Ottoman Fantasy Child Rearing Sim [Archived]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Ottoman Fantasy Child Rearing Sim [Archived]

#1 Post by noeinan »

Logo pending.
Disclaimer: This vn is a labor of love, and currently I am the only one working on it. (Art, programming, writing, etc.) Because of this, I don't expect it to be out anytime soon-- it is very ambitious and will take a long time. I've been developing this idea for several years, and decided it would be fun to make a thread since I now have enough assets to do so! Thanks for taking the time to check it out, I would love to hear your feedback.

SETTING

This setting is loosely based off of the 1600s Ottoman Empire-- much in the same way that many fantasy games draw culturally from medieval Europe. Our game takes place in the equivalent of Istanbul/Constantinople, at the height of the country's power.

The cosmology is based off of the Islamic faith, where there are three types of sentient beings-- Angels, created by God from light, who are gifted with immense power but have no free will; Djinn, created from smokeless fire, are very powerful and have free will; lastly, Humans, created using malleable clay, who lack the innate magical powers of the other two, while retaining free will.

There are two kinds of magic that can be wielded by humans, but sorcerers are heavily stigmatized. The first type of magic could be called "white magic"-- but is more accurately described as "magic with God's permission." This magic uses holy scripture, spoken aloud or written down, for all effects. This magic is relatively limited, and typically used for smaller acts, such as blessings or medicine. The second would be "black magic" or "magic without God's permission." Humans do not have access to this magic naturally, and can only learn through contact with Djinn. This magic can be much more intense, and unpredictable-- though it will generally be limited in comparison to what actual Djinn are capable of.

The Djinn have a gift for shape-shifting, and thus many races of different appearances are actually different clans of Djinn. Three of these clans feature prominently in game-- the fairies, elves, and dragons. (Possibly more to be added as the world events are written.)

Similar to the Ottoman Empire, this country's society is heavily reliant on family structures. However, in opposition to the patriarchal structure in our history, it is replaced by a religious one. Young children are asked to undergo a coming of age trial, and their results will determine whether they will become a household leader or a household member. This is seen as a brand directly from God, and is legally binding.

After the coming of age ceremony, it is expected that children have settled into their gender. The empire has strict regulations on public clothing based on ethnicity, class, and gender-- those who do not adhere to these standards may be fined, or face ostracization. Clothing is innately political in nature, and can communicate, for example, whether or not one is satisfied with the current sultan. That aside, clothing options within ones own home are not subject to these regulations.

The government structure is headed by a single ruler, called the sultan, sultana, or (gender neutral version yet to be cooked up.) All government officials, including the elite fighting force, based on the janissaries, were raised in the palace from a young age, and are property of the state. The system begins with a "blood tax", where children are taken from outlying communities that do not follow the dominant religion, and raised to serve the sultan/a. Those with academic inclinations become government officials, and those with strong bodies become warriors. These individuals are forbidden from forming families, as a way of solidifying power with the sultan/a and preventing political upheaval.

STORYLINE

Our story follows the player character as they raise a child delivered into their care. The interactions and events between player and children vary depending on their gender, occupational interests, ethnicity, and a variety of other factors. The game will explore various social issues, and how they effect the day to day lives of our characters. The player will be able to raise their child from age 10 until the age of majority, and help them overcome the hardships that one faces growing up. Based on how the child was raised, they will have very different adult lives, explored in the various endings of the game.

FEATURES
  • Planned to release on Android/Ouya
  • Play as a man, woman, or gender neutral individual
  • Raise one of six different children with their unique personalities and societal issues
  • Four characters romance-able by the player
  • Plan the monthly schedule for your child, as well as taking them to ceremonies and festivals
  • Shops, inventory, and the ability to dress up your child
  • Explore various parts of town and befriend locals
  • Travel outside the city to interact with worldly adventures
  • Many triggered events depending on combination of player type and child
  • Random events, which add to the replayability of the game
Features are still under development

GAMEPLAY

The player will be able to plan your child's monthly schedule, allowing them to work, go to school, explore outside the city, or rest. In addition, the player will be able to make choices regarding the raising of their child, as well as conversations with various other characters. They player will need to manage both their monetary assets, and their social relationships with members of the community.

