Oh My Deer [GxB][Romance][Comedy][Animal Transformation]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Willowen
Projects: Oh My Deer
Organization: Endless Production
Tumblr: Endless-Production
Deviantart: Willowen

Oh My Deer [GxB][Romance][Comedy][Animal Transformation]

#1 Post by Willowen »

On somewhat of a hiatus
I will still be working on this project every so often but with my first year of art college starting up, I'm finding less time to be able to work on this and having to spend more time on finishing school assignments. I hope you all can forgive me!

“Life of excitement. Life of wonder. They all jump making sounds of thunder. They are always close but may at times be far away. For they can get skittish along the way. If you wish to run free but always on dangerous ground then please, by all means. Eat me.”

Living at the edge of boredom on a camping trip, Claret waits in the back of her families van. This is her last trip with her family before going off to Europe to study abroad. Thinking this summer will be like all the rest of the camping adventures her parents took, little did she know how much more chaotic, stressed, and furry this vacation was going to get.

On a nightly stroll close to the forest, Claret finds a random jar of berries with an odd note in it. Being the curious one that she is, Claret eats a few of them. Upon feeling sick and collapsing, she wakes up only to find herself staring at a black nose, hooves as feet, and a very fluffy white tail. Oh my deer! She's transformed into a lovely doe.

Turning into a clumsy skittish four legged animal by the day and a human at night, will Claret be able to find the Berry Collector with the help of an owl named Twig and what Mother Nature may call an ‘attractive’ buck named Oak?

Main

Claret
Image ImageImage
The main heroine of the game. Claret is known for her stubborn yet curious personality. She somehow gets wrapped up in a berry big mess and transforms into a doe. She can be very cautious at times but usually jumps into things before thinking ahead. Claret loves all the critters of the forest, especially deer. Overall, she is like the Bambi we all know and love (but a little more headstrong).

Oak
ImageImage
Getting guilt in at first into helping Claret find the Berry Collector, Oak joins the journey. As all handsome bucks are, Oak is very prideful but can care deeply for those close to him. He has a few trust issues and in a sense, is older and more mature than Claret. He knows the ins and outs of the forest allowing him to survive for as long as he has. He likes to keep distance between himself and other deer. Not very many know about his past nor is he willing to share it but maybe Claret will figure him out along the way.

Twig
Known as the mama owl of the forest, Twig is the first to step up and help Claret. She has known Oak since he was a little fawn. Twig has a very kind, gentle, and joyful personality. When she speaks up, many listen to what she has to say. Stubborn as an ox yet wise as the Berry Collector, Twig is the go to animal when in need of some advice.

Berry Collector
The one who kind of started the whole mess. Very few know who or even what the Berry Collector is but he lives very deep in the forest, away from most other animals. As the Berry Collector, he plants, harvests, and creates berries with magical powers. Some have said that he has brought the dead back to life with his berries or given unnatural strength to those worthy. He is known as a legend in the forest. Will Claret with her new animal comrades be able to find him?

Supporting

Claret's Mother
She is very outgoing but can let her emotions take over her (just like Claret). She can get very worried at times, especially anything relating to her daughter.

Claret's Father
Unlike Claret's mother, her father can be a little more reserved. He has a great relationship with Claret and is the go to guy when in need of help. He loves to make jokes and sometimes goof off when life gets too serious.

Other Animals - Hidden until game is released

Gameplay: An easy follow the story line and change your fate by your decisions sort of visual novel.

*Set to Change*
1 Potential character to go after
A Prologue and 3 Acts
4 Endings
Multiple CG’s, BG’s and 3 unlockable wallpapers
BG Music and possibly sound affects

Note: This visual novel is going to be absolutely FREE!

Example Backgrounds (.JPG - high quality will be in actual VN)
There will be multiple transitions in BG's from day to night and other magical stuff. \( ´ ▽ ` )/~♪

Story: COMPLETE ( ・ิω・ิ)
Characters: COMPLETE
Script: 25% - Just need to do 3 Acts!
Coding: 0% - Err, not yet ( ´_ゝ`)
CG: 7% - ...
BG: 32%
GUI: 10%
Music: 75% - I will not be creating any music or sounds for this project and will be using CC free music/sounds from other brilliant musicians. A list will be created soon.

