Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Commercial] - 1st DEMO/CONTEST!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Strawberry

Re: Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Comedy][Commerical] - 1st DEM

#31 Post by Strawberry »

1. Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile?
I like both.

For Questions 2-4, please state if you are answering regarding PC or mobile games (or both).

2. How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)?
Usually around $20 for PC visual novels — and no more than $5 for the mobile ones [unless I'm buying a route with sequel bundles then it's usually around $8-$10]

3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
I would rather buy character routes separately on both PC/Mobile. In my opinion, specific character routes makes the story more personal and fun. Everything becomes about you and the character you picked — not you and 5 other people you don't even really like.

4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
If it's an option, why not?

If you played the demo, let us know what you thought. Some optional questions to you get started:

5. What did you like about the demo?
I liked it so much that this questionnaire is my first post on this forum. I already adored it when I read the summary. While playing it I was trying to take my sweet time reading everything very slowly and carefully since I knew I couldn't simply buy the story afterwards. Luce is too cute for words. Honestly, it was short and sweet — and it did its job as a Demo, it made me want to buy the game. If there was an option to buy a character right now, I definitely would have.

6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
I'm assuming the characters being standoffish is purposely done to pique our interest [+ story line], but Ace in particular needs more appealing qualities so that people are actually willing to pick/buy him. This might just be my personal preference but even though I prefer Vincent, Orion did a good job at making me want to play through his story line too. However, I didn't feel like that at all with Ace. He reminds me of a less likable version of Tamaki from Ouran Host Club. I hope this isn't too harsh ;-; I just want each character has their own special appeal, and it seems like Ace's is slacking on that a bit.

[ahh, I feel mean now. I don't like critiquing things, even fictional characters. ; ;]

7. Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing?
Vincent, I'm really curious about him. I'm interested to see how different he will be once he starts getting along with the MC.

8. Any other expectations or wishes for the full game?
I don't really know what else to add, but I'm really excited for this game and I really wish I could play right now

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#32 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Ah can't wait! Will download soon ^^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Arkhane
Regular

#33 Post by Arkhane »

Hello,

1) PC only!

2) I just started with Seduce Me the Otome and fell in love with this type of game. So free is my answer:D
And no idea of the costs

3) Out of curiosity all of them of course

4) Absolutly not! (thanks to other posts that helped me to understand the question :3) I prefer to have the full story at once

5)I really love the fact that the demo is in one piece: We're not under the impression that you've just picked the interesting fragments of the game, put them in a shaker and call the result a demo.
The humour within the game is really great.
The attitude of the guys are really differents and suit well their outsides
Their tempers are well-done especially this bright-smile guy, he's so full of himself that you want to punch him!! That's not the easiest way to seduce him though !! X)
The love story between the cat and the toilet paper reminds me of something -.-'.
This is a long list but I enjoyed playing this demo.

6) Now for the other side
During the meeting with Vince, I got lost while speeking of differents horror films. But I don"t know how it can be improved since it shows his taste for them.
Another point that bugs me : except from Orion, the other too really treated her lowly so I really don't understand how she could forgive them so easily and act in such a mature way as if it was nothing. Remember she was crying less than 5 min ago.So the situation seems a little awkward to me. But between Vince and Ace the latest is the worst, he really lacks something that makes you want to choose him. Eg : I'm not fond of the "Cochonnet", "Princesse" (if you want it in French) or something like this feels better in his mouth.
It'd be nice if the words spoken and the ones only in the characters minds are written in a much different ways : the italic and not italic are quite identical.

7) Orion, but I'm also interested in the other routes since I want to see what lies beyond the masks. So yeah a full game with all the routes seems the best for me.

8 )Yes! Have it realeased right now !!! Not possible? Too bad ! :(

Thanks for your hard work :3

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#34 Post by Parataxis »

Huh, well that went a little differently than I expected. But Let's see. Answering Questions.

I would probably play on PC, but I am not sure I have the right mobile platform.