CHARACTERS
Image Image
Derya Emin (Player Character)
Genders: Male, Female, Gender Neutral
Ethnicity Equivalents: Arabic, Libyan/Turkish, Turkish

Derya Emin is the default name for the player character, but their name and age can be set at game start. Derya may be one of three genders, each with different personality presets, and their occupation may be that of an ambassador, doctor, historian, or a sorcerer. Each job position holds unique benefits and challenges. Regardless of the choices, Derya starts the game unmarried, which carries a large stigma in the very family oriented society.

Fiona (Child)

Parent: Female Ambassador
Ethnicity Equivalent: Fairy/Libyan

One fateful day, the player is approached by emissaries from the fairy empire. They bring news of a death, leaving Fiona without a parent. Before passing on, her parent named you as her guardian. This causes some political complication, as government officials are not allowed to have families, but turning her away would result in a diplomatic incident and so your life together begins.

Due to the grim circumstances of her arrival, Fiona requires a lot of emotional support in order to open up. Out of all the children, she is the most visibly closed off, and she struggles with depression. (Referred to as a "spiritual sickness" in game, as modern language surrounding mental illness has yet to be developed.)

She is an extremely kind child, and will naturally gravitate towards helping others-- unfortunately, having lived a sheltered life, she is very gullible and makes an easy target for predatory individuals. Throughout the game, one of her major themes is overcoming inner demons and making peace with oneself and the world.

Gianna (Child)

Parent: Gender Neutral Ambassador
Ethnicity Equivalent: Greek

As a gender neutral ambassador, the player takes on a very different role-- they are God's ambassador to the empire, and are an angel. Choices and dialogue will be very different on this route to reflect this. In part to make the player a better ambassador to humanity, a human child is placed in their care. That child is Gianna.

Gianna is very proud and dignified, which gives her an advantage when addressing those of high status, but hinders her in making personal relationships. Having an angel for a parent does not help her keep in touch with other people on a personal level, and it takes careful planning to overcome this barrier.

She is very naturally gifted, but likely has the most prejudices out of all the children-- as well as a very cynical outlook on the world. A major theme in her route is learning to accept others, and being able to enjoy life and the world in the current moment.

Eoin (Child)

Parent: Male Ambassador
Ethnicity Equivalent: Elven/Arabic

After causing an immense amount of trouble in their home kingdom, Eoin's parents send him to live with the player in the hopes that he will get along better in human society. Just like with Fiona, this causes some political trouble, but he eventually ends up living under your care.

Eoin is extremely upbeat, energetic, and daring. He loves to confront others, and dreams of adventuring beyond the city walls. Surprisingly in contrast to his straightforward nature, he can be very shy when it comes to more personal interactions. It's very difficult to discourage him, and he has a very strong "bounce back" mentality.

One of his major themes involves learning consideration for others, and how to temper his impulsive nature to keep himself safe.

Hana (Child)

Parent: Doctor
Ethnicity Equivalent: Libyan

As a doctor, the player character accompanies the empire's army as they travel south, decimating cities and towns as a part of their campaign to gain control of the area. (Historically, however, there were no war doctors in the actual Ottoman Empire, some artistic license is being used.) Derya is leaving the last city before they return to the capital, and end up in a conversation with a young child whose home has been destroyed. The player decides to take the child home with them.

Hana's cheerful, girly exterior hides an extremely calculating, saavy nature. She is a social chameleon, and an expert at finding out what other people want and need. This adaptive strategy has helped her get by in life, both before and after the destruction of her home.

Because of her history, one of her hardest challenges is turning that off, and doing things purely for herself, doing the things that she wants to do.

Syelen (Child)

Parent: Historian
Ethnicity Equivalent: Chuvash (Ancient Turkic)

The historian goes out to investigate nearby ruins based on some of their recent findings-- normally, one would petition for a grant and hire explorers to do the investigation, due to danger, but as the ruins are well explored other historians do not feel your theory is worth investigating. When you arrive, you find that you were correct-- and appear right in time to see the hatching of a giant egg. Inside, there is a child, Syelen, and you take them home.

Syelen is extremely emotionally detached, and has little knowledge about the workings of society. Their neurodivergence causes complications when socializing or public appearances. They are, however, exceedingly academically talented, and will likely spend much of their time at the mosque, using the library.

They are not particularly distressed by their differences from their peers, though depending on how they are raised they may or may not better adapt to cultural customs and make a social network.

