Until Eleven - [GXB] [Mystery] [Thriller] [Romance] DEMO!!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
plaster
Regular
Tumblr: plasterbrain
Soundcloud: plasterbrain

Re: Until Eleven - [GXB] [Mystery] [Thriller] [Romance]

#16 Post by plaster »

Dude that GUI is SWEET!

SeventhStranger
Regular

Re: Until Eleven - [GXB] [Mystery] [Thriller] [Romance] DEM

#17 Post by SeventhStranger »

Demo is OUT!
Click below to download!
http://seventhstranger.itch.io/until-eleven

I need your feedback! Check the first post for some questions you can answer once you've played the demo to help me out.

This has been my first game demo release so I'm all nervous and stuff! :) Let me know your thoughts so I can improve. Thanks!

tantivy
Regular

#18 Post by tantivy »

Hi! I'm excited to play your demo, but when I downloaded it there was only the .exe file, and it wasn't able to start without the data folders. (I tried the Windows version.)

I'll check back again and definitely play it! :)

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by philip »

No mac version?

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

SeventhStranger
Regular

#20 Post by SeventhStranger »

Yikes! I fixed the windows file on the page so it should be all good now.

I also added the OSX version (which I thought I already had uploaded. That's what I get for doing this stuff at the wee hours of the morning)

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by philip »

@SeventhStranger-

Was excited to see your message that you have added the mac version; downloading now! Thanks!

philip

Edit: Alas, my joy was short-lived - the file downloaded, but will not open - no error message - just nothing, even after repeated clicks. (Hangs head dejectedly and walks away, suppressing a sob . . . )
Last edited by philip on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

SeventhStranger
Regular

#22 Post by SeventhStranger »

philip wrote:@SeventhStranger-

Was excited to see your message that you have added the mac version; downloading now! Thanks!

philip
No problem!
Let me know if there are any issues, Since I'm not able to test the mac version, I worry :)

EDIT: looks like there was a problem with the itch.io upload so the files weren't uploading properly. So anyone who downloaded files previously probably got a corrupted zip. I THINK I have them all fixed now. I am reuploading both the windows and mac versions, so try again in a few minutes! (fingers crossed)

EDIT 2: Windows version is confirmed working. Can't test the OSX version, but here's hoping!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by philip »

@SeventhStranger-

Just redownloaded it - successfully! When I initially opened it, I got the Unity screen, then a black screen - and the dreaded whirling beach ball for about ten seconds, but it went away, and I was able to proceed. Tried restarting with the same result. A minor annoyance, I am now proceeding, and everything appears OK - I think I'm gonna like it! Will come back later with some comments.

Thanks for straightening out the initial problems.

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by philip »

@SeventhStranger-

Well, I have just finished my initial play through. I really like the story; the art, the dialogue, everything about it is very well done. I can hardly wait to see more!

One thing, I have not been able to find the "skip" function, to keep me from marathon clicking when I am going back through something that I played through once already. Does it exist, or did I miss it?

philip
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

SeventhStranger
Regular

#25 Post by SeventhStranger »

philip wrote: One thing, I have not been able to find the "skip" function, to keep me from marathon clicking when I am going back through something that I played through once already. Does it exist, or did I miss it?
This is something I do plan to add for the full version. Sadly, it's not as easy to code it in Unity as it would be in Renpy, so its something I'll have to fiddle with a bit. But it's definitely on the list! :)

tantivy
Regular

#26 Post by tantivy »

Wow! I just finished the demo and it was so interesting.

One thing I really like is how realistic Kat's responses are to what's going on (this hasn't always been the case in VNs I've played). I feel like I can relate to Kat and her emotions. And the writing is all really clear and to the point. I liked getting to hear Kat's explanations of the various items in her apartment (and Katie's) and it helped me to understand her better as a character. I think exploring is a fun way to introduce information.

The story is really compelling (and it's got a great cliffhanger). I also like the atmosphere of the game and I wouldn't change a thing about the art, music, or GUI. For me personally, having an intriguing atmosphere is something I really enjoy.

--Oh, snap. I just realized you had actual questions I was supposed to be answering. Ok. I'll go read them. :) ... Ah, it seems I'm touching on the right things.

I really can't think of anything that can be improved. I guess more possible expressions for the character sprites would be cool, but that costs money/time/effort, and it works fine the way it is now.

The story has a lot of potential for fascinating situations and awesomeness and I'm excited to see where you take it. It also seems like a unique idea and it's really refreshing. Additionally, it's cool to have a story with a smaller cast that's more tightly focused on the main character's personal/internal story.

I don't think I have any particular suggestions or wishes for the full game; I think if you keep going the way you started it will turn out great, and I'm really excited to see what happens next!

SeventhStranger
Regular

#27 Post by SeventhStranger »

Thanks so much for your comments, tantivy!

So far a couple people have requested that I include instructions to let people know they're supposed to click on things in the room. So I'll try to find a non-intrusive way to include that.