I don't have a huge amount of experience for PC visual novels--I've basically only bought one and that was on sale, but I would not see anything wrong with paying $10-15 dollars, maybe even $20 for a longer game. (I come from the hand-held videogame market though so it's generally a bit different)

3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game?
I would personally prefer to have them all in one game because I would want to see all the characters before I picked who I was pursuing. But something like this Demo that ended with purchase options would not be a terrible system if that's what you want to do.

4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)?
I personally would prefer the one and done approach, but this is partially because I am in the peculiar position of being financially secure but having a great number of limits on my time. Thus I would probably balk at the hassle of buying piecemeal. I can imagine other people might feel differently.

If you played the demo, let us know what you thought. Some optional questions to you get started:

I liked the visual design quite a bit, and I also liked the main character and her struggle to be assertive. She wasn't just wallowing, which is easy to fall into with this sort of character, and it really made me feel for her because she was actually trying hard and doing the right thing but it still didn't work out.

6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos?
I didn't notice any typos but I'm not very sensitive to that sort of thing. One think I did notice was the complete lack of choices before you picked which route you were on. Normally I am okay with a more kinetic novel approach but there were a couple of points that really felt like they were build to give the audience a choice (even one which just switches up the dialog a bit) but then the text just kept going. It weirded me out a bit.

So I HATED Ace. With a passion. And I know that you're sort of supposed to hate him a bit, but like, the level to which he repulsed me Maaay be indicative of something. Here is the actual skype log while I was playing this demo:
[7:48:54 PM] Me: Haha even the Tarot cards are showing how bad news this guy is
[7:49:51 PM] Me: DICK
[7:50:24 PM] Me: Can I like, curse him or something?
[7:50:40 PM] Me: What is the opposite of pursuing some one romantically
[7:50:42 PM] Me: ah yes
[7:50:46 PM] Me: VENGENCE
[7:51:00 PM] Friend: stabbing
[7:51:10 PM] Friend: is the opposite of pursuing one romantically
[7:51:22 PM] Me: Oooo Stabbing. I could do with some stabbing
[7:51:51 PM] Me: Oh hey he's a shallow dick too
[7:52:08 PM] Me: Where is the "stab this dick" option
Then later on:
[7:59:05 PM] Me: Is there something more extreme than stabbing?
[7:59:15 PM] Me: Can I like
[7:59:22 PM] Me: round house kick him to the face
[7:59:24 PM] Me: that's just like
[7:59:44 PM] Me: up+b+turn joystick right
Then Finally
[8:12:12 PM] Me: I picked a man and he exploded
[8:15:47 PM] Friend: was it asshat
[8:16:09 PM] Me: No! If I had known he would explode I totally would have picked Asshat

The other two were both interesting enough to me, though I ended up picking Orion's route for my demo choice, but that was more a tossup. I would probably have BOUGHT Vincent first though if I was investing in the routes separately.

I would expect more choices probably. And I would hope to have more communication with Layla. I like to think there's more going on there.

himenos
Tumblr: sendoufutaba

#35 Post by himenos »

I recently played the demo because of a friend, and first of all I want to say I absolutely loved it and I'm really looking forward to the full version!

Depends on how long the story is, but with commercial games it's easier to play on mobile when it comes to cost.

For Questions 2-4, please state if you are answering regarding PC or mobile games (or both).
I'll be answering for both.

On mobile, I usually pay around £5 ($7.75) at most for a single route, that's been my most expensive purchase, but I'd be willing to pay more depending on length. For PC otome the most expensive one I've bought has been ~£34 (~$52.68) but again, I'd pay more depending on length.

For PC I'd prefer a bundle, but for mobile route by route would be easier.

I think that would be a convenient and accessible option, though I'd suggest the option of having a way to purchase the full route at once as well.

