demo?
The GUI is very very nice. It's cute and well designed. The MC is also adorable, I can't even stand to rename her. She really feels like her own unique character which makes me happy. Being able to name save files is very handy. The sprites blinking was also a nice touch. The game has good pacing and I'm interested in all the characters from what little we saw of them. Even if I am only interested in Orion romantically, Ace and Vincent still seem like fun and I want to get to know them on their routes also.

What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
I agree with a previous mentioned comment that Ace's hair is a bit too thin. Some more thickness added to it and it would be perfect.

Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
Orion is the only one I have an actual interest in but I'd still prefer to have them all to experience everything.

Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
I can't think of anything except... if the guys are ever shirtless don't forget the man-nipples! Nothing bothers me more than that. I'm only half-serious. :3

Really looking forward to the full game, it's looking great~

oasis-plus

#30 Post by oasis-plus »

A big thanks to everyone who has tried the first demo and shared your thoughts! We’ve been wowed by the support for Hocus Pocus Prince so far, and everyone’s feedback has been extremely helpful.

Some updates and clarifications
  • Some of you have noticed that the first demo ends before the curse is revealed. This is because we are planning to hold a contest for people to guess the cursed forms of each boy (and win free copies of their route). Please look forward to the start of the contest in another week!
  • A second demo that previews the first chapter of each route (and reveals all the cursed forms) will be released sometime after the contest.
  • Based on the feedback we’ve received so far, it looks like we will release each route separately (for mobile and maybe also PC), and then compile all routes together into a full game (for PC only?).
  • The route release order will most likely be Vincent, Orion, then Ace. These routes are completely unique, standalone stories that you can play in any order you like.
  • If these first three routes do well, there are several more routes we are considering adding (including a GxG route).
As always, we love hearing from you guys, so feel free to let us know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Replies to comments

AntiquedFae
We had a lot of fun reading your comments! Thanks for catching those typos (you’re right, Bryon should definitely be Byron!), and we’ll make sure to fix all those errors for the next build. And yes, Ace is quite a jerk at first, but perhaps that’s what makes him amusing?

xdzumux
We are very relieved to hear that the demo was visually appealing! We will continue to work our very best to keep the quality good and consistent. We’ll also be releasing a second demo that will include the first chapter of each character path, which should explain the plot further. The main conflict is that each boy is cursed into a different form by black magic (similar to Beauty and the Beast or the Frog Prince), and the MC has to figure out how to break the curse.

Elextra
Thanks for your feedback, and we will definitely keep those formats and price ranges in mind.

ElectraPop
Thank you for playing the demo and answering our survey. We’re glad you found the MC relatable (and cute!), and we’ll continue trying our best to improve the game.

kitsubasa
We were uncertain if the UI add-on features would be useful or not, so we’re really glad you liked them. Our effort on the UI didn’t go to waste! As for Ace’s hair, we’ll look into it and try our best to fix it in the future scenes.

We actually cut this demo off before the curse was revealed because we were planning to hold a contest for people to guess the cursed forms of each character. The second demo, which we will release after the contest, will reveal all the cursed forms. We hope you will be able to try it as well.

As for Layla and the MC’s mom, they will definitely appear again. We haven’t decided Layla’s image yet, though, so if you have any suggestions on what you imagine her appearance/sprite to look like, please let us know.

erinselysion
Thanks for playing the demo and answering our survey. We’re very glad Violet is relatable! Some of our team members have social anxiety as well, so Violet is based on their experience. We were a little worried that would turn people off, so it’s a relief to know that’s not the case.

We’re very sorry that our game made your computer lag! May we ask what type of computer and OS you are using? We will try our best to look into the issue.

A few people have asked about Layla’s appearance, so we’ll try drafting ideas for her in the near future. Do you have any suggestions on what you imagine her to look like?

Ringmaster
We’re very glad you liked the art and UI. We did do research into occult concepts and different languages for Ace, so it’s great that you caught onto those details! Thanks also for your feedback on the Mom sprite. We will definitely go back and try to give her additional expressions.

bloodband
You are completely right that we are holding off on full demo for the guessing game (it’s really great that you’ve been following our updates!) We will give some hints for the cursed forms later, so hopefully it will make the guessing a little easier. Not sure if we’ll have any shirtless scenes, but we will keep your advice in mind. ;)

Since we had a few feedbacks about Ace’s hair now, we will definitely consider this in any future artwork featuring him.