Durrah (Child)

Parent: Sorcerer
Ethnicity Equivalent: Arabic

Because sorcerers are so heavily stigmatized, the player has been unable to form a family and raise children. This desperate and isolating situation leads them to stray away from the legal teachings, and risk death in order to summon a Djinn. They ask that they be provided with a child, and Durrah is delivered to them.

Durrah, however, is a very strange child. She is extremely adept socially, but does not have the same conscience to keep her from using this against others-- she is very prone to flashes of cruelty. Fiercely independent, and capable of using her skills to her advantage, she is one of the most difficult children to raise.

Her path emphasizes difficulties, as well as rewards, that come from relationships where two sides have vastly different moral compasses and opinions.

SCREENSHOTS
GUI is still very much a work in progress, but here is a screenshot of the character selection screen.

This is the home screen, currently programmed except for a few details.

The schedule, which is currently not programmed. (Programming is complex, so this will likely take a while.)

The love interest screen, currently programmed with working bars and everything.

PLAN & PROGRESS
Setting: 40%
Events: 5%
Relationship Engine: 60%
Calendar: 100%
GUI: 30%

Music: 0 selected
Sprites: 8 complete
CGs: 0 complete
BGs: 0 complete

CREDIT
daikiraikimi: Art, Programming, Writing, and Music Selection
Last edited by noeinan on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

Re: Ottoman Fantasy Child Rearing Sim

#2 Post by 78909087 »

This looks super interesting. I must say I'm a fan of child-rearing sims, or sims in general, and while I attempted to make one myself, I found I was unable to keep up with the immense variety. (Kudos to you)
The idea behind the different 'races' and story-line adoptions is intriguing as well. I must say I love that you removed the stigma behind depression, and that you're exploring so many varied children.
Your backstory seems very solid, which is always a plus, and while the large number of in-game tasks look like they'll take a long time to fine-tune, it's very interesting.

I'll be watching for updates!
I am not friends with the sun.

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#3 Post by verysunshine »

This does look fascinating. The concepts of different races, genders, and religions affecting the game is brilliant, and your art looks gorgeous! I look forward to (possibly) testing it.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#4 Post by Laiska »

First thought: Diversity! Yay!

Second thought: Which do you think will be more the focus of the game? The child's life or the player's life? Or will they be about equal? I'm trying to picture how the game would actually play. It would be a little difficult to romance anyone while you're focusing on a child. Or is that sort of the point? If you start paying too much attention to someone else, would the child grow jealous?

Third: I really do love the thought you've put into the various personality types of the children! Focal characters who aren't neurotypical and aren't treated as a novelty are rare.

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#5 Post by HiddenCreature »

Very fascinating so far. Do you plan on recruiting help to finish the game sooner?

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#6 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Laiska wrote:Third: I really do love the thought you've put into the various personality types of the children! Focal characters who aren't neurotypical and aren't treated as a novelty are rare.
Ah, you beat me to it, but I agree---that's one feature of this project that has especially caught my interest. It's so refreshing.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#7 Post by Harliqueen »

This sounds really interesting, (and a lot of work for you! :D). Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

I really like that character selection screen, and the use of brighter colours.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by noeinan »

78909087 wrote:This looks super interesting.
The idea behind the different 'races' and story-line adoptions is intriguing as well. I must say I love that you removed the stigma behind depression, and that you're exploring so many varied children.
Your backstory seems very solid, which is always a plus, and while the large number of in-game tasks look like they'll take a long time to fine-tune, it's very interesting.

I'll be watching for updates!
Thank you! I really wanted to concentrate on a different perspective than many fantasy stories, that take place in a very homogeneous area, and when anything like race/ethnicity is explored it is generally about humans/elves/dwarves (or has a single token character from another part of the world.)

I wanted to also include things like depression, and have it dealt with in a realistic and compassionate way. From my readings so far, the Ottoman Empire actually did address mental illness and even personality issues in their medical practice. There were whole hospitals dedicated to mental illness, and unlike a lot of horror stories from history the treatment seems to have been very well-- food was a big part of treatment in the Ottoman Empire, and on hand chefs created personalized dishes for ever patient.

I will probably have to take artistic liberties, but I've been researching so that I have a good base to work off of. I want to make sure I'm getting things right, and that any changes aren't horribly offensive, so I'm hoping to get some queer Muslim proof-readers and folks from the middle east, too.