Release Date: TBA - I am going to try and finish this for the SuNoFes (Deadline: August 10, 2015)

Story, Art, and Programming: Willowen
Editor:theskiesareblue
Proofreaders: mochiepie and DrivenByTheWind
Beta Testers: Will Need!

1. What are your hopes for this visual novel?
2. Would you like to see example CG's and/or BG's? - I don't want to spoil too much!
3. Would you like to see other animals in the game as well?
4. For future reference, would a demo of the VN be nice? It would probably contain the Prologue and a part of Act 1.

Update 7/12/15
Finished Character Sprites for Claret and Oak
Changed Storyline
Created Tumblr account for game - http://endless-production.tumblr.com/
- I will be posting WIP and many other things on tumblr so stay tuned!
Update 7/18/15
Finished Prologue
Found an Editor (Yipee!) - In need of one or two proofreaders :3
Update 7/27/15
Found two proofreaders!
Finished character Sprites (there is a lot of them!)
Started CG's
Update 7/27/15
Added Example Visuals
Last edited by Willowen on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 19 times in total.

spearcarrier
Regular
Projects: The Heavenly Bride
Organization: The Apocalypse Writers
Deviantart: spearcarrier

Re: Oh My Deer [GxB][Romance][Comedy][Animal Transformation]

#2 Post by spearcarrier »

I'm intrigued! Can't wait to see it out!
Blog portal: http://www.apocalypsewriters.com
Current soul-sucking webcomic of doom project: http://www.theheavenlybride.com
Current visual novel project: The Brat
Sometimes I act and sing: http://www.apocalypsewriters.com/Kat_Blue
Deviantart: http://spearcarrier.deviantart.com

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Willowen wrote:First post on here for my first game! Boo-ya! I'm a total newbie at creating visual novels so if you have the time to reply, I'd love to hear all your feedback!
- What do you all think of the idea behind the story so far?
- Are the characters likable?
- Would you say using Ren'py is challenging? Overall, is it a good beginner program?
1) Interesting concept, though I feel like it may be a hard sell due to the fact that you would essentially be staring at a deer for most of the game. And unlike a Disney movie, a VN has less ability for the characters to emote which is what makes the Disney animals engaging to a human viewer. I think it could be more interesting if she were able to shapeshift back and forth and the other deer was also a shapeshifter. It would still have the motivation to rid herself of the curse, perhaps as a human she also gains some deer-like features that would make it difficult to show herself. And it would make it more appealing of a potential ending to stay as she is if she wasn't trapped as a deer.

2) Kind of hard to tell at such an early stage.

3) No, I wouldn't say it's challenging. It's a good beginner's program even if you are coming from not having any programming experience whatsoever.

Willowen

#4 Post by Willowen »

spearcarrier wrote:I'm intrigued! Can't wait to see it out!
Yay, I'm glad to hear that!
SundownKid wrote:
Willowen wrote:First post on here for my first game! Boo-ya! I'm a total newbie at creating visual novels so if you have the time to reply, I'd love to hear all your feedback!
- What do you all think of the idea behind the story so far?
- Are the characters likable?
- Would you say using Ren'py is challenging? Overall, is it a good beginner program?
1) Interesting concept, though I feel like it may be a hard sell due to the fact that you would essentially be staring at a deer for most of the game. And unlike a Disney movie, a VN has less ability for the characters to emote which is what makes the Disney animals engaging to a human viewer. I think it could be more interesting if she were able to shapeshift back and forth and the other deer was also a shapeshifter. It would still have the motivation to rid herself of the curse, perhaps as a human she also gains some deer-like features that would make it difficult to show herself. And it would make it more appealing of a potential ending to stay as she is if she wasn't trapped as a deer.

