Curiouser and Curiouser [murder mystery][questions added!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kirarya
Projects: Panacea
Tumblr: kiraryadev
Deviantart: Kirarya

Curiouser and Curiouser [murder mystery][questions added!]

#1 Post by Kirarya »

Curiouser and Curiouser

A WAG Challenge entry.
To be released by June 30th!

Wonder has always been a quiet town. It's small, secluded; perhaps the most boring place on Earth. Or it was, until Mr Carrol, the
owner of a local cafe is found dead. While at first glance the cause of death appears to have been accidental, police begin to
suspsect otherwise when facts don't quite add up. One thing soon becomes certain: the victim was murdered by one of his own
employees. Pressured by an uneasy public and unable to solve the case on their own, local authorities call in a private investigator
for help. You play as Alice, a passionate and insightful detective responsible for finding the perpetrator. Search the crime scene and
interrogate suspects for clues to help you determine who the guilty party is. Don't mess up -- Wonder is counting on you!

*I apologises for the faces, I promise they'll all look like people once sprites are done!*

Victoria: Prefers to go by Vicky. A smartass with an attitude. She's constantly complaining about being the only competent
employee at the cafe despite the fact that she hardly does any of the work. She often comes of as rude and abrasive and is fueled
by a need for attention. Annoying as she is, she manages to effectively get things done when she tries.

Margaret: Victoria's younger sister. The two seem to be polar opposites: Margaret is quiet and gentle, always putting others
before herself. She's a total pushover which Vicky never ceases to take advantage, but Margaret doesn't mind. She's saving up to
put herself through college and will gladly take extra shifts or cover for the other employees.

Ches: Bringer of smiles and bad puns. Ches loves to have fun and often expresses it through practical jokes. It's too bad his
victims don't think them as entertaining as he does. All laughs aside, he is capable of being rather down to earth and serious
sometimes. Then he remembers how boring it is and returns to his goofy cheerful self.

Nico: A laid back guy that prefers to keep to himself. He talks plenty but slyly avoids answering questions about his personal
life, often averting the conversation with philosophical thoughts that really make one sit down and think for awhile. He has a habit
of smoking but respectfully only does so outside in well-ventilated areas.

Theo: Pretty eccentric. He's constantly talking about new business ventures he wants to try and does his best to convince
those around him to invest in them with him. His mouth is always running full speed and sometimes he gets so lost in his thoughts
he forgets what he's doing entirely only to wake up and realise that he's dropped a few dishes again.

Dean: The nerdiest of the bunch. Dean prefers to avoid social interaction as much as he can, but will engage if it can't be
helped. He's a stickler for punctuality and hates when others are late for their shifts. He was on the debate team in high school and
gets really into arguements. His personality flips like a switch and things can get heated pretty fast.

Update 06/07: coloured concept art.

If you haven't guessed already or are wondering, yes! This game is based off of the infamous Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll. The WAG Challenge theme is "Down the Rabbit Hole" so a Wonderland tribute seemed appropriate to me. I know
it's an overused trope in modern pop-culture but I hope I've put enough of a spin on the story to provide some interesting and
original material. That being said, can you guess which characters from the novel are represented here?

Question time! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the project!

1. Does the premise interest you? Would you want to play this game?
2. Are the Wonderland references good? Too vague? Too obvious?
3. What do you think of the characters? Who's your favourite?
4. What kinds of features would you like to see in the game?
5. Would you be interested in adding love interests or nah?
6. And the million dollar question: who do you suspect is the culprit?

