Free!: Arabian Nights [BxB] [Doujinshi Game] [Complete]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

Free!: Arabian Nights [BxB] [Doujinshi Game] [Complete]

#1 Post by Red-Baby »

Hey yo hello everyone!

UPDATE [26-07-2018] : OFFICIAL RELEASE : The complete game is now available!!
UPDATE [21-07-2018] : OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : The finished game will be released on the 26th of July 2018!!!
UPDATE [17-07-2018] : Coding Update: All of Ai's endings are complete!! Hooray! A few other non-romance endings are also complete. All that's left to code are Sousuke's endings and about 4 other endings.
UPDATE [011-05-2018] : An extended demo has been released! Includes more game play and character interactions.
UPDATE [07-05-2018] : Created a new Facebook page where I'll be posting regular updates for the game. You can also use the FB page to interact with me and nag me to finally finish this game. Haha.
UPDATE [18-03-2018] : Adding placeholder art for backgrounds into the game. Only 4 more endings left to write. Considering hiring a CG artist to help with the project.
UPDATE [11-08-2017] : Official demo of the game has been released!!! It is available for download via itch.io here.
UPDATE [17-05-2017] : Background artist has been hired and is in the process of creating backgrounds for the game. BunnyVoid has been doing an amazing job so far and I'll going to keep them on this project.
UPDATE [27-04-2017] : Music composer was hired to make a custom track for this game!! Eric Matyas was kind and amazing enough to let me use his pre-made music as well as create a whole new track for the market scenes. I am currently incorporating the music into the game.
UPDATE [05-04-2017] : RETURN FROM HIATUS / REBOOT
UPDATE [20-10-2015] : Hiatus - I'me putting the game development on hiatus for some time as I work through some things in RL. Apologies for the delay but I'll get make time for the game hopefully in the near future.
UPDATE [25-09-2015] : Hi everyone!! I've uploaded a very short gameplay video onto my facebook page. (youtube has locked me out of my account >__>) Check it out and be sure to like, comment, and share the video to help promote the game. =] Thankies!!
UPDATE [23-09-2015] : I've adding shading and lighting to the background art to try and give the game a little more depth. Have also started making the art needed for the next section of the game (after the beta) and have been doing coding for the 8 hours straight. Also, new questions at end of post!
UPDATE [29-08-2015] : The beta version is available for download now =D Here
UPDATE [14-08-2015] : A beta version of the game will be released on the 29th of August 2015. Find out more here

Hello Again!!

The game ended up being much more story-driven than I had expected, as a result there are now "9" possible story endings, seven of which have branching romance endings.

The game I am making is a doujinshi game based on the first ending to the anime Free! Iwatobi Swim Club.
You can watch the ending here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88xPxULx-II
Because it's a doujinshi, I must warn everyone that even though you play in an Arabian setting, the characters still retain their Japanese names and use some Japanese honorifics (e.g. Rin-sama).
I've tried to make VN games before but this is the first time I've ever gotten this far.
If you have any advice or suggestions please comment and let me know. There are some questions at the bottom of this post.

Synopsis:
You play as Rin Matsuoka, the young sultan of a fictional land. One day, you are informed by captain Mikoshiba, the captain of the palace guards, that rumours have arisen that someone has been sent to kidnap you. You decide to leave the palace, against the suggestions of the captain, to get in contact with your friends in the city that you believe may be able to help you solve who has been sent to abduct you.

Progress:
Story: 100%
Script: 100% (over 30,000 words)
Background Art: 100%
Sprites: 100%
Coding: 100%

Characters:
  • Rin
    Sousuke
    Ai
    Gou
    Mikoshiba
    Haruka
    Makoto
    Nagisa
    Rei
    Momotarou

Disclaimers:
Original Character Designs by Kōji Ōji and Futoshi Nishiya © Kyoto Animation
Character Artwork by Red-Baby (me)
Music by Eric Matyas
Background Artwork by BunnyVoid
Some background images from google.
Textbox by OokamiKasumi

Questions:
Before you play it, what do you think will happen at the end?
After you play it, what did you think of the story?
Which characters do you ship together?
Attachments
screenshot.png
Book_MIDDAY_16.jpg
Bedroom_MORN_05.jpg
Character Sprites progress.png
Last edited by Red-Baby on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 am, edited 42 times in total.

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

Re: Free!: Arabian Nights [BxB] [Doujinshi Game]

#2 Post by 78909087 »

Looking forward to seeing more of this as it comes out, do your best!
I am not friends with the sun.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#3 Post by Laiska »

The Splash Free sequence is one of my favourite parts of the entire show, and I've always kind of wanted to make a story about it, so I'm looking forward to this. Good luck!

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen

#4 Post by Red-Baby »

Thank you 78909087 and Laiska =]
I really loved the Splash Free sequence too! I just couldn't find any stories that satisfied my needs so I decided to make this, hehe.