3) No, I wouldn't say it's challenging. It's a good beginner's program even if you are coming from not having any programming experience whatsoever.
Oh my goodness! Thank your for the awesome advice. I didn't even think about the characters transforming back and forth from a human to a deer. I just tweaked the storyline a little and made Oak a human sprite and Claret a half deer sprite as well. Thanks again for the idea!
Last edited by Willowen on Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Working on

SuperLexxx
Regular

#5 Post by SuperLexxx »

SundownKid wrote: 1) Interesting concept, though I feel like it may be a hard sell due to the fact that you would essentially be staring at a deer for most of the game. And unlike a Disney movie, a VN has less ability for the characters to emote which is what makes the Disney animals engaging to a human viewer. I think it could be more interesting if she were able to shapeshift back and forth and the other deer was also a shapeshifter. It would still have the motivation to rid herself of the curse, perhaps as a human she also gains some deer-like features that would make it difficult to show herself. And it would make it more appealing of a potential ending to stay as she is if she wasn't trapped as a deer.

Well, Hatoful Boyfriend is a VN where you date pigeons and it's incredibly popular so I think players can handle staring at deer, haha.

This looks like a really intriguing concept. Can't wait to see some more of it! :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

SuperLexxx wrote: Well, Hatoful Boyfriend is a VN where you date pigeons and it's incredibly popular so I think players can handle staring at deer, haha.

This looks like a really intriguing concept. Can't wait to see some more of it! :)
True, true. However, Hatoful Boyfriend is sort of positioned as a "lol, parody" VN where the fact that they are pigeons is laughable. I'm assuming the story would be a bit more serious in that regard.

It's cool that you integrated the ideas, glad to have helped.

iamwhatonearth
Regular
Projects: The Town Called Data
Tumblr: iamwhatonearth
Deviantart: whatonearth

#7 Post by iamwhatonearth »

I think it sounds interesting. I think adding in transformation was a good move but you'll need some explanation why there are more shape-shifters and Twig should probably have a human form too for consistency.

Were they once full humans who ate berries too? Or do the berries have the opposite effect on forest animals (aka animal by day, human by night), etc. XD

UsaBerryHime
Regular
Completed: Destiny Voyage
Projects: {Destiny Movie}, [Stolen Destiny
Tumblr: usaberryhime
Deviantart: UsaBerryHime
itch: usaberryhime

#8 Post by UsaBerryHime »

I really love this concept because it can be serious, but it has a lighthearted and cute undertone too~ Oak is really cool too!

I think you created appropriate sprites for personification into animals ( ^ u ^ ) I like how you can still tell that that's the same character~

And I agree with:
iamwhatonearth wrote: Twig should probably have a human form too for consistency.
As long as the story could allow for that to happen. :)
Image Image Image

Willowen

#9 Post by Willowen »

SuperLexxx wrote:Well, Hatoful Boyfriend is a VN where you date pigeons and it's incredibly popular so I think players can handle staring at deer, haha.

This looks like a really intriguing concept. Can't wait to see some more of it!
Hatoful Boyfriend is a really cute game! I'm hoping this VN will give off the same vibe with the animals but maybe with a darker feel to it. I'm also glad that you are interested in the game! Really makes my day and want to finish it faster. Thanks for commenting. (*´∀`*)
iamwhatonearth wrote: I think adding in transformation was a good move but you'll need some explanation why there are more shape-shifters and Twig should probably have a human form too for consistency.

Were they once full humans who ate berries too? Or do the berries have the opposite effect on forest animals (aka animal by day, human by night), etc. XD
O-ho! I do have a plan for why Oak transformed. You are actually right on the dot with the berries having the opposite affect. I'll explain it more in the VN. I'm not quite sure if I'll need to make a human sprite for Twig if all goes well but maybe for an unlockable CG?

Thank you for the wonderful feedback as well. Helped me think out the berry situation a little more. (*´ω`*)
UsaBerryHime wrote: I really love this concept because it can be serious, but it has a lighthearted and cute undertone too~ Oak is really cool too!

I think you created appropriate sprites for personification into animals ( ^ u ^ ) I like how you can still tell that that's the same character~
That's exactly what I'm going for mood wise! I'm hoping for it to be lighthearted most of the time but have the ability to be serious in certain situations. I also want there to be some comedic moments.