Something I really loved right off the bat was the interface! Everything looked so clean and easy to navigate. Aside from that, Violet was an absolute darling and I want nothing but good things for her. Her friendship with Layla particularly stood out to me, it was really lovely to see that. I also loved how unique the characters all were (even if there's a couple I could punch for making Violet upset), and the pacing was natural and I was incredibly disappointed when I reached the end of the demo.

Ace's attitude. Nothing I could pick up, everything worked very smoothly for me.

Orion is in first place for being the only person not on the shitlist who wasn't incredibly mean to Violet, Vincent's issue with Violet has my curiousity piqued, and I'd like to know the reason why Ace is so... Well, Ace. All three of them interest me in some way, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the curse affects them and how Violet aids in the following storylines. I'm hoping to warm up to them all more over the course of the full game.

Whack-an-Ace minigame. I'd very much like to see Layla at some point! And more Lucifer. Best cat.

acomputergirl

#36 Post by acomputergirl »

1. Prefer PC

(PC)
2. Anywhere up to $15-$20, but typically less than $10.
3. All in one game
4. Maybe, I've never played a game that had that option

5. I liked the graphics and the informative descriptions of the main characters. The twists in the plot were different and it was interesting that none of the guys seem to really like Violet right now.

6. Nothing too much, but it was kind of depressing to feel so alone at school with no one physically there to talk to that's on your side. That definitely could change after this first part.

7. Orion and Vincent for sure. Ace possibly.

8. Just waiting to see all the characters fully fleshed out and hopefully give Violet some positive outcomes.

tarunarei
Completed: This, Soul
Projects: Signed and Sealed with a Kiss, Mizari Loves Company, Reflections
Organization: Reine Works
Tumblr: tarunart
Deviantart: tarunarei

#37 Post by tarunarei »

Honestly, I'd prefer PC for my otome games. While playing on the mobile is convenient, I prefer to sit down and fully immerse myself in an otome game-which is best with a bigger screen. Of course, I'd still play on mobile if that's really the only option.

PC - Since most otome PC games are full games, I usually don't mind paying something around $20 to $30. HOWEVER most of the games I DO play on PC are either free or name your own price.

mobile - I think I usually pay $2.99 for each route? Though, if there's a bundle deal like 3 routes for $6/7 and I'm interested in all the routes, I'd go for it.

Depends on the characters themselves and how interesting their routes seem to me. For most mobile games, I'm barely interested in maybe one or two routes so I usually just buy theirs, but for games that look good all around, I'd love the option to buy them all in one game (I did this with Alice no kuni!). With this game, I definitely would love to play all three of the main guys' routes!

NO, that would be so annoying! I've noticed this kind of trend happening in mobile games and it just feels like a grab for money! I suppose it might be nice for some people if they realize they don't like a certain character part way through, but if there's a free demo and a free beginning of each route, I don't see any reason for this. I wouldn't have a problem with it if there was still the option to buy the entire route in one go, but HAVING to buy in cheaper parts would be very irritating I think.

Well, I really liked it and I'm super excited for the finished game, so I think it's a big success! I think the main heroine's struggle and character hits extremely close to home for me, so she is extremely relatable and realistic feeling (especially when Ace wins the argument with Violet on stage! Of course Violet isn't going to be able to show him up right away-the defeat feels very realistic). Even for people that don't relate, I still think she's very likable and people can still understand certain aspects of her struggle. The intro was very good in first introducing the main girl and showing what the protagonists' biggest inner conflict is going to be for the entirety of the game. The story flows very smoothly and natural. Each bachelor's introductory scene very effectively lays out each characters personality and serves to pique my interest for their stories (I'm dying to know why Vincent hates Violet! And what's with those looks Orion!?) while at the same time distinctly explaining Violet's struggle in each interaction. I also liked how each interaction was distinctly different scenes but none of them seemed to overshadow each other. The actual voting at the end had me screaming in agony at how awkward Violet must feel (I can relate way to well with her) and served as a very fun and cool way to choose a character route. Having the bachelor react and then suddenly disappear right at the end of the demo was the perfect place to cut it off! I also love the foreshadowing (like Ace's king card turning out true-which means his death and devil card must also be foreshadowing - I'm so excited to know what it means!)
Other than story and characters, I think the art is very pretty and the interface is simple and cute. The music also seemed nice to me. I'm really very excited for this game to come out!

