Heavenly Soul[Battle RPG][1st Game][Magical Girls]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SuperLexxx
Regular

Heavenly Soul[Battle RPG][1st Game][Magical Girls]

#1 Post by SuperLexxx »

Hello! I am coming back to Ren'py after a two year hiatus and I'm looking to resume an old project and maybe start a new one! I started this project over 2 years ago with the hopes of turning an old story of mine into a Visual Novel. I made a demo (linked below at the bottom of this post) for the project, but eventually decided to scrap that idea in favor of turning the project into a webcomic.

However! I would still like to make a VN project based on this story. Since the comic revolves around magical girls learning to fight, I'd like to turn the project into some kind of turn-based battle game, possibly with grid based movement like Sunrider. Ideally each battle would have a team of five characters on a grid, each one with different abilities and uses, against a few enemies. Characters will have a variety of close-range and long-range attacks, shield and heal abilities, etc.

The only issue is I have no clue in hell how to do ANY of this. I can code some basic stuff in Ren'py (as demonstrated in the filed linked below) but not more advanced stuff like a full battle system. I really want to use this project as a way to research and learn how to do all of these things. The closest bit of coding I've learned to do anything like this is giving a character an HP value, and then clicking a dialogue button to lower their HP until they hit 0 and the scene moves on.

I am looking for!:
- coding advice
- constructive feedback
- encouragement i guess?
- ???

I'll post more updates as I figure out how to do all this stuff!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OLD OLD VERSION OF THE GAME BELOW! KEEPING FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES.
Heavenly Soul, ACT I

~Summary~
Fifteen years ago, Earth was saved from destruction by a mysterious team of magical girls. Under their leader, Princess Crescentia, the group pushed back an invasion and saved the world. However, they paid a heavy price to win the battle, losing their leader and many of their teammates. As their numbers dwindle, the girls made an agreement with world governments to open a training academy through which they would recruit and teach magical girls and boys from all over the world in the hopes of finding someone to take their place.

Teenager Arisu's greatest wish is to become a powerful magical girl just like her idol, Princess Crescentia, whose exploits have been adapted many times over into books, films, and tv shows. Her chance begins when she is discovered to have magical powers and is recruited into the school. Many obstacles are in her way, including other students in competition to become the next magical girl heroes, a position that comes with worldwide fame. It will be a hard fight to the top, but Arisu is determined to fulfill her dream.

The past is not what it seems, and the original magical girls hold many dark secrets. Their students may be the ones to pay the price.

~DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!~
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hdenpn5sfq7z ... l.zip?dl=0

Backgrounds and music are all placeholder at the moment and will be updated in the future.
Gym and hospital backgrounds from Mugen's free background resources.

~Characters~

Arisu
Fifteen year old Arisu has always dreamed of joining Starlight and becoming a magical girl.
A chance encounter leads her to landing a spot at the school, but expectations are high.
Arisu must learn to control her meager powers and learn to compete in order to survive.
The appearance of an unknown enemy may throw a wrench into her plans.

Kana
Arisu's friend and roommate at the beginning of the year. Unlike Arisu, Kana is ashamed of her weak powers
and wishes to be stronger. She looks up to the students of the upper class and deeply wishes
to be just like them. School competition may put her at odds with Arisu's goals.

Harley
The younger sister of Harper. A teenage girl living on the streets before her sister found her,
Harley is thrown unwillingly into the world of magical girls.
She has no interest in competing and just wants to be left alone.

Harper
Harley's older sister is a force to be reckoned with. One of the strongest students,
Harper saved her sister from being homeless and is determined to protect her at all costs.
Her one dream is to keep Harley safe and ensure a better future for her.

Sakura
A mysterious and aloof upperclassman, Sakura is also one of the most capable fighters
in the academy. None of the students know much about her, but most look up to her for
her grace and competence in battle. She could be one of Arisu's greatest allies or most difficult obstacle.

Mischa
Arisu's best friend and supporter, Mischa is an up-and-coming pop music star.
Becoming a magical girl is more of a means to fame than to be a hero, but Mischa's heart may not be in it.
She has questions about her childhood and answers may come from the mysterious ballet teacher at Starlight.

Klaus
???

Jean
???

~Planned Features~
*Full voice acting
*Cool story bro
Last edited by SuperLexxx on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 am, edited 9 times in total.

SeventhStranger
Regular

Re: Heavenly Soul[High School][1st Game][Advice Appreciated!

#2 Post by SeventhStranger »

Magical girl school! Sounds like a fun concept.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Allen`
IRC Nick: Allen`
Github: FM1337

#3 Post by Allen` »

Looks very interesting; looking forward to playing it.

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#4 Post by neuropsy »

Magical Girls with dark themes? Count me in!

I am super interested to see how you've constructed your world with public knowledge of Magical Girls, considering that's one of the biggest plot points of my own MG game. :3
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

SuperLexxx
Regular

#5 Post by SuperLexxx »

neuropsy wrote:Magical Girls with dark themes? Count me in!

I am super interested to see how you've constructed your world with public knowledge of Magical Girls, considering that's one of the biggest plot points of my own MG game. :3
Thank you for your interest in this project. :) I'd love to see your game as well! No amount of magical girls is too much. :P

Main post has been updated with a little bit more information. Not many art updates at the moment, most of my time right now is being spent on writing and learning how to do the programming. I have been doing a bit of 3d modeling as well for the backgrounds and I should have updates on that in the near future. :)

Thanks for supporting Heavenly Soul with your views and comments! ~<3

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#6 Post by Gabylc »

Your project looks interesting! I love how the characters all have different and believable goals attending the school. And I have a thing for red-haired protagonist, I already like Arisu!
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!

SuperLexxx
Regular

#7 Post by SuperLexxx »

Quick short update on the project! Lots of things are happening all at once so I don't have too much to post visually, but good things are happening! Here's what goes on:

1: The story for Prologue is written! It still needs a little tightening up but after a year of revising, the story is set.

2: The script is underway. I've already written the dialogue for one scene and am in the process of getting dialogue recorded.

3: See those lovely sketches up there? They're old. They're outdated. I'm in the process right now of updating them with the newer character redesigns not just for the VN but also for a concept art book! My latest school project is to create a book of concept art, which I'm considering making available for purchase alongside the VN. Here's a full body drawing of Arisu that will be in the book when it's all finished!
I'm still working on cleaning it up and adjusting the colors, but is she cute as a button or what? :3

The only issues I'm having so far is doing all the programming and getting the backgrounds finished. Can't have a VN without those! Hopefully I'll have updates on those for you all soon. Thanks for your support everyone! ~

Allen`
IRC Nick: Allen`
Github: FM1337

#8 Post by Allen` »

Glad to see its coming along nicely :D (Hope no one forgot about me yet! :D)

SuperLexxx
Regular

Re: Heavenly Soul[Academy Setting][1st Game]

#9 Post by SuperLexxx »

UPDATED!!!

New character art in the original post, plus a new character!

Lots of work is being done and progress made. My deadline for completion of a demo is three weeks, so expect that...soon! Scripts are about 70% done, coding implementation is underway (thanks to the wonderful Trooper6), and as you can see art assets are being worked on. Lots still to do, but we're getting there, folks!

SuperLexxx
Regular

Re: Heavenly Soul[Academy Setting][1st Game][Demo Available!

#10 Post by SuperLexxx »

A short demo for the game is now available! Download link in the OP!

SuperLexxx
Regular

Re: Heavenly Soul[Academy Setting][1st Game][Demo Available!]

#11 Post by SuperLexxx »

Hello ren'py forums! I just came back from a two year hiatus and have updated my original post to reflect a new direction for this project.