Last edited by Kirarya on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chibisaso
Regular
Projects: Their Happy Ending

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser [light-hearted murder mystery ga

#2 Post by Chibisaso »

This sounds really interesting, I'm defenitely going to try this once it's out. I wish you good luck and hope you make it in time for the challenge ~
can you guess which characters from the novel are represented here?
I'm guessing ches is cheshire cat, nico is this worm guy, who I dont remember his name, theo is the mad hatter and dean is the white rabbit ?
I really hope thay the cafe owner id also a character from the novel.
Again good luck with this, I'll keep myself updated C:

Kirarya

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser [light-hearted murder mystery ga

#3 Post by Kirarya »

Chibisaso wrote:I'm guessing ches is cheshire cat, nico is this worm guy, who I dont remember his name, theo is the mad hatter and dean is the white rabbit ?
I really hope thay the cafe owner id also a character from the novel.
Right on! Alice, Victoria and Margaret are also characters: Victoria being the Queen of Hearts and Margaret being the Duchess. I would hope Alice is pretty self explanatory, yeah? And the murder victim is none other than Mr. Carroll himself!

Thank you so much for your comment! I'll be updating this post with developments as the month rolls along. It will be my first finished project using Ren'Py -- I thought a game jam would be a great way to get myself motivated and familiar with the software. I just hope I can get everything I want done by the deadline!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: Curiouser and Curiouser [murder mystery][questions added

#4 Post by AntiquedFae »

This looks really interesting. As a bit of a (major) literature geek and a lover of mystery, this is definitely a concept that strikes me as genius! Seriously, why didn't I think of something this clever?! I got all of the characters except for Margaret; I thought she might have been the White Queen, but I love, love that you stuck solely to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland characters and didn't combine them with Through the Looking Glass characters like most derivative works seem to (becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine, just saying). So it's awesome that you included the often excluded character of the duchess, I should have got that from the two of them being sisters. Will there be a pig?

As for characters being too obvious or too vague, nope I'd say it's probably about the right balance. Alice is of course very obvious but that's to be expected, and the trench coat is a nice variation. Though I wonder if maybe it should be a bit lighter so it is the traditional 'Alice blue' colour, just because that has become so iconic? Or else maybe making it a navy to give it a more modern, sleek look. I'm not sure, I guess the bright teal just throws me off a little since it doesn't look like something a detective would wear nor the child book character. Anyways that's just something tiny.

And can I just say, my favourite part...the murder victim! Oh my goodness, that had me bursting with laughter for a good while when I got that! Oh, I love that.

Best of wishes to you for this game! I know how hard it is to make a first game! It looks amazing though!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Kirarya

#5 Post by Kirarya »

AntiquedFae wrote:I love, love that you stuck solely to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland characters and didn't combine them with Through the Looking Glass characters like most derivative works seem to (becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine, just saying).
I've had several friends ask why Tweedledee/dum, the Walrus, etc weren't included in the cast and it's for just that reason! I decided I didn't want to have too many characters to keep track of, especially considering I'll need to develop all of their motives/etc. within a month so decided to stick to the original work. And I included the Duchess because a) I wanted another female character and b) she was actually on of my favourite characters from the novel! She's sorely underrepresented in other Wonderland works -- perhaps because she didn't make it into Disney's adaptation? -- and while Margaret's personality is the most deviant, I did include the relationship to the Queen of Hearts to hint at her identity. c:
Will there be a pig?
Wow I didn't even think to include the pig but now that you mention it I think I'll just have to!
the trench coat is a nice variation. Though I wonder if maybe it should be a bit lighter so it is the traditional 'Alice blue' colour, just because that has become so iconic? Or else maybe making it a navy to give it a more modern, sleek look.
I too was unsure about the colour. I'll see to changing it, thanks!
And can I just say, my favourite part...the murder victim! Oh my goodness, that had me bursting with laughter for a good while when I got that!
-high five!- Despite being a murder mystery I do hope to incorporate some humourous elements into the script and gameplay! After all, the residents of Wonder are all quite something!

OtomeRisa

#6 Post by OtomeRisa »

Oh my god---
//screams internally

I'm so exited for this~! Can't wait until it's done.

OtomeRisa

#7 Post by OtomeRisa »

k so I'm guessing this was abandoned/and or cancelled lmao