Nothing comes to mind right away. I don't recall any bugs or typos. I think perhaps the very very beginning scene that introduces Violet could perhaps use improving though? Her room is a fairly plain back drop as she's using her incantations and doesn't really make me feel extremely impressed or hooked right away. I think something simple like a full CG of her sitting on the ground with chalk and candles might be just enough to make it seem cool. I think if it looked cool and kinda mysterious with moonshine glistening and everything, it might make a very cool impression and then humorous when she suddenly messes up.
Also, I'm sure Layla will show up again somehow right? I know in a lot of otome games, the female best friend always tends to feel like the absent ambiguous character that just happens to be there to fill a 'best friend' spot, so I'd really like Layla to have a more active role in the future. Not that she has to be physically there for Violet, but maybe have her importance and presence be more known to the bachelors or even just have talks with Violet that actually affect the main storyline either directly or indirectly. Though, if there's some cool appearance from her or twist with her that'd be great too! I just really want to have a moment somewhere in the story where I really feel like 'ah Layla really is a good close friend'.
Also, since Violet's mother actually made an appearance, I'm also assuming she'll play a bigger role later. I like how her character isn't typical disapproving mother that you would expect.
I would like more decision options, though I'm sure they'll also come.
I also think adding good voice acting would be great! I know its a huge thing to suddenly add to the game, but if anything I think it might be a good suggestion for any future otome games you all may make. I'd have to argue that the voice acting in Japanese games I've played has to be half of what really draws a person into an otome game. I hadn't given english voice acting very much thought for otome games, but recently I've played a couple that, while some of the voices felt amateur still (and thus a little distracting from the game and story itself), I've extremely enjoyed the good voices (The game I'm thinking of is Seduce Me on steam)! While I was giggling at embarrassment at first, I ended up really getting attached to the characters much more than routes I've played without voice acting (I'd even spent a little more money on the Alice no Kuni game for the voice acting).
On a personal note, it sounds like everyone also think Ace is a pretty huge jerk. I'd love me some revenge with him. Violet better not be falling for him before really giving him a piece of her mind!

Personally, I'm most interested in Orion. I feel like he's the only one that kinda helped Violet in the end and I'm extremely curious about these strange looks he's been giving or why he even bothered to eat that dirty cupcake in the first place!
That being said, I also want to know why the nicest guy in school happens to hate Violet for some reason!?
And while Ace seems like a huge jerk, I want to know what's with the Devil and Death tarot card! And since he IS such a jerk, I'm sure that makes his story even that more interesting.
In short, I'm interested in buying all their routes.

I just can't wait! I'm really hoping for a good full story-I want some funny relaxed times but also want the cool intense scenes! My only main worry is that the stories are going to be over before I know it!;;

oasis-plus
Projects: Waxwing, Hocus Pocus Prince
Tumblr: hp-prince

Re: Hocus Pocus Prince [Otome][Commercial] - 1st DEMO/CONTES

#38 Post by oasis-plus »

Thanks for the continued feedback on our demo, everyone! We really appreciate hearing from you all and our replies are below.

We’d also like to give a shoutout to the two lovely Let’s Players who have played Hocus Pocus Prince so far. If you have some time, please check out their videos below.
WrenVix
AeroWolf1821
Last but not least, we’d like to announce our first character transformation guessing game. You can win free routes from Hocus Pocus Prince by entering this contest.
In Hocus Pocus Prince, each route starts with the love interest getting cursed into a different form. Can you guess what their new transformations will be before we reveal them to the public?