If anyone has any ideas where I can get some good Arabian themed backgrounds for free I would really appreciate it!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#5 Post by Red-Baby »

Update: More character sprites added~!! ^w^
Let me know what you think of Sousuke's outfit! I really wanted to include his shoulder wrap, just because I feel like it's an important part of his character.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#6 Post by Laiska »

I really like the idea of keeping the shoulder wrap! Though, his pants look like they're slipping off... >_>

Red-Baby
Veteran

#7 Post by Red-Baby »

Laiska wrote:I really like the idea of keeping the shoulder wrap! Though, his pants look like they're slipping off... >_>
Haha, yeah I think they are riding a little low too. I redrew his outfit a few times because I wasn't satisfied with it. In the end I'm settling for this and if others say the pants are slipping off I guess I'll agree and say 'I want them to' :wink:

Coming up with designs for Ai and Gou now. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them! I'm a bit stumped and keep looking at Nagisa's outfit for inspiration.

Red-Baby
Veteran

#8 Post by Red-Baby »

Update! Ai's first character sprite available for viewing.
Any comments or critiques on his outfit?
I wanted to match it a little to Sousuke's (for reasons yet to be revealed~!!! =D )

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#9 Post by Aviala »

I really like the clothes designs!

Ai looks very cute and I like the outfit, but I'd either lower the crotch of his pants or move his belly button upwards; there doesn't seem to be enough space for his crotch.
Keep up the good work! 8)

Red-Baby
Veteran

#10 Post by Red-Baby »

Aviala wrote:I really like the clothes designs!

Ai looks very cute and I like the outfit, but I'd either lower the crotch of his pants or move his belly button upwards; there doesn't seem to be enough space for his crotch.
Keep up the good work! 8)
Thanks for the input =D
Yea, now that I look a it again I see what you mean. I think the crotch area should be a little lower as well.
Since I've already finished the lineart and colour for Ai I'm kind of too lazy to do any major edits.
I think next time I should show the sketch designs, get some input and critiques, then do the officially lineart and colouring.
What does everyone else think?

Update:
I originally planned for this to be a very short <30 min game with only 4 menus (is menus the right word? Flags?)
After how much I've been enjoying myself while making this game, I've extended the script to between 45+ min (so far) with 8 menus now.
Woot~!
I'll try to make an update at least once every week on the progress of the game, no matter how big or small it may be.

Red-Baby
Veteran

#11 Post by Red-Baby »

Update:
Changes to Ai's pants have been made.
New screenshot available for viewing. Any comments or feedback is much appreciated~!!

RunereianLilli
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagoria
Deviantart: RunereiaNoRirii

#12 Post by RunereianLilli »

!!!!

This is very relevant to me!! I love the Free ending so much! I used to watch it many times!
A VN based on that? You have my full support!

HidekiKun
Projects: Red Ties
Tumblr: hideki-husbando
Deviantart: vissnande
Soundcloud: Cicinee

#13 Post by HidekiKun »

BREATHES IN. BREATHES OUT.
TOUCHES THIS.

I'd love to answer the questions but it's nearly 3 am and I'm quite pooped to think very well... BUT DO SIGN ME UP FOR THIS!!!
--------------------------------------
In plague we trust.
--------------------------------------
Pixel by Kyrislian!

RunereianLilli
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagoria
Deviantart: RunereiaNoRirii

#14 Post by RunereianLilli »

Gonna answer your questions as you answered mine in my WiP! (Thanks)

1.I love the colors you used on Sousuke's waistcloth!!! Blue and green are my favorite colors. Also overall it looks well balanced to me. As for Ai, again, I really liked the colors and even though it's less eye-catching than Sousuke's, I think it's really well done~

2.It's difficult for me to think about something like this on the spot. I really liked Sousuke's outfit, and I think you can figure out the rest. If you keep using blue and green, my eyes would be pleased, but using the same colors is crazy in other way, so don't listen to me >.<"!

3.Mmmm... To be honest it's quite some time since I watched the anime, and I don't remember the cast that well. So I guess not! Less work for you, I guess?

4.As I enjoy playing games with Arabian themes(wish there were more) and the ending is so well done, making a doujinshi from it is a really nice idea. I am surely looking forward to it in many ways. Yay for doujinshi!

Red-Baby
Veteran

#15 Post by Red-Baby »

HidekiKun wrote:
Haha, Thanks for the comment =]
RunereianLilli wrote:
Thank you for answering the questions =D
Haha, chances are Gou and Mikoshiba's outfits won't be a blue/green mix. I feel like red/orange/black would suit them better. Maybe some pink for Gou.

Less work for me~ Yay!! Haha.

I'm currently working on one of the CGs and will hopefully have an update up by the end of this week.