Anyway, not to ramble on! If anyone's interested in what we know about their medicine, especially food as treatment, this is an excellent link: http://www.theislamicgoldenage.com/food ... ilization/

This one is shorter, and talks more about the chief physician at Tokapi Palace: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/medici ... sCatID=438
78909087 wrote:I must say I'm a fan of child-rearing sims, or sims in general, and while I attempted to make one myself, I found I was unable to keep up with the immense variety. (Kudos to you)
Haha, that's why I put the disclaimer at the top "don't expect this to be done anytime soon!!" It's a *lot* of work, but working on it makes me happy, so I'm going to keep working on it and see how things progress. :) Maybe I'll be able to expand my team later on!
verysunshine wrote:This does look fascinating. The concepts of different races, genders, and religions affecting the game is brilliant, and your art looks gorgeous! I look forward to (possibly) testing it.
Thank you very much-- I only recently started learning how to shade and color, so I'm a little nervous about the quality, haha. But I've decided I'm just going to get out the basic sprites and then not touch them at all until other parts of the game is finished, because I'll probably have to end up redrawing them all by that point.

I talked a little about this in my above reply, but I really wanted to explore the diversity and intersections thereof. Because of that, the Ottoman Empire was a great place to start-- they had different clothing based on gender, ethnicity/religion, and social status-- which at some points in their history was actually enforced by law. Different colored hats showed different religions, and as a general rule using more layers as well as types of furs and fabrics showed social status.

I've changed quite a bit around their gendered clothing, to make up for the extra gender role I've added-- and I'm still going to need to do some work on said gender roles, since I removed the whole "man is the head of the household" bit and replaced it with a religious role.

In any case, thank you for dropping in!
Laiska wrote:First thought: Diversity! Yay!
Yus!
Laiska wrote:Second thought: Which do you think will be more the focus of the game? The child's life or the player's life? Or will they be about equal? I'm trying to picture how the game would actually play. It would be a little difficult to romance anyone while you're focusing on a child. Or is that sort of the point? If you start paying too much attention to someone else, would the child grow jealous?
So, here is how I imagine the breakdown:

-The game is primarily about your relationship with your child.
-The everyday events that go on in your lives together are centered.
-You can only make choices as yourself-- not your child.
-Sometimes you, the player, see things from your child's perspective when Derya is not present.
-The romance is integrated more into the story because it's not just about Derya romantic exploits with said person-- it is about said person joining your family as a whole, and thus also about their relationship with your child.

That last point is evident of a really strong cultural difference between modern Western ideas of love and the game's culture where people are viewed as part of a family first and individuals second. Bringing a new person into the family is a family decision, and marriage at this point in time wasn't actually *about* love in the first place-- marriage for love is a fairly new idea in the scope of human history. However! It is a romance route, so it will be about love, but that is aided by the fact that Derya is in a somewhat unique position, having no family members in order to set up a match for them. (Or just being so stigmatized that they have been unable to get married up until this point.)
Laiska wrote:Third: I really do love the thought you've put into the various personality types of the children! Focal characters who aren't neurotypical and aren't treated as a novelty are rare.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I'm neurodivergent myself (although it's never been a strong identity for me) and I am hoping to get other neurodivergent folks, especially those who are neurodivergent in different ways, to read once I've got some more done so that I can get suggestions on improvement!
HiddenCreature wrote:Very fascinating so far. Do you plan on recruiting help to finish the game sooner?
I may do that once I've got more of the base writing done. Writing is probably going to be the biggest amount of work for this game, and I'd love to have help, but I want to make sure that I have a good amount worked on first so that someone coming into the project can see what it's about.

I had a kind of bad experience with a writer on another project, where I guess I didn't communicate the genre very effectively and they had an entirely different belief... (Low key slice of life vs. high fantasy epic adventure)

So I know at least I'm going to need a "series bible" and a decent amount of scenes written to give a good picture of what the project is about.
Mad Harlequin wrote: Ah, you beat me to it, but I agree---that's one feature of this project that has especially caught my interest. It's so refreshing.
Thank you, I'm excited to see so many people are interested!
Harliqueen wrote:This sounds really interesting, (and a lot of work for you! :D). Will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

I really like that character selection screen, and the use of brighter colours.
Thanks, it's definitely going to be a lot of work!

I'm glad you like the character selection screen-- I started this with no idea about what I was going to do with GUI, and decided that I'd just experiment freely and see how it turned out. So many vns use squares or circles in their design, so I decided to center mine on triangles, though I'm a bit worried it might end up looking too cluttered?