First up is the cheerful upperclassman, Vincent Asher. If you can figure out what his transformation will be, you have the chance to win a free copy of Vincent’s route! Here is a riddle with some hints:
In my new form, I can make even grown men scream like babies. I haunt dark places and am nearly impossible to kill. What am I now?
Please follow the rules in the post below to submit your guess on either Tumblr or Twitter!
http://hp-prince.tumblr.com/post/126158 ... otome-game

Good luck to everyone!

Replies to comments

Strawberry
We’re glad you enjoyed the demo, and we’ll do our best to finish the full game soon. And don’t feel worried about critiquing, because it will help us improve. ;) You’re right that Ace is a shallow jerk at first. Though it fits with the story we have planned for him, we might have overdone his meanness level. Hopefully it will make more sense after his first chapter preview comes out, else we must try to soften him up more.

Hazel-Bun
Great, let us know what you think when you get a chance to play it.

Arkhane
Thanks for playing our demo, and we’re glad you liked the humor (“love story” between the cat and toilet paper, haha). At the contest, the MC probably went along because she’s pressured and scared of refusing, even if she is bothered by it. We will rewrite that part to make her feelings clearer. As for the character’s thoughts, we can write them in parentheses like (this) if that helps?

Parataxis
Thanks for your feedback! For mobile, we’ll release on both Android and iOS systems. You can stick with PC as well if that’s preferable. The reason the prologue has no choices is actually because it’s supposed to be skipped on later playthroughs. Because it’s skippable, it can’t have any choices with actual consequences (though we could add some extra flavor text). The rest of the game will definitely have more choices, like a regular visual novel. And yep, Layla will be sending more letters in the future.

Can’t help but laugh when reading the skype log about Ace! You’re right that he starts off as a big jerk. He’s meant to be more over-the-top Laughably Evil than outright malicious though, so we may need to tone him down.

himenos
We’re glad your friend recommended it to you. Ace is indeed quite...Ace...but hopefully he’ll be able to redeem himself later. Also glad to hear you liked the side characters (Lucifer and Layla). We thought it would be nice for Violet to have at least one female friend to support her. We actually haven’t decided Layla’s image yet, so if you have any suggestions on what you imagine her appearance/sprite to look like, please let us know.

acomputergirl
Thanks for playing! Poor Violet is a school outcast, so not many people will like her at first. But things get better for her by the end (in the good endings at least).

tarunarei
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. We saw other mobile games (Voltage USA?) selling their routes in separate parts, which is why we originally had that as an option. Sounds like many people don’t actually like it though?

Thank you for suggesting the opening scene with a CG. We will take this into consideration when developing future art for the game.

We thought it would be nice for have some supportive female characters for Violet, so Layla and Violet’s mom will definitely appear again. And yes, Violet has a pretty low opinion of Ace now, so it will be a while before they can fall in love. She will have the opportunity to stand up to him again (and he will actually benefit from being told off).

We’d love to add voice acting if we can afford it! One of the goals for our future Kickstarter campaign will be partial or full voice acting, so hopefully we can raise enough funds to include it.

Arkhane
Regular

#39 Post by Arkhane »

oasis-plus wrote:
Replies to comments

Arkhane
Thanks for playing our demo, and we’re glad you liked the humor (“love story” between the cat and toilet paper, haha). At the contest, the MC probably went along because she’s pressured and scared of refusing, even if she is bothered by it. We will rewrite that part to make her feelings clearer. As for the character’s thoughts, we can write them in parentheses like (this) if that helps?
Hello.
thanks for you replies :3
The parentheses would be a great indication :3

oasis-plus

#40 Post by oasis-plus »

Arkhane wrote:
oasis-plus wrote:
Replies to comments

Arkhane
Hello.
thanks for you replies :3
The parentheses would be a great indication :3
Great, we will add it then! :D

~*~*~*~

We also wanted to thank everyone who has entered our contest giveaway for Vincent's route! We've seen some very interesting guesses about his cursed form so far. Again, the contest info is here if you are interested in entering:
http://hp-prince.tumblr.com/post/127291 ... free-route

We will be closing the contest tomorrow at midnight (August 23, UTC-8), so please send us any final guesses before then, or help spread the word. Thank you! :D

oasis-plus

#41 Post by oasis-plus »

The results for Vincent's guessing game contest are now out! A big thanks to everyone who entered or helped spread the word. As you can see from the sprite below, Vincent's cursed form is a cockroach.