I won't lie, when I drew Oak I felt as though I looked like this ---> (✧≖‿ゝ≖) I couldn't stop giggling when I made all of his different sprites. (*ノ∀ノ)

It's also good to hear that the animal sprites physical appearances have the same traits as their human sprites. I was pretty worried about that with Oak and did a lot of changes here and there for him such as his antlers. I didn't know if I wanted to make them look the same or cuter on his human form.

---
Overall, thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback. It is definitely helping me develop and improve the visual novel. I don't know what I would do without you!

I have not finished the script yet but was wondering if anyone would be interested in proofreading and giving feedback on the prologue? I don't know if there is actually a right or wrong way to write a script for a VN but I'm worried that it may be too text heavy and would prefer not to have to edit the entire script over because of it. However, I was reading A Troll's Fairytale which has a lot of descriptions of actions and backgrounds mixed in with the character dialogue, but then read Charlatans, a KN and there is little to no descriptions and is all dialogue! (0.0) Oh boy.

I can upload it to Sta.sh on deviantart, PM, or email.
Currently Working on

mick.mortdeca

#10 Post by mick.mortdeca »

Haha! love the characters. Looks very good so far. Keep up the good work!

Willowen

#11 Post by Willowen »

Story: 100% - COMPLETE ( ・ิω・ิ)
Characters: 100%
Script: 25% - Just need to do 3 Acts!
Coding: 0% - Err, not yet ( ´_ゝ`)
CG: 5% - ...
BG: 25%
GUI: 10%

Found an Editor! - akumapearl (though have not heard from her in a while...)
Found Proofreaders! - mochiepie and theskiesareblue

New Characters
Claret's Mother
She is very outgoing but can let her emotions take over her (just like Claret). She can get very worried at times, especially anything relating to her daughter, Claret.

Claret's Father
Unlike Claret's mother, her father can be a little more reserved. He has a great relationship with Claret and is the go to guy when in need of help. He loves to make jokes and sometimes goof off when life gets too serious.

Other Animals - Hidden

2. Would you like to see example CG's and/or BG's? - I don't want to spoil too much!
Currently Working on

Willowen

#12 Post by Willowen »

mick.mortdeca wrote:Haha! love the characters. Looks very good so far. Keep up the good work!
Haha, thanks! I will be working hard to finish it. (*´∀`*)
Currently Working on

Sharane
Regular

#13 Post by Sharane »

The name of your game is funny and original so it caught my attention immediately. I opened the topic and... I saw little blue deers. They are so cute! :lol:

Okay, back to your questions:
I´m curious about the explanation and how it turns out. I would like to know the reason why there are so many people turned into the animals - and why wasn´t anybody searching for them? They were just announced as lost...?
Yes, definitely :)
Yes, yes, yes :)
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#14 Post by neuropsy »

Ah, there's nothing actually in specific I was hoping for! I opened up the thread and was happy with what I saw. If I do have a hope, though... I suppose that it does deliver nice romance and comedy? :D I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Ooh, as long as its not going to compromise anyone's enjoyment of the story (such as a CG that gives away an obvious spoiler), I would love to see an example. Even one CG is fine! The art is very soft and pretty.

Haha, that would great! Since the game is about animal transformation, it would be cool to meet animal side characters to help Claret on her quest.

As for my general comments, the plot sounds both interesting and funny! This is definitely a game I want to play when it comes out. :D There aren't very many games that feature animals as protagonists.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

Willowen

#15 Post by Willowen »

Sharane wrote:The name of your game is funny and original so it caught my attention immediately. I opened the topic and... I saw little blue deers. They are so cute! :lol:

Okay, back to your questions:
I´m curious about the explanation and how it turns out. I would like to know the reason why there are so many people turned into the animals - and why wasn´t anybody searching for them? They were just announced as lost...?
Yes, definitely :)
Yes, yes, yes :)
Haha! I love the little blue deers too! ♥ Thank you for the feedback. All will be revealed in the visual novel (someday!). (*´∀`*)
Currently Working on