I'm not sure how it will turn out, and I may end up needing to redo all of it before completion, but I'm really happy to hear you like it-- I was pretty nervous, haha.

This is what I have so far for the home screen, using a similar GUI design:

Using one of Uncle Mugen's free backgrounds as a placeholder until I get some background art churned out. (The characters look pretty strange in a modern setting, haha.)

The top left will be the calendar-- but I'm waiting to fill it in until I reprogram the calendar code to follow the old Islamic calendar instead of the modern Gregorian calendar.

On the right is the "home panel" which is divided into two sections. At the top, you have your child's age and first/last name. (Derya Emin is the default name for the player, but you can change it.) Still need to do some code to make those words centered instead of left to right.

The five empty diamond shapes will display status effects (like if your kid is sick or rebellious) and the elongated buttons on the right and left with hearts display your child's info (including their relationship with you) and then your relationship stats with the romanceable characters. "Akce" is the currency of the period, but I'm going to have to do some more research before I can get the numbers right. (Like X for a day of work at this job, X amount for a new dress, etc.)

The first four square buttons cover basic screens and actions-- looking at the stats of your child, talking to them, going to the inventory where you can give them different outfits, and then the save button. The last four square buttons cover places you can travel inside the city-- castle walls, the market/shops, the mosque (which has many facilities on its campus, such as a library and hospital), and lastly the palace.

And of course, your schedule button so that you can choose what to do for the month. :)

I've got everything programmed and working in the home screen, but I still need to do GUI art and programming for the sub-menus.
Last edited by noeinan on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

The GUI looks fantastic! Really neat and compact, enough to give you all the info without getting in the way I think. The triangle influence is also a great idea, it really does add a difference to the norm.

From the sounds of it, it's going to be quite a complex game with so many details. Good luck with it, I'm really looking forward to seeing more! :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by noeinan »

Thanks, I'm glad that you like it! It took me a while shooting through sketch designs to get something I was okay with, and I was still worried it would be too "weird" and distracting for the player, so it's great to hear!

I've added some sketches of the original GUI designs-- some things have changed and other things haven't. Mostly I've been working on making sure I'm using the space effectively so there are no glaring holes and important things (like your kid) aren't covered up. Once I've got the primary GUI all programmed in, I'm hoping to create a small "test" demo to make sure everything is ergonomic, get rid of any really annoying placements early on, add buttons, etc. (Nothing more annoying than having to deal with wasteful GUI in a game.) Probably quite a lot of work before that point, though! Need to at least have enough writing to make it interesting.

It was a long day and I was too tired to add these to photobucket, so I attached them instead-- sorry for any inconvenience!
Attachments
Character Select Screen Sketch.png
Home Screen Sketch.png
Schedule Screen Sketch.png
Child Info Screen Sketch.png
Misc Screen Sketches.png

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by noeinan »

Here are the other three outfits for the gender neutral MC-- the Historian, Sorcerer, and Doctor. (Added the Ambassador image from the first post, just for color comparison.)

Image Image

Image Image

Colors aren't final-- I'd thought about making bright red or orange cloaks a social symbol of sorcerers (required by law) and maybe making doctors clothes in white with either greyscale or blues. However, there are also required colors of head coverings based on ethnic group, and possibly religion, so if there are multiple color requirements... Making outfits that look okay is going to be difficult.

I will probably go with these for now, but I may change the colors around as I read up more on Ottoman fashion, and make more educated decisions on how clothing laws will fit into this society.

In other news, I've been getting started on writing/dialogue and to ease some of my anxiety over that (I'm not much of a writer) I decided to start writing down all the dialogue from Princess Maker 2 so I would have a word count comparison. And actually... Wow, there isn't that much writing in PM2! And the writing that is there is really simple and straightforward. I think it's really an example of how visual novel based games can be made really fun with awesome world building, without flowery language.

Ideally, I may want to add a writer later on, but I want to get the first draft in myself just so I have a base to work off of. So that made me feel pretty good! (I have played PM2 for the past 2 days and only have written down 5k words, because they reuse text so much and the game is so simulation-y. This game will have a lot more than that, because the plan is to actually have a more relationship oriented game, with more personal choices, etc. but that number really helps me not feel overwhelmed.)
Last edited by noeinan on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by noeinan »

It's been a while since I've had something I felt I could post, but here's a WIP of a few more screens I've been working on.