We've also started the next contest, where you can win a free copy of Orion's route here:
http://hp-prince.tumblr.com/post/127540 ... otome-game

The rules are the same as for Vincent's contest. Please enter using the post above, or help us spread the word if you can. :D

PRationality
Tumblr: PRationality

#42 Post by PRationality »

Just finished and felt a great need to find out if there's more yet :)

1. Do you prefer to play on PC or mobile? - PC. Aside from puzzle games like TsumTsum or Bejeweled, I prefer my games to be PC.
2. How much do you usually pay for visual novels or otome games (if at all)? - the most I've paid was $80 (for the limited edition import from Japan. Typically I pay somewhere around $20, not inclusive of DLCs.
3. Would you rather buy character routes separately, or have them all in one game? - I prefer them all at once.
4. Would you like the option to buy long routes in cheaper parts (all parts would be released at the same time)? - Sure. I mean really, I just want the game to come out.
5. What did you like about the demo? - Honestly? the MC (who I left as Violet for purposes of the Demo) reminded me so much of myself in HS (complete with the Occult Club! and loving slasher films!) and that was the best part. I felt connected to her. Also definitely the artwork.
6. What did you dislike or think could be improved? Did you find any bugs or typos? - I'd like the option to punch either Vincent or Ace at some point, maybe later after the MC gains more confidence. Like wtf Ace? Seriously? On what planet is that okay? (none. the answer is none) Didn't come upon any bugs or typos or such.
7. Which of the three character routes would you be interested in purchasing? - Well Orion is the only one I didn't want to smash a cupcake into the face of, so his definitely. However I'm interested to see what the heck is up with Vincent's attitude and just why Ace is the way he is.
8. Any other expectations or wishes for the full game? - Plllleeeeeaaassseeee let me punch Ace? And really my only expectation is to have fun!

KillerQueen
Regular

#43 Post by KillerQueen »

If there's a Mac version, I usually choose that. Otherwise, mobile.

Answering for both.

For PC I usually pay 10-15usd, for mobile games I usually spent about 3-5usd per route.

Separately, unless there was some kind of perk for finishing them all (like a 'true ending') in which case, I'd prefer to buy them all.

Definitely not! Having to go through the payment process for each part is annoying so I'd rather just buy the whole route in one go.

Violet! She seems like a very interesting MC so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing how she develops.

Ace's manner of speech. The combination between several languages was more off-putting than quirky - about halfway through his dialogue I found myself wanting to skip it, which is a shame, because I like his personality.

Orion. If Ace's switching between languages were toned down, I'd be interested in him too.

Nothing specific? In general, the demo made me want to play the full game.

oasis-plus

#44 Post by oasis-plus »

Hey everyone! We just announced the results for Orion’s guessing game contest. Thanks again to everyone who participated! Orion’s cursed form will be a ghost.

We also started our last contest, which is to win a free copy of Ace’s route:
http://hp-prince.tumblr.com/post/128550 ... otome-game

Again, please enter using the link above, or help us spread the word. ;) This will be our final giveaway for now!

Replies to comments

PRationality
Glad that our game was able to spark your interest! We’ll try to finish HPP as soon as possible. The MC actually does get to smack Ace a little later on (he definitely deserves it)!

KillerQueen
Thank you for your feedback. You might be the first person to say they actually like Ace’s personality! He’s quite obnoxious at first, but will tone down his behavior bit by bit (including the language thing) in future chapters.

PRationality
Tumblr: PRationality

#45 Post by PRationality »

Oasis-plus - that's good news :D Er I mean not that I condone violence...but he got my irish-italian temper flaring so...yeah....