The Love Interest Info screen, with working bars for various relationship stats. The relationship stats are Communication (green), Love (pink), and Trust (purple). After some thinking, I've been considering replacing Trust with Respect instead, as I feel good communication builds good trust but respect has a bit of a different connotation... Or maybe I should replace Communication with Respect, and have interpersonal communication be a character skill? I'd felt pretty strongly about communication as a relationship stat though. Well, we'll see how it goes!

Ideally, I'll have love interest portraits in the diamonds and do... something with the name labels. Maybe just add a lighter outline to the text so it stands out with the background. Or maybe just get rid of that altogether, and let the portrait stand on its own. Maybe clicking on the portrait will open up an extended info page? Still thinking on this one.

The Scheduling Screen, with the first menu set. Here, the player will get to pick whether they're sending their child out for work, to learn, to play, or to leave the city. (I originally had some alliteration with employment, education, entertainment, and exploration, but they were too long and didn't fit the buttons.) I'll need to get some kind of image to represent each one, and maybe a smaller symbol for the little diamond. (Or I may leave it blank, depends on how it looks.)

The empty pentagon up top will have a simplified image that changes based on the season, and right below that will have the title of the month in question. The darker colored row on the grid will have symbols representing each day of the week, though I'm going to have to do a bit more studying to figure that out. I wanted to use their Arabic names, but unfortunately they are too long to fit into those tiny boxes.

The two buttons at the bottom are to either approve of the current schedule and continue, or cancel out of the screen and return to the home menu.

Of note, the four bottom square buttons of the home menu allow your child to explore inside the city, and the "Leave" button allows your child to exit the city. Going outside of the city will eat up more time because it's, obviously, not as easily accessible. I've considered a variety of options for travel outside, like needing to bribe the soldiers who guard the city walls (but getting a bonus if you've made friends with them) or spending more money for safer/faster transportation. When traveling, you may have random events-- if you're traveling with someone in particular, you may get special "camp" scenes with them, or you could get attacked by bandits.

There's still a lot of work to do, but I'm happy I was able to get some done today (been working on paid work lately, leaving me less time for personal projects.) Now I just have to figure out how to program the scheduler. Ideally, it should generate the numbers according to the programmed calendar. The blue squares fill in days that show from inactive months. Then, you should be able to click each week and then set the activities. The week will change color to represent that you've already selected an activity. I can already tell this is going to be a huge mess, so it might take me a while, haha. (I have to make it generate properly, and then somehow link each week together as a single button even though it's seven individual images...)

Taffyhead

#13 Post by Taffyhead »

This game looks very interesting, I look forward to playing it when it comes out! Quick question, how long will the game be? Will it end when the child turns 18 like in Princess Maker or will it end in a different way?

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by noeinan »

Taffyhead wrote:This game looks very interesting, I look forward to playing it when it comes out! Quick question, how long will the game be? Will it end when the child turns 18 like in Princess Maker or will it end in a different way?
Thanks! From the start I had been planning to make the game have similar length to PM2-- though I'm not sure if it will be 18, or if this country's age of majority is different. Ex. for some countries it's 15 or even 20.) Just like PM2, you plan for the month, which means a single year can go by pretty quick. However, there is a lot more to do at the end of each month, due to the various places you can explore, and I was thinking there would be more random events throughout the month.

I might also *not* have a set year for the end of the game. It might be that, instead, the game ends once your child has determined their future and starts to live on their own. A kid who becomes self-sufficient very early might leave earlier, or if they get married and start a family early, or if something untoward happens to them. I think this could be interesting, because then there is a possibility of achievements based on the length of time it takes your kid to get sufficient-- but even if they are very competent, their relationship with you would likely have some effect on whether they leave or not. (Even if you feel you can take care of things, if your relationship with your parent is good you might decide to take advantage of living with them for longer to give yourself an even bigger advantage when you leave.)

I'll likely make the final decision as I work on the game, based on what I feel is feasible and how folks feel about the pacing when they playtest.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by noeinan »

Finally finished all the sprites for the female player character! I felt really intimidated by the flowing fabric on the ambassador, so it took me a while to gather my courage and do it anyway. >< I also ended up needing to change the colors, because originally I had planned to have a dark blue headscarf represent the female MC's ethnic group, but no matter what I couldn't make that look good with the bright red required of sorcerers. I think the new colors turned out better than the first ones, though.

Only the male MC after this, and then all the parents and children are done and I can get started on NPCs. :D

Image Image

Image Image